PDA

View Full Version : Time to clarify!

lapushka
March 18th, 2016, 03:48 PM
This is a thread to check in on clarify-day. Tell us when you've last clarified, maybe, if you remember, and also tell us what product you will be using.

I will be clarify-washing this Sunday with the Pantene clarifying shampoo (clear bottle, navy cap). I just checked my blog and I last clarified on Sunday, December 27th. So... it's about that time. High time, I think. ;) Even though I wash with sulfates weekly, I still like to use this shampoo from time to time. I never used to clarify specially. I just used my sulfate shampoo. But ever since finding the clarifying shampoo, I guess I'm going to use it.

When is your time to clarify? When was your last time, and what will you be using?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I don't keep records, but probably every 4-6 weeks. I have the Joico shampoo, but it is $48 a bottle here so I am VERY careful to eke it out. I normally just wash with Pantene Ice Shine (well diluted) and I'm not entirely sure if that clarifies or not, to be honest.

Sarahm
March 18th, 2016, 04:02 PM
A confession: I never clarify my hair.

Yes, shame on me, apparently. But does it make that much of a difference?

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I usually buy Finnish brand Herbina's clarifying shampoo, which also chelates.

I don't use it on schedule, but as needed. I have learned to recognize the effects build-up has on my hair. I am not using clarifying shampoo very often, though, as I normally shampoo my whole hair several times a week with full strenght sulphate shampoos. Last time I clarified - I can't even remember exactly - was probably a month, month and half ago.

I do get build-up very easily. I have thankfully, through trial and error, managed to find products for everyday use, that seem to not leave huge build-up. But in general I can say that everything builds up and fast. And on the flip side of coin, my hair likes to be stripped and clean.

Learning properly about build-up has been a game changer for me. Although I knew about the concept before LHC and had occasionally bought clarifying shampoos, I lacked knowledge and methodological approach. I have, in the past (before LHC), chopped many times my "terribly damaged" hair, which I now know has been just some build-up.

I know it gets to thrown around the forum a lot: "Have you clarified?" People tend to become immune to it, after seeing it so much. But the truth is, it's recommended so often for a reason - because it is effective!

I also have recently noticed, that many people don't realize that to clarify, one needs to wash all the lengths, and tips too. Possibly lather several times. That is the essence of clarifying: cleanse all the hair super well.

Sarahm
March 18th, 2016, 04:12 PM
Great idea for a thread!

I usually buy Finnish brand Herbina's clarifying shampoo, which also chelates.

I don't use it on schedule, but as needed. I have learned to recognize the effects build-up has on my hair. I am not using clarifying shampoo very often, though, as I normally shampoo my whole hair several times a week with full strenght sulphate shampoos. Last time I clarified - I can't even remember exactly - was probably a month, month and half ago.

I do get build-up very easily. I have thankfully, through trial and error, managed to find products for everyday use, that seem to not leave huge build-up. But in general I can say that everything builds up and fast. And on the flip side of coin, my hair likes to be stripped and clean.

Learning properly about build-up has been a game changer for me. Although I knew about the concept before LHC and had occasionally bought clarifying shampoos, I lacked knowledge and methodological approach. I have, in the past (before LHC), chopped many times my "terribly damaged" hair, which I now know has been just some build-up.

I know it gets to thrown around the forum a lot: "Have you clarified?" People tend to become immune to it, after seeing it so much. But the truth is, it's recommended so often for a reason - because it is effective!

I also have recently noticed, that many people don't realize that to clarify, one needs to wash all the lengths, and tips too. Possibly lather several times. That is the essence of clarifying: cleanse all the hair super well.

Thanks for the info, Arctic. Do you happen to know if Head and Shoulders is a clarifying shampoo? Or is it just harsh? (god, I sound like a total newbie)

yahirwaO.o
March 18th, 2016, 05:13 PM
A confession: I never clarify my hair.

Yes, shame on me, apparently. But does it make that much of a difference?

Same here!!!! I know how clarifying works great for people (seen it with my own eyes) yet I never ever done it for myself. I do ACV from time to time but it's more like chelating if i'm not mistaken. I do wash with SLS and to be honest my hair just looks fine. I assume that my straight hair will never look super bouncy. It's always sleek and shiny, not limp or lank so its just good for me!

BrendaLoan
March 18th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Same here!!!! I know how clarifying works great for people (seen it with my own eyes) yet I never ever done it for myself. I do ACV from time to time but it's more like chelating if i'm not mistaken. I do wash with SLS and to be honest my hair just looks fine. I assume that my straight hair will never look super bouncy. It's always sleek and shiny, not limp or lank so its just good for me!

Guilty of charge as well! I really can't tell if there is any buildup in my hair :p

school of fish
March 18th, 2016, 05:38 PM
Wellllll... I suppose technically I'm clarifying twice a week when I shampoo, but it's part of my weekly routine so I don't exactly think of it as clarifying :)

Before I established my current routine (and as I was experimenting with oils, cone-free conditioners, CO washing, frequency of washing, etc.) I found that a periodic clarifying with Neutrogena's clarifying shampoo was very beneficial. I didn't really pay attention to how often I did it, but I suppose maybe anywhere from every 3-6 weeks? As needed :)

But since I settled into my routine I haven't ever felt the need to clarify since - and I've been on this routine a year now. I'm washing daily using Pantene Ice Shine - 5 days of the week are CO and the remaining 2 days are S&C with oil-rinsing in between. With the Ice Shine shampoo being quite sulphatey it likely does the job of clarifying quite thoroughly. The conditioner is rich and slippy but only has one 'cone, so it doesn't seem to build up on me the way so many other things do. In fact the ingredient lists on both products are actually fairly minimal, which is one of the reasons I like it and likely why it works well in my hair :)

That said, if I ever do feel like I need to clarify again I'll be reaching for the Neutrogena - that stuff is great! :D

Sarahm
March 18th, 2016, 05:43 PM
Guilty of charge as well! I really can't tell if there is any buildup in my hair :p

omg lol me neighter :p

Sarahm
March 18th, 2016, 05:46 PM

Well, some people seem to think acv is clarifying, but I'm not an expert, so. Sleek and shiny sounds good enough to me :)

Obsidian
March 18th, 2016, 05:51 PM
I don't have a set scheduled to clarify but I generally do it a couple times a month or when my hair starts getting limp. I use quite a lot of cones and with my fine hair, they build up easily. My regular shampoo has sulfates but for clarifying, I use suaves daily clarifying, I might try pantene next time.

Nadine <3
March 18th, 2016, 05:57 PM
I don't have a set schedule and right now I have a great routine that is working really well and not leaving me with any build up. At least not noticeable build up.

I like to keep my last couple inches dyed with purple manic panic, so I usually just clarify super well right before I dye it and that seems to be more than enough.

HoD
March 18th, 2016, 06:01 PM
I am a total newbie. How do I tell if I need to clarify? My hair's pretty wavy and doesn't seem weighed down. Also, any advice on natural options besides ACV? I was reading a post on bentonite clay and sea salt treatments. Any experience with that? Thanks!

yahirwaO.o
March 18th, 2016, 06:04 PM

You are my girl!!! :soapbox: I think we 3 are going to be under LHC Police for hair offence! :o

Well, some people seem to think acv is clarifying, but I'm not an expert, so. Sleek and shiny sounds good enough to me :)

It does sound and looks great! But I really want to know if ACV is really a good thing to clarify! I cant think of vinegar having super strip oil powers such as those heavy squeaky clean shampoos!

Kiiruna
March 18th, 2016, 06:11 PM
I used to clarify, but then I just gave up, because it made no difference to me :D Guilty as charged here as well!

Obsidian
March 18th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I am a total newbie. How do I tell if I need to clarify? My hair's pretty wavy and doesn't seem weighed down. Also, any advice on natural options besides ACV? I was reading a post on bentonite clay and sea salt treatments. Any experience with that? Thanks!

There really isn't any good natural ways to clarify. Clarifying is when you use strong detergent to wash away any build up of oils, sebum, product, pollution, etc.. If your hair seems lifeless, dull or just not its self, try a good clarifying shampoo.

ACV is not clarifying but it can help chelate (remove mineral build up), this is especially important if you have hard water.

cathair
March 18th, 2016, 06:15 PM
I do the same as Nadine <3, clarify before I re-dye. So once every 4 - 6 weeks, I guess? I don't really keep track, whenever I have roots I can't stand :p Will be using Ojon detox till it runs out. It was stupidly expensive, so I won't be replacing it. It doesn't seem that special, but this bottle has lasted me years! I don't really know if it chelates. I could do with getting some more swimming shampoo, I haven't done that for a while and I have water with a lot of iron in it.

I know it's time when the ends get even more tangley than usual.

yahirwaO.o
March 18th, 2016, 06:29 PM
There really isn't any good natural ways to clarify. Clarifying is when you use strong detergent to wash away any build up of oils, sebum, product, pollution, etc.. If your hair seems lifeless, dull or just not its self, try a good clarifying shampoo.

ACV is not clarifying but it can help chelate (remove mineral build up), this is especially important if you have hard water.

Thank you!!!! Still I think my hair is just fine without it! :o

Beborani
March 18th, 2016, 07:03 PM
Never. I cowash and use silicone serums and oils with abandon along with any number of other leave in products. Initially I assumed I needed to clarify regulalrly and tried half-hearted attempts but gave up and waited for signs of buildup that never came. I live dangerously!

khryz
March 18th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Giovanni Golden Wheat Deep Cleanse Shampoo. I last clarified on 9 March. It washed off the bleach, whatever buildup in my hair, and removed remnants of my previous semi-permanent color. I've used it only when I color my hair, so I don't have a schedule. Perhaps the next clarifying will happen in 6 weeks, or if I can last another 3 weeks not letting bleach touch my hair :p

Laur
March 18th, 2016, 10:09 PM
According to my blog, I last clarified on Jan 11, so I'm probably about due. My hair has been pretty well behaved, even to the point of washing it less, but the ends are getting velcro-y again, so it's probably time to clarify!

I use the Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo to clarify (since it's what I already have in my cabinet).

mermaid lullaby
March 18th, 2016, 10:10 PM
I use Joico too, I didn't know other shampoo can be used to clarify. I clarify when it feels dry or, coated and, feels crunchy. I last clarified on March 13 but before that, it was in December.

turtlelover
March 18th, 2016, 10:12 PM
At lapushka's recommendation, I bought some Pantene Ice Shine shampoo awhile back. When I use it, I think it is harsh enough that I don't seem to need to clarify if I use it every other wash or so. Before that when I was using a more gentle shampoo, I would use Neutrogena Anti Residue, which seems to do the trick really well (though I HATE the smell of the stuff!).

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2016, 12:01 AM
I just clarified and chelated yesterday with JOICO; I use it when the seasons change (every 12 weeks).
Every 2 weeks I use neutrogena
Every 2 weeks I use silver shampoo (Pantene)
I alternate the 2 and have 2 weeks between each

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 04:28 AM
Thanks for the info, Arctic. Do you happen to know if Head and Shoulders is a clarifying shampoo? Or is it just harsh? (god, I sound like a total newbie)

Post the ingredient list, so we can take a look if it seems like a clarifying shampoo. I don't know from the top of my hat.

But I do know that my personal experience has always been, that only shampoos marketed as clarifying actually clarify buildup effectively. The way a clarifying shampoo makes my hair feel (awesome!) is different than most any normal shampoo would.

HoD
March 19th, 2016, 04:36 AM

I've also been wondering what chelating is. Thanks, I get it now :)

Persiangirl01
March 19th, 2016, 04:43 AM
Clarified yesterday with Tresseme's deep cleansing shampoo. My hair feels super soft and bouncy and definitely wavier than it has been in a while :joy:

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 05:29 AM
At lapushka's recommendation, I bought some Pantene Ice Shine shampoo awhile back. When I use it, I think it is harsh enough that I don't seem to need to clarify if I use it every other wash or so. Before that when I was using a more gentle shampoo, I would use Neutrogena Anti Residue, which seems to do the trick really well (though I HATE the smell of the stuff!).

The Aqua Light, Pantene volumizing, and Ice Shine mimic a clarifying shampoo quite well as they have a few good ingredients for it. Meteor is the expert on this, though.

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 05:30 AM

The *real* H&S has a silicone quite high up the list, so I'd count it out.

Sarahm
March 19th, 2016, 09:24 AM
Post the ingredient list, so we can take a look if it seems like a clarifying shampoo. I don't know from the top of my hat.

But I do know that my personal experience has always been, that only shampoos marketed as clarifying actually clarify buildup effectively. The way a clarifying shampoo makes my hair feel (awesome!) is different than most any normal shampoo would.

Thank you. So this is the ingredient list of H&S apple fresh (I bought it a while back but I've only used it once, usually I wsh my hair once a week with organic rose shampoo that doesn't contain SLS or silicones or parabens). I'm not sure if you can buy clarifying shampoo in Belgium though..

Aqua, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Zinc Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Zinc Pyrithione, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Parfum, Sodium Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrochloric Acid, Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide, Hexyl Cinnamal, Magnesium Nitrate, Sodium Polynaphthalenesulfonate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, CI 42090, CI 19140, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone

Sarahm
March 19th, 2016, 09:27 AM
The *real* H&S has a silicone quite high up the list, so I'd count it out.

Oh, okay. Do you live in the Netherlands? Because I've been looking for a clarifying shampoo in Kruidvat but I haven't found one. Although I might have overlooked it.

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 10:17 AM
Thank you. So this is the ingredient list of H&S apple fresh (I bought it a while back but I've only used it once, usually I wsh my hair once a week with organic rose shampoo that doesn't contain SLS or silicones or parabens). I'm not sure if you can buy clarifying shampoo in Belgium though..

Aqua, Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Glycol Distearate, Zinc Carbonate, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Xylenesulfonate, Zinc Pyrithione, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Dimethicone, Parfum, Sodium Benzoate, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrochloric Acid, Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide, Hexyl Cinnamal, Magnesium Nitrate, Sodium Polynaphthalenesulfonate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, CI 42090, CI 19140, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone

Thanks!

It does have strong sulphate base, with 2 different sulphates (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Also Sodium Xylenesulfonate is a surfactant, not sure if it's counted as sulphate though, and Cocamidopropyl Betaine is also a surfactant). This all does seem like it could make a good deep cleaning shampoo.

But. I didn't google all the ingredients that I wasn't familiar with, but it has at least 2, that are of the hair shaft coating types (Dimethicone which is silicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride which is "quat"). Good clarifying shampoos usually don't have silicones and quats (although I have seen ones that do have, so it's not unheared of. Just know that they will form a coating over your strands).

Zinc Pyrithione is the active, dandruff fighting ingredient. (Possibly Zinc Carbonate helps with this, too.)

It doesn't have proteins, which is good, as they can build up too.

To be honest, I can't say if it would work as a clarifying shampoo. It seems to have favourable and unfavourable aspects. I can imagine this shampoo would fall into the YMMV category, and work for some but not for others.

I would personally choose different shampoo for clarifying for myself. Firstly because I like to avoid silicones (especially in the shampoos), and secondly, this looks like it's super harsh, which might mean irritated scalp for me. I have always had the best results from shampoos that actually say deep cleaning or clarifying or removes product residue, etc, on the bottle.

If your rose shampoo happens to be Urtekram brand, I have always found that this brand cleans my hair very well even though it's not on the harsher side of things. I think it's because they have pretty basic ingredient lists, and not really coating ingredients. Perhaps not cleansing on a level of a proper clarifying shampoo would be, but somehow it always makes my strands very clean all the way to the tips (and makes my hair feel and look great). I usually use their Lavendar shampoo, but have tried others too.

MsPharaohMoan
March 19th, 2016, 10:47 AM

This.

I recently clarified, my hair easily gets buildup.

Sarahm
March 19th, 2016, 11:22 AM
Thanks!

It does have strong sulphate base, with 2 different sulphates (Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Sodium Laureth Sulfate. Also Sodium Xylenesulfonate is a surfactant, not sure if it's counted as sulphate though, and Cocamidopropyl Betaine is also a surfactant). This all does seem like it could make a good deep cleaning shampoo.

But. I didn't google all the ingredients that I wasn't familiar with, but it has at least 2, that are of the hair shaft coating types (Dimethicone which is silicone, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride which is "quat"). Good clarifying shampoos usually don't have silicones and quats (although I have seen ones that do have, so it's not unheared of. Just know that they will form a coating over your strands).

Zinc Carbonate is the active, dandruff fighting ingredient.

It doesn't have proteins, which is good, as they can build up too.

To be honest, I can't say if it would work as a clarifying shampoo. It seems to have favourable and unfavourable aspects. I can imagine this shampoo would fall into the YMMV category, and work for some but not for others.

I would personally choose different shampoo for clarifying for myself. Firstly because I like to avoid silicones (especially in the shampoos), and secondly, this looks like it's super harsh, which might mean irritated scalp for me. I have always had the best results from shampoos that actually say deep cleaning or clarifying or removes product residue, etc, on the bottle.

If your rose shampoo happens to be Urtekram brand, I have always found that this brand cleans my hair very well even though it's not on the harsher side of things. I think it's because they have pretty basic ingredient lists, and not really coating ingredients. Perhaps not cleansing on a level of a proper clarifying shampoo would be, but somehow it always makes my strands very clean all the way to the tips (and makes my hair feel and look great). I usually use their Lavendar shampoo, but have tried others too.

Thank you a lot for taking the time to explain this to me :). As I've said, I'm quite new at experimenting with natural hair care. It seems like I'm discovering new things every day here on LHC. Obviously, my hair care regimen before I became a member was terrible :). Heat styling, chemical dyes, the worst shampoos, ... And therefore my hair was in really bad shape. But thanks to people like you, I'm slowly learning how to take better care of my hair. And it shows, which is great :D. So big thanks!

Okay, so the H&S shampoo doesn't seem like a great idea. I felt it was kind of harsh anyway.

Yes, I use Urtekram shampoo. I really love their products and I have tried quite a lot of them myself. Their rosemary shampoo smells divine and it seems to work really well.

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Your are welcome, I'm happy to help! I remember how it was a new member, so much info it was overwhelming. Some old members helped me out then (many times, I may add!), and I like to do the same for others.

Urtekram rocks!

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Thank you a lot for taking the time to explain this to me :). As I've said, I'm quite new at experimenting with natural hair care. It seems like I'm discovering new things every day here on LHC. Obviously, my hair care regimen before I became a member was terrible :). Heat styling, chemical dyes, the worst shampoos, ... And therefore my hair was in really bad shape. But thanks to people like you, I'm slowly learning how to take better care of my hair. And it shows, which is great :D. So big thanks!

Okay, so the H&S shampoo doesn't seem like a great idea. I felt it was kind of harsh anyway.

Yes, I use Urtekram shampoo. I really love their products and I have tried quite a lot of them myself. Their rosemary shampoo smells divine and it seems to work really well.

Oops, I made a small mistake, it's Zinc Pyrithione that is the active dandruff fighting ingredient. My eyes just saw the "zink" :)

Possible the other zink based ingredient helps dandruff too. I will edit my post.

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 12:34 PM
Oh, okay. Do you live in the Netherlands? Because I've been looking for a clarifying shampoo in Kruidvat but I haven't found one. Although I might have overlooked it.

Nope, I'm Belgian. :D The Pantene Aqua Light or the volume shampoo by them are good choices if you can't find anything else. They don't sell clarifying shampoos there at all. You might try an "Action". I found my Pantene clarifying shampoo there, just like that, one day - well, my mom found it for me.

Sarahm
March 19th, 2016, 04:55 PM
Nope, I'm Belgian. :D The Pantene Aqua Light or the volume shampoo by them are good choices if you can't find anything else. They don't sell clarifying shampoos there at all. You might try an "Action". I found my Pantene clarifying shampoo there, just like that, one day - well, my mom found it for me.

Oh, me too :D. Okay, my quest continues ...

Sarahm
March 19th, 2016, 05:00 PM
That's really nice of you :)

Yes, it does. I discovered it almost one year ago and although I'm not usually a name brand type of girl, for some reason I stick with their products.

Bubble_Curl
March 23rd, 2016, 02:32 PM
I clarified and chelated last night after a camellia oil experiment through me off schedule by giving me tons of horrible buildup I couldn't get rid of :( I use Ion Shine Purifying for hard water because I like to clarify and chelate at once if I can. The SLS isn't very high on the ingredients list and I also saw a quat on the list (I don't know too much about them yet, I am making my way through learning about ingredients slowly) so I experimented with mixing in a tiny dab of whatever weird body wash someone else had in the bathroom. Now I am contemplating doing a protein treatment and my SMT... but I might do a henna/SMT mix. We'll see!

lapushka
March 23rd, 2016, 02:42 PM
I usually don't mind quats, nor parabens, nor silicones. :) I don't know that much about polyquats either. :shrug:

Kaya
March 23rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
I try to clarify/chelate once a month. I do daily heavy oiling with a nightly CO-wash. Add in the hard water around here and I can tell when my hair starts feeling a bit off.

I use Redken's Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo. It definitely leaves my hair squeaky clean. :o Using it approximately once a month, maybe twice, my first bottle (which was purchased at a local salon) has lasted me over a year, with about a 1/4 left.

YvetteVarie
March 25th, 2016, 08:31 AM
I clarify once a week. I use a lot of gel and oils and leave ins, so I need to clarify frequently. I last clarified on Monday using the ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo.

Sarahm
March 26th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Yay, I found clarifying shampoo in Essenza (I think this chain is called Holland and Barrett or something in other countries) and in Yves Rocher. So I bought both of them :p: Yves Rocher Purifying Shampoo and Petal Fresh Clarifying shampoo. I'm looking forward to trying them.. :D

lapushka
March 26th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Yay, I found clarifying shampoo in Essenza (I think this chain is called Holland and Barrett or something in other countries) and in Yves Rocher. So I bought both of them :p: Yves Rocher Purifying Shampoo and Petal Fresh Clarifying shampoo. I'm looking forward to trying them.. :D

Are they sulfate-free; because you run that chance in Essenza (it is now called Holland & Barrett, yes) of them being without sulfates.

Sarahm
March 26th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Are they sulfate-free; because you run that chance in Essenza (it is now called Holland & Barrett, yes) of them being without sulfates.

Oh, I'm not sure. I'll check it out.

Sarahm
March 26th, 2016, 09:37 AM
The Yves Rocher shampoo contains ammonium lauryl sulfate. The other one doesn't.. Don't understand why the market it as clarifying then..

lapushka
March 26th, 2016, 09:44 AM
The Yves Rocher shampoo contains ammonium lauryl sulfate. The other one doesn't.. Don't understand why the market it as clarifying then..

Well some people want to "clarify" with milder things. It still gets rid of gunk, but sulfates are just better at it. It will still work, you know. So I wouldn't worry too too much!

Sarahm
March 26th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Well some people want to "clarify" with milder things. It still gets rid of gunk, but sulfates are just better at it. It will still work, you know. So I wouldn't worry too too much!

Oh, alright. And well, I can still use the Yves Rocher shampoo if the other one doesn't work..
Do you use conditioner after clarifying?

endlessly
March 26th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Since I wash my hair frequently, I never really pay attention to when I'm clarifying....maybe once every two weeks or so depending on my hair? I don't think I've clarified at all during winter just because of static and excess dryness in my house. When I do clarify, I tend to use the Karma Komba shampoo bar from Lush because it does wonders to remove the excess conditioners/creams/magical potions I coat my hair with and doesn't damage my ends (plus, it makes detangling a breeze).

Nadine <3
March 26th, 2016, 09:57 AM
I clarified last night, right before I dyed the ends of my hair red. I found a huge family sized pump bottle of my favorite clarifying shampoo. The VO5 kiwi squeeze stuff is so harsh t could probably strip paint off walls lol

lapushka
March 26th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Oh, alright. And well, I can still use the Yves Rocher shampoo if the other one doesn't work..

Yes I do; I do my normal routine, otherwise it will be difficult to detangle.

Groovy Granny
March 26th, 2016, 10:46 AM

I use a heavier conditioner on my ends after clarifying to counteract the dryness you can get (on my fine silver anyway).

Sarahm
March 26th, 2016, 10:48 AM
Thank you, lapushka and GG. :D

MeAndTheMaz
March 26th, 2016, 09:01 PM
My hair has been feeling kind of gunky lately, and this thread reminded me to clarify, so I did that today. Suave Daily Clarifying. Followed by a caffeine infused SMT.

Clarifying really does do wonders to the hair.

Frankenstein
March 31st, 2016, 10:32 PM
I clarified tonight using Herbal Essences Color Me Happy (I know it's not an actual "clarifying" shampoo but it works well for me). It feels like I have a different head of hair already.

browneyedsusan
April 1st, 2016, 06:01 AM
I used Joico chelating shampoo this morning. Going to switch up my bright accent colors a little. :)

Nesoi
April 1st, 2016, 06:33 AM
I clarified yesterday...I clarify once a month and my hair is always glad for it :) I spend the rest of the month loading it up with coconut oil and dry shampoo and Panacea and goodness knows what else. When I clarify I don't pre-oil or pre-condition, but I do condition afterwards and use Panacea as a leave-in.

Groovy Granny
April 1st, 2016, 01:26 PM
I used Joico chelating shampoo this morning. Going to switch up my bright accent colors a little. :)

My hair LOVES Joico chelating and clarifying Shampoo; followed by the KPak conditioner :crush:

The rest of the time I use the Joico Moisture S&C.

Great products :thumbsup:

Accent Colors? Do show :popcorn:

gthlvrmx
April 1st, 2016, 07:42 PM
When is my time to clarify? Today or tomorrow, my hair is tangling. I will be using Neutrogena Anti-Residue Shampoo to clarify.

Groovy Granny
April 1st, 2016, 09:45 PM
Neutrogena is nice and mild; I had no problems with my fine silver (I use a conditioner after).

Garnetgem
April 1st, 2016, 09:55 PM
Not clarified in a few years now yes i know sounds pretty bad doesn't it seeing as my hair is just passing hip length,i think it needs it though as its funny only the other day me and my mum were discussing it but as we searched on line for clarify shampoo we were overwhelmed by the vast choice out there so are unsure which one to go for as my hair is thick and my mums is thin..

Sarahm
April 2nd, 2016, 02:35 AM
So today i found out that clarifying actually works! :D Yay

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 03:32 AM
Not clarified in a few years now yes i know sounds pretty bad doesn't it seeing as my hair is just passing hip length,i think it needs it though as its funny only the other day me and my mum were discussing it but as we searched on line for clarify shampoo we were overwhelmed by the vast choice out there so are unsure which one to go for as my hair is thick and my mums is thin..

I just have the Pantene clarifying one (clear bottle, navy cap). Works really well and has a faint citrus scent.

So today i found out that clarifying actually works! :D Yay

Yay! :cheer:

Hailwidis
April 2nd, 2016, 03:56 AM
I've never clarified so this is something I need to try. Any advice for a good clarifying shampoo available in the Netherlands, fellow Benelux LHCers? :) I'm not Dutch so I find it pretty difficult to guess from Dutch shampoo labels whether a shampoo is clarifying or not.

Sarahm
April 2nd, 2016, 04:03 AM
I've never clarified so this is something I need to try. Any advice for a good clarifying shampoo available in the Netherlands, fellow Benelux LHCers? :) I'm not Dutch so I find it pretty difficult to guess from Dutch shampoo labels whether a shampoo is clarifying or not.

I found this shampoo at yves rocher: http://www.yvesrocher.ca/control/hair-care/oily-hair-care/purifying-shampoo/

And this one at Holland & Barret: http://petalfresh.com/product/clarifying-shampoo-rose-honeysuckle/

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 04:22 AM

Have a look at your local "Action" discount store... if there's one near you:
http://www.action.nl

I found the Pantene clarifying shampoo there years ago, well my mom found it for me but still.

If you can't find that, the Pantene Aqua Light or their volumizing shampoo will do in a pinch!

Also take a look at the Kruidvat stores around. They have a big selection of shampoos (no clarifying ones, but you should be able to find the volumizing Pantene one there).

Hailwidis
April 2nd, 2016, 08:33 AM
Thanks a lot Sarahm and Lapushka! I can definitely work with that. :)

Lolino
April 2nd, 2016, 10:04 AM

I had the same problem, but thankfully I can semi-read Dutch :D

I use Herbal Essences, bought it on Kruidvats online shop as they don't actually have it in stores (same for Hello Hydration conditioner), it's called Fresh Balance in their webshop (Direct Linky (https://www.kruidvat.nl/herbal-essences-fresh-balance-shampoo/p/2861160)), but is actually called Tea-lightfully Clean, no idea why. It's cheap, works pretty well for me, and I like the smell of tea tree so it works out! Plus getting it delivered to your local store means no shipping!

Never seen any Pantene besides the basic one at the Action here, alas. Haven't been to one in the last couple of months, maybe they've restocked.

As for the actual question of this thread; I sort of just clarify when I notice extra much gunk in my comb, or my hair decides to go all...tangly and weird. Usually follow it up with an SMT, and then my hair is happy as can be! So no actual schedule. Should get around to it next wash to be honest...

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 10:34 AM
I had the same problem, but thankfully I can semi-read Dutch :D

I use Herbal Essences, bought it on Kruidvats online shop as they don't actually have it in stores (same for Hello Hydration conditioner), it's called Fresh Balance in their webshop (Direct Linky (https://www.kruidvat.nl/herbal-essences-fresh-balance-shampoo/p/2861160)), but is actually called Tea-lightfully Clean, no idea why. It's cheap, works pretty well for me, and I like the smell of tea tree so it works out! Plus getting it delivered to your local store means no shipping!

The only major downside is you can't pay with PayPal on that site. I wanted to order from my BE Kruidvat store so many times (because you know I need stuff from there) but they don't take PP and I don't use other options online!

gthlvrmx
April 2nd, 2016, 04:14 PM
I clarified today and my hair is not tangling when I run my fingers through it really fast! :) Celebration time.

lapushka
April 2nd, 2016, 04:18 PM
I clarified today and my hair is not tangling when I run my fingers through it really fast! :) Celebration time.

Yay! I just clarified too, I think 2 weeks ago, I hadn't since December 27th, it was about time for me. Generally I wash really well with a harsh sulfate shampoo anyway, so I barely see a difference... :shrug: I never ever used to clarify. But I guess it's the way I wash normally that is enough already, I suppose.

Groovy Granny
April 2nd, 2016, 08:33 PM
Yay! I just clarified too, I think 2 weeks ago, I hadn't since December 27th, it was about time for me. Generally I wash really well with a harsh sulfate shampoo anyway, so I barely see a difference... :shrug: I never ever used to clarify. But I guess it's the way I wash normally that is enough already, I suppose.

Me too!

I decreased my shampoo use greatly (just a couple of tiny squirts diluted with conditioner to wash) but increased my conditioners for a CO wash, and a second condition/rinse.
No big changes but my hair is well moisturized now and has nice wurls/lift :)

khryz
April 3rd, 2016, 08:21 PM
Almost a month. Clarifying twice today, only because I'm using ColourB4 to get rid of product and color buildup, and I need to start with clean dry hair.

Now that I'm back to silicones, it's easier to tell when I need to clarify - when I start shedding too much and when my ends are dry again.

Garnetgem
April 3rd, 2016, 08:50 PM
Now that I'm back to silicones, it's easier to tell when I need to clarify - when I start shedding too much and when my ends are dry again.

I was shedding without silicones and not with them...all are different i see.

khryz
April 4th, 2016, 02:26 AM
I was shedding without silicones and not with them...all are different i see.

Perhaps because of my hair length, it's easy to clog up my pores if I work my coney-conditioner too high up my length. That's the only reason I can think of that causes the shedding. I didn't experience more shedding when I tried going cone-free, but my bleached hair is happier with cones.

Very interesting indeed, since we have the same hair type :)

LadyCelestina
April 4th, 2016, 09:00 AM
How do you all decide on a clarify schedule? My hair seems to get build up very easily and it always takes me a while to figure out if build up or just one messed up wash, it seems like having a schedule would be beneficial. Any starting point?

lillielil
April 4th, 2016, 09:05 AM
My schedule is "when it needs it". Basically if my hair, especially ends, feel gummy or tangly or dull.

I clarified this morning. I've been a little over-zealous with the leave-ins lately, and my ends were getting gross. After clarifying I tend to use a lighter conditioner - I used the Suave that I normally use as a first C in my daily CWC. In my mind I'm extending the clarified-ness by a little bit by skipping the heavy conditioner.

lapushka
April 4th, 2016, 09:38 AM
How do you all decide on a clarify schedule? My hair seems to get build up very easily and it always takes me a while to figure out if build up or just one messed up wash, it seems like having a schedule would be beneficial. Any starting point?

Start writing down when you get build up. Then a wash prior to that usual build-up, clarify.

summergame
April 5th, 2016, 02:34 AM
I have found this shampoo (garnier fructis vita boost fresh) without silicones and paraben. The ingredients you can see at the link below. Is this a good one to clean?
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/IMG_20160405_102928_zpsjvkwisnz.jpg

lapushka
April 5th, 2016, 04:02 AM
I have found this shampoo (garnier fructis vita boost fresh) without silicones and paraben. The ingredients you can see at the link below. Is this a good one to clean?
http://i328.photobucket.com/albums/l359/Lucius1988/IMG_20160405_102928_zpsjvkwisnz.jpg

I'm not quite sure. I think you'd be better off with the Pantene volumizing one. Seems like it has a lot of added ingredients and only AL(E)S to clean, which is a little (not much) lighter than SL(E)S is. It also has salicylic acid in there, peppermint oil, lots of fruit acids. I'm not sure it will actually clarify that well. Seems like a regular sulfate shampoo to me, but since it is without silicones it *can* be clarifying if you don't regularly wash with sulfates. Just try it, and get your lengths washed as well. And just see what the results are. It's better than nothing!

summergame
April 5th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Ok thank you Lapushka! :) I also bought a bottle of Pantene aqua light here in Carrefour to be sure :)

lapushka
April 5th, 2016, 05:46 AM
Ok thank you Lapushka! :) I also bought a bottle of Pantene aqua light here in Carrefour to be sure :)

I think you'd be better off for clarifying with the Aqua Light.

Good luck & happy washing! :)

LadyCelestina
April 5th, 2016, 06:06 AM
Start writing down when you get build up. Then a wash prior to that usual build-up, clarify.

Great idea, thanks !

Garnetgem
April 5th, 2016, 06:54 AM
I just have the Pantene clarifying one (clear bottle, navy cap). Works really well and has a faint citrus scent

Tried to find this shampoo but it comes up as discontinued but there is alternative new improved design by pantene...

lapushka
April 5th, 2016, 07:20 AM
Tried to find this shampoo but it comes up as discontinued but there is alternative new improved design by pantene...

I know nothing about the ingredients of the new and improved one. It's no wonder it's discontinued as it showed up at my discount store. I think my mom grabbed the last 2 bottles... a long time ago now.

AutobotsAttack
April 5th, 2016, 09:30 AM
a couple of days ago, I technically chelated, with this optimum neutralizing shampoo, since I relaxed my hair after being about two months post. This time around I haven't been getting as much breakage as I usually do after a relaxer, and I chelated again the second day after, so im going to wait until Thursday which is my off day to clarify just to be sure ive got enough of these calcium deposits off of my hair (I know a clarifying shampoo wont take off as much or if any like a chelating shampoo does), but if need be ill just buy another chelating shampoo, and mix some with a cheap clarifying shampoo, so I can kill two bird with one stone (not literally I promise, I like birds).

Lizzie.torp
April 5th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I don't think I've ever intentionally clarified. But what I'm confused about is that my hair is so poofy and when it's finally not, it's greasy and a shower starts it over. Do I need to clarify being a 2b/m/ii/iii hair?

lapushka
April 5th, 2016, 12:44 PM
I don't think I've ever intentionally clarified. But what I'm confused about is that my hair is so poofy and when it's finally not, it's greasy and a shower starts it over. Do I need to clarify being a 2b/m/ii/iii hair?

You never know until you do it once. It depends. Has your hair always done that, or is it something new?

Lizzie.torp
April 5th, 2016, 03:42 PM
Well, I've kept my hair very short for the past 7 years and it's collarbone length for the first time in a while. Is it possible clarifying can tame the poof? I've been afraid it would do the opposite.

Groovy Granny
April 19th, 2016, 11:56 AM
Bumping...and I am now subscribed (keep forgetting to post) :doh:

I did my silver shampoo on April 7 and will be doing Neutrogena Clarifying this Friday (22nd); I alternate them every other week.

Joico Clarifying & Chelating is done every 12 weeks with the season changes.
It was done last on the VERNAL EQUINOX.....(SPRING) MAR 20 2016
The next one is due on the SUMMER SOLSTICE....(SUMMER) JUN 20 2016

gthlvrmx
April 19th, 2016, 03:27 PM

Since December is a long time! I still get some tangles, but it's usually just shed hairs that are tangling. It's better though than before I think, it still feels softer and nice. Many shampoo's these days build up anyways(even if it's slow or minimal) so a good clarifying shampoo can help reset everything.

molljo
April 19th, 2016, 04:06 PM
I clarified and chelated on Sunday (the 17th) with Redken Cleansing Shampoo. I try to do it once a month on a schedule, mainly for chelating purposes. Always follow up with a modified smt (olive oil instead of aloe). Of all the things LHC has taught, me, this has been the most beneficial. There's a reason it's one of the most brought up topics when something goes wrong.

Groovy Granny
April 23rd, 2016, 09:54 AM
Bumping...and I am now subscribed (keep forgetting to post) :doh:

I did my silver shampoo on April 7 and will be doing Neutrogena Clarifying this Friday (22nd); I alternate them every other week.

Joico Clarifying & Chelating is done every 12 weeks with the season changes.
It was done last on the VERNAL EQUINOX.....(SPRING) MAR 20 2016
The next one is due on the SUMMER SOLSTICE....(SUMMER) JUN 20 2016

Neutrogena clarifying shampoo was done last night with K-Pak conditioner after; it feels amazing even in humid air!

I should try using the K-Pak during Summer humidity; that may give my wurls more definition :hmm:

Next treatment is May 6 with Silver Shampoo

reilly0167
April 23rd, 2016, 06:49 PM
I have no set day, but I usually clarify once very two or three weeks, or whenever my hair feels real gunky; I just use Suave clarifying shampoo.

Garnetgem
April 23rd, 2016, 09:06 PM
I clarified on the 13th of april but despite this i have lots of white powder on my comb unsure as to why....i rinsed lots too its a bit of a mystery..i used Pantene clarify shampoo its clear with a gold lid..but we do have water hardness of 23..

Frankenstein
April 28th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I clarified tonight. Just got out of the shower 30 minutes ago and my hair is already about halfway dry :cheer:

cowgirllong
April 28th, 2016, 08:55 PM
I clarified tonight, too. I wish my hair would be half way dried after half an hour!

Horrorpops
April 28th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Clarified and chelated last wash, I love the gorgeous bounce it gives my waves but hate how dry my hair feels even after deep conditioning. I feel like it takes a few conditions to get my hair back to feeling soft and moisturised.... not sure if anyone else finds this?

Frankenstein
April 28th, 2016, 09:43 PM
Clarified and chelated last wash, I love the gorgeous bounce it gives my waves but hate how dry my hair feels even after deep conditioning. I feel like it takes a few conditions to get my hair back to feeling soft and moisturised.... not sure if anyone else finds this?

That happens to me sometimes, usually when I shampoo the length twice and/or don't use a conditioner that's heavy enough after. It can be pretty annoying.

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 09:06 AM
I use Joico Chelating/Clarifying....wash the entire length once (don't let it sit)
Then I use K-Pak on the ends and put a wee bit on the crown hair (with what is left on my fingers)....let it sit while I shave/shower....then rinse.
I put mineral oil as usual on damp ends after being up in a turban for @ 15 min (parted in the middle/2-3 drops each side)

Haven't had any problems.

Are you letting it sit....or the conditioner isn't heavy enough?

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 09:17 AM
That happens to me sometimes, usually when I shampoo the length twice and/or don't use a conditioner that's heavy enough after. It can be pretty annoying.

I use Joico Chelating/Clarifying....wash the entire length once (don't let it sit)
Then I use K-Pak on the ends and put a wee bit on the crown hair (with what is left on my fingers)....let it sit while I shave/shower....then rinse.
I put mineral oil as usual on damp ends after being up in a turban for @ 15 min (parted in the middle/2-3 drops each side)

Haven't had any problems.

Are you letting it sit....or the conditioner isn't heavy enough?

Normally I just let the conditioner sit for 5-10mins or I'd let and SMT sit for an hour or so? :o

I'm currently just using moisturising my usual coney conditioner which is moisturising enough most of the time but doesn't seem to be cutting it after a clarify!

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Yeah...my Joico Moisture Conditioner wasn't heavy enough either = K-Pak Intense Hydrator

I also meant....are you letting the shampoo sit?

That would be too harsh for my hair.

jupiterinleo
April 29th, 2016, 09:28 AM
Great thread idea! It also reminded me that I'm in desperate need of some clarifying. I like to use Suave Daily Clarifying (my hair likes it and it's like $2).

I don't have a set schedule; I clarify when my ends are sticky and have a coated feeling.

When I clarify next I think I'll do a quick SMT after to combat the post-clarify dryness.

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Yeah...my Joico Moisture Conditioner wasn't heavy enough either = K-Pak Intense Hydrator

I also meant....are you letting the shampoo sit?

That would be too harsh for my hair.

Ooooh I see, well I apply straight to the roots and give those a good clean and then bring the shampoo down through my length and then let it sit for a minute or two. No longer though... maybe that's too much? My shampoo directions say it let it sit for chelating haha :p

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Who knows...I may not be getting the full benefit from it because I don't let it sit :shrug:
Then again, I am no expert in this; it is all new to me.
And I was cautious after hearing it can be very drying; I didn't want to fry my hair!
My silver shampoo is drying too...I let that sit; but the conditioner remedies it.

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Who knows...I may not be getting the full benefit from it because I don't let it sit :shrug:
Then again, I am no expert in this; it is all new to me.
And I was cautious after hearing it can be very drying; I didn't want to fry my hair!
My silver shampoo is drying too...I let that sit; but the conditioner remedies it.

I don't use Joico I have some other clarifying and chelating shampoo, maybe mine is more drying... I might try not letting it sit and see how that goes next month. I am just paranoid because I moved to somewhere with very hard water and had awful mineral build-up at first (before chelating for the first time) :p maybe I an overdoing it haha

Thanks for the advice, I'll see how a briefer wash goes. And next time I might buy Joico and see if that makes a difference as everyone seems pretty happy with it here :o

lapushka
April 29th, 2016, 11:29 AM
The only thing I let sit is my Nizoral, because you're "supposed to" let that sit for 5 min. I never let my clarifying shampoo marinate. Massage, rinse a bit, suds up again, rinse clear. That's my routine.

Groovy Granny
April 29th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I just read the directions again :o

It doesn't mention a second shampoo, but for a DEEP CLARIFYING...it said to leave it in for 2 minutes.

I'm not a heavy product user, and my hair seems fine, so I clarify every other week with neutrogena, alternating with my silver shampoo; then Joico is used quarterly....to be sure.

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:16 PM
About once a month, maybe sooner. I clarify and chelate in the same wash. I last did it just a few days ago (maybe 2 or 3?) and I use MalibuC undo goo (clarifying) and hardwater wellness (chelating)

Horrorpops
April 29th, 2016, 07:27 PM
The only thing I let sit is my Nizoral, because you're "supposed to" let that sit for 5 min. I never let my clarifying shampoo marinate. Massage, rinse a bit, suds up again, rinse clear. That's my routine.

Hmmm, maybe I need to chill out on the clarify haha :)

I just read the directions again :o

It doesn't mention a second shampoo, but for a DEEP CLARIFYING...it said to leave it in for 2 minutes.

I'm not a heavy product user, and my hair seems fine, so I clarify every other week with neutrogena, alternating with my silver shampoo; then Joico is used quarterly....to be sure.

Yes, mine says something similar! So I barely use hair products etc., but I do have very hard water and only clarify once every few months.. maybe I'll try doing it more frequently but for less long? The reason I don't do it more often is just the hair dryness afterwards.

DeadlyUnicorn
April 29th, 2016, 07:32 PM
Hmm I have to say I let most showering products sit on my head/hair for at least 1-2 minutes or so(conditioner even longer), regardless of what it is :P And I try to work everything into my hair really really well. It seems to get me the best, softest results I've had so far.

Groovy Granny
May 2nd, 2016, 04:09 PM
Today I picked up a 12oz bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo for $1 at my grocery store :agape:

I only clarify every other week and rotate between neutrogena and my silver shampoo....now I will add this one to try; the Joico Chelating and Clarifying is only done quarterly...unless I see a problem.

It would be a great deal if it works; as it is I have enough with these few products to last a year or more seeing I use so little lol

Does anyone use Suave....like it or not?

I probably use it more than I need to with my silver and sulfate shampoos; yes I also use conditioners and cones but have no build up..
Hubby is pure white, uses the same joico moisture shampoo I use, and does the silver shampoo once a week...and shows no yellow or texture issues.

Frankenstein
May 3rd, 2016, 01:50 PM
Today I picked up a 12oz bottle of Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo for $1 at my grocery store :agape:

I only clarify every other week and rotate between neutrogena and my silver shampoo....now I will add this one to try; the Joico Chelating and Clarifying is only done quarterly...unless I see a problem.

It would be a great deal if it works; as it is I have enough with these few products to last a year or more seeing I use so little lol

I probably use it more than I need to with my silver and sulfate shampoos; yes I also use conditioners and cones but have no build up..
Hubby is pure white, uses the same joico moisture shampoo I use, and does the silver shampoo once a week...and shows no yellow or texture issues.

A lot of people love the Suave clarifying shampoo but I find it a bit too harsh for myself personally; but if it doesn't work for you, at least it was cheap!

Groovy Granny
May 3rd, 2016, 01:57 PM
A lot of people love the Suave clarifying shampoo but I find it a bit too harsh for myself personally; but if it doesn't work for you, at least it was cheap!

Cheap ...that it is lol

I figure if I can tolerate Joico K-PAK Chelating/Clarifying I can manage with this one; seeing it's for daily use it can't be too harsh (I hope) :hmm:

Thanks for your input :thumbsup:

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 03:14 PM
I haven't done it in years. I don't use products and rinse with dilute vinegar only tbh. IT's much too harsh for me to clarify regularly.

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2016, 11:49 AM
I did my silver S&C today and I am loving the silver/white growth;it is increasing substantially.

Some darker sections are now different shades of blonde too :crush:

Free high/low lights :joy:

Kaya
May 7th, 2016, 12:09 PM

Can't say I've used much of the shampoo except a few time in the past and those are hazy memories. But I stockpile the matching Daily Clarifying conditioner! :lol: Not only cheap, but also the best stuff to wash out daily oilings! :thumbsup:

Groovy Granny
May 7th, 2016, 12:14 PM
Can't say I've used much of the shampoo except a few time in the past and those are hazy memories. But I stockpile the matching Daily Clarifying conditioner! :lol: Not only cheap, but also the best stuff to wash out daily oilings! :thumbsup:

Oh that's good to know too...thanks :)

Groovy Granny
May 20th, 2016, 08:53 AM
I just tried the Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and liked it :thumbsup:

I used Joico KPak Intense Hydrator Conditioner after.

Next treatment is in 2 weeks (Silver S&C)

Frankenstein
May 20th, 2016, 11:34 PM
I did a clarifying wash tonight. I've been doing it every 4 weeks but I'm going to try every 3 instead for a while because I feel like my hair needs it a bit more often.

Bergelmir
May 21st, 2016, 02:21 AM
Well, this is a bit sensitive to answer, in term a full "clarify", or simply cleansing (i don't enjoy the term "clarify" since it doesn't mean removing dirt but "looking through") is needed it may involve the following:

It basically is involving the cleaning part and the revitalizing part, in most shampoo both is combined in some way, but a separate approach is more powerful. There is a lot of misunderstanding but as far as my knowledge goes the matter is rather simple and easy to understand the basics, so i try to explain in order to have clarity:

Active agent [cleaning part]:
1. Detergent (removing fat only)
2. Detergent supporter (any form of acids, removing minerals)

3. Water [Carrier] (the more minerals the more detergent and detergent supporter is needed in order to wash properly)

Conditioning and protection [revitalizing part]:
4. Conditioner (building up a semi-permanent residue on the hair in order to improve moisture and health, basically any oils, essential oils and herbs or herbal essences)
5. Protector (building up a thin layer around the hair, for example proteins or silicone)

Any other stuff that is added is basically in order to preserve certain ingridients but it's not required in order for cleansing.

Shampoos contain about 80% water, 10% chemical detergent, a few % detergent supporter, a few % conditioner, a few % protector and all the other stuff is another few % for various but not cleansing reasons, it can also increase the power of the other 5 important parts but there is not any power by itself.

A soap basically got almost any part inside but there is the lack of detergent supporter and protector. So there can be the issue that the minerals from the water is not able to be kept at bay and it may become a issue when to much of minerals. Also there is no protector, so it may need to be done after washing with a soap. This can be done as a example using amla + egg yolk, amla got acid able to be a detergent supporter and egg yolk is containing proteins and lecithins able to be a protector.

A mask, known as cataplasm using for example egg yolk, flour, shikakai, amla reetha or other herbs, a bit of oil, got all 5 required parts for a total cleansing, so it can be done in a fully natural way but this is lot of work.

molljo
May 22nd, 2016, 04:11 PM
Checking in for my monthly clarify/chelate. I left it on longer than I usually do as I wasn't pleased with how quickly my hair became velcro-y these past few weeks. Lately I've been leaving it on for 2, but this time it was in the 7-ish minute range. My ends felt amazing as I was rinsing it off, so I can only assume it was the right choice. Right now it's up in a plop so I won't know for sure how it all turned out, but fingers crossed!

Groovy Granny
May 22nd, 2016, 04:29 PM
Well, this is a bit sensitive to answer, in term a full "clarify", or simply cleansing (i don't enjoy the term "clarify" since it doesn't mean removing dirt but "looking through") is needed it may involve the following:

It basically is involving the cleaning part and the revitalizing part, in most shampoo both is combined in some way, but a separate approach is more powerful. There is a lot of misunderstanding but as far as my knowledge goes the matter is rather simple and easy to understand the basics, so i try to explain in order to have clarity:

Active agent [cleaning part]:
1. Detergent (removing fat only)
2. Detergent supporter (any form of acids, removing minerals)

3. Water [Carrier] (the more minerals the more detergent and detergent supporter is needed in order to wash properly)

Conditioning and protection [revitalizing part]:
4. Conditioner (building up a semi-permanent residue on the hair in order to improve moisture and health, basically any oils, essential oils and herbs or herbal essences)
5. Protector (building up a thin layer around the hair, for example proteins or silicone)

Any other stuff that is added is basically in order to preserve certain ingridients but it's not required in order for cleansing.

Shampoos contain about 80% water, 10% chemical detergent, a few % detergent supporter, a few % conditioner, a few % protector and all the other stuff is another few % for various but not cleansing reasons, it can also increase the power of the other 5 important parts but there is not any power by itself.

A soap basically got almost any part inside but there is the lack of detergent supporter and protector. So there can be the issue that the minerals from the water is not able to be kept at bay and it may become a issue when to much of minerals. Also there is no protector, so it may need to be done after washing with a soap. This can be done as a example using amla + egg yolk, amla got acid able to be a detergent supporter and egg yolk is containing proteins and lecithins able to be a protector.

A mask, known as cataplasm using for example egg yolk, flour, shikakai, amla reetha or other herbs, a bit of oil, got all 5 required parts for a total cleansing, so it can be done in a fully natural way but this is lot of work.

Thanks for the info....

What product(s) do you use and how often?

Checking in for my monthly clarify/chelate. I left it on longer than I usually do as I wasn't pleased with how quickly my hair became velcro-y these past few weeks. Lately I've been leaving it on for 2, but this time it was in the 7-ish minute range. My ends felt amazing as I was rinsing it off, so I can only assume it was the right choice. Right now it's up in a plop so I won't know for sure how it all turned out, but fingers crossed!

Good luck ~ what did you use?

Cailinls
May 22nd, 2016, 05:17 PM
I Clarified on Thursday (May 19th). I used VO5 Clarifying Shampoo - Kiwi Lime. I just did a standard wash/condition using this shampoo instead of my regular shampoo. I am new to the forum, and haven't used a clarifying shampoo in who knows how long.... I have been annoyed with how dull my hair has been looking, and after reading on some of the threads, decided to try a clarifying wash. It doesn't seem to have helped AT ALL. I have well water, which is very hard, so I am thinking I may be in need of a Chelating to remove mineral build up. I plan on experimenting with ACV in the coming weeks.

Garnetgem
May 22nd, 2016, 07:50 PM
I Clarified on Thursday (May 19th). I used VO5 Clarifying Shampoo - Kiwi Lime. I just did a standard wash/condition using this shampoo instead of my regular shampoo. I am new to the forum, and haven't used a clarifying shampoo in who knows how long.... I have been annoyed with how dull my hair has been looking, and after reading on some of the threads, decided to try a clarifying wash. It doesn't seem to have helped AT ALL. I have well water, which is very hard, so I am thinking I may be in need of a Chelating to remove mineral build up. I plan on experimenting with ACV in the coming weeks.

I clarified after not doing so for 5 years possibly a bit longer than that too...it made no difference so i used it again in all i used it at each wash ending up 3 times in a row and on the 3rd wash it made a huge difference my hair is now shiny and soft..maybe you could try this it may help...i too have hard water which doesn't help our hair much...

molljo
May 23rd, 2016, 02:39 AM
Groovy Granny, I use Redken Cleansing Cream, as it removes both product and mineral buildup.

Groovy Granny
May 23rd, 2016, 10:28 AM
Groovy Granny, I use Redken Cleansing Cream, as it removes both product and mineral buildup.
:thumbsup: I hadn't heard of that one.

I use Joico K-PAK Clarifying/Chelating.

Frankenstein
June 24th, 2016, 01:37 PM
I clarified last night and followed that up with Aussie 3MM Moist left on for ten minutes. This is a combo that I can always count on for giving me a good hair day.

Groovy Granny
July 10th, 2016, 11:40 AM
I just tried the Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo and liked it :thumbsup:

I used Joico KPak Intense Hydrator Conditioner after.

Next treatment is in 2 weeks (Silver S&C)

In the past 2 months I have come to prefer JOICO and my hair loves it, so I added the Suave to my body wash LOL

The plan is to use Joico clarifying and chelating with K-PAK conditioner once a month (week 1) and silver S&C once a month (week 2)

Kendrix
July 10th, 2016, 03:33 PM
I usually clarify only my scalp, but this week called for dire measures. I brought suave daily clarifying shampoo and a v05 moisture milk conditioner to beach week with me and it was a disaster. I thought I could get the salt out with a little clarifying and enough conditioner, but the moisture milk would not come out of my hair. It was grimy and sticky and horrible. I ended up letting it become a Matt together in locks and crudely braided them. I alternated between braiding and pinning all week.

Today, I took the clarifying shampoo and did my whole length. Instead of conditioner I used an ACV rinse and it brought my hair back from the dead. I don't know why my hair is suddenly refusing to soak in conditioner, but thank goodness for suave.

diddiedaisy
July 10th, 2016, 03:57 PM
I've never chelated my hair, is swimmers shampoo chelating?

hobbitlocks
October 30th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I don't have a set schedule for clarifying, but I usually do it seasonally or when my hair feels weird. I finally used up my old bottle of clarifying shampoo this summer and bought the JOICO clarify/chelate but I'm nervous! I pretty much always lived places with hard hard water and I have never chelated before. What if I don't like my hair without years of mineral build up? ;) I keep putting it off... so this post is my commitment device to actually clarify/chelate my hair next time I wash it.

meteor
October 30th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I've never chelated my hair, is swimmers shampoo chelating?

Yes. :)

I don't have a set schedule for clarifying, but I usually do it seasonally or when my hair feels weird. I finally used up my old bottle of clarifying shampoo this summer and bought the JOICO clarify/chelate but I'm nervous! I pretty much always lived places with hard hard water and I have never chelated before. What if I don't like my hair without years of mineral build up? ;) I keep putting it off... so this post is my commitment device to actually clarify/chelate my hair next time I wash it.

The good news is that if you don't like it (e.g. if you find it too stripping), you can simply stop using it right away and it will go back to how your hair felt before pretty quickly, if you go back to the same products and the same water as before. ;)

I'd just recommend following up with a deep conditioning treatment, simply because hair is likely to benefit from deep conditioning more after being stripped. Personally, I tend to clarify only when my hair feels off and I know it's build-up causing this.

mizukitty
November 1st, 2016, 02:24 AM
Yay I love this thread! I clarified today using Vo5 "normal" shampoo. No idea what I was expecting when it said "gentle cleansing" but it was possibly the most stripping thing I've ever used, LOL. I wonder what they would consider clarifying?? :scared:

ephemeri
November 1st, 2016, 04:04 AM
I never used to clarify but recently had a bout of tender-headedness that I think is linked to my recent flirtations with silicones (it did NOT work out). Even with scrubbing my scalp with my regular shampoo AND using pura d'or (no sulfates but has other strong cleansers), I still felt like I had build up.

I used Neutrogena Anti-Residue shampoo and it worked actual wonders for my hair! I think I will continue this every month or so.

Winter Fox
November 1st, 2016, 04:17 AM
I'm so glad I found this thread! My hair was feeling limp and weird (especially the roots) lately but I couldn't figure out the reason. Now that I think about it ... I started using a shampoo with amodimethicone for the past two weeks or so and that could be the culprit.
Besides amodimethicone the shampoo also contains a fair amount of natural oils maybe that is just too much in order to use it frequently for me. Plus our water is hard and rich in minerals which could also contribute to my hair feeling strange.
I read through this thread and will get myself the Joico K-Pak Cleansing Shampoo. :D
For the clarifying wash I just did I used the harshest shampoo I have which I guess is the Pantene Volumizing. I'll wait until my hair is dry to see the results then I'll follow with a deep moisture treatment. :D

Gothic
November 1st, 2016, 05:47 AM
Does anyone know a good clarifying shampoo that's sold in the EU? I can't find any:(

hobbitlocks
November 2nd, 2016, 11:47 AM
I finally clarified/chelated and my hair feels wonderfully soft today and definitely has more volume than normal, even compared to just clarifying. But, my shorter hairs/regrowth at the front of my hairline were kind of poofy and annoying this morning -- maybe the hard water was helping to weigh them down? I will see how long it takes them to go back to normal.

Gothic- I'm in the US, so I can't give product recommendations, but lots of shampoos can work as clarifying shampoos. This post (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html) has a nice overview of what to look for.

Gothic
November 2nd, 2016, 12:01 PM
I finally clarified/chelated and my hair feels wonderfully soft today and definitely has more volume than normal, even compared to just clarifying. But, my shorter hairs/regrowth at the front of my hairline were kind of poofy and annoying this morning -- maybe the hard water was helping to weigh them down? I will see how long it takes them to go back to normal.

Gothic- I'm in the US, so I can't give product recommendations, but lots of shampoos can work as clarifying shampoos. This post (http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2016/07/shampoos-which-remove-product-build-up.html) has a nice overview of what to look for.
Thanks, I'll check the link out :)

Rebeccalaurenxx
November 2nd, 2016, 04:10 PM
Does anyone else find themselves needing to clarify every 1-2 weeks? I feel like thats so much, but after about 5 co-washes my ends feel dry and stiff again, I see breakage again and get tangled. Usually I take my medicated shampoo at that point and end up only using my clarifying shampoo maybe once a month, but like, harsh shampoo two-three times a month feels like so much but maybe thats what my hair needs...

lapushka
November 3rd, 2016, 04:45 PM
Does anyone else find themselves needing to clarify every 1-2 weeks? I feel like thats so much, but after about 5 co-washes my ends feel dry and stiff again, I see breakage again and get tangled. Usually I take my medicated shampoo at that point and end up only using my clarifying shampoo maybe once a month, but like, harsh shampoo two-three times a month feels like so much but maybe thats what my hair needs...

I feel it's different for everyone. I wash with sulfates every week (weekly wash), and it gives me no negative side-effects. I quite like it, in fact. I wash with a "special" clarifying shampoo once every couple of months or so. The sulfates are usually enough, and in my teens, 20s and 30s I got through life just fine without clarifying! The sulfates were more than enough.

OhSuzi
November 4th, 2016, 05:10 AM
So I normallly I just wash with whatever shampoo & conditioner – I have. I’ll do a half arsed check over the ingredients trying to make sure it has nothing that ends in ‘cone or ‘ate. Trying to find one with out any ‘ates is impossible. So I end up just buying whatever sort of sounds like it healthy ish naturalish.
So just basic shampoo and condition – leaves me with clean hair for one day. I’d wash like every 2 – 3 days, but apart from day one my hair would look and feel like a greasy tangly nightmare. In between that I’d have to wash with just water just to style it other wise it sticks up has no parting and looks cray cray – it’s only pixie/bob length.
Well I picked out new stuff the other day, Loreal Elvive Extraordinary Clay Shampoo & Conditioner (no cones) in a turquoise bottle. It seems to have done wonders, my hair is shinier and tangle free and it didn’t even go greasy after a long sweaty run.

Is it clarifying stuff? and am I ok to use it every time – or would that eventually wreck my hair some how – am I better off using it once a week / every two weeks. Sorry if this is highjacking a thread - it's about clarifying so this seemed like the right place.