PDA

View Full Version : Rotating Conditioners

Daydreamer.
March 18th, 2016, 05:48 AM
Does rotating moisturizing conditioner and protein conditioner every wash help with the moisture/protein balance? Does anyone rotate conditioners?

luxurioushair
March 18th, 2016, 06:17 AM
I just like to try new conditioners or new scents in the same conditioner series, so I am always changing conditioners. I have no idea about moisture/protein balance. I'm not interested in making hair a complicated science for myself.

Carolyn
March 18th, 2016, 08:25 AM
I've rotated my products every wash for years and years. My hair is a lank, greasy mess if I don't. I've done a couple of experiments along the way to test this. After 3 consecutive washes with the same products my hair looks like I poured a bottle of olive oil over my head. I had to clarify and go back to rotating products. Most of the time I use moisturizing products. I'll use a protein conditioner once or twice a month. I've learned that too much protein can lead to my hair splitting a ways up the hair shaft. I wash about 3 times a week. If I am away from home and want to look nice all the time I'll wash every day or every other day. I think this gives me a pretty good moisture versus protein balance.

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2016, 12:25 PM
I rotate conditioners....no idea either about the chemistry :wink:
Mostly it depends on my needs for the day....heavier if I chelate/clarify....use my silver shampoo....or am just moisturizing.

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 12:45 PM
It's best to learn to read your hair, and use the kind of products it needs.

I do rotate my conditioners, but those are all no-protein conditioners, my hair doesn't do well with protein, and I already get some from my shampoos.

lapushka
March 18th, 2016, 12:50 PM
I sometimes finish the bottles first, and sometimes I rotate my first conditioner. My second one is always the HE Hello Hydration.

tigereye
March 18th, 2016, 02:29 PM
I rotate conditioners, but I don't use protein. My hair freaks out if I add protein to it.

Complexity
March 18th, 2016, 02:59 PM
I usually just buy whatever's on sale when I need it and use that until I run out. Then repeat the process.

I really should start educating myself on what ingredients actually mean though; I couldn't tell you whether I'm using moisture or protein :shrug:

CoconutBun
March 18th, 2016, 03:07 PM
I've recently discovered that rotating conditioners, and ingredients, works best for my hair. Most of my hair and scalp complaints were solved by switching up my products. I've been using sulfates and cones for a month or so and my hair seems a lot happier surprisingly!

The only protein I can find in my old routine is in my Frizz-Ease serum, so my experience isn't quite what you're asking. I was using this after washing with Tresemme Naturals shampoo and conditioner. Since February I've been using Aussie Miracle Moist products and Tresemme heat protectant when blow drying (all super coney). My hair has felt significantly more moisturised and soft since switching up my routine despite all the blow frying, although that may be due to my hair liking cones rather than cutting out protein. I haven't yet figured out if that's the case or not!

turtlelover
March 18th, 2016, 10:18 PM
I sometimes finish the bottles first, and sometimes I rotate my first conditioner. My second one is always the HE Hello Hydration.

I love that stuff, but I can't seem to use it more than every other time, or it weighs down my hair. I think it is a pretty good cheaper conditioner for detangling purposes, and if I use something w/out cones every other time it seems to keep it from building up and weighing down my hair as much.