PDA

View Full Version : Are you an Autotonsorialist?

Daydreamer.
March 21st, 2016, 05:47 AM
In other words, are you a person who cuts your own hair? If so, when did you start cutting your hair? What kind of scissors do you use? Any trimming mishaps? Do you have any hair cutting tips you would like to share?
http://s21.postimg.org/7gf0jkgoj/tumblr_o2tu57gu_La1uajun4o1_500.jpg (http://postimg.org/image/7gf0jkgoj/)

Estrid
March 21st, 2016, 05:56 AM
Hah, I clicked the thread because of the funny word that I had never heard before :bluebiggr but yeah, I guess I am.

I haven't had anyone else cut my hair since jan 2014, I did a poor self-cut in may 2014 to even things out for the growing out... aaaand 2015 was a no-trim year.
I did my first trim using feye's trimming instructions some weeks ago and plan on keeping up with that.

I use a jaguar scissor, not sure of the exact name, too lazy to get up and check.

parkmikii
March 21st, 2016, 05:57 AM
Yes! I've been cutting my own hair using the 'ponytail under the chin' method for several years now ^^

fiğrildi
March 21st, 2016, 06:20 AM
A new word to learn :laugh:

I started self-trimming 3 years ago (Feye's method). I use "EuroStil" professional scissors.

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 06:30 AM
Yes, first Feye's. Now the compact cutting techniques for layers. I used to cut my hair as a teen (15/16) and all the way into my twenties (when I shaved it all off). Usually I'd section it into two, then pull it out to the sides (around my ear) in a ponytail and cut it off. Where I got that idea, I don't know, I just tried a lot of cutting techniques that were just freehanded and "thought up".

My mom cuts it for me. It's easy just putting it into a ponytail and cutting it, isn't it?

Wusel
March 21st, 2016, 06:45 AM
I was self-trimming my whole life. Since puberty, I think... The first time I went to a salon was when I was about 30 or so. Later I was self-trimming again until the big chop from waist to... you know... and now I plan to never visit a salon again because I'm a good and experienced self-trimmer and a hobby-hair-stylist for others. I cut my dad's and my SO's hair... I have some 10€ hair scissors.

Crystawni
March 21st, 2016, 07:27 AM
Yes, for more years than I care to admit. :p I started with my dolls... and probs my own hair around the same time. I then became the snipper for family and friends since around the age of 15 while still primarily looking after my own fringe and face-framers (t'was the 80s, and growing out those fringes that were shorter above than below was aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!). My kids grew up without visiting a hairdresser (OMG, that scene hair phase was "fun"... actually, so were mohawks...), and my longhaired girls still come to me for the occasional trim although I've taught them both to self-trim.

To get my hair layered (the 80s really were a great time to practice this as layers were BIG, like the hair), I'd comb small sections straight up above my head and snip straight across (no point snips, and the first section determined the length for the rest), or side sections up, to the side and lower (playing with angles). The hemline I'd get hubster to do, even after rare visits to the hairdresser or barber as they'd often stuff it up, leaving random curls and wurls longer or even untrimmed... He has an excellent eye for levels, and a steady hand with the scissors (his granddad was a hairdresser, but he's actually a carpenter). Now my hair's too long to do my usual method (monkey arms only stretch sooooo far), so I do a version similar to Feye's across the shoulder cuts, but without the hairtie, and layers are done with my head flipped over (the very ends flying in front of my face are clamped between my fingers and snipped straight across). Face framers are angled in with a simple, confident sliding action (same method I use on others), which is also how I'd blend any fringe/bangs that'd be growing out. I get my best hemlines by cutting in the shower when my hair is under the running water. As for scissors, I have a few pairs that have come with electric haircutting kits, but prefer my slightly larger black-handled ones as they're more comfortable, robust and have lasted years with the occasional tweak on hub's sharpening stone.

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 07:40 AM
Oh now I remember. My mom had kept this insert from a magazine that featured drawings of heads of hair (styles) and then how the style was cut in a diagram. I got those ideas from there. I no longer have that insert, but it was super interesting and featured a lot of cuts.

reilly0167
March 21st, 2016, 08:02 AM
It is an interesting new word. I microtrim my hair using my hair shears from conair, no specific method but what I do and it works for me is I section my hair in fours and trim a section at a time in an angle, maintaining long layers, otherwise I have that pyramid shape with my curly hair as I'm growing it long.

lillielil
March 21st, 2016, 08:04 AM
Yes, I've always just kind of snipped and assumed it would work out ok. DW cut it for me for a while when I wore shorter styles (and actual layers and whatnot). I've followed the 1940's haircut diagrams that are floating around the internet (can't find one source with all of them, but here are "long" (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Rs_LXsPY7h8/Txo0Yia1xiI/AAAAAAAAA_4/AHzFEZGD4pg/s1600/page7.jpg) and baby and middy (https://dmoran227.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/middy1.jpg)).

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 08:39 AM
This is what you get when you lookup: "layering long hair diagram" in Google:
https://www.google.be/search?q=layered+haircut&biw=1238&bih=764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxwtihgNLLAhVFaw8KHX2HBPMQ_AUIBigB#tbm= isch&q=layering+long+hair+diagram

Lots of useful techniques!

Eastbound&Down
March 21st, 2016, 08:40 AM
Yep, although I am doing a no trim year and mainly only do mircotrims/S&D when I do put scissors to my hair. When I get to a better length (probably a little past waist) I may try a compact cut to add some layers. It kinda scares me, so I'm putting it off until I have more length to work with. I have some Oster scissors from Sally's that work pretty well for what I need them for.

SwanFeathers
March 21st, 2016, 09:39 AM
Yes, and pixie cuts can be done at home with some practice!

chen bao jun
March 21st, 2016, 09:44 AM
This is why it's good to study a little Latin. I knew right away what the new word had to mean.
and yeah, I guess I am. I occasionally go to the barber for a trim, but more often, just cut a bit off the end of each curl. being a curly, it doesn't matter if I have an even hemline. It will look wildly uneven anyway due to different shrinkage of different parts on different days.

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 09:44 AM
Yep, although I am doing a no trim year and mainly only do mircotrims/S&D when I do put scissors to my hair. When I get to a better length (probably a little past waist) I may try a compact cut to add some layers. It kinda scares me, so I'm putting it off until I have more length to work with. I have some Oster scissors from Sally's that work pretty well for what I need them for.

Oh yes! Definitely don't do the compact cuts if you are not BSL yet. I'd wait at least until waist, or you might give yourself a fright by how short the shortest layers are.

Silverbleed
March 21st, 2016, 09:48 AM
Yes, I am cutting my own hair because I still haven't found salon I feel comfortable at.
And I have no experience whatsoever. I've only cut my hair a few times, simply some small trims.

Sooo this thread may be useful for me c: I'll absolutely follow this.
However I think for me it's best at one point to just get one good haircut and keep it neat by myself.

Mirabele
March 21st, 2016, 09:59 AM
I only started recently and very happy to be able to do it. Before LHC i had no idea it was possible.

LongCurlyTress
March 21st, 2016, 10:05 AM
This is what you get when you lookup: "layering long hair diagram" in Google:
https://www.google.be/search?q=layered+haircut&biw=1238&bih=764&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjxwtihgNLLAhVFaw8KHX2HBPMQ_AUIBigB#tbm= isch&q=layering+long+hair+diagram

Lots of useful techniques!

I love this page lapushka! Thank you for reposting it!! ;) I have tried a few of these, most recently in 2011 with the creaclip in front of my face, and my hemline came out all uneven and jaggedy with a pointy V shaped hemline which I am currently trying to grow into an even hemline. I wanted so badly for these layers too reduce the weight of my hair, but they made my hair care so difficult with some short ends not even fitting into my bun. Maybe I should try some of the techniques with the head tilted backwards and having someone else trim? I am glad the compact cut works for you... ;) I wish it had for me...;(

MandyBeth
March 21st, 2016, 10:17 AM
I don't cut my own hair besides s&d. But I cut my kids hair usually. I want to say my scissors are Saki Katana, but they're at home.

Zesty
March 21st, 2016, 10:22 AM
However I think for me it's best at one point to just get one good haircut and keep it neat by myself.

That's what I did when I decided to grow out my short haircut. :) Went to the salon to get it even (ironically she got it crooked -- no more salons for me).

I will be cutting my own hair when I start trimming again. Right now I'm on a no-trim stint. When my hair was past waist before I trimmed it myself and it went just fine once I got the hang of it. I'm not planning on trimming very much for a long while though (until I reach a length I want to maintain), just enough to snip off wispy ends.

Eastbound&Down
March 21st, 2016, 10:36 AM
Oh yes! Definitely don't do the compact cuts if you are not BSL yet. I'd wait at least until waist, or you might give yourself a fright by how short the shortest layers are.

Absolutely! I'm just below BSL, and don't need any scares right now! I have some layers from my last cut in June last year, so no rush.

Olavi
March 21st, 2016, 10:46 AM
I have been cutting my own hair since fall 2011. I'm currently almost at BSL and I use S&D AND compact cut. I used compact cut when I made a big cut from BSL to shoulder last summer and I have done it several times after that to get layers (blunt long bob looked boring on me) and apart from missing the lost length the results looked great.

I also cut my BFF's, my dad's and my big brother's hair sometimes too, and it's way more nerve wrecking than cutting my own hair :laugh:

Agnes Hannah
March 21st, 2016, 12:24 PM
Oh yes I guess I am!! I have been cutting my hair since joining LHC and I used to do it before when I was in my twenties to stop hairdressers cutting too much off!! I stopped because people thought I was strange. Wish I had ignored them now!

Anya15
March 21st, 2016, 12:24 PM
Yay, new word :)

I've never done it before. But I am thinking to begin self trimming now that I want to grow my hair out...any tips/suggestions?

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 12:30 PM

I've never done it before. But I am thinking to begin self trimming now that I want to grow my hair out...any tips/suggestions?

Try looking at Feye's self-trimming instructions. If you follow them closely, you can hardly mess this up.
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Sarahlabyrinth
March 21st, 2016, 01:22 PM
I have been self trimming since finding TLHC. I use cheap hair cutting scissors from the drugstore. I started using Spidermom's method (ponytail under the chin) but have since switched to using Emi Longhairedatheart's method (on Youtube). Now that my hair is longer I find that simpler.

LongCurlyTress
March 21st, 2016, 02:14 PM
I have been self trimming since finding TLHC. I use cheap hair cutting scissors from the drugstore. I started using Spidermom's method (ponytail under the chin) but have since switched to using Emi Longhairedatheart's method (on Youtube). Now that my hair is longer I find that simpler.

When using Emi's technique, do you keep your head straight or tilted backwards or forwards when pulling down the hairtie behind you? I want to work on having a straight hemline with each trim... like yours is in your siggy pic. I have seen some who use Emi's technique and the center section of the hemline comes out shorter than the sides... Oh no!! I don't want that to happen.. Thanks! My guess is they mistakenly tilted their heads backwards as they pulled the hairtie down. ;(

Wosie
March 21st, 2016, 02:19 PM
I've been cutting my family's hair on and off for many years (since I was about 12 and onwards) and my own hair since I was... 18-19 or so (I'll turn 30 soon). I haven't gone to the hairdresser's many times in my life, and since March 2012 I've been solely self-trimming and I'm very happy about it. :3

From the age of 6-15 I can't remember going to a hair dresser even once, and I didn't cut my own hair either... :hmm: I guess my mum must've cut it sometimes during those years, but I can't really remember the circumstances. My hair was quite long back then, but it must've broken off at the ends as it never got longer than ~TBL and I had millions of split ends. (Let's see how long my hair can get without those darned splitties. >=D)

lithostoic
March 21st, 2016, 03:34 PM
I used to when I was like 15 but now I'm scared to. I'll probably just microtrim once I get some good hair scissors.

Sarahm
March 21st, 2016, 04:12 PM
Definitely. I've been to the hairdresser's about .. 15 times in my entire life :p

Sarahm
March 21st, 2016, 04:14 PM

Curly hair is very forgiving when it comes to self-trimming :)

languagenut
March 21st, 2016, 04:17 PM
I love fun words; I think "retronym" is my favorite. :)

In answer to the question, no I'm not; my mom trims my hair, with a pair of Fiskars orange-handle scissors that are almost as old as I am and are used for anything and everything. Not ideal, but they're the best we have, and at least they've been sharpened a few times in their life. But as I probably won't live with my parents my entire life, I do intend to learn how to trim my own hair and others' (for if I have any kids), as I certainly don't want to spend money on haircuts.

Mega Moose
March 21st, 2016, 04:35 PM
Dictionary +1! :D But, to answer your query, I do cut my own hair when it's long enough for me to be able to pull my own ends in front of me so I can trim them... They're getting to that point again! and hopefully I'll be smart enough to not cut a lot of my hair off ever again. I always regret it. :P I have some random pair from Ulta that does the job nicely!

Doom
March 21st, 2016, 05:10 PM
Yes, although I don't use scissors, because the simple act of cutting moves the hair around and makes it imprecise. I use the sideburn trimmer of my electric razor, which is more precise and makes the whole process a lot more like sculpting a 3D shape.

Anya15
March 21st, 2016, 08:27 PM
Try looking at Feye's self-trimming instructions. If you follow them closely, you can hardly mess this up.
http://feyeselftrim.livejournal.com/

Thanks, lapushka! Will definitely check this out. Not trimming right now, but I definitely will have to when my hair stalls.

Curly hair is very forgiving when it comes to self-trimming :)

:) You mean mistakes are hard to spot, right? My hair isn't curly but I get what you mean!

Crystawni
March 21st, 2016, 08:58 PM
If only wavy hair was so forgiving of boo boos or unevenness. Alas, after a day of bunning, ze hair, she be straighter, which highlights the hemline. And the hemline matters (to me) if my hair's down. Thus my fussiness with getting it right via weighing it down with water in the shower, where it sits straighter in a comb. I play with my texture by doing this, yes, but my texture varies anyway between wash days. I do sometimes cut dry, but that's more for a microtrim. And I've noticed no adverse effects from exposing the internal layers via a snip when wet. *touch wood*

spirals
March 21st, 2016, 09:05 PM
Hah, I clicked the thread because of the funny word that I had never heard before :bluebiggr but yeah, I guess I am.
Me, too. I've been doing it 8, 9 years. I don't have a set method but I can tell you I am better at layers than blunt cutting. I use fabric shears which are only used for hair or fabric, period. Before I started growing out I did all kinds of layering methods. I generally would cut a perimeter shape first.

Anya15
March 21st, 2016, 09:25 PM
If only wavy hair was so forgiving of boo boos or unevenness. Alas, after a day of bunning, ze hair, she be straighter, which highlights the hemline. And the hemline matters (to me) if my hair's down. Thus my fussiness with getting it right via weighing it down with water in the shower, where it sits straighter in a comb. I play with my texture by doing this, yes, but my texture varies anyway between wash days. I do sometimes cut dry, but that's more for a microtrim. And I've noticed no adverse effects from exposing the internal layers via a snip when wet. *touch wood*

I hear ya about the varied textures! I have no way of predicting what my hair will look like when I wake up :/

AZDesertRose
March 21st, 2016, 09:25 PM
When I had my hair long before, I did Feye's self trimming method and probably will again when it gets a little longer. I went to a trusted professional stylist for a few years because I wore it shorter and layered and I didn't trust my own skills for that, but since deciding to grow long again, I had the layers cut out at a salon last February (2015) and actually no shears have touched my hair since then. I probably ought to at least S&D, even if I'm not (at BSL) quite long enough to self-trim by Feye's method yet, but honestly, I haven't really seen much in the way of split ends or damage to destroy.

I do have a nice set of professional hair shears that I bought probably close to ten years ago at a beauty supply store, but I no longer remember the brand name and I'm lazy and don't want to go see if the name is embossed on the shears.

I used to do Feye's method for a U-shaped hemline because I like either that or a blunt hemline on my hair. A V-hemline looks cool on other people, but I don't like it on my hair. When I do trim again, I will probably do the Feye's U or blunt hemline method.

mary*rose
March 21st, 2016, 09:37 PM
I suppose I use Feye's method. I have been trimming my own hair for about two or three years now; since high school, I think. I have a pair of Tweezerman scissors (that actually have rust stains on them, despite the stainless steel :disgust:)

Admittedly, I have been contemplating going to a barbershop just to get a straight hemline - mine are always slightly crooked.

turtlelover
March 21st, 2016, 10:38 PM
99 percent of the time, I cut my own hair. I do well enough that some of my hairdresser friends have complimented me on my haircuts! HAHA!!! Occasionally when I am feeling lazy, I will allow another trusted person to cut my hair, but I am a little phobic about trusting people, so it isn't often. Without fail, when I do find a hairdresser that I like, they move away immediately after the first good cut! Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something! HAHA I find that blunt cuts and bangs are pretty easy, but truly good blended layers are not so easy. I've tried the ponytail methods and to me they just look very amateurish. I CAN cut my own layers, but the method that I use to make the layers look better it is far, far more time consuming and mentally stressful than putting in a ponytail and chopping since it involves lifting the hair at multiple angles and multiple sectioning and re-checks and point cutting to avoid harsh lines and removing too much hair in the wrong places. I don't think I'll be able to do my own layers when my hair gets much longer, sadly, cause as it is, I am stretching my arms at some pretty odd angles to cut what needs to be cut.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 22nd, 2016, 01:07 AM
When using Emi's technique, do you keep your head straight or tilted backwards or forwards when pulling down the hairtie behind you? I want to work on having a straight hemline with each trim... like yours is in your siggy pic. I have seen some who use Emi's technique and the center section of the hemline comes out shorter than the sides... Oh no!! I don't want that to happen.. Thanks! My guess is they mistakenly tilted their heads backwards as they pulled the hairtie down. ;(

I keep my head straight forward, not up or down. My hemline is not very straight in my siggy pic, this pic shows it better

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/e1620e73-c5b5-471e-88dd-37c6acc1d5d9.png

Groovy Granny
March 22nd, 2016, 01:23 AM
Yes, thanks to LHC...x 3 years now.

I started with Feye's but it wasn't always right on the mark (plus a shorter length at the time was an issue).
I always had to fiddle with it a few times to even it up.

Then spidermom (thank you)...told us about her UNDER THE CHIN method and it is accurate for me 100% of the time.

I love a U hem and look straight ahead to get it; using a 'crea clip' ensures it is even.
After the first cut, I let down the pony tail and double check each side against the other and for evenness and stray hairs.

3 snips....done.

:thumbsup:

LongCurlyTress
March 22nd, 2016, 10:09 AM
I keep my head straight forward, not up or down. My hemline is not very straight in my siggy pic, this pic shows it better

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/e1620e73-c5b5-471e-88dd-37c6acc1d5d9.png

Thank you so much for this important detail of looking straight forward using Emi's techniqe with her nape ponytail behind her. I am not due for a trim for a few more months, but I will do this technique next time. ;) Thanks again!! ;)

JustPam
March 22nd, 2016, 10:56 AM
Yup I've been cutting my own hair for over a year, maybe a year and a half, can't actually remember exactly when I went to the hairdressers last. I've tried various methods, I liked the compact cut until it started messing with my hemline, then I switched to under the chin looking slightly downwards, and I just dust too sometimes. Currently self-trimming quarterly trying to fix the weird hemline from compact cuts, it gave me a sort of extreme concave V shape haha, just as well it's mostly up in a ponytail.

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 01:50 AM
Hah, I clicked the thread because of the funny word that I had never heard before :bluebiggr but yeah, I guess I am. I haven't had anyone else cut my hair since jan 2014, I did a poor self-cut in may 2014 to even things out for the growing out... aaaand 2015 was a no-trim year. I did my first trim using feye's trimming instructions some weeks ago and plan on keeping up with that. I use a jaguar scissor, not sure of the exact name, too lazy to get up and check. Haha, it was intentional! :p I saw the word online and thought it was interesting.

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 01:53 AM
Yes! I've been cutting my own hair using the 'ponytail under the chin' method for several years now ^^ I've been curious about this method. What kind of cut does it give? Does it create a straight hemline? Is it one-length?

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 01:54 AM
Yes, first Feye's. Now the compact cutting techniques for layers. I used to cut my hair as a teen (15/16) and all the way into my twenties (when I shaved it all off). Usually I'd section it into two, then pull it out to the sides (around my ear) in a ponytail and cut it off. Where I got that idea, I don't know, I just tried a lot of cutting techniques that were just freehanded and "thought up". My mom cuts it for me. It's easy just putting it into a ponytail and cutting it, isn't it? So true. Simple is best!

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 02:02 AM
This is why it's good to study a little Latin. I knew right away what the new word had to mean. and yeah, I guess I am. I occasionally go to the barber for a trim, but more often, just cut a bit off the end of each curl. being a curly, it doesn't matter if I have an even hemline. It will look wildly uneven anyway due to different shrinkage of different parts on different days. I had no clue what it meant, but it looks like there was no fooling you on this one. I'm sure it's a good and handy skill to have!

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 02:04 AM
Yes, I am cutting my own hair because I still haven't found salon I feel comfortable at. And I have no experience whatsoever. I've only cut my hair a few times, simply some small trims. Sooo this thread may be useful for me c: I'll absolutely follow this. However I think for me it's best at one point to just get one good haircut and keep it neat by myself. Me too! I'm not great at cutting hair either. I'm interested in learning some techniques.

parkmikii
March 23rd, 2016, 02:06 AM
I've been curious about this method. What kind of cut does it give? Does it create a straight hemline? Is it one-length?

Mine comes out to an U hemline but um not sure if it makes any layers though. I have layers from my last salon haircut in 2013 and I didn't even it out yet. I'm looking to reach ftl first and then maintain to grow them out :D

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 02:10 AM
Yes, although I don't use scissors, because the simple act of cutting moves the hair around and makes it imprecise. I use the sideburn trimmer of my electric razor, which is more precise and makes the whole process a lot more like sculpting a 3D shape. How do you do that? Does it cut straight across? Does it reduce future splits?

Daydreamer.
March 23rd, 2016, 02:15 AM
Me, too. I've been doing it 8, 9 years. I don't have a set method but I can tell you I am better at layers than blunt cutting. I use fabric shears which are only used for hair or fabric, period. Before I started growing out I did all kinds of layering methods. I generally would cut a perimeter shape first. I was thinking of using fabric scissors for trims, but haven't found any good ones yet. Which brand do you use? I heard of people using Gingher Knife Edge Scissors. Have you (or anyone else) used them before?

spirals
March 23rd, 2016, 09:15 AM
Mine comes out to an U hemline but um not sure if it makes any layers though. I have layers from my last salon haircut in 2013 and I didn't even it out yet. I'm looking to reach ftl first and then maintain to grow them out :D
Same here, except I'll probably cut them out at classic.

rosey4exclaim
March 23rd, 2016, 10:07 AM
I trim my own hair, and I've cut my own bangs before. However, after a mishap last year, I've found that cutting anything above APL is best left to the professionals.

I've trimmed a couple of different ways. Once I took small pieces of my hair and cut approximately 1/4 inch off each. Sure, it trimmed all my layers, but it took well over two hours (I think I marathoned some Friends). Normally, I just part my hair in the middle, trim each side in the front, then put it back in a low ponytail, moving the hair tie to the end and carefully bringing it around to the front to trim the middle. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube that show how to do this in detail.

meteor
March 23rd, 2016, 02:16 PM
Then spidermom (thank you)...told us about her UNDER THE CHIN method and it is accurate for me 100% of the time.

I love a U hem and look straight ahead to get it; using a 'crea clip' ensures it is even.
After the first cut, I let down the pony tail and double check each side against the other and for evenness and stray hairs.

3 snips....done.

:thumbsup:

Is Spidermom's method the one with the book? :) How does one hold the book or crea-clip: flat, parallel to torso? or perpendicular to torso (like a T-shape if viewed from above)?

Groovy Granny
March 23rd, 2016, 02:20 PM
Is Spidermom's method the one with the book? :) How does one hold the book or crea-clip: flat, parallel to torso? or perpendicular to torso (like a T-shape if viewed from above)?

I think she uses the book; I can't imagine how that would work lol

The crea clip has a level....so you just clamp below the tie, set it level, slide...snip :)
The ponytail hangs down over your chest.

meteor
March 23rd, 2016, 02:25 PM
^ Thank you, Groovy Granny! :blossom: So the length is supposed to be flattened against torso as you are trimming it to get a straight line, right? :) Or there is no need to flatten it, just a ponytail hold is enough? :) (You can tell I'm a newbie in all this! :lol:)

lapushka
March 23rd, 2016, 02:40 PM
^ Thank you, Groovy Granny! :blossom: So the length is supposed to be flattened against torso as you are trimming it to get a straight line, right? :) Or there is no need to flatten it, just a ponytail hold is enough? :) (You can tell I'm a newbie in all this! :lol:)

I think the idea is to flatten it (hence the book). A creaclip would work just as well. And a regular ponytail, flattened between the fingers as you cut as well.

meteor
March 23rd, 2016, 02:49 PM
^ Thank you, lapushka! :D Makes sense! :thumbsup:

Hairkay
March 23rd, 2016, 02:51 PM
I don't go to hair salons so I suppose I'm one. I've trimmed my hair before by holding the ends in sections between the length of my two fingers then cutting. I've also tried dusting my plaits/braids. That works best because that's how I mostly wear my hair and it's easier to see where to cut in the curls since the ends of the hair will curl up uniformly. Splaying out the hair between fingers displaces the curl patterns.

Eastbound&Down
March 23rd, 2016, 02:52 PM
I must have missed the method that spidermom uses. Where can I find it? It sounds like something I may be able to so.

Groovy Granny
March 23rd, 2016, 03:30 PM
I must have missed the method that spidermom uses. Where can I find it? It sounds like something I may be able to so.

The thread is here How do you give yourself a trim? Or how to trim Layers? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=134527&p=3103221&viewfull=1#post3103221)

It is so easy....1 snip does it perfectly; but I then prefer to check each side for stray hairs and evenness.

Here are her posts on it

1) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=134527&page=2&p=3103454&viewfull=1#post3103454

2) http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=134527&p=3103221&viewfull=1#post3103221

Groovy Granny
March 23rd, 2016, 03:36 PM

Just a ponytail hold between your fingers like FEYE mentions is fine.

I just use the clip for better accuracy.....Spidermom uses a book (that wouldn't work for me...?bulky).

The hair doesn't have to be against your torso...You look straight while making a tight pony under your chin....slide your fingers/clip/book down so it is even and snip where you want to cut.

You can lift the hair away from your body once you have your cut mark/ends secure so you can see what you are doing.

NEWBIE :thud:

I have learned so much from YOUR posts lol