PDA

View Full Version : low-budget longhair

languagenut
March 16th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Here I would like to gather suggestions on how to take care of your hair without breaking the bank. I'm sure I'm not the only one who deals with tight finances, so I thought this could be useful to others as well as myself. Sorry if there is already a thread like this.

One point of particular interest to me is the matter of brushes and combs. Of course, I could buy a plastic brush at Dollar Tree, but would it ruin my hair? What would you recommend if you only have five dollars? How about the $10 and $15 ranges?

My primary contribution to this topic is my discovery of how to make incredibly inexpensive hairsticks out of dowels. You just sharpen it in a pencil sharpener, sand it down real well, and rub it with coconut oil (flaxseed oil works as well), and they work excellently! At three dollars for a whole package, that makes for a very low price per each. I decorated most of mine with beaded tops, by making a hole in the end with a push pin, putting some beads on a sewing pin ($1 for a pack of 250 at Walmart), and gluing it in with Super Glue (I use the gel kind; I think it costs a little more, but its not flowing everywhere makes it worth it). It has been holding great ever since, and the only potentially expensive part is the beads, but those can often be found at thrift stores and yard sales.

Any other ideas or experiences about low-budget longhairing? :D All input is welcome, even seemingly obvious "everybody-knows-that" stuff!

lithostoic
March 16th, 2016, 07:04 PM
What a cool idea for hair sticks!

Sarahlabyrinth
March 16th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Diluting shampoos? It makes a bottle last for ages.

AJNinami
March 16th, 2016, 07:20 PM
I have only ever had plastic brushes. That is, until I joined LHC. I have not used a single brush or comb in my hair for over 3 months now. I strictly finger detangle. It has saved my hair and it was completely free!

I know there is a trick for making hair-safe ties out of pantyhose and ribbon.

You can make perfect-sized, custom pins by bending stiff wire and putting a dot of nail polish on the tips.

The only real investment I've made in my hair would be a silk pillowcase, and pretty hair toys. (But, if you go buy silk or satin you can make your own for much cheaper!)

chen bao jun
March 16th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I would go to Walmart and look in the 'ethnic' hair care section. they will have natural boar bristle brushes for under $10.

I also made hairsticks out of dowels (chopsticks can be a bit flimsy for me); you can find other ideas on making your own hairtoys in the crafts secton and in the conventional hair products there are threads on making beaded 8's and decorating fakkare hair clips.

You can make many recipes for your hair, quite cheaply from the recipes section here. I live by Kimberlily's defrizz spray and other recipes there.

Anje
March 16th, 2016, 07:29 PM
I've got hair that's happy on cheap stuff, so diluted Suave Naturals shampoo and then either their conditioner or something like Herbal Essences Hello Hydration is 90% of my routine. I often don't fully rinse the HH out, which gives me extra slip.

Dollar Tree is definitely the place to look for fabric hair ties.

Sharpened colored pencils are adorable hairsticks and less splintery than bamboo takeout chopsticks. If you're going to do chopsticks, go hunting for the ones you can wash and reuse at an international grocery, then cut them down and sharpen. I like using a nail file and nail buffer to get them really smooth.

Combs and brushes... If you like a brush, Tangle Teezers run about $10 at Sally Beauty. The Body Shop has a good wood detangling comb for about $7, but I used mine on wet hair until they got rough. I'm recently hooked on a wide tooth comb that I got from Eternally in Amber on Etsy; it's plastic and super smooth. It's not going to entirely replace my Tangle Teezer, but I like it.

Edit: Stay On Satin sleep bonnets in the ethnic haircare at Walmart are nice. I hate satin pillowcases, so bonnets are my thing.

Another edit: 2 good threads for you:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130102
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=93328

Obsidian
March 16th, 2016, 08:40 PM
I use dowels or hardwood chopsticks from ebay to make sticks, heck I even brought home disposable chop sticks from a restaurant and sanded them down for sticks.

I use Vidal Sassoon shampoo and con for around $5 a bottle. My hair oil is usually lou ann's peanut oil, its around $3 at wal mart. My most expensive product is a 4 oz bottle of argan oil but it was a gift, I like it well enough I will buy more when the time comes.
I buy beads/wires when they are on sale and use coupons too, I make beaded eights with them that probably only cost around $3-$4 each in supplies.

My satin pillow cases are from walmart, paid under $4 each. To date, the most I've spend on a single hair item was a ficcare knockoff for $15 and a sheep horn comb for $13. I found a TT knockoff at the dollar store, its been great and my shower comb for detangling is also from the $$ store. I use henna too buts is quite cheap and last me a long time. $15 worth will most likely last a year.

Robot Ninja
March 16th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Pantyhose hair ties: Just cut horizontal strips from the good leg of pantyhose that has a run in it. I make mine about 2" wide but I use nylon tights rather than sheer pantyhose; if you're using sheer pantyhose you might want to go wider. Or if you want smaller hair ties, buy girls sized tights from the dollar store.

DPKN mini-forks/big hair pins: Get some double-pointed knitting needles. 2.5-3mm works well. Bend them in half around a doorknob or something similar. If you want to add a head curve, bend them gently on the edge of a bathtub or countertop or some other curved surface. Paint with nail polish (dabbing it on in thin layers with a makeup sponge lets you get a nice even coat without glopping or streakiness, and also works with old gloopy nail polish, plus gives the surface a bit of texture so it stays in better, although you can smooth it down very easily with a nail buffer), glue things to them if you want to make them pretty.

My shower comb was less than five bucks at Sally's. I sanded down the seams and it's all I ever use to detangle.

andrea1982
March 16th, 2016, 09:22 PM
Also, stay with your natural color, and learn how to trim your own hair. Long hair is generally cheaper than main stream hair care if you want it to be.

Loktra
March 16th, 2016, 10:00 PM
There's a $4 bamboo comb on amazon. I don't own it myself, but I have owned other inexpensive bamboo and wood combs. Some I've had to sand a little, but most feel decent after a good oiling. A word of warning: using wood combs wet is always risky (I oil mine like crazy and haven't had too many problems yet), but those that are made of multiple pieces of wood glued together will eventually come apart if you get them wet.
I second big plastic shower combs, sanded if needed.
Others have mentioned Eternally in Amber. Definitely more in the $10-15 range, plus shipping, but some of the cheapest seamless-by-nature water-safe combs out there. Cricket sells some of their combs on Amazon as "seamless" but I don't know how true that is, some are inexpensive though.
I love Bass wood-bristle brushes. I paid $12 at a local health food store for mine, about the same price for the same model on Amazon. Worth the $ in my mind, if you really love to brush.
My goody bbb cost me $8ish. Their newer BBB model I see in stores is more like $9-10 where I am. I'm not a bbb devotee, nor have I tried any other, so I can't speak to comparative quality. The few bristles I pulled out of mine were authentic.
I love pantyhose hair ties!
I also second diluting inexpensive shampoo. Suave naturals and VO5 being my favorites. They seem pretty concentrated and dilute really well. I also dilute my conditioner, it seems to distribute it through the hair better, so I don't actually use as much out of the bottle. Between that and really getting serious about stretching washes, I save a lot on those now. I use cheap oils (coconut, EVOO, avacado, mineral) on my hair for different purposes. I don't really like pure aloe gel or flax gel, I tend to use "Fantasia High Potency IC Hair Polisher Styling Gel" on my wet/damp hair to keep it tamed and help heatless curls/bun waves. Not too pricey, since I don't use much at once (or often).

I use cheap 100% cotton mens t-shirts as hair towels. I just put my head through the hole like I'm going to put it on, then pull it up and over, so the neckline is around my head and all my hair is in the shirt. Then I do it up like a turbie twist. Less damaging than a towel, and cheaper than dedicated products. If your hair is really long, you can sew the bottom of the shirt shut to keep all your hair in.

I've spent a lot more than DH would find reasonable on combs/brushes, but I also know I tend to spend 1/3 (or less) what some LHC members spend. To each their own. I tend to look at tools/toys as investments in my hair. But I also know that's REALLY easy to say when funds aren't too tight.

morrigan*
March 17th, 2016, 12:52 AM
Don't use a lot of products, usually there is no need to use palm full of shampoo and conditioner. You can try to use less and less and see what works.

bunneh.
March 17th, 2016, 02:15 AM
I use diluted shampoo (cleans scalp better and uses less product), two cheaper conditioners and olive oil, I make hair toys out of wood we have lying around and I detangle with a wide tooth comb (plastic, I plan on making my own this year). I'm also considering buying cheap pantyhose in kids section to make hair ties out of.

lapushka
March 17th, 2016, 06:55 AM
One point of particular interest to me is the matter of brushes and combs. Of course, I could buy a plastic brush at Dollar Tree, but would it ruin my hair? What would you recommend if you only have five dollars? How about the $10 and $15 ranges?

My Hairsense "volume" red/orange "bone" comb is about $12 and is amazing and in shape not unlike the famous Madora comb. I recommend it to everyone.

Furthermore, I buy things when they're on sale or the cheapest I can find, in bulk preferably, especially my HG products, and I stock up. I don't have things that are too natural so they don't go bad for *ages*. In the beginning it can be hard to find what works, and if you are in the experimenting stage, finish up your bottles. Don't finish something half and toss it. Just *use* it. Your hair is not going to suffer that much, unless you are having an allergic reaction to some product or such.

Agnes Hannah
March 17th, 2016, 08:31 AM
pencil sized twigs make good hairsticks, filed smooth, shaped and polished. Collected from a walk makes it special too. Scalp only washes uses less poo. I have also saved my shed hairs in a collector and made a hair donut ring with it, but this may gross some people out which is ok. I handmade my silk pillowcase and sleep cap too. My comb I bought from Kent, it was cheaper than some out there and seamless. I have bbbs but very rarely use them

lapushka
March 17th, 2016, 08:41 AM
Also, get your conditioners / shampoos at Aldi, or Lidl, or discount stores like Action (in Belgium & The Netherlands) before even going to a Kruidvat. They have excellent things!

Dommydomdom
March 17th, 2016, 09:04 AM
For anyone who is price-conscious as well as eco-conscious you really can't beat water only washing (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=3412) (I've been doing this for almost a year) or no washing/sebum only (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=144) hair care :)

Then for those of you who are looking for more conventional hair products (anything from hair dye to brushes/combs to shampoos and conditioners and so much more) you can look for beauty wholesalers or factory shops. They generally stock items for professionals in the industry, like make-up artists, hairdressers, and estheticians. I recently bought my bamboo wide toothed comb (that sells for $11.30 on amazon) from one in my city and it cost me the equivalent of $3 (working in a different currency and import duties :))

Cg
March 17th, 2016, 09:05 AM
WO. No products of any kind, if you can manage it. I do coconut-oil my tips on rare occasions, but no hair product costs.

I also use dowels and sanded twigs for sticks. When nail polish is on sale or otherwise really cheap, I use some to paint the dowels. You can really get creative for very little money.

Satin sleep bonnets are cheap at Wal-Mart. You can also get inexpensive jaw clips to decorate yourself.

As for brushes and combs, I would say save your money for however long it takes to invest in really good equipment (which does go on sale sometimes). High quality stuff will last a very long time and will treat your hair gently.

missrandie
March 17th, 2016, 09:38 AM
I'm in the camp of "save up for certain quality items then buy them with coupons or on sale" camp.

That being said, I cowash with Suave, and sometimes Mane n Tail. The Mane n Tail conditioner was between 5 and 6 bucks for 32 oz, and the jsuave was just under $2 for the same amount.

The Eternally in Amber comb set I got was her travel set of a wide tooth comb and a fine tooth comb.. She was having a sale.

I was able to get my Widu brush for about half off from an eBay seller, thanks to the "or best offer" section. The Widu has replacement bristles in case some break.

If I'm perfectly honest, those are all I really needed. The Tangle Teezer is nice though.

Other things, you have already learned, can be made by hand for free or rather cheaply. I've seen some of your hair fork and stick work.

humble_knight
March 17th, 2016, 09:45 AM
My top tip is for those who like Ketoconazole shampoo for managing scalp issues. Nizoral is good, and well-known, but there are alternatives out there. There's no sense in just paying for the brand.

lapushka
March 17th, 2016, 09:55 AM
My top tip is for those who like Ketoconazole shampoo for managing scalp issues. Nizoral is good, and well-known, but there are alternatives out there. There's no sense in just paying for the brand.

Not in my country there isn't. We pay about 11 euro a bottle (100ml), from a pharmacy. I'm really not getting it online or anywhere else, thankyouverymuch! Is that even trustworthy. I'm not going to gamble with that!

Caraid♫
March 17th, 2016, 09:58 AM
seconding the bodyshop comb- it's great and under 10 dollars!

I used to go through tons of conditioner which got expensive, but I discovered if I used a diluted vinegar rinse (super cheap!) as conditioner, I can get away with on conditioning the very fragile tips using very little conditioner (well right now I don't use conditioner at all because I cut my hair pretty short and therefore don't deal with fragile ends at the moment.) Vinegar rinses= cheap and less buildup!

Non name-brand shampoos are several dollars cheaper and do the job just as well I find- my favorite brand is dove mostly just for the smell, but I realized that's silly and starting using whatever's cheapest and my hair of course looks exactly the same! I havn't tried diluting shampoo like many people are suggesting, I'll have to give that a whirl!

the #1 saving tip for me is cutting my own hair, always! I don't know about where you live, but if I were to go to a salon, I'm sure it would cost upwards of 50$! So I really think you can save 100s and 100s by just cutting your own hair

Sometimes I think healthy haircare can be the cheapest of all- less styling product, no salon bleaching appointments, etc. Keeping it simple can be great! The more products you deal with, the easier it is to get buildup.

As for hairtoys, the only thing to do is avoid the hairtoy addiction like the plague, because dont I know how expensive that can get! Maybe to invest in one functional, sturdy, reasonable priced fork or pair of sticks, and to treat it as your one go to everyday hair tool, rather than the start of an out of control collection (referencing my own hoarding tendencies hahaha)
Or not! like you mentioned, lots of easy ways to find sticks that work as hairsticks! And clawclips are awesome and inexpensive!

Good luck!

hennι
March 17th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Water only washing. All you need is .... water. Well, and a boar bristle brush, your own fingers form scalp massage and perhaps a detangling comb.

A little oil for ends during transition. And perhaps some apple cider vinegar for ACV rinse here and there ...

And ... for a little bonus ... you get to have a very environment-free haircare routine that produces nearly no waste or pollution.

Nellon
March 17th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I find that making my own hairtoys is really a nice way to get creative and at the same time manage to have some nice bling without putting that much money into it. As others already have said :)
Then it also becomes a creative outlet! Yay! Gotta start doing that again...

Nellon
March 17th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Water only washing. All you need is .... water. Well, and a boar bristle brush, your own fingers form scalp massage and perhaps a detangling comb.

A little oil for ends during transition. And perhaps some apple cider vinegar for ACV rinse here and there ...

And ... for a little bonus ... you get to have a very environment-free haircare routine that produces nearly no waste or pollution.

Good tips right there.... I myself haven't tried WO, and I won't for the time being... But I think using very little, more natural schampoo and then using oil and vinegar would be another good option perhaps? I have to have a go at that :)

ETA: my friend has just started washing his hair with soft soap (sεpa) and he says it works really well!

Laura-Jane
March 17th, 2016, 12:17 PM
About brushes:
When I started out with No-poo in November 2015, I bought a cheap brush with bristles (I believe they were not even artificial) for about 3 € from a drug store. Okay, it was a small brush. Later on, I read about board-bristle brushes and ordered one online for 20 €. Unfortunately, that was before I read about the many downsides of board-bristle-brushes (flying hair etc.).
Now, I use the drugstore brush and another ones with bristles and "plastic pins" (whatever these are correctly called) and my "expensive" brush only rarely.

I believe in always starting cheap and simple. Spending money is always simple (if available...), but not always reasonable, and going into a new field of interest is mostly accompanied by a lot of tempting or even "necessary" purchases. Most of these will later on be revealed as failures (wrong product, wrong features, wrong priority/ priorities have changed).

I read on some forums and blogs about people starting out to grow their hair with buying: A lot of different soaps or shampoos to "test", a lot of hair decoration, flexies, whatnot.
Likely, they will find out that most of the soaps etc. won't be interesting to them after some months. Their taste in hair decorations will have changed. They will want a very specific shampoo with specific features.

So, it's better to start small and cheap and save for later, when we know exactly what we want and why and it will be worth saving (or having saved) for this.

I wash my hair with soap (okay, specially purchased, but this will probably last me the rest of the year), rye flour (cheap) and ACV (very cheap) and occasionally oil with coconut (which I had at home before I started the "hair journey") and castor oil (3 €), will probably also last at least half a year).
Probably, buying shampoo and conditioner regularly would have been at least as expensive, if not more expensive.

For soaps, shampoos etc. I find it a good idea to look for people who share their samples or purchases, to that everybody can "test" more samples. A bar of soap or a bottle of shampoo can easily be shared.

I would refrain from getting carried away with "trends", i.e. buying stuff that is far more expensive than you would usually spend, just because you read that others have bought similar items. I came accross people who bought brushes for more than 60-80-100+ €. At this point, I would never consider saving for a brush that expensive! I don't feel ashamed of my 3-€-brush, it works fine for me.

I have noticed it is a trend in internet communities to start a kind of (unintended) buying-competiton and then suddenly you find yourself wanting to buy or already buying stuff that you personally did not want originally, but only buy because everybody is excited about!
Yes, this has happened to me once or twice...

I have learned not to get carried or swept away with this kind of excitement. If I am tempted, I first step by "Miss Minimalist", and most times, this keeps me from buying unnecessary stuff, even stuff others with similar interests are excited about!:)

Best wishes from
Laura-Jane

meteor
March 17th, 2016, 07:06 PM
Sometimes I think healthy haircare can be the cheapest of all- less styling product, no salon bleaching appointments, etc. Keeping it simple can be great! The more products you deal with, the easier it is to get buildup.

^ I agree absolutely! :agree: In fact, generally speaking, the less one does to hair, the more luscious it gets naturally. Letting it grow and leaving it alone is perfect recipe: benign neglect really works and is as affordable as it gets! ;)

I love diluting shampoo and conditioner - they even work better for me this way, since it's easier to get it through thick, dense hair when the product is more watery.
Scalp-only washes save up not only on time massively, but also on product, since they take typically only about a teaspoon of shampoo and no conditioner.

For pillowcases/bonnets, no need to buy anything special: one can just use silky scarves and wrap the hair or the pillow with that.

Using socks for bun forms, pantyhose for hair ties, using bobby-pins or buttons on elastics for hair bungee-type hair ties... the list goes on and on...
Also, magazine curls, rag curls, sock bun curls, hair wraps make curling and straightening virtually free.

I also use cheap food grade oils from the cooking section and cheap silicone serums (both the expensive and the cheap serums tend to have the same ingredients anyway - one just needs to read the ingredients lists before buying).

Also, it helps to remember that as soon as new technology is developed (say, under the huge L'Oreal umbrella), it's not secretly stored, instead it's leveraged across the board and used by multiple (drugstore, salon, etc) brands under that same umbrella: e.g. the Filloxane "sol gel" technology in Garnier Fructis, Kerastase, Matrix, Vichy, etc (all under L'Oreal) (http://thebeautybrains.com/2015/04/do-loreal-products-really-thicken-hair/). The ingredients can be almost identical, it's only the marketing and distribution that are different and that's where the price differential comes in.
A couple short articles on salon vs. drugstore products and their ingredients:
(http://thebeautybrains.com/2009/06/are-salon-products-in-regular-stores-the-same-as-those-in-salons/
http://thebeautybrains.com/2013/11/the-beauty-brains-show-episode-03-are-salon-ingredients-higher-quality/)

So many *excellent* ideas on this thread! I'm definitely bookmarking it! :D

Guys, where do you get your dowels from? :D Are they only in specialty stores or online? Seems like a really great idea for sticks! :thumbsup:

languagenut
March 17th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I got my dowels from walmart.com , but you can often find them in-store, in the craft section with the acrylic paints and stuff.

ETA: You can find big long dowels in any size you can think of, at The Home Depot or Lowe's and probably any other home-improvement/handyman supply store, but I haven't compared the price.

mary*rose
March 17th, 2016, 10:16 PM
I second the WO method, or even the NW/SO method. Cheapest product you can get is from your own head :cool:

tigereye
March 18th, 2016, 01:01 AM
My denman Classic brush was about £6 last time I bought one, and ive only had two since mum got my first one as a young child. Even when I got my new one, the old me didn't damage my hair and it had been going strong at least 15 years.
My comb was a gift in a swap, but I believe it is from Quecraft. They also do pretty reasonably priced combs, though you do have shipping to pay for (also very easonable, at least to the UK)

Isilme
March 18th, 2016, 04:09 AM
Thirding The Body Shop comb! If you can afford the higher price of a shampoo bar from Lush they last for ages, much longer than a bottle. I think it's cheaper in the long run, bonus for minimal packaging!

embee
March 18th, 2016, 04:50 AM
WO or NW/SO is very inexpensive. I have a Denman brush - this is the second one I've had since joining TLHC in 2005. Made-at-home hairsticks are fun and cheap, but I have really used my original go-to Mei Fa sticks more than any other hairtoys. Also, chopsticks cut and adjusted for size and all. Hair expense is the least of my worries! :)

I do not see any brush I'd want at Dollar Store. All have those plastic nubs on the end of the bristles, and that won't work for me.

Mirabele
March 18th, 2016, 05:29 AM
i feel that learning to self-trim and stopping bleach/coloring saves me a lot, comparing with before LHC. i wasn't frequent visitor to hairdresser, but i used to go 2-3 times a year for trims or highligths. living in Norway it was a lot of money.
i don't use comb or brush because my hair has no tangles.

now, if i only stop wanting any new hairtoys, that would be great. but even with ocasional purchase of new item, having longer hair in natural color is still cheaper to me than having shorter and highligts.

Carolyn
March 18th, 2016, 08:43 AM
I like Suave and VO5 products. You can find them for $1 or less. The ethnic section also has some nice stuff. I'm not a fan or SO or WO so I won't recommend it.

You can buy a pair of child size black tights and make a lot of pony tail ties. Or color if you wish.

I don't recall how much a Wet to Dry brush is but I think they are less than $15. The Walmart Smart Style salons carry them as well as many other place. I love mine. There are also Tangle Teasers and knock off Tangle Teasers. I saw one of the knock offs on clearance at Walgreens yesterday. There is a Wet to Dry wide tooth comb with wavy tines that's pretty nice. Target has it and I think it was less than $5. Sallys has my favorite wide tooth comb. It's a Mebco detangler. Kind of a tortoise color with a handle. I swear by that thing.

It sounds like you are pretty crafty with your hair sticks. I've taken apart garage sale and Goodwill necklaces and bracelets and reused the beads. Dirt cheap. My other most used hair accessory is a claw clip and they are pretty inexpensive.

You might want to check the sale areas at ULTA or Marshalls for both products and hair accessories.

rhosyn_du
March 18th, 2016, 03:03 PM
You can find some good quality horn combs on Amazon for under $15, and they last ages if you take care to keep them dry and oil them occasionally, so it's very economical in the long term, especially if your hair eats plastic combs like mine does!

spirals
March 18th, 2016, 04:24 PM
Here's my list:

--brushes: Sally Beauty usually has something I can use for around $7.
--shampoo: I actually use soap and a vinegar rinse. I can get a 7-ounce bar of vegetable soap for $5 or less and it'll last me as a shampoo and body soap for 4 to 5 weeks. My new favorite is Yes to Tomatoes because it's for problem skin and despite my problematic scalp I can get 4 no-wash days out of that. Instead of vinegar, actually, I use citric acid. I buy a big bag from Bulk Apothecary once a year and use it for hair, facial toner, and cleaning projects.
--detangler: Suave for Kids is what I'm currently using, and it's really inexpensive. Oil does a better job, though.
--styling products (hair spray, spray gel for vintage styles): dollar store, and I'm not picky about brand at all
--oils: I bought a can of Motions spray oil last summer and it's still half full. I think it was around $3. I use coconut oil occasionally, but I don't think the cost really counts as far as hair. I use it mostly for cooking. It's an occasional thing to use it on my hair.
--hair sticks: most of mine are a gift from my mom. They were chopsticks and she cut them down and painted them. The one pair I have that I bought are dark brown varnished wooden chopsticks from World Market. It cost me $2 for the pair.
--scarves: free, from my grandma
--pins: most are from Sally, not very expensive
--deep treatment: cheap, easy to make SMT
--regular conditioner: about a liter of Tresemme is around $5 or $6 and lasts a couple of months. I get it cheaper sometimes because I work in a retail store and get discounts.

meteor
March 18th, 2016, 04:39 PM
I got my dowels from walmart.com , but you can often find them in-store, in the craft section with the acrylic paints and stuff.

ETA: You can find big long dowels in any size you can think of, at The Home Depot or Lowe's and probably any other home-improvement/handyman supply store, but I haven't compared the price.

Thanks a bunch, languagenut! :D That's really great to know! ;)

So many great ideas on this thread! :applause

cathair
March 18th, 2016, 06:26 PM
I spent ages eyeing up fancy combs that were out my price range and learnt to finger comb in the meantime. Now I don't want one! So that's nice, it's free. YMMV with that one, your hair is much thicker than mine.

I have a couple of fine tooth wooden combs I use when I put my hair up to smooth it down. I got them from ebay for about £1 each including postage. Cheap enough I could have one of at home and one for my bag! I gather some fancy hotel gives them away for free when you stay there. I guess people buy them to try and look like they've been somewhere nice or something? :confused: Or maybe they just want wooden combs like me, I don't know. They are fine anyway :)

My hair dye is not expensive. I estimate because I don't use a whole tub at once, it costs less an £1 a go.

I started using much cheaper shampoos and conditioners than before and am just has happy with them. I only buy them on offer, they are routinely half price. So it's just picking them up at the right moment. If they're not on offer I don't buy them. I think I spend most on coconut oil, which I buy from an 'international' shop where it's cheapest.

languagenut
March 18th, 2016, 08:09 PM
As newmooncrafts told me, spin pins can be found at many Dollar Tree locations. Mine came from there and work great! And they come with a few ponytail holders and bobby pins which may or may not be useful. If you don't have a dollar store nearby that stocks them, you can get them on Amazon; 20 for a few dollars (I forget the exact price), but I haven't bought them so I don't know about their quality.

EdG
March 19th, 2016, 12:23 AM
A few years ago, I discovered that I no longer needed shower caps. Wrapping my hair around my hand and holding it over my head in the shower worked better.

ETA: this works because water doesn't run uphill. I can wash right up to the hairline. The shower head has to be at the right height and angle.
Ed

spirals
March 19th, 2016, 01:01 AM
I have inexpensive shower caps but only use them if I need to protect a roller set. If I haven't set my hair and the edges around my face/neck get a little wet, it's not a problem.

Hairkay
March 19th, 2016, 02:07 AM
I second the WO method, or even the NW/SO method. Cheapest product you can get is from your own head :cool:
I'm thirding the WO method. You can finger detangle so you don't worry about combs that much. You can also make some DIY hair masks if you wish. DIY hair ties and hair accessories also don't cost that much. The pros of DIY stuff is that you can make it to your exact requirements. Sometimes I look around to buy some hair ties and come away disgusted that I can't find what I want or that I can do better.

adrenaline
March 19th, 2016, 04:53 AM
I think I'm a low-budget longhair :o I only use (low priced) shampoo, at the moment a german brand called "Alterra", and i also dilute them. I don't need any (deep) conditioning treatments and i use combs and brushes i find at my home(s) (although once i bought expensive wooden brushes from japan, but its months ago). And i don't possess any hair toys or something like that ^^

Anje
March 19th, 2016, 08:24 AM
A few years ago, I discovered that I no longer needed shower caps. Wrapping my hair around my hand and holding it over my head in the shower worked better.

ETA: this works because water doesn't run uphill. I can wash right up to the hairline. The shower head has to be at the right height and angle.
Ed

I still like my cheapo shower caps. Slather on conditioner, put in cap, then I have both hands free for lathering up the rest of me while my hair conditions and doesn't get soapy or prematurely rinsed.

EdG
March 19th, 2016, 10:02 AM
I still like my cheapo shower caps. Slather on conditioner, put in cap, then I have both hands free for lathering up the rest of me while my hair conditions and doesn't get soapy or prematurely rinsed.I still own a shower cap. I use it when I am house painting. The shower cap doesn't need periodic replacement since it is hardly ever used.

Before showering, I put some shampoo in a plastic container. I use the shampoo as a body wash. This can be done with one hand.

Oddly enough, the downside to using one's hand to hold up one's hair is that this position restricts the blood circulation to the arm. That limits showers to a few minutes.
Ed

Arctic
March 19th, 2016, 10:36 AM
Ed I was just about to comment, that you probably aren't taking very long showers :D

I'm pretty frugal with my hair. I don't have anything new to add that wouldn't have been said already.

EdG
March 19th, 2016, 10:49 AM
Arctic - yes, holding one's arm above one's head is difficult for any length of time. ;)
Ed

meteor
March 19th, 2016, 02:05 PM
^ I solve that problem by switching up left and right hand for holding up my braid every few minutes. ;)
Also, for shower caps, plastic grocery bags work perfectly... actually, they are even better - since the whole head and bun can fit there better than in those tiny shower caps - but I'd only use those for deep treatments, not for regular shower when simple bunning suffices.

lapushka
March 19th, 2016, 02:21 PM
We don't get those types of plastic bags in grocery stores anymore. Only at the pharmacist do you still get them. So I needed to get a shower cap for my DTs, if and when I do them, which is rare that I still leave a treatment on for that long - just don't have the time.

My mom takes her huge re-usable plastic canvas bags to the store these days.

Robot Ninja
March 19th, 2016, 02:22 PM
Also, for shower caps, plastic grocery bags work perfectly... actually, they are even better - since the whole head and bun can fit there better than in those tiny shower caps - but I'd only use those for deep treatments, not for regular shower when simple bunning suffices.

Yes, and you don't get elastic marks on your forehead like with a shower cap.

Horrorpops
March 21st, 2016, 07:12 PM
Hi OP, having been a student while growing out my hair I've had to do a lot of it on a budget. My favourite things:
- a $10 BBB (purse size) - I bought from my local pharmacy, I was so happy not to have to spend $50+ on a brush because to me (on my budget) that's insane. I think it was "Lady Jayne" or something like that. Pure BBB, no nylon! I have found the smaller size just fine to use for smoothing and working oil through my hair because you never use a BBB for detangling anyway.
- a cheap wide tooth comb - you don't have to buy seamless because at least for me I haven't found it to ever catch or pull in my hair. Very cheap to get from the supermarket because it isn't a specialty item.
- coconut oil, honey and conditioner hair masks - who needs to buy expensive hair masks, I've found this makes my hair so shiny and smooth. I can wrap my head in clingwrap or plastic bag and leave it for hours for an extra boost. And it really uses barely any coconut oil so its quite cheap.
- Using plastic bags instead of showercaps or clingfilm for hair masks. (I use the two handles as a tie in the front and it's perfect! And I have an endless supply in my pantry!)
- not hair related but I also love honey and lemon face masks or brown sugar face scrubs. I never buy expensive face masks because I find those two do a great job on my skin. :o

Hope this gives you some ideas, my hair is actually does better with consistent-low budget care then occasional budget blowout expensive items haha :)

ETA: I see PPs have already discovered the plastic bag use - its so good and so much cheaper than alternatives!! :D Everyone should for sure try it its fab.

missrandie
March 21st, 2016, 07:31 PM
I do buy shower caps, but I buy the "single use" ones that come 15 for a dollar, then wear one until it wears out - usually 3-4 months. I use them every second or third day for cowashing. I'm happy with a dollar or two dollar investment every few years.

MadHouseWitch
March 21st, 2016, 07:46 PM
I have done the dowel hairsticks
but I've also finished them with NAIL POLISH (I learned glitter ones can snag LOL but they look pretty ;) )
I have also coated the dowel in polymer clay (fimo or sculpey) to make some kick @$$ ones, that look like a lightsaber and a sonic screwdriver ><
I've done some jewelry wire and cheapo bead flexi 8 type of toys (which I don't feel is really "my thing" they don't get worn much)

My BBB came from Walmarts ethnic section, didn't cost a fortune which is good since it doesn't work AT ALL for me. My Husband likes it though, works GREAT for his hair (which isn't long) but also his beard! He says "it feels good on the scalp" and there is me "well, it sure is nice it reaches SOMEONES around here" I get a graze across the top and that is it, no scalp contact whatsoever!

I keep a bottle of Vo5 in my shower, to help rinse out henna and for when I feel like I need to CWC (aka I forgot to oil the night before washing!) that is a whopping 75 cents here.
speaking of oil, I use coconut or EVOO, which I count almost as free, since I like them in my kitchen anyway!

My shower comb came from the $1 store, on the recommendation of a friend of mine it came in a 3 pack (wide tooth, regular comb, and a pick) I have the wide tooth in my shower, and it turned out that my "best shower comb" (my friends words) came WITH my husbands "really good comb" LOL it went MIA once and he asked me where it went LOL. Walmart here has a pack of "bone" combs for not too much too. IF they have seams you can sand them, I've never noticed an issue with my $1 store ones, but some might.
I haunt ebay for good deals, and the clearance isle. Once I found some goodies at a thrift store a WHOLE bag for $2.99 or $3.99 (I forget) but it had this fantastic pewter jaw clip. it is HEAVY but PRETTY and Amazon has it somewhere between $10-$20 alone (I found out later) MOST hair things can be washed up and good as new.

I've taken to haunting the swap board, I'll really have to lay off that now. but that helps if I want some better things at good prices. :) Though certainly not all, but deals can be found :D

OH and the Eternally In Amber, I'm REALLY hoping to get a comb soon! it will replace my shower comb I think. BUT I'm signed up for the May box so *fingers crossed*

I'm often in the "budget" category, but I had a bit extra to play with recently. I've had much fun with it, but it quickly is getting to the point of TOO MUCH LOL.

Everyone has what they have as a budget and some will have more than you others will have less. I will continue to have a good mix of self made and some purchased (some with MORE than I would have LIKED to spend) but often that is still a too good to pass up with a really great savings (buying 2nd hand)

I'm also very tempted to just thrift some oversized Tshirts OR commandeer the husband's ones with holes, we have a thrift store that is a Goodwill Outlet, that is rummage but by the pound for pricing so Tshirts would be CHEAP to buy there, I actually got one of my Turbie Twists there :)

Anje
March 21st, 2016, 08:17 PM
ETA: I see PPs have already discovered the plastic bag use - its so good and so much cheaper than alternatives!! :D Everyone should for sure try it its fab.
Uh, it's not like a showercap is a single use item. I must get at least 6 months out of one before the elastic is getting stretched out badly, and they're something like 3 for $1.50. The only trick is remembering where you stuck the rest. The thinner ones (like 15 for $1) don't have a strong enough elastic to hold them on with my conditioning hair inside if I don't have the hair otherwise secured.

spirals
March 21st, 2016, 08:59 PM
Another tip: If you happen to handle food at work you can take home hair nets after you use them. I use them to protect roller sets overnight or to allow my hair to dry "down" while I sleep.

Alex Lou
March 21st, 2016, 10:31 PM
Neglect saves money and grows hair. Stretch washes and you save on shampoo, conditioner, and water bill. Not trimming is free. No need to spend money on styling tools..lol. This is actually my story. You really don't go through much product when you wash every other week.

Simsy
March 22nd, 2016, 12:14 AM
Uh, it's not like a showercap is a single use item. I must get at least 6 months out of one before the elastic is getting stretched out badly, and they're something like 3 for $1.50. The only trick is remembering where you stuck the rest. The thinner ones (like 15 for $1) don't have a strong enough elastic to hold them on with my conditioning hair inside if I don't have the hair otherwise secured.

I do buy shower caps, but I buy the "single use" ones that come 15 for a dollar, then wear one until it wears out - usually 3-4 months. I use them every second or third day for cowashing. I'm happy with a dollar or two dollar investment every few years.

Yes, and you don't get elastic marks on your forehead like with a shower cap.

I don't bother with shower caps. I pull the mop up into a bun and wash away. Occasionally, I get a light misting on the neck fuzzies, but otherwise the whole lot comes out dry enough to keep it happy. If it's getting washed; shampoo, rinse, conditioner, coil up out of the way and then wash the rest of the body while the conditioner sets in. Rinse the body, rinse the hair and hop out.

JustPam
March 22nd, 2016, 06:48 AM
I'm so much more low budget as a long(ish)hair than I ever was at shorter lengths, my hair is now so naturally healthy and low maintenance that benign neglect works perfectly for me. I keep products to a minimum, and the cheaper the better, own-brand S&Cs are usually a good cheap choice for low sulphate and cone free, dilute to stretch and stock up when it's on offer. I have no interest in "hair toys" so that saves me a fortune, I put my hair up with cheap conventional accessories, I'm just careful about it. I do my own trims using a pair of £10 student scissors. No sleep caps, no satin pillows, no special towels, no nothing!

Horrorpops
March 22nd, 2016, 07:20 AM

Ok whatever works for you :o
For myself it was a handy thing I had around the house I didn't have to buy. The ones you have near you sound super cheap - I have never seen them near me for that kinda price but who knows haha

Also wanted to add another one: using an old cotton t shirt rather than a hair turbie to dry my hair in! So good!!

ETA: Simsy I don't use a shower cap in the shower, it's more for when I do a hair mask to keep it all contained and provide a bit of extra scalp heat and humidity. Especially if I am going to sleep on it- that's when I cracked out the plastic bags lol I am with you, in the shower all I need is a bun! :D

Hypothesis
March 22nd, 2016, 08:00 AM
I don't bother with shower caps. I pull the mop up into a bun and wash away. Occasionally, I get a light misting on the neck fuzzies, but otherwise the whole lot comes out dry enough to keep it happy. If it's getting washed; shampoo, rinse, conditioner, coil up out of the way and then wash the rest of the body while the conditioner sets in. Rinse the body, rinse the hair and hop out.

Same. I used to use the cheap shower caps but burning my hair and keeping it out of the spray works just as well, and I save $3.

Hypothesis
March 22nd, 2016, 08:01 AM
*bunning
Auto correct sucks. Burning my hair would be awful.

cathair
March 22nd, 2016, 05:27 PM
I have a non-disposable shower cap with a kitty on it :) It was from Primark, it only cost me £1. I've had it years and it shows no signs of wearing out.

Plastic bags cost money here now, they are no longer free when you buy things. So I use cling film when I dye my hair. It's 55p for about 40 metres of the stuff, it doesn't exactly break the bank. Cheaper than paying 5p per bag, that's for sure. I probably would use bags if they were still free though.

Hairkay
March 23rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
I have a non-disposable shower cap with a kitty on it :) It was from Primark, it only cost me £1. I've had it years and it shows no signs of wearing out.

Plastic bags cost money here now, they are no longer free when you buy things. So I use cling film when I dye my hair. It's 55p for about 40 metres of the stuff, it doesn't exactly break the bank. Cheaper than paying 5p per bag, that's for sure. I probably would use bags if they were still free though.

Some are still free. Small independent traders are exempt from the charge for bags.

lapushka
March 23rd, 2016, 12:57 PM

Same in Belgium. Even more, they don't have the small plastic bags anymore. Only the pharmacist still gives them out. But they too recently gave my mom a reusable bag to use.

meteor
March 23rd, 2016, 01:23 PM
Shower caps simply can't fit over all my hair. I use a shower cap only to cover my bun - and that's perfect for scalp-only washes, since I can access all my scalp easily but protect the bun. However, if I need to cover all my head, only grocery bags will do - and, of course, they are very easy to re-use, just like shower caps. :thumbsup:

I do like plastic wraps (with cling film), but they are not reusable, so I'm not too sure about the environmental impact in the long run.

Anje
March 23rd, 2016, 03:48 PM
I'm glad we still have the plastic bags. I use them for kitty litter. :p

Alex Lou
March 24th, 2016, 12:37 AM
I do the same. I'm not sure what the point is in a shower cap.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 05:12 AM
In my shower my hair would get wet from the shower stream without a shower cap, OR my neck would start cramping from the awkward head position I would be in, when trying to avoid my hair getting wet. That's not really a problem for me, as I was almost daily (every time I shower, usually).

My tip is about hair shears. I bought mine from supermarket, a known (here where I live) brand who makes all kinds of beauty-related items. I payed about 10 Euros of them, so they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum and nowhere near professional level either. I have been very happy with them, no complains.

They have been with me for years, probably at least 7, and I have had only one trim during that time in salon, so they get to be used a lot (I trim and/or dust often). I use them on hair only, and store them flat on a shelf in a cabinet, where nothing will touch their blades.

This careful storage and limited usage has kept the blades in very good condition. So even cheaper pair can be a good pair, and with storing and using it wisely you can make the pair last a long time.

I have been considering getting them resharpened professionally lately, but it would be - with postage - so expensive I could buy 3 new 10 € pairs of shears (or, which would be more wise, a pair of 30 € shears). If I sent them to be sharpened, I would ask the opinion from the sharepeners whether this kind of pair is even suitable for sharpening. I'm environmentally conscious person, so I'd opt for the sharpening of old pair rather than buying a new pair ideally.

But I'd say in general, the thicker the hair, the more meaningful it will become to invest a little more to the shears. Good shears will make cutting thick hair more effortless, and the end results will be neater. Especially since many home cutters are not sectioning their hair at all.

missrandie
March 24th, 2016, 06:50 AM
I do the same. I'm not sure what the point is in a shower cap.

For me, the point of the shower cap is so that I can walk around the house still while my hair marinates in conditioner. It holds the heat and moisture in.

I don't actually use them to keep my hair dry. I use them to keep conditioner off the floor, couch, and to keep it on my head.

JustPam
March 24th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I have been considering getting them resharpened professionally lately, but it would be - with postage - so expensive I could buy 3 new 10 € pairs of shears (or, which would be more wise, a pair of 30 € shears). If I sent them to be sharpened, I would ask the opinion from the sharepeners whether this kind of pair is even suitable for sharpening. I'm environmentally conscious person, so I'd opt for the sharpening of old pair rather than buying a new pair ideally.

I'm sure there would be ways of recycling your old pair, or maybe donating them to a hairdressing school?

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 09:26 AM
I'm sure there would be ways of recycling your old pair, or maybe donating them to a hairdressing school?

Sure I would recycle them, or even donate them - but I doubt hair dressing shcools would use old pair of 10€ shears, lol. They would laugh at anyone offering them. They will of course use professional shears, most likely each student will buy their own pair.

But it's not a pressing issue for me (resharpening or buying a new pair) as this pair is in great condition.

Hairkay
March 24th, 2016, 10:42 AM
For me, the point of the shower cap is so that I can walk around the house still while my hair marinates in conditioner. It holds the heat and moisture in.

I don't actually use them to keep my hair dry. I use them to keep conditioner off the floor, couch, and to keep it on my head.

I also condition hair but I don't necessarily use shower caps to do that. Plastic bags or plastic wrap does the job too. I only use shower caps when I want to condition my hair somewhere away from home like at the swimming pool or off on a trip when there's a chance I'll be seen in public changing rooms.

Robot Ninja
March 24th, 2016, 11:21 AM
I'm pretty good at keeping my hair out of the shower spray, although my showerhead is adjustable so I can set it at an angle. I wear a stretchy headband to keep my nape hairs and bangs from getting wet. I made it out of scrap fabric but you could probably jury rig something similar out of an old t-shirt or something. It's also useful for keeping my bangs and hairline wispies out of the way when I wash my face.

missrandie
March 24th, 2016, 11:43 AM
I also condition hair but I don't necessarily use shower caps to do that. Plastic bags or plastic wrap does the job too. I only use shower caps when I want to condition my hair somewhere away from home like at the swimming pool or off on a trip when there's a chance I'll be seen in public changing rooms.

Yeah, I just don't like being a "bag head" (husband coined that one.) that, and the sound of a grocery sack bugs me more than the sound of a soft shower cap. I've done the bag thing plenty of times, though.

languagenut
March 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
My tip is about hair shears. I bought mine from supermarket, a known (here where I live) brand who makes all kinds of beauty-related items. I payed about 10 Euros of them, so they are on the cheaper end of the spectrum and nowhere near professional level either. I have been very happy with them, no complains.

They have been with me for years, probably at least 7, and I have had only one trim during that time in salon, so they get to be used a lot (I trim and/or dust often). I use them on hair only, and store them flat on a shelf in a cabinet, where nothing will touch their blades.

This careful storage and limited usage has kept the blades in very good condition. So even cheaper pair can be a good pair, and with storing and using it wisely you can make the pair last a long time.

But I'd say in general, the thicker the hair, the more meaningful it will become to invest a little more to the shears. Good shears will make cutting thick hair more effortless, and the end results will be neater. Especially since many home cutters are not sectioning their hair at all.

I got my mom's scissors sharpened at a local sew & vac shop. Do you have any of those where you live? Don't know if that's professional enough or not.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I haven't look into those, I just search online specifically about services for sharpening professional hair cutting shears (this is the kind of place where hair dressers send their shears). Nearest one is located at the other side of the country from me.

My main point was, never mind the cost of sharpening, that even cheaper pair can stay in very good shape for years and years dispite being used relatively often, when they're stored correctly and only used on hair.

Anje
March 24th, 2016, 12:57 PM
I use the showercap to keep my conditioning hair off my body and out of the shower spray while I do the rest of my shower routine. I find that if I just bun the hair, I squeeze out a lot of conditioner, as a bun needs to be pretty tight to stay for me when already-slippery hair is actively soaking in conditioner when it's made. Plus, dumping it all in a shower cap is quicker and easier with less manipulation. I do rinse out the cap afterward.

lapushka
March 24th, 2016, 02:07 PM
What's also good for the budget is stretching out your washes. I now wash once a week. That's 4x a month I need to use shampoo & conditioner instead of my usual 8/10x - it saves you a lot of product! Also, buying & stocking up during sales, especially those products that you know are Holy Grail and that you *will* use all the time anyway.

Kimberly
March 24th, 2016, 03:55 PM
Very good suggestion, lapushka, about stretching washes. I also find that stretching extra-long, when I have an opportunity to hide out in the house or wear a hat, is a very effective deep-treatment that works better the longer I can leave it.

JustPam
March 25th, 2016, 04:03 AM
Sure I would recycle them, or even donate them - but I doubt hair dressing shcools would use old pair of 10€ shears, lol. They would laugh at anyone offering them. They will of course use professional shears, most likely each student will buy their own pair.

But it's not a pressing issue for me (resharpening or buying a new pair) as this pair is in great condition.

Really? Well in that case I feel a bit ripped off because at my college most of the equipment was older than me, haha! Or maybe Finland just puts more money into education than the UK does. Anyhoo, slightly off-topic now haha!

Arctic
March 25th, 2016, 04:21 AM
I believe the students need to buy professional shears for themselves, yes. Like a photography student needs to buy her own camera, or graphic designer student needs to buy her own hardware and software for home usage. They probably do get a nice discount though, for group orders, and for being students. Why practice with inferior, much less ergonomic and effective pair, when you can practice with the real deal and learn to use the sharp, professional shears.

There is also the client's side of things: If I'd go to the hair dressing school to have my trim, and they would use a 10€ pair of old scissors, I wouldn't be pleased. I expect professional, tip top sharp shears - even from students.

Salwety
March 26th, 2016, 01:10 AM
Well I like to believe that I am not spending a lot on hair products and toys, and I try to do it. Sometimes it doesn't work especially if you are still trying to figure out a new routine for your hair. And this is what I do:

- I stopped using shampoo
- instead I use the same conditioner to wash, hydrate and style my hair. Doesn't have to be an expensive one, and no need to use al lot a little goes to long. one big bottle can stay for six month or more. Now I use tresseme or HE.
- use WO in between washes. Product free.
- I use olive oil to seal the moiture to style my hair, to protect the ends, also use it as a deep conditioner over night. You can find it at reasnable price in the food stores.
- use normal yogurt for protien treatment once a month, instead of overly priced protein teatment products.
- use a henna mask once a month to promote moisture and strenthen the hair. Where I live henna is so cheap.
- I bought satin fabric and will sew my pillow case. It is much sheaper that way.
- as for hair toys, I don't get something fancy. Only the things thaat will do the jop and feel comfortable and decent looking. You already do your hair toys and I looooove how they look.
- I bought a good pair of hair shears and already used it to give myself a trim. So it will pay of in the long run.
- I don't use chemical dies, and stopped using chemical straightning and keratin treatments for my hair. They were realy expensive per session. Now I even don't see why I had paid that much money for someone to fry my hair at 350 degree. Thanks to LHC I will never go through this again.

endlessly
March 26th, 2016, 09:44 PM
For brushes, I highly recommend the Tangle Teezer. I purchased my first one at Sally's Beauty after signing up for their membership card (costs $5, but you get a $5 coupon for the next day), so I was able to use the coupon and get their membership price - brought it down to about $4 or $5? My most recent ones have been picked up at my local Ulta where they're listed at $10, but if you sign up for their e-mails, you're often sent a $3.50 off a $10 purchase coupon or sometimes, a $5 off $10. It also helps if you sign up for their membership (it's free) because you earn points off everything you purchase, which can then save you more money and allow you to receive better coupons down the line.

The haircare products I use now (Lush) are initially quite expensive, but considering how long they've lasted me and how little you have to use, they're more than worth the sticker shock. My shampoo bar costs $9.95 and I've been using it for the past year and my conditioner, a whopping $33.95, typically lasts me around 10 months. Also, my leave-in conditioner from them ($24.95) lasts me right around 11 months.

Prior to discovering this brand, I used a mixture of Suave, Herbal Essences, Pantene, etc. but I always had to use so much shampoo to make my hair actually feel clean followed by a handful of conditioner to make it feel soft and silky again. For me, those brands just didn't work out, but if those are the best option for you, keep an eye out for different sales - Target, for example, will often do a "buy 3 and get a $5 giftcard" deal and most of the time, you can also find an additional coupon in the paper or online.

spirals
March 26th, 2016, 10:37 PM
Target, for example, will often do a "buy 3 and get a $5 giftcard" deal and most of the time, you can also find an additional coupon in the paper or online.I like those kind of deals. Their policy is you can get the giftcard and also use a Target coupon + a manufacturer coupon on each of the products, and if there is a Cartwheel deal, use that, too. I go a little crazy in Target sometimes. :couch:

Groovy Granny
March 27th, 2016, 10:25 AM
What a great thread :thumbsup:

This frugal granny loves money saving ideas :popcorn: