PDA

View Full Version : The day when I've bought my first hair stick / hair fork / special hair toy...

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 08:09 AM
... is TODAY for me!

I ve bought:
1 acrylic hair stick
1 wooden hair stick
1 horn hair stick
1 wooden hair fork (3p)
1 wooden hair fork (4p)

YAY!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

It's a very special day for me because it means: I'm a REAL LONGHAIR!!! :cheese::disco::cheer:

Do you remember the day when you've bought your very first longhair hair toy?
I mean, a fork, a flexi-8 (too expensive for me...), a ficcare (wayyy to expensive for me...), a stick...
I'd really love to know... :)

(waiting for the order to arrive... :) )

Estrid
March 15th, 2016, 08:17 AM
Exciting, isn't it?! :D

The first thing I bought was a TT (huhu, I started big). No way I could use it since I only had shoulder length hair at that time, but I needed somthing to keep the motivation up, and having a pretty stick to look at was going to keep me from cutting my hair.
Seems to have worked fine, I can use the TT now :)

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 08:26 AM
Exiting, isn't it?! :D

The first thing I bought was a TT (huhu, I started big). No way I could use it since I only had shoulder length hair at that time, but I needed somthing to keep the motivation up, and having a pretty stick to look at was going to keep me from cutting my hair.
Seems to have worked fine, I can use the TT now :)

You mean... A TimberstoneTurnings??? Wow...

Estrid
March 15th, 2016, 08:32 AM
You mean... A TimberstoneTurnings??? Wow...

yes ... :run:

Stormynights
March 15th, 2016, 08:36 AM
I got a Ead acrylic pair of sticks from the swap board. The next thing I got was a Jeter fork for a swap gift. I thought it was very expensive at that time.

Estrid
March 15th, 2016, 08:39 AM
However, I did get some free things from a person in the RAOK thread before buying that TT, but the TT was the first hair toy I ever bought myself.

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 08:47 AM
However, I did get some free things from a person in the RAOK thread before buying that TT, but the TT was the first hair toy I ever bought myself.

It's a good investment. Some of them increase in value over time :) Like a Chanel handbag :)

parkmikii
March 15th, 2016, 08:51 AM
First 'important' one was an emerald lotus ficcare in October 2015 :crush:
Since then I managed to purchase 4 more ficcares :)

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 08:56 AM
First 'important' one was an emerald lotus ficcare in October 2015 :crush:
Since then I managed to purchase 4 more ficcares :)

Emerald Lotus!!! Wonderful!!! It's 58 Euros here... I hope I get one for Christmas... :) :crush:

Eastbound&Down
March 15th, 2016, 08:57 AM
I have yet to buy anything fancy for my hair because I'm scared I'll be excited about it, then won't be able to use it :/ I really would love to get a hair fork, I think forks would work better in my hair than sticks, my hair tends to be rather slippery...

Estrid
March 15th, 2016, 09:03 AM
It's a good investment. Some of them increase in value over time :) Like a Chanel handbag :)

Haha, I guess that could happen :p I'm happy about the investment, it is a beautiful little stick.

Belle Paix
March 15th, 2016, 09:05 AM
Awww congratulations! It's excited to get started, isn't it?
My first was back in July 2009. It was a GTS Threnody with an Amethyst stone. Its still one of my favorites! I'm now getting to the point where I have an almost embarrassing amount of hair pretties.... :whistle:

lapushka
March 15th, 2016, 09:08 AM
Yeah, I couldn't even wear hairtoys like sticks or forks when I started buying them. First very carefully, more cheaper options, then the swap board (when prices of Ficcares were still normal), then when I could wear them, I bought my first Quattros, Ravenslair, Grahtoe (they weren't huge yet and so a not so expensive option). Yeah, I remember those days, when most sellers still sold at regular prices. :lol:

Arctic
March 15th, 2016, 10:12 AM
I did recently a blog post of my hair accessories. My first high quality hair stick was a Graydog.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125405

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 10:17 AM
I did recently a blog post of my hair accessories. My first high quality hair stick was a Graydog.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125405

Wonderful... :) I love all of them. Especially the 2p-fork with the five green stones... sooo pretty... :crush: :)

Arctic
March 15th, 2016, 11:19 AM
Wonderful... :) I love all of them. Especially the 2p-fork with the five green stones... sooo pretty... :crush: :)

Thanks! I hope you'll love your new items!

Cg
March 15th, 2016, 11:20 AM
Isn't it delightful to celebrate your long hair with pretty accessories? Enjoy!

The first high-quality hair accessory I purchased was an amethyst lotus ficcare. Since then I've added more ficcares, but in fact my ketylo sticks or 5p jeterfork hold my slippery hair better than anything.

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 11:30 AM
Isn't it delightful to celebrate your long hair with pretty accessories? Enjoy!

The first high-quality hair accessory I purchased was an amethyst lotus ficcare. Since then I've added more ficcares, but in fact my ketylo sticks or 5p jeterfork hold my slippery hair better than anything.

Thank you :)
Yes... ficcares... It's a dream :crush: but I'm on a budget unfortunately and they are extremely expensive here. But... maybe one day :) :crush:

*Seraphina*
March 15th, 2016, 03:49 PM
My first hair accessory was a silver primavera ficcare. It's still my favorite ficcare after four years. They cost a lot but I don't buy expensive clothes or go to the hairsalon often so that's how I explain away :lala:

embee
March 15th, 2016, 05:12 PM
About 20 years ago I was visiting in another city. I saw in a shop some hairsticks. I bought a pair. Mei Fa. :) These sticks are still my go-to sticks, although I have several other Mei Fa sticks. At the time I bought them I had *very short* hair, a boy cut.... but I had plans. :D I don't remember how many years I had to wait to try to use them, and it was only after I joined TLHC that I really figured it out right.

Simsy
March 15th, 2016, 06:41 PM
I was using a set of chop sticks until I could find a local wood turner. He made me 3 plain hair sticks so I could try them out before going international.

First round of international toys
>pair of hair swords
>teapot hair stick
>2 prong fork

What is a TimberstoneTurning? I am intrigued...

samanthaa
March 15th, 2016, 07:11 PM
My first hair toy was a Copper Rose flexi. I now have 4 total.

Anything other than a flexi is where I start to consider myself a "real" long hair. I am waiting on my first hair stick to arrive (a Ketylo--I don't know if I should be worried that it's been four weeks and I have yet to receive so much as a shipping confirmation). If my stick doesn't arrive, I may try a fork from the swap board next.

Stormynights
March 15th, 2016, 07:21 PM
I never liked my hair down because I thought I looked like a witch with my long gray hair. I still don't like my buns but I love having something pretty to dress them up.

Frankenstein
March 15th, 2016, 07:31 PM
I don't have any real hair toys but I remember the day I made my first pencil hair stick :)

chen bao jun
March 15th, 2016, 08:26 PM
Mine was a Ficcare. It cost $40 including shipping and handling--and I thought that was a horrifically expensive price. But then once I had it, I was so happy with it. For me, it was because of having thick hair more than long hair. I had not thought there was anything in the world which could hold all my hair and not break, and to have some thing was actually pretty--$40 didn't seem so bad. this was back in summer 2012.

Actually, that's not my first real hair toy--mroe than 30 years ago I lived in Asia and I bought a couple of antique hair pins and one that I thought I was going to wear, but could never figure out how to wear. I decided it was meant for 'Chinese' hair but kept it anyway, it was so pretty (real silver, with a carved angel skin coral rose decorating it).

fast forward to 2 years ago--and my hair got long enough to make real buns, and suddenly I could wear it and it HELD. that made me feel like a real long hair. I had been used to making updoes (I thought they were buns) by putting an elastic around my hair and then turning the hiar under and pinning the hair down in a circle around the elastic, if that makes sense and the little hair pin just slid out every time--its a very effective little metal hair fork, but you have to make an actual bun for it to work and I didn't know that or know how to (and anyway, my thick hair was too short even at past APL.

I was so excited that I could use it--and actually I still am.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2036_zps5acb490a.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2036_zps5acb490a.jpg.html)

EdG
March 15th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I usually order computer and electronic items through the Internet. It was a change to order hair sticks a little over a year ago. ;)
Ed

restless
March 16th, 2016, 04:26 AM
My first quality hairtoy was a large Honey marble Ficcare that I ordered in spring 2014. I had seen pics of them in the Ficcare thread and fallen in total love with the colour. It arrived some time later and it was even more beautiful than in the pictures! Unfortunatly Ive never really learnt how to make it work in my hair... I think its just too much hairtoy for my tiny buns and it gets heavy. I still adore it though.

Wusel
March 16th, 2016, 07:51 AM
What is a TimberstoneTurning? I am intrigued...

A VERY expensive hair stick... Very special, beautiful and rare...

https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/272029214/die-prinzessin-eve-celtic-knot-haar?ref=related-1

Wusel
March 16th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I was so excited that I could use it--and actually I still am.
http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/uloma1/100_2036_zps5acb490a.jpg (http://s1280.photobucket.com/user/uloma1/media/100_2036_zps5acb490a.jpg.html)

Very pretty :)

Cg
March 16th, 2016, 08:31 AM
Stormynights, I don't wear my grey hair down either (to look professional), but I revel in the variety of colors I have now. Grey lends itself to bright accessories, which I couldn't wear well when it was all dishwater blonde. Celebrate both your healthy grey and your pretties!

lapis_lazuli
March 16th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Yes! Mine was recently too :D I started out with pencils so it was so satisfying to have a real hairstick to hold my updos! (I felt like a true long hair at that point too ;))

Mirabele
March 16th, 2016, 02:03 PM
I bought a TT stick from a swap board here. Way too expensive and way too long for me :) I love TT sticks, they are a piece of art. I was really excited. That stick looks even better in reality. It is still a bit too long for me but i am keeping it for using in the future.

lillielil
March 16th, 2016, 02:12 PM
I wanted something practical and low-key: a short 3-prong walnut Jeter fork. I have since gotten a few things that are a little more sparkly, but that fork still gets a lot of use.

MadHouseWitch
March 16th, 2016, 03:23 PM
I've made a lot, and done some conventional stuff.
I remember once a few years back as a "reward" for having hair longer, I went to find the old 90's "Hairigami" stuff. I got a knockoff set but it was cheap. they want to "click" too early while rolling it up (Hairigami is like 2 slap bracelets held together by fabric tubes, sewn shut) it came with a few things, some plastic barrette things that broke (hair yoga) but I got 2 of them so I had backup, one was for me one was for my daughter. Rarely do we wear the same thing LOL. Honestly I don't use them much, but I won't get rid of them since I regret getting rid of the REAL set I had that I picked up at Claires as a teen.
Then I didn't really do too much made a few things, braids and hair bands etc.
until... this year hahaha
hitting a point when it felt longer and I could finally use some good things, I put in an order of sticks from Under The Hawaiian Moon, mostly metal, and one set of the ebony whirlwinds that I *almost* got on the swap board a while back. But I had things come up and could not at that time :( I also got my first hair moon from ForEVAHairForks because I had been wanting a moon since I found out about them. That was the first time that things lined up to get one! Either the shop was closed, or I didn't have money when the moon I wanted was available.
Around the same time I got my first and 2nd hair forks (Jeter, and a GTS), AND a Ficcarissimo (that needed repair) on the swap board here. Also an acrylic ONN from the swap board. A few more things and I'll have a nice rounded out collection. I went on a bender and it was FUN, but now Hair toy time out LOL
I feel justified though since my hair is long enough to use them, but I have a 14 yr old who is at classic + and she needed some "good" stuff to use as to not be frustrated anymore! I also have a 10 yr old who is at waist (pretty sure she's coming out of a false terminal, as she didn't really take good care of her hair, but it seems to thrive on neglect as far as curl goes LOL)

I think the Jeterfork stands out at this time because it was my first FORK, I had sticks. Mostly self made or modded. I made some Flexi-8 type (I don't wear them much to be honest) but as far as BUYING this story is it :D

Groovy Granny
March 16th, 2016, 05:23 PM
... is TODAY for me!

I ve bought:
1 acrylic hair stick
1 wooden hair stick
1 horn hair stick
1 wooden hair fork (3p)
1 wooden hair fork (4p)

YAY!!! :joy: :joy: :joy:

It's a very special day for me because it means: I'm a REAL LONGHAIR!!! :cheese::disco::cheer:

Do you remember the day when you've bought your very first longhair hair toy?
I mean, a fork, a flexi-8 (too expensive for me...), a ficcare (wayyy to expensive for me...), a stick...
I'd really love to know... :)

(waiting for the order to arrive... :) )

Yay...congrats; it is such a great feeling :cheer:

My very first proper LHC hair toy was when I joined in September 2013 ~ a flexi 8.
From there I got hooked on Etsy forks ~ leaning toward natural materials (antler, wood etc)

I have yet to buy anything fancy for my hair because I'm scared I'll be excited about it, then won't be able to use it :/ I really would love to get a hair fork, I think forks would work better in my hair than sticks, my hair tends to be rather slippery...

My first sticks were from Eads and Ketylo.
I have slippery hair too and find I grab for them when I want to do a pha bun, braided cinnamon, or center held (LWB).
Forks definitely are a good starter choice; post if you have any questions in a particular toy thread or start your own thread with questions.

I know the feelings......but don't be scared; it makes all the difference in staying motivated and feeling good expressing your own style :)

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 03:45 AM
YAY!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I got them!!!
WONDERFUL!!!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=22068&d=1458294227

They look shorter than they are but it's the angle of the photo. The 4p fork is 5,5" and the acrylic stick 5.3"

mindwiped
March 18th, 2016, 04:40 AM
My first real toy was a RavensLair fork. She's on vacation again, but it is similar to these, but only a single in the 4-5 inch size range.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/205748878/hair-fork-now-in-titanium-the-moirai-the?ref=hp_mod_rf

Congrats on your toys! They look so pretty.

embee
March 18th, 2016, 04:52 AM
Wusel, that's a nice starter set! :)

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 05:39 AM
Thank you!!! Im sooo happy!!! And definitely TMM for today. Too Much Manipulation. Trying all of them with different styles. :joy:

Groovy Granny
March 18th, 2016, 12:28 PM
YAY!!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer: I got them!!!
WONDERFUL!!!

They look shorter than they are but it's the angle of the photo. The 4p fork is 5,5" and the acrylic stick 5.3"

They are beautiful ~ great choices; enjoy :thumbsup:

HoD
March 18th, 2016, 02:26 PM
I wanted something practical and low-key: a short 3-prong walnut Jeter fork. I have since gotten a few things that are a little more sparkly, but that fork still gets a lot of use.

I've been thinking of buying my first real hair toy. I've been watching the swap board for a Jeter. I'm at mid-back and have been wearing it in a braid or down. My scalp seems really sensitive and I'm afraid I won't be comfortable after a couple hours though. Won't know until I try I guess eh!

Complexity
March 18th, 2016, 03:03 PM
I'm super excited to one day have a pretty hair toy, but I'm on a super tight budget at the moment so it hasn't happened yet (probably for the best though -- I can't even figure out how to work a pen/pencil to hold it yet).

Wusel
March 18th, 2016, 04:09 PM
I'm super excited to one day have a pretty hair toy, but I'm on a super tight budget at the moment so it hasn't happened yet (probably for the best though -- I can't even figure out how to work a pen/pencil to hold it yet).

It's not too difficult. I've tried different styles today and it was really worth buying them because it's so good for the hair to put it up with a fork or stick... Much gentler than with a scrunchie like I used to do it.

MlleMC
March 20th, 2016, 09:53 PM
I still haven't bought any, but my mother came to visit today and she brought me a hairstick that she used when she had long hair (a long time ago, I don't even remember seeing her with hair longer that shoulder). It used to come in a pair, but the other one got lost over time. I'm looking forward to all the new styles I'll be able to do now. :)

Wusel
March 21st, 2016, 03:08 AM
I still haven't bought any, but my mother came to visit today and she brought me a hairstick that she used when she had long hair (a long time ago, I don't even remember seeing her with hair longer that shoulder). It used to come in a pair, but the other one got lost over time. I'm looking forward to all the new styles I'll be able to do now. :)

Why did she cut her hair and when? Do you know this?

MlleMC
March 21st, 2016, 07:26 AM
Why did she cut her hair and when? Do you know this?

I don't know exactly, but I'm guessing that it had something to do with having four little children. That and the fact that long hair wasn't exactly in at the time (early 90s). Now she's experimenting different things to keep it healthier, but I don't think she plans ever growing it past shoulder anymore. It's a gorgeous salt and pepper colour though.

Zesty
March 21st, 2016, 07:57 AM
I've been thinking of buying my first real hair toy. I've been watching the swap board for a Jeter. I'm at mid-back and have been wearing it in a braid or down. My scalp seems really sensitive and I'm afraid I won't be comfortable after a couple hours though. Won't know until I try I guess eh!

Many recommend working your way up to a full day if you're not used to bunning. I wore my hair down always until I found the LHC, and at first I got headaches. I just took it down until it dissipated and then back up. Also a good way to practice if you're redoing it a few times a day -- when you have the technique down and you're doing it right it shouldn't be uncomfortable, and repetition is the way to get it right!

I don't remember the day I bought my first pair of sticks. I remember trying to get the hang of them though, and having my bun fall out at inopportune moments. :lol: Thankfully I got the hang of it before too long.