PDA

View Full Version : Styling bangs: how do you?

Robot Ninja
March 19th, 2016, 08:24 AM
Much as I like having poufy hair, it's a bit of a mixed blessing when it comes to bangs. Sometimes they look great just as they are. Other times, they aim to misbehave. They go flat on top and poufy on the bottom, or stick straight up like something out of a bad '80s teen movie, and oh how they love to do that flippy sticky-outy thing at the sides.

So, all you other LHC-ers with bangs that have a mind of their own: how do you style them? Flat iron? Blow-dryer and a round brush? Some kind of product? Let's discuss.

bunneh.
March 19th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I blow dry mine after washing my hair with a blow dryer on medium setting and a round brush, I don't use any products. I usually style them once or twice a week, not daily, I'm too lazy for that lol. I remember using a buff as a headband while brushing my teeth and washing my face to keep them out of the way and that refreshed them a bit and helped them stay in shape and not be so flat against the forehead. Sometimes they're annoying and lose their shape throughout the day, but I'm not overobsessing over my bangs and just let them be.

spidermom
March 19th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I have used a flat iron to style mine but am not doing that now because I'm growing them out. If they're doing something funky, I do a 2-strand twisty thing to contain them.

Wusel
March 19th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I have used a flat iron to style mine but am not doing that now because I'm growing them out. If they're doing something funky, I do a 2-strand twisty thing to contain them.

Me too. Flat iron to make them look 1950s, very sleek and curled under with tons of hairspray. But I've grown them out successfully and now I have chin-length bangs, most of the time braided back.

Magalo
March 19th, 2016, 09:29 AM
Round brush and hairdrier on wash day (I have blunt bangs) and pushed into side swept bangs on day 2!

Red.
March 19th, 2016, 12:37 PM
I wash and style my blunt bangs with a hair dryer and round brush everyday. Unlike the rest of my hair, they get washed every day and I'll usually just do it in the sink with a bit of shampoo/conditioner. I don't use anything to set it like hairspray because I hate the feeling it gives.

chen bao jun
March 19th, 2016, 01:30 PM
When I was straightened, I just used to curling iron mine every single day. It didn't really matter, because I kept cutting them to keep them as bangs so no damage ever showed. Or even seemed to be there. I used to cut them once they got past the end of my nose, which seemed like it was all the time--Aaah, the days when I wasn't trying to grow my hair and it just seemed to grow at the speed of light, especially my bangs, I have to say.

I used the curling iron because nothing else I did--hair rollers, pin curls, all the heatless methods, had them come out looking decent at all. they'd bulge funny, or have angle in them from the bobby pins, or something--only heat would do.

When I started wear my hair natural, since it spirals naturally, I had these great bangs without doing a single thing. They looked like those squiggly bangs that you see on ancient Greek women in paintings. But then I decided to grow them out and that was a pain. the longer they got, the looser the curl got, so I lost my lovely little squiggles and had to roll the bangs up with sponge rollers, which used to last about ten minutes before all the curl was gone and they were in my eyes--or later, in my mouth. I have officially gotten rid of them as of last weekend as they long enough now to go into a bun, or if my hair is loose,they just look like part of the rest of it, they are still shorter but you cant' really tell.

I may cut them in again though someday because they are face softening and also, because with bangs, my hair looks less--appallingly thick. I like it to BE thick, but I don't like to LOOK, you know, like a lion's mane, which at the moment it seems to be doing a a lot.
but Im trying to give it a chance, being bangless. I may just be withdrawal becasue I have had them for more than 50 years, ever since I burned off the front of my hair cooking at age seven and my mother cut bangs and I was like, wow, you can't see my widows peak like this, this is great! And you don't notice my giant eyebrows so much.

But I don't actually mind my widows peak now. And my eyebrows seem to be leaving me, old age or something. :(

Robot Ninja
March 19th, 2016, 02:09 PM
I used to cut them once they got past the end of my nose, which seemed like it was all the time--Aaah, the days when I wasn't trying to grow my hair and it just seemed to grow at the speed of light, especially my bangs, I have to say.

This is the big downside to bangs; they get to the perfect length and then a week later they're too long. Unless you're trying to grow them out, then they just grow at a snail's pace.

Good to see a lot of you don't have to use product. I don't have to wash my bangs any more often than the rest of my hair, so I'd like to keep not having to do that.

endlessly
March 19th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I have shorter sideswept bangs (tried to make them blunt straight across, but a lovely cowlick prevents that from happening) that rarely behave. I tend to just wash and condition them like normal, then use a fine-toothed comb to brush the hair under while using my hair dryer on the lowest setting. Once it's dry, I blast it with cold hair to "set" the curled under attempt and call it a day. My bangs tend to be a bit on the poofier side because I wash my hair at night, but by morning, they've typically calmed down. My biggest conundrum is when some of them wind up sticking up or off to the side and I get an extremely "feathered" look (think the '70's), but it normally just takes a bit of water and some cursing to calm them down again.

Inga-Marjukka
March 19th, 2016, 03:53 PM
The aforementioned two-strand twisty thing is my go to style in this horrible phase of growing out geometrical thick bangs that I decided to cut in the spur of the moment and regret immensely. Why did I do it :horse:

Anyway, when they were a bit shorter I used to style them by blow-drying on a hot setting and a round brush. My hair is very fine so the heat-part only took less than a minute and I always had a styling spray with heat protection applied beforehand. If I kept them down now they would cover my eyebrows which I don't like. Can't wait to get some serious face-framing layers and forget this ever happened.

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 04:24 PM
It's a long time since I had bangs. I used to always roundbrush them in my teens, then crimp them to bits (like the rest of my hair). The crimper made my hair dryer so I could extend washes a bit. How that worked, I still don't know, but it helped majorly at that time.

I have 2 cowlicks, one on each side (and 2 in the back of my hair) and so styling them was always a challenge. If they weren't crimped, I could rewet them every day to style them over and over again.

The crimper was my solution back then. :lol:

turtlelover
March 19th, 2016, 04:35 PM
I flat iron mine into submission, or I can quickly look a little bit too 80s for my taste. They are a pain. If Iooked REMOTELY ok w/out bangs I'd grow them out, but pretty much everyone agrees w/ me that I Iook much, much better w/ some form of bangs.

Seeshami
March 19th, 2016, 05:34 PM
Mess styles his own bangs.

The naughty mess says, "I do what I want."

Yes you do.

jlw9222
March 19th, 2016, 07:40 PM
My bangs are about cheekbone (maybe a touch longer) length. After I put up the long part, I grab the bangs and either braid them and pin them to the side or I just grab them and clip them to the side. Lately, however, I've been blowing them dry, combing them back and spraying them. I have a massive cowlick that lifts the bangs, so brushing them back give a lift in front...no clipping needed with the brush back and hair spray. :-)