PDA

View Full Version : Protein rich oils?

Lisa-K
March 19th, 2016, 04:52 AM
I think my hair needs extra protein. Do you know of any natural oils that contain a lot of it? I heard avocado oil is great in that regard. What do you think?

Obsidian
March 19th, 2016, 05:00 AM
pure oil of any kind doesn't contain protein. A whole, smashed avocado contains protein though and makes a nice hair mask, mix in a little coconut milk (the kind in a can) or plain yogurt and blend until smooth.

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 05:04 AM
Yes, oils don't contain proteins. Oils/fats are one basic food groups, others are protein and carbohydrates. Non of these groups, in pure form, contain the other groups. Oils, including avocado, are (when pure) 100% oil.

http://www.nutritionvalue.org/Oil,_avocado_nutritional_value.html

You can search any oils you are interested with words like:

[name of oil] nutritional value.

Lisa-K
March 19th, 2016, 05:12 AM
Oh ok. I had no idea. Thanks Obsidian for the recipe! I'll try it out. :)
I guess I'm mainly looking for natural protein options.

Bubble_Curl
March 19th, 2016, 05:26 AM
Gelatin is a natural protein option... it's not for everyone but it's an option:

http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/gelatin-hair-protein-treatment-faqs.html

Some oils help prevent protein loss, which may be what you're thinking of.

Lisa-K
March 19th, 2016, 07:21 AM
[/URL]

Some oils help prevent protein loss, which may be what you're thinking of.

Hmm. That sounds good too! Which oils would I be looking into then?

bunneh.
March 19th, 2016, 07:34 AM
I believe I read somewhere Coconut oil is good for preventing protein loss and that's why many people also use it before bleaching to reduce damage.

spidermom
March 19th, 2016, 09:15 AM
That's right, bunneh. If memory is correct, coconut oil is the best for preventing protein loss.

Bubble_Curl
March 19th, 2016, 12:36 PM
bunneh and spidermom are accurate in that!

That same blog I linked to earlier has a lot of information on managing protein amounts for hair if you just play around and read some things on there that appeal to you.