PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on finely sifted Cassia/Henna shade comparable to Rainbow's Marigold

berrybleu
March 15th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I'm interested in trying Drackie's Easy Henna method with a Cassia/Henna blend. I posted in that thread asking if anyone had successfully thickened the liquid for easier root application and someone replied that they obtain a pudding consistency without explaining how. I'm assuming that they are using a well sifted blend.

Which brings me to my question, does anyone have a recommendation on a finely sifted Cassia/Henna shade comparable to Rainbow's Marigold?

While I'm at it I might as well ask if anyone has any suggestions on how to achieve a pudding consistency.

Thanks

Anje
March 15th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Well-sifted definitely helps. I'm not a huge help, because I buy my henna locally, but if you bought from a reputable supplier like Mehandi.com or HennaSooq, you should be able to get very nice henna and cassia for your own blend. If I remember correctly, the Senna alexandrina you can get at Monterey Bay Spice Company (http://www.herbco.com/c-185-senna.aspx) is also pretty finely sifted; it's very similar to the standard cassia (Senna italica, scientifically) or maybe a little more yellow, and cheap. With a name like "Marigold", I'm sure what you're aiming for is going to be low in henna, maybe 10% of the total mix?

If you want a pre-mixed blend, Nightblooming on Etsy sells a few different shades with varying ratios of henna and senna. Full disclosure: She's an LHCer and a good friend of mine.

morrigan*
March 15th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Finely sifted helps a lot, i bought pure henna and cassia for first time, until now i only tried premixed stuff and it makes a lot of difference. I get pudding like consistency and it doesn't crumble but rather sticks to hair.

berrybleu
March 16th, 2016, 08:17 AM
If you want a pre-mixed blend, Nightblooming on Etsy sells a few different shades with varying ratios of henna and senna. Full disclosure: She's an LHCer and a good friend of mine.

Anje, Are her pre-mixed shades finely sifted?

Anje
March 16th, 2016, 09:47 AM
Anje, Are her pre-mixed shades finely sifted?

Yep.

(More characters)

berrybleu
March 17th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Yep.

(More characters)

Anje,

What does "more characters" mean?

I checked out NightBlooming's shop and this looks item looks interesting: Strawberry Blonde Rusalki Herbal Hair Color and Conditioner. horsetail, yellow dock, burdock, cassia obovata, cassia, marshmallow root, aloe, chamomile, hibiscus, nettle, herbs, henna.

Obviously I recognize the cassia and henna and the listing explains the benefits of each of the other ingredients but I'm wondering if anyone can comment on the likelihood of an adverse reaction from any of them, especially the following: horsetail, yellow dock, and burdock.

Also, is there any way to target the reviews for a specific product on Etsy? I had to skim through all of them to get to the ones for the hair products. I think I got up to 250. The vast majority of them were 4 or 5 stars. Although there was one idiot the posted a 1 star review because the color didn't take, of course they gave so little info it was impossible to tell if they'd done a strand test or followed the directions properly. One of the better written reviews not only gave a 5 star rating but backed the sellers claim about possible hair growth.

I need to go back to her shop and check the shipping costs and check out some of the beautiful hair jewelry.

But I'm still open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

Anje
March 17th, 2016, 08:23 AM
I think you'd do best to contact her on Etsy with your questions. But a patch test and a strand test are always good ideas, especially with new colors and if you have a tendency to have allergic reactions.

Oh, and the character thing is just because we have a minimum number of letters for a post. I was on mobile and didn't feel like trying to make them an unobtrusive color.

berrybleu
March 17th, 2016, 09:13 AM
I think you'd do best to contact her on Etsy with your questions. But a patch test and a strand test are always good ideas, especially with new colors and if you have a tendency to have allergic reactions.

Oh, and the character thing is just because we have a minimum number of letters for a post. I was on mobile and didn't feel like trying to make them an unobtrusive color.

Anje,

Thanks for the input and the clarification on the character minimum. Contacting the seller is always an option and I can tell from the reviews and comments here that this particular seller has a great reputation but I was hoping for info on any of the extra ingredients in general and with respect to this particular product, or line of products, if possible.

Of course I also have the option of researching each ingredient specifically but I thought I'd using any input here as a jumping off point.

Again, thanks for the info.