PDA

View Full Version : Worried... (?) Hair dries extremely fast...

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 09:20 AM
I've washed my hair 25 minutes ago and it's completely dry already (air dried)...
I've put it in a cotton shirt turban for 5 minutes and then let it down for 20 minutes...
What does it mean? Very low porosity? Is this bad?
It leaves moisture out a bit too fast, don't you think?...
It's thick (iii now), very healthy (no splits), very shiny, doesn't break, BSL+1"...
And we still have winter in Germany so, it's not HOT... 18°C in my room.
Tell me what you think about this please...
I mean, it's comfortable for me. I wash and air dry and am ready to go 25 minutes later but... isn't it strange?

lapushka
March 18th, 2016, 09:49 AM
I've washed my hair 25 minutes ago and it's completely dry already (air dried)...
I've put it in a cotton shirt turban for 5 minutes and then let it down for 20 minutes...
What does it mean? Very low porosity? Is this bad?
It leaves moisture out a bit too fast, don't you think?...
It's thick (iii now), very healthy (no splits), very shiny, doesn't break, BSL+1"...
And we still have winter in Germany so, it's not HOT... 18°C in my room.
Tell me what you think about this please...
I mean, it's comfortable for me. I wash and air dry and am ready to go 25 minutes later but... isn't it strange?

I don't think it's bad at all. If that's your hair, then be happy, that's what I'd say. It takes 8H for my hair to fully dry without a blow dryer, and I'm iii as well. I put it in a t-shirt for 30-45 min. then 3H of air drying and 4 min. of diffusing. And presto, almost dry (bar the ends).

It is odd, though, but we're not all the same, and if your hair doesn't give you issues, then I'd not worry about it!

bunneh.
March 18th, 2016, 09:50 AM
I think you worry too much lol. It's probably because of the cotton shirt, because that stuff drinks water like there's no tomorrow. I wouldn't say that's a sign of something bad or anything.

Rowdy
March 18th, 2016, 09:52 AM
My hair dries much faster now that I have been treating it right for the past two years. Especially my natural growth that has never been dyed. It dries super fast compared to my damaged ends.

sarahthegemini
March 18th, 2016, 09:53 AM
Wow, I have very thin hair and it takes 2-3 hours to dry. Drying very fast can be a sign of highly porous hair which could be because it's damaged. Some people have naturally high porosity hair though. I think you're reading too much into it. I wouldn't worry.

LateRose
March 18th, 2016, 10:26 AM
As long as it's behaving I think you're fine. Back when my hair was really bad, it would never dry completely in the middle, even loose overnight. Now it dries really fast for thick hair...maybe 45 minutes? The T-shirt helps a lot. Sometimes I use two in succession, because one gets completely saturated very quickly!
One caution. Your ends should not dry first. When mine do, I rewet them and use LOC or just some leave in conditioner. Works like a charm!

languagenut
March 18th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Why should the ends not dry first? Mine always have; I thought that was normal.

lapushka
March 18th, 2016, 10:58 AM

Mine also dry last. They never used to, but now they do ever since I keep my hair well moisturized (+ LOC method).

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 11:09 AM
Wuzel do you fluff, shake or hang down your wet hair (or finger comb or in any method break the clumps of wet hair?)? I find that when I really break the wet clumps by hanging my head upside down and gently shaking it, my hair air dries very fast. If I do that several times during the drying process, I can get my hair 97,58% dry in 30 minutes.

If I, how ever, comb my wet hair against my head and let it dry like that, without fluffing at all, it will take at least 2 hours.

I thought that if you do some kind of fluffing then that could explain partially your quick drying time.

BTW I also use a cotton t-shirt as a hair towel, and after 5 minutes my roots already have started to look dry (though still feel damp), and my hair is dry enough that no water is dripping or can't even be squeezed out of it. I love t-shirt towels!

lillielil
March 18th, 2016, 11:31 AM
Wuzel do you fluff, shake or hang down your wet hair? I find that when I really break the wet clumps by hanging my head upside down and gently shaking it, my hair air dries very fast. If I do that several times during the drying process, I can get my hair 97,58% dry in 30 minutes.

If I, how ever, comb my wet hair against my head and let it dry like that, without fluffing at all, it will take at least 2 hours.

I thought that if you do some kind of fluffing then that could explain partially your quick drying time.

BTW I also use a cotton t-shirt as a hair towel, and after 5 minutes my roots already have started to look dry (though still feel damp), and my hair is dry enough that no water is dripping or can't even be squeezed out of it. I love t-shirt towels!

I really enjoy your super-precise percentage of dry hair.

My hair dries pretty fast too, as long as it is loose. Not 25 or 30 minutes fast, but under an hour for sure if I fluff. If I bun it while damp, on the other hand, it will just stay damp.

Anya15
March 18th, 2016, 11:32 AM
I have a friend, who has hip length, straight 1a/1b hair and it dries in 10 minutes. 15 tops. Mine takes at least 4-5 hours even after wrapping in a cotton T shirt for an hour, and mine BSL+1", like yours. I guess it's different for different people. I wouldn't worry :)

Anje
March 18th, 2016, 01:14 PM
I figure it's a porosity thing. My hair dries pretty fast, especially with some fluffing. It's probably 90% dry in an hour or so, with the underparts and middle drying last.

lapushka
March 18th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Found this on porosity.

What you expect to be low porosity, is in fact high porosity, Wusel.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/how-to-dry-low-and-high-porosity-hair/

Complexity
March 18th, 2016, 03:27 PM
As long as it still feels good and healthy, I'd say count your blessings -- My hair takes almost an entire day to dry!

I use a towel to (gently) dry it before letting it air dry (loose if I'm going to be up for a bit or in a braid if I'm about to head to bed) though. What is this t-shirt method you're all talking about? I feel like I'm missing out on some secret haha.

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 03:42 PM
What is this t-shirt method you're all talking about? I feel like I'm missing out on some secret haha.

It is very simply replasing terry cloth, etc, hair towels with a cotton t-shirt. Bonus points if it's big men's t and so old it's worn into a very soft texture.

They are light (if one wants to wear the towel turban for a longer while), absorbent, smooth and thus reduce frizz, take little room when traveling, and so on. :thumbsup:

Vanilla Mint
March 18th, 2016, 03:44 PM
This is all weird! My hair is naturally low-porosity, fine but thick, and shiny. It always dried very quickly when it was all virgin. The only time it hasn't is after I went nuts and did a lot of damage to it. I have been pleasantly surprised at how quickly it dries now after cutting off anything that was damaged (read: once platinum enough to be pink). Even though I still dye it a medium ginger, it dries quickly.

Also, now that I think about it, after I started doing an ACV rinse once a week, it has been EXTRA speedy at drying. I haven't noticed a detrimental effect on its condition, though, and quite the contrary! Hair is the happiest it's been in a couple years.

Does anyone else have low-porosity hair that dries quickly? I feel like this is so counter-intuitive.

Edit: I just read the link posted above on porosity. I guess my hair is actually high-porosity? My hair, even when damaged, absolutely stays afloat when I do the water strand test. Even overnight and days later. So confusing, lmao.

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I don't think Wusel has high-porosity hair, based on what she has told us (shiny, slippery, healthy, virgin...).

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 03:52 PM
I don't think Wusel has high-porosity hair, based on what she has told us (shiny, slippery, healthy, virgin...).

Thank you very much for so many answers and suggestions. I was rehearsing and songwriting the last couple of hours so I couldnt answer. Yes, Arctic. My hair is extremely healthy, virgin since I'm born and very shiny. And the tests I did with it showed that it's low porosity... IF they are right and reliable... I don't know.
But I'm wondering why it gets rid of all the moisture so fast...

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2016, 03:54 PM
If your hair is healthy, as you say, then you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy the blessing of quick drying hair, I say ;) Mine can easily take 6-8 hours unless I blow dry it.

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 03:59 PM
6-8 hours... Wow... It's really long...

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2016, 04:04 PM
6-8 hours... Wow... It's really long...

Yes:( Don't know if that's a good thing or not but it's surely annoying.) And if I bun it damp it doesn't dry at all.

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 04:10 PM
When I put it in a bun it takes about an hour to dry.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 18th, 2016, 04:12 PM
When I put it in a bun it takes about an hour to dry.

Count your blessings ;)

Anje
March 18th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Found this on porosity.

What you expect to be low porosity, is in fact high porosity, Wusel.

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curly-hair-care-methods/how-to-dry-low-and-high-porosity-hair/

I doubt that, given her hair health and shine. It seems more likely to me that low porosity hair doesn't get wet all the way through very readily. It isn't very absorbent by its nature, and a quick wash just doesn't saturate it very effectively. You don't need to dry out the hair fibers then, just the spaces between them. Yes, high porosity hair also dries quickly, because the hair releases moisture readily.

Horrorpops
March 19th, 2016, 02:03 AM
Wusel something to add is my hair is thick but dries very quickly when I leave it down (especially when I am walking around or fussing with it). However if I braid or bun it it'll stay damp for days. I think having it down and moving around really speeds up the drying process - maybe you've been doing that and not realising?

Also wanted to add like PPs my super-bleached spaghetti hair held onto water for hours after a wash. It is so strange because I hear a lot of accounts about healthy hair drying slowly and damaged hair drying faster but for me it is definitely the opposite. :) no need to stress I am sure your hair is fine, it always looks so healthy and shiny!

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 02:21 AM
People the float test isn't trustworthy method of measuring porosity.

Unfortunately I can't point you another one that would be universally trustworthy. But, in my opinion, in addition to reading about how different porosity levels look and behave, the best DIY method might be this one (but I might be completely wrong, of course):

1. Take a strand of hair between your thumb and forefinger (clean, dry strand. Preferably without silicone, etc., coating, and preferably not washed with alkaline things like soap or BS just before test, i.e. preferably washed with something that is pH balanced so cuticles are closed like they normally/ideally are. Most shampoos are like this.)

2. Glide your fingers from TIP towards ROOT, in other words, against the grain of the cuticles. Do it many times (compare with gliding from ROOT to ENDS)

3. Pay attention how the hair feels (and sounds!), and how well/easily/without resistance your fingers move (from tips to roots compared to the other direction). If the hair feels rough against the grain, if it resists the gliding against the grain, it probably isn't low porosity.

The rougher the surface/cuticles feel, and the more difficult it is to glide your fingers (against the grain), the more porous hair is. There might be so much resistance, that the fingers just refuse to move against the grain (which I think is sign of higher porosity).

As for low-porosity hair, there isn't going to be practically ANY difference no matter if you move from tip to root or root to tip, that's how tight the cuticles are. Low-porosity hair can even make squeeky sound when gliding fingers against the grain.

4. Test many strands from different areas of the scalp.

Note that this test concentrates on how tight the cuticle layers are. Extremely tight cuticles = fingers gliding in both directions with same ease. Rougher cuticles = open, sticking out cuticles and surface uneveness will prevent easy gliding against the grain. Something in betwteen = normal porosity.

--> This test, in other words, does not really measure the very thing that determines porosity: the ability of absorbing, holding and retaining water.

--> The theory behind this test is, however, that the super compact cuticle (glides easily in both directions) would correlate with moisture not getting into hair shafts easily and so on (low porosity), while the very rough and very resisiting against the grain gliding would correlate with hair that absorbs water readily (often too much), but isn't able to hold it in (high porosity). Normal porosity will show low levels of slight resistance without roughness (by roughness I don't mean kinking, or even wiryness).

Porosity can differ on one strand of hair too. For example very long hair is likely to be more porous at the ends (more resistance), and on the lower side of porosity near the roots (glides easily).

If hair is damaged, it's very likely to be high porosity, and virgin, healthy hair, especially near the roots, is more likely to be on the lower side of porosity. I think, but am not sure (this differ from one article to another) that some hair types might naturally be on the higher porosity side of things even when they are healthy/undamaged, but I doubt they would reach the kind of high porosity as damaged hair has. They are probably more on the normal to high, and not extreme high level (if porosity is seen like a continuum, like I think it should be seen).

And it's good to remember that NORMAL porosity is the most common porosity type. It often feels that at hair forums people are very drawn to the extremes while ignoring the most common group (everybody wants to be low porosity, and it seems to be judged more valuable than other types). This is perhaps affected by the fact, that most articles seem to be written about either low or high porosity, while there is little said about medium porosity. (And the floating test continues to circulate producing unreliable data, which is leaning towards low porosity.)

So if you hesitate between porosity groups, it's very likely you are normal porosity type. There is nothing wrong with normal, or even normal to high porosity if your hair is healthy, you are not having problems, and you have found a routine/products that work for you.

Hairkay
March 19th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Mine dries fast, even in winter as long as it is put into a number of plaits/braids to dry. I do use a t-shirt for a few minutes but some summer days or when I'm away from home I just let it drip dry. If I left it on one plait/braid or a bun it will take hours or even all day to dry in autumn and winter.

LateRose
March 19th, 2016, 09:13 AM

I think it *is* fairly normal for the ends to dry first, it is just something I noticed changing as my hair got more and more damaged. When I was younger, my ends dried last. They often were wet for what seemed like a ridiculously long time after the rest of my hair dried fully.

When my hair was at its worst, my ends dried super fast. 10 minutes? I don't know since I never timed it. Suddenly there were split ends like crazy.

Now I am very careful, systematically snipping out all the splits, LOCing the ends every night, and washing once a week. My ends dry at the same time as my length. 3 months in, I am no longer seeing new splits.

Just my observations on my own hair!

MedusaWarrior
March 19th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Wow, excellent info Arctic.

3. Pay attention how the hair feels (and sounds!), and how well/easily/without resistance your fingers move (from tips to roots compared to the other direction). If the hair feels rough against the grain, if it resists the gliding against the grain, it probably isn't low porosity.

The rougher the surface/cuticles feel, and the more difficult it is to glide your fingers (against the grain), the more porous hair is. There might be so much resistance, that the fingers just refuse to move against the grain (which I think is sign of higher porosity).

As for low-porosity hair, there isn't going to be practically ANY difference no matter if you move from tip to root or root to tip, that's how tight the cuticles are. Low-porosity hair can even make squeeky sound when gliding fingers against the grain.

I've been meaning to ask about the squeaky thing. I've been wondering why my hair strands would only squeak going up towards my scalp. I thought it might've been because the strands were clean but it would still happen after over a week of not washing.

Wusel
March 19th, 2016, 05:03 PM
Wusel something to add is my hair is thick but dries very quickly when I leave it down (especially when I am walking around or fussing with it). However if I braid or bun it it'll stay damp for days. I think having it down and moving around really speeds up the drying process - maybe you've been doing that and not realising?

Also wanted to add like PPs my super-bleached spaghetti hair held onto water for hours after a wash. It is so strange because I hear a lot of accounts about healthy hair drying slowly and damaged hair drying faster but for me it is definitely the opposite. :) no need to stress I am sure your hair is fine, it always looks so healthy and shiny!

Thank you :)
Yes, I move (run) around all the time. I'm a full time working mother of a 9-year-old :D

Wusel
March 19th, 2016, 05:06 PM

Unfortunately I can't point you another one that would be universally trustworthy. But, in my opinion, in addition to reading about how different porosity levels look and behave, the best DIY method might be this one (but I might be completely wrong, of course):

1. Take a strand of hair between your thumb and forefinger (clean, dry strand. Preferably without silicone, etc., coating, and preferably not washed with alkaline things like soap or BS just before test, i.e. preferably washed with something that is pH balanced so cuticles are closed like they normally/ideally are. Most shampoos are like this.)

2. Glide your fingers from TIP towards ROOT, in other words, against the grain of the cuticles. Do it many times (compare with gliding from ROOT to ENDS)

Note that this test concentrates on how tight the cuticle layers are. Extremely tight cuticles = fingers gliding in both directions with same ease. Rougher cuticles = open, sticking out cuticles and surface uneveness will prevent easy gliding against the grain. Something in betwteen = normal porosity.

--> This test, in other words, does not really measure the very thing that determines porosity: the ability of absorbing, holding and retaining water.

--> The theory behind this test is, however, that the super compact cuticle (glides easily in both directions) would correlate with moisture not getting into hair shafts easily and so on (low porosity), while the very rough and very resisiting against the grain gliding would correlate with hair that absorbs water readily (often too much), but isn't able to hold it in (high porosity). Normal porosity will show low levels of slight resistance without roughness (by roughness I don't mean kinking, or even wiryness).

Porosity can differ on one strand of hair too. For example very long hair is likely to be more porous at the ends (more resistance), and on the lower side of porosity near the roots (glides easily).

If hair is damaged, it's very likely to be high porosity, and virgin, healthy hair, especially near the roots, is more likely to be on the lower side of porosity. I think, but am not sure (this differ from one article to another) that some hair types might naturally be on the higher porosity side of things even when they are healthy/undamaged, but I doubt they would reach the kind of high porosity as damaged hair has. They are probably more on the normal to high, and not extreme high level (if porosity is seen like a continuum, like I think it should be seen).

And it's good to remember that NORMAL porosity is the most common porosity type. It often feels that at hair forums people are very drawn to the extremes while ignoring the most common group (everybody wants to be low porosity, and it seems to be judged more valuable than other types). This is perhaps affected by the fact, that most articles seem to be written about either low or high porosity, while there is little said about medium porosity. (And the floating test continues to circulate producing unreliable data, which is leaning towards low porosity.)

So if you hesitate between porosity groups, it's very likely you are normal porosity type. There is nothing wrong with normal, or even normal to high porosity if your hair is healthy, you are not having problems, and you have found a routine/products that work for you.

Thank you, Arctic. :)
I did the test and it glides exactly the same in both directions. I've tried it on different hairs.

Horrorpops
March 19th, 2016, 07:16 PM
Thank you :)
Yes, I move (run) around all the time. I'm a full time working mother of a 9-year-old :D

Hahaha that would definitely keep you on your toes!! :o That could also be the culprit if I sit quietly (say on my laptop) my hair dries so much slower than if I am cleaning or doing things around the house. :)

CurlyCap
March 19th, 2016, 10:50 PM
OP, remember that the ends of any spectrum are just that: Outliers.

Extremely porous hair dries quickly because while it absorbs water quickly, it also releases water quickly.

Extremely nonporous hair dries quickly because the water never manages to enter the hair shaft. It is only on the surface, and therefore it is easier for it to evaporate.

Most people are somewhere closer to the middle, with their hair absorbing some water and then having varying rates of letting go.

Nonporous hair, like all hair types, has pros and cons. Pro: Dries extremely quickly. Con: I can be very difficult for products to penetrate the hair shaft. Not so good if you want to use something like an over the counter dye.

I wouldn't worry about your hair drying quickly. If you are treating it well, it looks healthy, and it feels heathy...it's probably healthy!

Crystawni
March 20th, 2016, 12:43 AM
Heh, my virgin, soft, shiny, (very) fine, hard to see/feel but is squeaky when fingers slide against the grain, hair has its own ideas. The white hair dries almost instantly regardless of how it's handled--seriously, it's dry as soon as the towel leaves it, and the darker hair can take hours, even days if I allow my hair to remain clumped/bunned/braided. :shrug:

e.g.

https://i.imgur.com/s5DrBuN.jpg
(pic. shared yonks ago in the Salt & Pepper thread)

My pigmented hair's dripping wet, and the whites... dry as.

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 02:39 AM
Heh, my virgin, soft, shiny, (very) fine, hard to see/feel but is squeaky when fingers slide against the grain, hair has its own ideas. The white hair dries almost instantly regardless of how it's handled--seriously, it's dry as soon as the towel leaves it, and the darker hair can take hours, even days if I allow my hair to remain clumped/bunned/braided. :shrug:

e.g.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/o722/Weighting/Just%20Hair/20140528_104928smaller_zps38783cd8.jpg
(pic. shared yonks ago in the Salt & Pepper thread)

My pigmented hair's dripping wet, and the whites... dry as.

This is really interesting. So, when hair gets grey it changes its porosity...?

Crystawni
March 20th, 2016, 02:52 AM
Apart from how it dries, all my hair acts the same way, porosity-wise. So... I'm really no help! :p

lapushka
March 20th, 2016, 04:40 AM
This is really interesting. So, when hair gets grey it changes its porosity...?

I don't know if that is the case, or even if there's knowledge on that.

Wusel
March 20th, 2016, 05:04 AM
I don't know if that is the case, or even if there's knowledge on that.

I :google: and :google: ... :) I hope I find something about this :)

meteor
March 20th, 2016, 05:27 PM

I agree. :agree: I don't see how the float test can work. It ignores issues that would skew results massively: surface tension of water, specific gravity of water and hair being similar, coating on hair (there is normally at least some oil or some product, and that would be enough to change the result).

You know, I used to use this test, too, and I still think it kind of works, but I have some doubts now about what exactly it demonstrates: porosity or (maybe) hair strand thickness (fineness-coarseness) or maybe kinks in texture or maybe a combination of these categories? :hmm:
The reason I started having doubts is because I have lots of really thick and really fine hair strands, too. As luck would have it, my finer strands (on canopy) have been highlighted at the ends, so I know that they are porous. Yet I feel zero resistance if I run my fingers up or down - I can never feel any difference in direction - it's perfectly smooth.
But my thick/coarse strands are definitely low-porosity (they take ages to try and absorb any conditioner, they didn't take dye, etc). So these low-porosity and "glassy" strands that are completely virgin do feel a bit different if I run my fingers up (against the grain) or down the hair shaft. :?: I wonder if it's because those strands are thick, so the cuticles (and the whole structure) are bigger and more substantial to the touch, compared to fine strands where the cuticle "shindle" detail would go unnoticed just because it's so much smaller? :hmm:

By the way, Wendy from Science-y Hair Blog wrote pretty good posts on how to measure porosity and yes, there isn't much out there we can do (and gas sorption seems to be the best method for measuring porosity - (True Porosity Measurement of Hair: A New Way to Study Hair Damage Mechanisms: http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc2008/cc059n04/p00303-p00315.pdf) :
How to measure (sort of): http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2012/06/hair-porosity-how-to-measure-sort-of.html
Porosity overview: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2011/09/porosity-in-hair.html
The "float test": http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/12/testing-float-test-for-hair-porosity.html

Judging by what Wusel told us about the history and description of her hair (BSL+, completely virgin, shiny, slippery, etc...), I would imagine, it should be low-porosity or (possibly) medium-porosity.

I think a lot of factors can be responsible for speeding up drying times: moving around, central heating, combing hair as it dries, etc...

lapushka
March 20th, 2016, 06:01 PM
There are people with totally virgin hair who do have high porosity. It exists.

Arctic
March 21st, 2016, 01:53 AM
You know, I used to use this test, too, and I still think it kind of works, but I have some doubts now about what exactly it demonstrates: porosity or (maybe) hair strand thickness (fineness-coarseness) or maybe kinks in texture or maybe a combination of these categories?

The reason I started having doubts is because I have lots of really thick and really fine hair strands, too. As luck would have it, my finer strands (on canopy) have been highlighted at the ends, so I know that they are porous. Yet I feel zero resistance if I run my fingers up or down - I can never feel any difference in direction - it's perfectly smooth.

But my thick/coarse strands are definitely low-porosity (they take ages to try and absorb any conditioner, they didn't take dye, etc). So these low-porosity and "glassy" strands that are completely virgin do feel a bit different if I run my fingers up (against the grain) or down the hair shaft. I wonder if it's because those strands are thick, so the cuticles (and the whole structure) are bigger and more substantial to the touch, compared to fine strands where the cuticle "shindle" detail would go unnoticed just because it's so much smaller?

Yes, like I said, this or any other DIY test I am aware of isn't universal or foolproof. And like I said, it's best to read about how specific porosities look and behave. Maybe do this (are there other semi-ok tests too?) as a supplement.

But even reading isn't always enough.

I agree coarse and fine hairs have different "finger feel" all and all. One has much more structure than the other. As for kinking, well person who has kinks or wiryness will need to take that into account, and don't count kinking as cuticle roughness.

That's interesting about your damaged hairs still feelins as smooth when running your fingers from tips to roots as in other direction. I wonder how common that is?

I again need to say that I don't really know this, but I too have come to believe this is the case. Some sites/internet people say no, high porosity is always = damaged, and other sites/internet people say it's possible to have healthy, virgin, porous hair.

I think it might be helpful to differentiate the damaged-overly-porous and natural-higher-porosity hair. It would be interesting to see a microscope photo of healthy, naturally, higher porosity hair's cuticles (we've all probably seen photos of damaged hair's structure - or lack of - and I am positive the two will look very different from each other).

Wusel
March 21st, 2016, 02:25 AM
Thank you very much for the answers :) :flower: :flower: :flower:
I was googling a lot and I've found a Hair Institute in Hannover which offers a hair analysis which tells you your hair structure and the condition of your scalp so you know how to take care of your scalp and hair and which kinds of products and ingredients to use.
The only downside is that it's a bit expensive....
But I'd really like to do this. Maybe one day I can save the money... when my hair is longer... Otherwise it's somehow too often trial and error when you don't know exactly...
What my stomach tells me now, but I still can be wrong, is that I'm low porosity because I always had the feeling that nothing penetrates my hair. Conditioners especially. Or masks. When I wash them out in most cases my hair looks exactly the same as it did before. Which is very annoying, of course. I often think, what the hell is the purpose of all the smeary stuff I put on my head if there's no effect. :D :D :D

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 04:22 AM
What my stomach tells me now, but I still can be wrong, is that I'm low porosity because I always had the feeling that nothing penetrates my hair. Conditioners especially. Or masks. When I wash them out in most cases my hair looks exactly the same as it did before. Which is very annoying, of course. I often think, what the hell is the purpose of all the smeary stuff I put on my head if there's no effect. :D :D :D

The truth of the matter? You hardly need conditioner to detangle above APL/BSL. You just don't. It's like you could be smearing it on there, like you said, and... what for. But I doubt that has to do with porosity. It's been that way for me as well, and I have medium porosity. Once my hair grew past BSL however, it turned into something else entirely. Like a wild beast that needed taming, my hair only wanted to detangle on silicone-filled conditioners.

Wusel
March 21st, 2016, 04:27 AM
The truth of the matter? You hardly need conditioner to detangle above APL/BSL. You just don't. It's like you could be smearing it on there, like you said, and... what for. But I doubt that has to do with porosity. It's been that way for me as well, and I have medium porosity. Once my hair grew past BSL however, it turned into something else entirely. Like a wild beast that needed taming, my hair only wanted to detangle on silicone-filled conditioners.

OMG... I just caught myself saying to my hair: "You are good hair... I educate you the best I can so you behave when you're grown up. You're a special education teacher's hair. There's NO WAY you become a wild beast" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D :D :D :D

lapushka
March 21st, 2016, 05:48 AM
OMG... I just caught myself saying to my hair: "You are good hair... I educate you the best I can so you behave when you're grown up. You're a special education teacher's hair. There's NO WAY you become a wild beast" :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :D :D :D :D

Haha, let's hope not. ;)

meteor
March 21st, 2016, 09:13 AM
Thanks a bunch, Arctic! :D And I totally agree. :agree:

I again need to say that I don't really know this, but I too have come to believe this is the case. Some sites/internet people say no, high porosity is always = damaged, and other sites/internet people say it's possible to have healthy, virgin, porous hair.

I think it might be helpful to differentiate the damaged-overly-porous and natural-higher-porosity hair. It would be interesting to see a microscope photo of healthy, naturally, higher porosity hair's cuticles (we've all probably seen photos of damaged hair's structure - or lack of - and I am positive the two will look very different from each other).

That's exactly my thinking. :agree: Also, if a person already has what they call "porous" hair growing from the roots, then:

1) I wonder about the very definition of porosity (what kinds of cavities in # and size qualify as those of "high-porosity" hair, and what kinds are still considered normal for natural hair structure). Without clear measurement, it stays pretty subjective.

2) That person's ends (if the hair is long) will still be more porous than roots anyway (due to exposure to UV rays, wear & tear, let alone if any chemical or heat treatments were used on it). So within that person's subjective experience, the ends will still be more porous (relative to roots), or at least just as porous (if the cuticle managed to be intact), but probably not less porous (unless the very structure of the hair changed somehow? maybe with health issues/medication? I don't know)...

Thank you very much for the answers :) :flower: :flower: :flower:
I was googling a lot and I've found a Hair Institute in Hannover which offers a hair analysis which tells you your hair structure and the condition of your scalp so you know how to take care of your scalp and hair and which kinds of products and ingredients to use.
The only downside is that it's a bit expensive....
But I'd really like to do this. Maybe one day I can save the money... when my hair is longer... Otherwise it's somehow too often trial and error when you don't know exactly...

Wusel, just FIY, there are a few other hair analysis services out there, that may be less expensive, e.g.:
- Komaza (http://www.komazahaircare.com/sample-report) or
- Goosefootprints on Etsy (by Wendy of Science-y Hair Blog) (full analysis: https://www.etsy.com/listing/158218594/hair-analysis-physical-properties-of or mini analysis: https://www.etsy.com/listing/165203245/mini-hair-physical-analysis?ref=listing-shop-header-1)

Hair Analysis: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=120738

It looks like there are multiple services on this, so it might be worth shopping around and reading reviews before making a decision, maybe. :flower: