PDA

View Full Version : Support and Guidance for Growing 3a/3b Curly Hair From TBL to Knee Length

Gaelic Girl
March 19th, 2016, 01:29 PM
So, my fellow LHCers, I am putting this out there as making the goal now real...and asking for any and all guidance and support and suggestions.

...I first signed up here in 2007 after a henna disaster ruined my hair and necessitated a 13 inch chop. I was grateful for the wealth of information and delighted at the people I met and made friends with. I was then around hip length and am now past tailbone..but as a curly it bounces up. I had all but given up on achieving wondrous lengths..in truth I don't think I really ever thought I could grow it out as the ends were abysmal.

When I moved to the city many years ago the chlorine in the water destroyed, and I mean destroyed my long curly hair. Ratty ends...very thin..straggly. So...I kept it at waist...which sproings up to about mid back...annoying! HUGE buns...which I love..but crappy length when down. A year and a half ago I started coconut oilings weekly...and hennna-ing monthly to get rid of greys that were emerging...and holy cow...my ends are great and I have a decent hem line for the first time in a billion years!!YAYAAYAY!!! So...I have the satin pillow....trying to wear it in a braid at night....wear it up...blah blah...now don't use my BBB but finger comb ever day...massage scalp every morning...and finger comb and wet with sprayer (that contains conditioner/water/Eos') daily..only shampoo once per week...stay away from dreaded cones and sulfates...follow torrinpaige, curly penny, JJJLonghair, Gossamer and other youtube gurus for ideas....and AND got a shower filter!!!:happydance: NEVER knew such a thing even existed and have always been upset knowing this was the main problem!! (we have wonderful well water on our farm...so went from doing everything right to moving for uni and doing everything wrong...down to the very plastic ratty pick comb! OY!).

For the first time in my life the notion of possibly being able to actually grow my curly hair to FTL or knee (NOW my goal) is a reality!!! I look to the wonderlywroughte's and the Elizaveta Golovanovas and now feel I to FINALLY can do this!! SOO happy!! So thought...I should probably put this somewhere to both celebrate and express my happiness and gratitude to all the folks who've shared over the years..and to ask for any advice that anyone has that might help. Thank you, in advance! :flower:

Thank you, again, LHC....9 years..and NOW finally gonna GO FOR my dream length!:hooched:

https://www.google.ca/search?q=elizaveta+Golovanova+long+curly+hair&rlz=1C1CAFA_enCA616CA616&espv=2&biw=1164&bih=719&tbm=isch&imgil=303AbB7QqvmqCM%253A%253BJyH972NW5BhcgM%253Bh ttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.pinterest.com%25252Fp in%25252F323555554454714658%25252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=303AbB7QqvmqCM%253A%252CJyH972NW5BhcgM%252C_&usg=__FXgltCF2ScPinocnZ38ESqDX3tQ%3D&ved=0ahUKEwje-dCzuc3LAhVsk4MKHUJ6DIAQyjcIKg&ei=qKPtVt6FCOymjgTC9LGACA#imgrc=303AbB7QqvmqCM%3A

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 02:27 PM
No advice, but just wanted to wish you congrats! :D

meteor
March 19th, 2016, 02:50 PM
Congratulations, Gaelic Girl! :joy: So happy for you! :happydance:
And I like Elizaveta Golovanova, too! :)

You have the most stunning updos! :thud: I don't think I have any advice, except maybe silicones aren't necessarily worth avoiding and they actually might be worth checking out for protecting ends. ;) Lots of long-hairs (e.g. JJJlonghair/LadyLongLocks) mentioned that they couldn't get to extreme lengths without them, and lots of curlies do use them for slip/detangling (though cones can sometimes have a slight temporary loosening effect on curls/waves)... Also, you mentioned well water. It tends to be pretty hard, so if your filter stops working (they don't last that long), I'd keep getting new filters or it might be worth checking out chelating (or so-called "swimmers" shampoos), citric acid... things like that. But I'm pretty sure you figured out everything you need on your journey! ;) And yes, I couldn't agree more on oiling - it's so great for protecting ends! :agree:

Also, you mentioned a "henna disaster ruining hair and necessitating a 13 inch chop". :bigeyes: Could you please share more about this? Sounds really scary but useful to know! Any advice on things hennaheads should avoid?

Gaelic Girl
March 19th, 2016, 03:04 PM
No advice, but just wanted to wish you congrats! :D

Thanks, lapushka!!! I really appreciate it! :) Now...the waiting begins .... ugh. I'm very excited though as this is the very first time I've ever really even considered this a possibility and given the wondrous results the last year....earnestly feel I have a chance. This is BIG with 4 generations of women with alopecia ahead of me..they lost their hair in their 30s...so been dreading this and praying...and I think I've inherited my father's side's hair, mercifully!

Congratulations, Gaelic Girl! :joy: So happy for you! :happydance:
And I like Elizaveta Golovanova, too! :)

You have the most stunning updos! :thud: I don't think I have any advice, except maybe silicones aren't necessarily worth avoiding and they actually might be worth checking out for protecting ends. ;) Lots of long-hairs (e.g. JJJlonghair/LadyLongLocks) mentioned that they couldn't get to extreme lengths without them, and lots of curlies do use them for slip/detangling (though cones can sometimes have a slight temporary loosening effect on curls/waves)... Also, you mentioned well water. It tends to be pretty hard, so if your filter stops working (they don't last that long), I'd keep getting new filters or it might be worth checking out chelating (or so-called "swimmers" shampoos), citric acid... things like that. But I'm pretty sure you figured out everything you need on your journey! ;) And yes, I couldn't agree more on oiling - it's so great for protecting ends! :agree:

Also, you mentioned a "henna disaster ruining hair and necessitating a 13 inch chop". :bigeyes: Could you please share more about this? Sounds really scary but useful to know! Any advice on things hennaheads should avoid?

Thanks SO much for the tips, meteor!! Everything I've read about curlies says "no cones EVER"..and I confess that for years my hair was a very dull...and I don't mean lacking in shine as a curly I never expected it....I mean a dull dull film...then stopped using cones, especially Pantene (love the smell..sigh)....and started using eggs as shampoo and other natural shampoos without knowing about cones or sulphates..and my colour came back. Since you mentioned it, though, I will look into it again.

Also, I recently tried manoi oil (tahini flower)..and while my hair was blindingly shiny, like Indian hair after leaving overnight..it was the strangest 'stiff as a board' texture for days and took 2 washings to get back to my normal feel...the worst part was that I think the stuff split every single hair on my head...I have NEVER seen so many terrible splits..and after a major trim in December....this was infuriating. Most of the stuff from India has silcones, mineral oil, and/or paraffins..which my hair clearly can't tolerate.

By the way... I've been using pure argan oil from Shopper's Drug Mart for both hair and skin and it is wonderful! So light and nourishing.

Now..for the henna disaster. I broke up with finance and wanted a change. Listened to someone who knew nothing. Put 2 boxes of henna, which must have had metals and salts in it....and even after only 2 hours....most of my hair from BSL to tailbone broke off in ragged edges..and for over a year my part was literally an inch wide..I lost THAT much hair! It came out in handfuls for weeks.

That lead me to LHC and coconut oil. It is a brand that is often used...blue and white box..can't remember it. The thing that I learned here is that curly hair needs constant moisture, and henna forms a coating around each strand, choking off curly hair from moisture. As long as I do a heavy coconut oiling hours before the henna, the moisture is locked in beautifully.

I have posted about this a number of times on the board..but this is the upshot of it. I use Aubrey's Organics henna for dark brown hair and it is grand!

p.s. the hard water was the kind of water we had on the farm where I grew up and was full of minerals (as our orange-ringed bath tub will attest....but I think the water in the city where i live is soft water, and believe it is the excessive chlorine that ruined my hair. Now that I've installed a sprite filter (which needs to be changed ever 6 months, but is only another $25) and a hand held shower head, I'll be able to use cold/cool water to wash my hair rather than freezing my butt off in the shower or using warm water to wash in when showering. So I feel really good about the chances of growing longer. Also, my apartment isn't filled with chlorine fumes each morning and the air is so much more pleasant....because it only smells like air...which means I smell nothing...ahhhhhhh...wonderful!

parkmikii
March 19th, 2016, 03:33 PM
The henna disaster sure sounds scary shudder:
I've been using henna for 2 years and never experienced something like that, I'm really sorry you went through it :(
Also, congratulations!

Gaelic Girl
March 19th, 2016, 03:42 PM
The henna disaster sure sounds scary shudder:
I've been using henna for 2 years and never experienced something like that, I'm really sorry you went through it :(
Also, congratulations!

Thank you parkmikii! That is kind of you. :blossom:

This is the BAD brand I used. I bought it at a health foods store so thought it was trustworthy

http://www.amazon.com/Colora-Henna-Creme-Auburn-Ounce/dp/B0009R35CE

This is the brand I have used since August 2014 from iHerb with excellent results!:

http://ca.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organics-Color-Me-Natural-100-Natural-Permanent-Hair-Color-Dark-Brown-4-oz-115-g/8212

dfotw
March 19th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Congrats, Gaelic Girl! We share hair-type and goals, so I'll be cheering for you in your journey to knee! :cheer:

meteor
March 19th, 2016, 04:10 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Gaelic Girl! :flowers: Scary henna story! But I'm so glad it's over and that's really great to know in terms of what to watch out for! You are so right about the importance of quality supplier. :agree: With herbs and herbal blends and infused oils, essential oils, etc, the quality and sourcing of the raw materials can vary massively and makes end products almost different beasts altogether.

I have no doubt you'll get to your goal! :thumbsup: Happy growing! :sun:
On to knee! Yay! :cheer:

Quixii
March 19th, 2016, 04:11 PM
Congratulations and good luck! :flower:

LongCurlyTress
March 19th, 2016, 07:51 PM
Hi Gaelic Girl!! Please feel free to check out my albums!! We are just about hairtwins... I hope to learn alot from you!! Best of luck with your hair journey as it continues! I can only detangle with very thick, Kirkland shampoo and conditioner (from Costco) -- heavy with cones... in the shower with a #116 Madora comb. Then just a dime sized amount of evoo on the tips and up it goes into a lwb. I don't use any other leave ins besides evoo or coconut oil as a leave in if I do a half up. My hair is so thick I can not ever wear it just down, besides it tangles so easily it becomes a pain if I leave it down and I get more breakage and hair shedding too. ;( My hair is very thick too and I am 3b so I can't wait to learn from you too! :cool:

AJNinami
March 19th, 2016, 08:09 PM
Thank you parkmikii! That is kind of you. :blossom:

This is the BAD brand I used. I bought it at a health foods store so thought it was trustworthy

http://www.amazon.com/Colora-Henna-Creme-Auburn-Ounce/dp/B0009R35CE

This is the brand I have used since August 2014 from iHerb with excellent results!:

http://ca.iherb.com/Aubrey-Organics-Color-Me-Natural-100-Natural-Permanent-Hair-Color-Dark-Brown-4-oz-115-g/8212

The ingredients list on that first one doesn't look so kind, and especially since they added that it might contain artificial colors too!

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 03:35 AM
HUGE buns...which I love..but crappy length when down.

I'm sorry but... what is "crappy" about MBL hair? :shrug:
Mine is BSL and I'm looking forward to MBL and many here do and you say its "crappy"... :shrug: ?

parkmikii
March 20th, 2016, 03:54 AM
Mine is BSL and I'm looking forward to MBL and many here do and you say its "crappy"... :shrug: ?

She said that it was "crappy" because it was very damaged from the chlorine, not that the length is crappy, read before as well ^^

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 04:24 AM
She said that it was "crappy" because it was very damaged from the chlorine, not that the length is crappy, read before as well ^^

Okay. My fault. I'm sorry. :flower: I misunderstood the sentence. English is not my mother language though.

parkmikii
March 20th, 2016, 04:26 AM
Okay. My fault. I'm sorry. :flower: I misunderstood the sentence. English is not my mother language though.

It's not my first language either XD
No problem, glad you understood, all lengths are pretty ♡

Gaelic Girl
March 20th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Congrats, Gaelic Girl! We share hair-type and goals, so I'll be cheering for you in your journey to knee!

Thanks, dfotw! It will be great sharing tips and cheering each other on! :)

^ Thanks a lot, Gaelic Girl! Scary henna story! But I'm so glad it's over and that's really great to know in terms of what to watch out for! You are so right about the importance of quality supplier. With herbs and herbal blends and infused oils, essential oils, etc, the quality and sourcing of the raw materials can vary massively and makes end products almost different beasts altogether.

I have no doubt you'll get to your goal!Happy growing!
On to knee! Yay! :cheer:

Thanks so much, meteor! :flower:

Congratulations and good luck! :flower:

Thanks, Quixii! I adore your hair and look forward to being at your magnificent length!

Hi Gaelic Girl!! Please feel free to check out my albums!! We are just about hairtwins... I hope to learn alot from you!! Best of luck with your hair journey as it continues! I can only detangle with very thick, Kirkland shampoo and conditioner (from Costco) -- heavy with cones... in the shower with a #116 Madora comb. Then just a dime sized amount of evoo on the tips and up it goes into a lwb. I don't use any other leave ins besides evoo or coconut oil as a leave in if I do a half up. My hair is so thick I can not ever wear it just down, besides it tangles so easily it becomes a pain if I leave it down and I get more breakage and hair shedding too. ;( My hair is very thick too and I am 3b so I can't wait to learn from you too! :cool:

Thanks so much, LongCurlyTress! I would love to view your albums! I had 3 in the old LHC archives and am hoping I can get them back as there were some great pics. So..you don't find that cones really dull your hair and leave a film? Since I started doing a heavy coconut oiling the night before a wash, I find that detangling in the shower is now so easy and almost effortless. It's unbelievable the difference! In November I started using an old mock-T long sleeved t-shirt to wrap my hair in , and Holy Dinah....never using a towel again! I have virtually NO frizz and my curls are not tangled and actually stay in girls for a good 3 days. WHAT a difference! Do you use a t-shirt to dry? I never thought it would make all the difference and wish I'd tried it years ago.

Also, I use organic aloe vera gel on wet hair and scrunch then scrunch when dry to remove any stiffness. It leaves the hair soft and super curly and no tangles. The result is incredible. Give it a try.

The ingredients list on that first one doesn't look so kind, and especially since they added that it might contain artificial colors too!

Yeah..this was before I knew anything about ingredients and am vigilant now..thanks to LHC.

Nothing at all wrong with MBL. The "crappy" part was in having long stringy ends and having TBL hair that bounced up to look like MBL as well as having long stringy ends..not a clear hemline..but thick curls till MBL then a few straggly ends. You have beautiful hair and a lovely hemline. I wish you happy growing Wusel.

Gaelic Girl
March 20th, 2016, 09:38 AM
Congrats, Gaelic Girl! We share hair-type and goals, so I'll be cheering for you in your journey to knee! :cheer:

It's not my first language either XD
No problem, glad you understood, all lengths are pretty ♡

Oh wow...you beat me to it! :rollin: Thank you, parkmikii! :flower: Yes, that is just what I meant.

Thank you everyone for all the comments! I'm delighted and look forward to more discussion and giving you updates. Now...can anyone tell me how to do a multi-quote so I'm not taking forever going back and forth and copying and pasting quotes, please? I did click the "Multi-quote message" button but it didn't work for me.

Any help greatly appreciated by this Luddite.! :blossom:
GG

dfotw
March 20th, 2016, 12:06 PM
GG, to multi-quote, just click the 'multi-quote this message' button on all but one of the messages you want to quote (the button will change to a green check mark). Then, on the last message you want to quote, click 'reply with quote' and aaaaaaaall the quotes will appear in the reply box! HTH! :flower:

(LHC, teaching not only hair care but also technology! :p It took me ages to learn how to do that!)

Beborani
March 20th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Not quite 3b but my shrinkage may put me in that category anyway. Just past classic when stretched and between hip and tailbone when dry, I am enjoying my hair long for the first time. I had no goals but now I'd like classic when unstretched which will probably happen when I am halfway to knee. I wear it down as much as possible though these days it can only be in halfups and with not too thick hair updos are not a problem. I usually leave my ends out to make them less severe and am playing with face framing pieces. Enjoy growing!

Gaelic Girl
March 20th, 2016, 01:45 PM
GG, to multi-quote, just click the 'multi-quote this message' button on all but one of the messages you want to quote (the button will change to a green check mark). Then, on the last message you want to quote, click 'reply with quote' and aaaaaaaall the quotes will appear in the reply box! HTH! :flower:

(LHC, teaching not only hair care but also technology! :p It took me ages to learn how to do that!)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA! Thanks dfotw! :joy: I knew there had to be a simpler way! LOL AND...just got to try it out! :)

Not quite 3b but my shrinkage may put me in that category anyway. Just past classic when stretched and between hip and tailbone when dry, I am enjoying my hair long for the first time. I had no goals but now I'd like classic when unstretched which will probably happen when I am halfway to knee. I wear it down as much as possible though these days it can only be in halfups and with not too thick hair updos are not a problem. I usually leave my ends out to make them less severe and am playing with face framing pieces. Enjoy growing!

Beborani I feel the same way. Now that it's past tailbone it actually "LOOKS" at least waist when dry...and funny but I feel like I've finally accomplished something there. All my senior year photos (when I was on the farm/in high school), show me in a pose with my hair pulled to the front and hanging down past my elbow (on my chest)...I don't even remember doing this...it was just so natural..and it was long enough and thick enough that it hung beautifully. Somewhere along the line (in the city) I again, naturally, stopped doing this and in all my pics the last several years my hair hangs loosely on my back or is up. I feel like I'm finally getting to the point where I can pull it forward with pride again..a great feeling!

I just looked at your pics quickly, and you do indeed have beautiful hair! I must go back (when I'm not writing essays) and read your blog....your scalp regrowth is impressive and looks like mine did after my henna disaster. Congratulations! And that full length herringbone braid....:gasp:. Wonderful! Happy growing to you too and looking forward to your updates. :flower:

I love wearing half-ups and have many hand made Celtic knot barrettes, thanks to Etsy. :) Also, for the very first time, my side hair is both long enough and thick enough that I can make a rope bun and wear a hair fork! So thrilled...thanks, again, to LHC and oiling.

LongCurlyTress
March 20th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Hi Gaelic Girl!! I responded to your comments in purple....

Thanks so much, LongCurlyTress! I would love to view your albums! I had 3 in the old LHC archives and am hoping I can get them back as there were some great pics.
Oh no!! I hope you can get the photos back!! Can you upload them again maybe? Those pics of our shorter hair become priceless and very inspiring since we remember how our hair looked at those shorter lengths. I hope mine is never that short (a chin length curly bob after the dyed brassy apl length had been chopped off ) So every half inch of growth is exciting and celebrated!! ;)

So..you don't find that cones really dull your hair and leave a film? Nope! In fact, cones in my conditioner are the easiest, safest way I can detangle my hair at all. I try to rinse out most of the conditioner and only use evoo as my leave in on my ends only before bunning. C oil made my hair ends stick together and then more hair breaks off when I detangle. It feels and acts like glue in my hair when the weather is cold since it hardens. I hope to try it again in the summer when the temp is above 78* so it remains liquidy. My shedding/breaking during detangling has decreased significantly after I stopped using the C oil as a leave in and also on my braid tassel before sleeping. Now I only use evoo or sweet almond oil as my leave in before damp bunning. ;)

Since I started doing a heavy coconut oiling the night before a wash, I find that detangling in the shower is now so easy and almost effortless. It's unbelievable the difference! In November I started using an old mock-T long sleeved t-shirt to wrap my hair in , and Holy Dinah....never using a towel again! I have virtually NO frizz and my curls are not tangled and actually stay in girls for a good 3 days. WHAT a difference! Do you use a t-shirt to dry? I never thought it would make all the difference and wish I'd tried it years ago.

I find that a towel is the only thing that really absorbs the water. A turbie twist is what I used but have now outgrown but still gets soaking wet and doesn't get enough water anymore. I don't rub my hair, just gently squeeze it in the towel. Recently I tried a turbie twist again, but it still didn't work for me. :( I have never tried a t shirt but I doubt it would absorb enough water. Maybe my hair is thicker than yours is? Not sure but a towel works great for me to get rid of the excess water.

Also, I use organic aloe vera gel on wet hair and scrunch then scrunch when dry to remove any stiffness. It leaves the hair soft and super curly and no tangles. The result is incredible. Give it a try.

I have tried aloe vera gel and it makes my hair feel so sticky like it is glued together. If I wear my hair down, usually in a half up, then I use coconut oil as my leave in but then it makes my hair difficult to detangle the next day.

I guess our techniques are a bit different but the important thing is to do what works for our own hair. I am glad you found great hair care methods that work for you. I wish yours did work for me, but unfortunately, for whatever reasons they have not in the past. Good luck though!! And thanks for sharing your methods!! ;)

Beborani
March 20th, 2016, 05:59 PM
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHA! Thanks dfotw! :joy: I knew there had to be a simpler way! LOL AND...just got to try it out! :)

Beborani I feel the same way. Now that it's past tailbone it actually "LOOKS" at least waist when dry...and funny but I feel like I've finally accomplished something there. All my senior year photos (when I was on the farm/in high school), show me in a pose with my hair pulled to the front and hanging down past my elbow (on my chest)...I don't even remember doing this...it was just so natural..and it was long enough and thick enough that it hung beautifully. Somewhere along the line (in the city) I again, naturally, stopped doing this and in all my pics the last several years my hair hangs loosely on my back or is up. I feel like I'm finally getting to the point where I can pull it forward with pride again..a great feeling!

I just looked at your pics quickly, and you do indeed have beautiful hair! I must go back (when I'm not writing essays) and read your blog....your scalp regrowth is impressive and looks like mine did after my henna disaster. Congratulations! And that full length herringbone braid....:gasp:. Wonderful! Happy growing to you too and looking forward to your updates. :flower:

I love wearing half-ups and have many hand made Celtic knot barrettes, thanks to Etsy. :) Also, for the very first time, my side hair is both long enough and thick enough that I can make a rope bun and wear a hair fork! So thrilled...thanks, again, to LHC and oiling.

Thank you so much Gaelic Girl! Yes looking at old pictures is helpful--I have just one from high school with braided hair in the front and I often look at it for inspiration. That thickness is still far away but I am happy with what I have now too. What are these barrettes that you use for half ups?

Gaelic Girl
March 25th, 2016, 04:32 PM
Wow LongCurlyTress that's incredible that we seem to be polar opposites in what works and doesn't! HUH..weird. Thank you for being so detailed. I would say your hem is thicker than mine, and mine is curlier...wonder if this is where the difference lies? In any case...you have glorious hair!! :blossom:

Thank you so much Gaelic Girl! Yes looking at old pictures is helpful--I have just one from high school with braided hair in the front and I often look at it for inspiration. That thickness is still far away but I am happy with what I have now too. What are these barrettes that you use for half ups?

Beborani You can get some from Etsy. QueCraft is hair friendly, but look for anything with a pin like this as it's gentle on your hair. Happy shopping! :) :cheese:

Cheers, GG

https://www.etsy.com/listing/218169044/horn-hair-barrette-q10913?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=hair%20barrette&ref=sc_gallery_3&plkey=2a1d5afc2df111aa091e415b74c70dee334caa39:218 169044