PDA

View Full Version : Damage level of combs and brushes?

lithostoic
March 15th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Lately I've been finger combing more because I'm worried of the damage caused by other tools. But while I prefer using fingers for larger knots, it takes FOREVER for all of my hair and my shed hairs are all over everything.

I have a plastic wide toothed comb that frankly, makes me nervous. I pretty much only use it in the shower while I have conditioner in. And I have a BBB but I'm worried it's breaking my hairs.

Any suggestions for gentle brushes and combs?

Cg
March 15th, 2016, 11:28 AM
I start with finger combing, then go to wide-tooth wood comb, followed by bamboo de-tangling paddle brush, and don't even use the bbb until I'm absolutely sure there are no tangles anywhere. I also follow every brush stroke with my other hand to minimize static and flyaways.

With each tool, I start at the very ends and gradually work up to the scalp. Proper care does take time, no doubt about it.

missrandie
March 15th, 2016, 11:32 AM
Eternally In Amber has some lovely seamless combs.

Honestly, as long as your combs are seamless, you should be good.

For those who love a brush, either a wooden bristle or bamboo bristle brush would be just fine.

Also, some folks love the Tangle Teezer.

I have all of these things, and enjoy them all.

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 11:36 AM
I have a wide tooth comb with only 12 prongs or so and the distance between the prongs is 1/5". I think that finger combing damages my hair more. My fingers are not as smoothly polished as the comb. I have sometimes rough nails, horny skin from tennis...

meteor
March 15th, 2016, 11:41 AM
Plastic should be OK, as long as you sand down the seams: check for seams with fingers or run nylon pantyhose on the seam to check if it snags. If it does, use nail file or buffer to sand down the seam.

Any suggestions for gentle brushes and combs?

I like the Body Shop Comb: http://www.thebodyshop.com/hair/brushes-combs/detangling-comb.aspx Very affordable and easy to find locally.
It's made of wood (birch), so not ideal for wet hair (wood can warp), but it's great for dry detangling.

Many people recommend Hairsence "bone" combs (made of bakelite) - http://hairsense.com/combs/bone-combs/ - or Hercules Sägemann (vulcanized hard rubber) - http://www.hotcombs.net/magic-star-jumbo-rake/. They are chemical- & heat-resistant and certainly safe to use in the shower.

Eternally in Amber combs (acetate cellulose) are very popular on the LHC, as well: https://www.etsy.com/shop/EternallyInAmber

It's important to get the right spacing, length of tines/bristles and flexibility for your hairtype. Ideally, I'd recommend seeing the tool in person before buying.

JJJLongHair (LadyLongLocks) posted a great photo album and video with clear details on bristles, spacing (with a measuring tape), etc of her favorite combs and brushes:
http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/2.shtml/Brushes%20%26%20Combs and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6js_mROUxvs
I think it can be of great help! ;)

restless
March 16th, 2016, 04:46 AM
I start with finger combing, then go to wide-tooth wood comb, followed by bamboo de-tangling paddle brush, and don't even use the bbb until I'm absolutely sure there are no tangles anywhere. I also follow every brush stroke with my other hand to minimize static and flyaways.

With each tool, I start at the very ends and gradually work up to the scalp. Proper care does take time, no doubt about it.

As a fellow fine-haired person whose hair cant even take a TT without breaking, this post got me curious and I hope you dont mind me asking:

For how long have you been keeping up with this routine of 3 different combs/brushes? How often do you do it? Have you noticed a difference in your hair?

Lisa-K
March 16th, 2016, 05:48 AM
I wouldn't rely on finger combing alone. I'd get tangles for sure, because while it does the first part of the job right after I step out of the shower, I personally need something with pins or teeth that are finer than my fingers so I can get it completely smooth once my hair has dried about 80%.

I use this wooden brush by Tek:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1565/24329954683_9620a6d1f8_z.jpg

And then once it's completely dry and I want it super smooth, I use this by a French company named Flower:

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1666/24326203134_b96fa6b637_z.jpg

I never comb or brush it while in the shower. I'd break off strands for sure. But everybody's hair is different, of course.

lapushka
March 16th, 2016, 06:32 AM
As long as you finger detangle, then use the WT comb, then use the brush (brush *always* last), then it's fine. It's all about the order in which you do things. Don't go pulling a brush through not detangled hair like that before having taken a WT comb to it.

lithostoic
March 16th, 2016, 06:58 AM
Thanks you guys! That Tek brush interests me.

languagenut
March 16th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I have trouble with brushing; a lot of hair gets broken, even when I'm careful. How much do you suppose the condition of my brush contributes to that? Most of the little bristle-tips are missing; do you think a new cheap plastic brush, that has its bristle-tips intact, would be any improvement? And I know I have a cheap plastic wide-toothed comb, but I can't find it! How much does a boar bristle brush cost anyway? How do I protect my hair without breaking the bank? My budget is, like, five dollars. I have another proofreading opportunity coming up that might help ease things up a bit, but I don't want to rip up my hair in the meantime! (/me ponders the three different uses of "up" in the last sentence).

lithostoic
March 16th, 2016, 06:48 PM
languagenut I definitely suggest a shower comb. The ones with the cone shaped teeth that are made of thick plastic, with the thick rounded handle. You can get them at CVS. That's what I wanted to get but I desperately needed a comb asap and only had pocket change. I think shower combs are less than $5.

I'm talking about these guys http://blog.biocarelabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Shower_Comb.jpg

languagenut
March 18th, 2016, 10:14 AM
So I switched from using this:

https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-nbnrpBIJ3-A/VuwjlEjlO8I/AAAAAAAAAcA/Mq0VweuEFjMgL3WmUWpvepSW4dbko52wA/s1600/brush1.jpg

to this:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-JAnckeB5_Ro/VuwjniIjfbI/AAAAAAAAAcE/YPiIhUfr_4oeaOTkMSJgv4CEv39pouOgw/s1600/brush2.jpg

We'll see if there's any improvement.

lithostoic
March 18th, 2016, 10:16 AM
languagenut That new brush is a great improvement from the old one. Good choice.

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 12:07 PM
Thanks you guys! That Tek brush interests me.

Same brush is sold under brand name Widu in your country.

lithostoic
March 18th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Thank you Arctic! I'll keep my eyes peeled for it.

Llama
March 18th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Deleted (deleted)

languagenut
March 18th, 2016, 02:03 PM
languagenut That new brush is a great improvement from the old one. Good choice.

I've only used it a few times, and already I can see a difference! When I use the purple brush, I only have a few strands to clean out of it, as opposed to the big wads I always pulled out of the black one! And contrary to my expectations, it is quite adequate for both detangling and styling. And to think it was in the drawer all along, and I snubbed it! I want to throw that ugly black hair-ripping brush in the trash!

Arctic
March 18th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I want to throw that ugly black hair-ripping brush in the trash!

Yes, do that and ASAP :laugh: I'm sorry but that is one beast of a brush. I would have tossed it years ago, to be honest. Your hair decerves better!

languagenut
March 18th, 2016, 02:32 PM
Yes, do that and ASAP :laugh: I'm sorry but that is one beast of a brush. I would have tossed it years ago, to be honest. Your hair decerves better!

Yeah, and put that "beast of a brush" in the hand of a frustrated, hormonally deranged individual and it doesn't get any better! Poor hair...

I actually didn't realize just how decrepit that thing is until I saw the picture, even though I see it in person every day. Weird. Guess a little different perspective helps sometimes.

Complexity
March 18th, 2016, 02:42 PM
Now I'm wondering if I should buy a brush.

I'm strictly finger combing at the moment (I had a plastic comb from the dollar store that I was using post finger comb but I was finding bits of purple paint in my hair afterward so I stopped). My shedding has just started to slow down though and I worry that I'll lose more hair if I add in more tools.

meteor
March 18th, 2016, 05:08 PM
I've only used it a few times, and already I can see a difference! When I use the purple brush, I only have a few strands to clean out of it, as opposed to the big wads I always pulled out of the black one! And contrary to my expectations, it is quite adequate for both detangling and styling. And to think it was in the drawer all along, and I snubbed it! I want to throw that ugly black hair-ripping brush in the trash!

That new brush sounds like a winner, languagenut! :D If a new tool doesn't snag or pull out strands and goes through hair like hot knife through butter, it sounds like a great match for the hairtype! :thumbsup:

Now I'm wondering if I should buy a brush.

I'm strictly finger combing at the moment (I had a plastic comb from the dollar store that I was using post finger comb but I was finding bits of purple paint in my hair afterward so I stopped). My shedding has just started to slow down though and I worry that I'll lose more hair if I add in more tools.

That's kind of my approach, too. :agree: I believe in minimal manipulation, and, assuming the hair is already detangled first with fingers/wide-tooth comb, I don't understand what a brush can add to the experience, beyond polishing the surface (possibly abrading the cuticle? :hmm:) and spreading oils? :hmm: Or am I missing something?

Jumper
March 19th, 2016, 01:03 AM
I don't know what's so special about it, but ever since I bought a Wet Brush I can brush my hair without losing nearly so many strands. It's so gentle on my hair I even use it on tangled hair (trying to finger comb knots out always ends badly for me with a lot of the hair lost). I have damaged ends throughout from having hair cut in layers so I can't say for sure if it increases damage.

My favorite thing ever was just not brushing, it left me with the curliest possible hair. But as my hair gets longer brushing is kind of needed for general management and ease of securing it. So I brush and just have waves. Plus I like the sensation of brushing. It's soothing.

Jumper
March 19th, 2016, 01:09 AM
That's kind of my approach, too. :agree: I believe in minimal manipulation, and, assuming the hair is already detangled first with fingers/wide-tooth comb, I don't understand what a brush can add to the experience, beyond polishing the surface (possibly abrading the cuticle? :hmm:) and spreading oils? :hmm: Or am I missing something?

Personally I just prefer brushing. I do have a comb and I have done both no brushing at all and only combing and using a gentle brush is far faster honestly. It might be because I do have so much hair I just feel like brushing separates the hair much more effectively than combing. So typically after a shower once my hair has air dried I will comb it then brush it then brush as needed until my next wash (not very often unless I'm being careless about not putting my hair up).

I do brush more carefully than I used to, I at least work from tips to roots now rather than just ripping the brush through it.