PDA

View Full Version : And again... the heaviness and pulling and sensitive scalp...

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Now I remember the last one of the reasons why I did the big chop 4 years ago... from waist to layered-toilet-brush-funny-ugly-neck-length-something.
It was my headaches from the heaviness of my hair. I forgot about it but now I know again...
I've bought me some hair toys and after WTMM (Way Too Much Manipulation) I've figured out how to accomplish many beautiful styles on my hair.
I love them.
But the problem ist that my hair feels SO heavy....
My buns are HUGE already and after an hour or two it hurts, pulls, feels like there's a pound of sugar hanging on my head...
And it feels too tight always, even though I try to fix the buns looser on my head. When I grab hair from my scalp with the fork or stick to fix the bun on my head there's always pulling...
I've tried a cinnamon bun with a stick, a french twist with a fork, a french twist with a stick, a braided french twist something...
It's always heavy and pulls.
It's like my scalp is too sensitive...
Even my side braid starts feeling heavy again.
But, I won't cut my hair again because it's too heavy. There has to be another solution to protect it without feeling the heaviness or pulling...
HELP please!!! :flower: :) :flower: :cheer: :blossom:

pailin
March 20th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I think you'll find you can bun more loosely as your hair gets longer. Can you try 2 buns? That would put only half as much weight in each. Also maybe your scalp needs time to adjust. Bun for maybe just a few hours, but do that every day.

lapushka
March 20th, 2016, 10:11 AM
I think you might be doing buns *way* too early. I have iii hair and buns only felt comfortable on waist/hip length hair. That is the sole reason why I wore a peacock twist all the way to waist length. You really can't do many updos as a iii before hitting waist/hip and you have to remember that and realize that. Braids are okay, if not done too tightly, but other than that, you really can't, you know... I think that is the reason why it feels pully and heavy.

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 10:20 AM
I think you might be doing buns *way* too early. I have iii hair and buns only felt comfortable on waist/hip length hair. That is the sole reason why I wore a peacock twist all the way to waist length. You really can't do many updos as a iii before hitting waist/hip and you have to remember that and realize that. Braids are okay, if not done too tightly, but other than that, you really can't, you know... I think that is the reason why it feels pully and heavy.

Okay... thank you, lapushka :flower:
How did you do the peacock twist at BSL? I wore it often at APL but now it feels like it's too long... the ends hang down somehow too low in the back and it looks strange... Was it a different technique at longer lengths? Did you fix it with a fork? Since I'm BSL claw clips break on me... I broke 2 already. And they pull too...

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 10:21 AM
I think you'll find you can bun more loosely as your hair gets longer. Can you try 2 buns? That would put only half as much weight in each. Also maybe your scalp needs time to adjust. Bun for maybe just a few hours, but do that every day.

Thank you, pailin. :) It's a good idea... I try 2 buns tomorrow :)

lapushka
March 20th, 2016, 10:27 AM
Okay... thank you, lapushka :flower:
How did you do the peacock twist at BSL? I wore it often at APL but now it feels like it's too long... the ends hang down somehow too low in the back and it looks strange... Was it a different technique at longer lengths? Did you fix it with a fork? Since I'm BSL claw clips break on me... I broke 2 already. And they pull too...

I folded the twist, more like a log roll type style, always with my claw clip (picture is in my album). I just folded it in two, later into three as it got even longer. Until at waist/hip that was the breaking point for my peacock twist, when I could fold it no more to fit into the clip - and the picture you see there was my breaking point. Then I was surprised I could start to wear buns! And I haven't looked back since.

Now, your hair might even be thicker, so... Yeah, do be careful with those buns, with pulling and everything. Really can't take chances on it.

Kiiruna
March 20th, 2016, 10:34 AM
I can relate to this so much :D My hair is of course only at apl, but it's difficult and unmotivating to make protective updos because almost everything pulls. Sometimes a miralce happens and it doesn't pull as much, but that's very rare. The struggle is real! :D

LongCurlyTress
March 20th, 2016, 03:26 PM
I think you might be doing buns *way* too early. I have iii hair and buns only felt comfortable on waist/hip length hair. That is the sole reason why I wore a peacock twist all the way to waist length. You really can't do many updos as a iii before hitting waist/hip and you have to remember that and realize that. Braids are okay, if not done too tightly, but other than that, you really can't, you know... I think that is the reason why it feels pull and heavy.

Yes to everything lapushka said here. Head/scalp massages might help to "toughen" up your scalp. Just lean forward and brush your scalp hair from the nape forward and carefully until all your hair is in front of you. Then brush with a BBB brush everyday and massage your scalp while you do this. Also, use your fingertips to massage your scalp and toughen up the hair follicles at the scalp/root. You can use oils or not. My hair gets pretty oily at the root so I just use my fingertips to do this and it does toughen up the scalp. Use the finger pads, not your nails. Leaning forward while brushing is great for circulation to get up into your hair follicles too. Here is a great video from LauraLongLocks on how to BBB brush your hair... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpcpmeNJ48

The Claw clip appreciation lhc thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124781&highlight=Claw+clip+appreciation

Also, I have many photos in my Buns Album you are welcome to look at for ideas especially using claw clips.

Once my hair got too long for a peacock twist, I started to use two 2 inch claw clips, one on either side of a cinammon bun. I did this bun forever until I could do more buns. Another trick is to use a pretty 1 inch claw clip on one side of a cinammon bun and an amish pin in the other side like in my avatar pic. ;) You want to distrubute the weight of the bun so it is evenly distributed without pulling your hair too tightly, which can create hair fall out too. Don't worry! Your hair looks very healthy so just try to be patient... good luck!! I know it's hard!! But worth it!

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I folded the twist, more like a log roll type style, always with my claw clip (picture is in my album). I just folded it in two, later into three as it got even longer. Until at waist/hip that was the breaking point for my peacock twist, when I could fold it no more to fit into the clip - and the picture you see there was my breaking point. Then I was surprised I could start to wear buns! And I haven't looked back since.

Now, your hair might even be thicker, so... Yeah, do be careful with those buns, with pulling and everything. Really can't take chances on it.

Thank you :) Great idea to fold the hair for the peacock twist. I've tried it with the fork and it works fine when I weave the fork into the folded hair properly. :) It still feels heavy but less than a bun.
I wear my side braid for sleeping now and tomorrow I'm gonna weigh it. It's so heavy... when I take it and let it fall on my back I really feel the bounce even when I wear a cardigan. And another problem is, I think, that I have a very slim and long neck with quite a big head in relation to the width of my shoulders so I feel the weight of a heavy bun in the nape and in the back part of my neck. My anatomy is somehow unfavorable for that heavy hair and big buns :D But I'm sure I can get used to this slowly but surely.

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 04:17 PM
Yes to everything lapushka said here. Head/scalp massages might help to "toughen" up your scalp. Just lean forward and brush your scalp hair from the nape forward and carefully until all your hair is in front of you. Then brush with a BBB brush everyday and massage your scalp while you do this. Also, use your fingertips to massage your scalp and toughen up the hair follicles at the scalp/root. You can use oils or not. My hair gets pretty oily at the root so I just use my fingertips to do this and it does toughen up the scalp. Use the finger pads, not your nails. Leaning forward while brushing is great for circulation to get up into your hair follicles too. Here is a great video from LauraLongLocks on how to BBB brush your hair... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKpcpmeNJ48

The Claw clip appreciation lhc thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=124781&highlight=Claw+clip+appreciation

Also, I have many photos in my Buns Album you are welcome to look at for ideas especially using claw clips.

Once my hair got too long for a peacock twist, I started to use two 2 inch claw clips, one on either side of a cinammon bun. I did this bun forever until I could do more buns. Another trick is to use a pretty 1 inch claw clip on one side of a cinammon bun and an amish pin in the other side like in my avatar pic. ;) You want to distrubute the weight of the bun so it is evenly distributed without pulling your hair too tightly, which can create hair fall out too. Don't worry! Your hair looks very healthy so just try to be patient... good luck!! I know it's hard!! But worth it!

Thank you! :) I run to check out your album :)

Gaelic Girl
March 20th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Wusel, I'm very sorry to hear that you are hurting. I agree with everything both lapushka and LongCurlyTress said and these things worked for me. My hair is nowhere near as thick as yours is, but I can't wear ponytails or buns higher than the nape of my neck for this reason. My scalp is much tougher now. Till waist I wore halfups with barrettes, or leather hair barrettes with wooden pins, and also twisted it and fastened it to the back of my head with a large leather barrette/wooden pin. Have you tried Hypnotica's cinnabun withe ficarre? (or something similar...I have an old beak claw that works well and is very long so holds it all...again..at the base of my skull).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzPmoGXCR4c

Don't give up. Be patient. I really couldn't do much either till waist and that will come before you know it. Loose braids as well are good. Good luck. :flower:

Nique1202
March 20th, 2016, 05:38 PM
And another problem is, I think, that I have a very slim and long neck with quite a big head in relation to the width of my shoulders so I feel the weight of a heavy bun in the nape and in the back part of my neck. My anatomy is somehow unfavorable for that heavy hair and big buns :D But I'm sure I can get used to this slowly but surely.

I seriously doubt that your anatomy is "unfavourable" to heavy hair. Your neck is constantly adjusting to the weight of your hair as it grows. It's incredibly rare for someone with no back or neck problems to actually have issues with the weight of their hair.

More likely, because you've been trying to bun with hair that's too short it's been pulling things out of place, and that tension is what's giving you problems, even though it FEELS like neck pain or whatever. When your hair is properly long enough to bun comfortably you won't need to pull so much on it to get the bun to stay together and you'll find it a million times more comfortable. I know that's how it worked for me. You just have to wait for the length to grow and things will get better, I can almost guarantee it.

Gaelic Girl
March 20th, 2016, 06:26 PM
More likely, because you've been trying to bun with hair that's too short it's been pulling things out of place, and that tension is what's giving you problems, even though it FEELS like neck pain or whatever. When your hair is properly long enough to bun comfortably you won't need to pull so much on it to get the bun to stay together and you'll find it a million times more comfortable. I know that's how it worked for me. You just have to wait for the length to grow and things will get better, I can almost guarantee it.

I think this is a good point. I recently saw an interview with Crystal Gayle (American country singer), who has famously had ankle length hair for about 30 or more years and when asked if it was terribly heavy, she said that years before she cut it all off as she used to have terrible headaches, and thought it was the hair. She learned, the hard way, that it wasn't the hair as the headaches persisted and so she grew it back. Again the headaches got much worse. She mentioned thinking it was the way she wore it up. She wears half-ups much of the time when performing, and braids much of the time.

LongCurlyTress
March 20th, 2016, 06:45 PM
I think this is a good point. I recently saw an interview with Crystal Gayle (American country singer), who has famously had ankle length hair for about 30 or more years and when asked if it was terribly heavy, she said that years before she cut it all off as she used to have terrible headaches, and thought it was the hair. She learned, the hard way, that it wasn't the hair as the headaches persisted and so she grew it back. Again the headaches got much worse. She mentioned thinking it was the way she wore it up. She wears half-ups much of the time when performing, and braids much of the time.

I heard/saw on her videos that she said this too. I love her hair!! ;)

Darkhorse1
March 20th, 2016, 08:30 PM
I have been dealing with this too---I had wondered if it was due to the fact I was wearing my hair loose more (winter) and then putting it up made my scalp more tender. I don't have any answers, but I found the lazy wrap bun with a Timberstone Turning stick to be the best for my scalp and work needs. I use an english braid (I can't seem to tolerate french braids anymore) and claw clips--perhaps start training your scalp with a softer style? (braid) and work up to a bun? Also, make sure you play around with tension in the bun--too tight of any style will make the scalp sore. My bun is pretty big too and I've learned how to accommodate the size and figured out how to tweak styles to better help my scalp. Good luck and don't be discouraged! :D

Sarahlabyrinth
March 20th, 2016, 08:34 PM
I find buns at my nape to be the most comfortable in terms of weight. When I need a break from heavy buns I always change their position to be at my nape. I think it allows for the hair to lie in a more natural position, almost the same as if it was worn loose.

Pearly~91
March 20th, 2016, 08:35 PM
I agree with what others have said. Your buns are probably creating stress on your scalp because your hair isn't long enough. Also you could try buns with multiple u-pins instead of 1 stick. It distributes the weight more evenly across your scalp.

If you are having neck pain it's most likely not from the weight of your hair. You didn't just strap a weight onto your head, the weight increased slowly so your neck muscles had time to adapt. If your buns are causing you to hold your head differently, that could cause neck pain. When I sit in a chair with a high back or headrest, like while I'm driving, a bun will make me hold my head forward and can cause neck pain.

Another thing about a tender scalp. I've found that several things can cause a tender scalp for me. One of these things is too much manipulation and moving hair in directions it's not used to. If I wear a high bun, which is rare, my scalp hurts the next day. This can also be caused by too much massaging if your scalp isn't used to it. So if you start massaging, start with only short, gentle massages once a day and add time and intensity gradually. Another thing that has caused scalp pain for me is sensitivity to certain products, like shampoo and conditioner. If this is a sudden change and you have been trying products, that could be your problem.

Chromis
March 20th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I get scalp pain if I try to put my hair up too high. I stick around nape as well for the base of the bun. It can be flipped up, but I have to start the twisting at nape.

Another thing I notice it that a secure bun pulls less than one that is a bit loose. Thicker forks/sticks also help, even though it seems counter-intuitive. You don't want it tight-tight, but so it is not moving around either. Then it doesn't pull.

pailin
March 21st, 2016, 01:43 AM
One other comment; people will usually tell you to grab scalp hair with a stick. With the buns I was doing last year, that was what I had to do. But not for center-held buns. For a center held lazy wrap, I had difficulty getting it to work at first; partly I think this was because I really needed a few more inches of length. But the other thing I have found is that I don't need to grab scalp hair for a lazy wrap bun, and if I do, it will pull and hurt and give me a sore scalp for hours after I take it down. Maybe that will change again as my hair gets longer, but for now it's actually better that the stick not go all the way down to the scalp; it just needs to get some of that wad of hair in the middle. So, experiment a bit; there's no strict rule about how you make the bun; as long as it stays up and doesn't hurt, you did it right.

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 04:28 AM
Also, after a week of bunning, my hair at the roots and scalp right before a wash, can feel tender. After washing it feels fine again; just the massaging bit from a shampoo solves it. I panicked at first when I felt it, and it's just a regular wash, no special massaging or anything. It often also depends on how you twist your hair and how much of a same-same bun you do day in day out.

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 04:30 AM
Maybe that will change again as my hair gets longer, but for now it's actually better that the stick not go all the way down to the scalp; it just needs to get some of that wad of hair in the middle. So, experiment a bit; there's no strict rule about how you make the bun; as long as it stays up and doesn't hurt, you did it right.

Yes, mine is done that way as well. With getting scalp hair it is often meant not dabbing your stick in to get underneath and through to the scalp hair, but just go underneath, into the hair somewhat and come right back out. You kind of have to experiment and learn as you go - and not every bun is the same either.

LongCurlyTress
March 21st, 2016, 11:20 AM
Wusel... have you tried a cinnamon bun using two 2 inch claw clips, one on either side of your nape positioned bun to distribute the weight? Also this way, you don't need to pull your hair so tightly into the bun and I bet it will be more comfortable for you on your scalp. I am looking forward to you posting your results with bun weight distribution using two claw clips. ;) Good luck!! :blossom: I hope this works for you... it does for me and my hair is very heavy, iii-thick- 4 inches ponytail circumference and at TBL. :blossom:

Here is Jjlonghairs tutorial video to help you: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBcPGkpUW8Y&list=PLVP_T0tFMBwS9-MdCO3XnoiCxSk94Bo3G
I am sure this bun will work for you if it works for JJlonghair!! You will be able to leave your bun a bit looser on your scalp since the two claw clips will hold it securely. ;)

mindwiped
March 24th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I don't quite know what would work for you, but before my thyroid 'helped' me lose half my thickness, tools like these helped me with easy updos. Basically, make your peacock twist, folded like lapushka mentioned, and insert one of these combs from each side to keep the weight distributed. It's kinda the concept of a claw clip without a hinge to break. I tossed out two links, I'm not sure which would be best for you, but either might help get you the solution you need

http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-French-Tooth-Design-Tortoise/dp/B00H0FD4WO/ref=pd_sim_194_28?ie=UTF8&dpID=51lf%2BynEbWL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR107%2C160_&refRID=07S80PATB20K9BHS7PA4

http://www.amazon.com/Large-Plain-Slides-Pritties-Accessories/dp/B00KEUT6BA/ref=pd_sim_194_63?ie=UTF8&dpID=51lpNEWkwxL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR120%2C160_&refRID=07S80PATB20K9BHS7PA4