PDA

View Full Version : Random smaller strands

CreatureBailey
March 14th, 2016, 09:55 PM
So I noticed that on the back of my head I have random smaller strands of hair. My hair are at hip length and I have random strands (small ones tho) that are like half this length....

Like I don't think mistreated my hair to the point where I end up having entire small strands broken....could this be...new growth...??? from new thickness?

Am I the only one? What is it, exactly?

lillielil
March 14th, 2016, 10:00 PM
I think this is pretty normal. It is either new growth (hairs all have to start somewhere!) or you could have some sections with shorter terminal lengths.

CreatureBailey
March 14th, 2016, 10:12 PM
or you could have some sections with shorter terminal lengths.

D:

Nuuuuuu

Want huge terminal length everywhere x)

lillielil
March 14th, 2016, 10:38 PM
Sorry. I have nape hairs that never get longer than 6 to 8 inches.

CreatureBailey
March 14th, 2016, 10:46 PM
My nape hair is getting long too. Don't know until where, but it's very welcomed as an addition to Bailey. (My hair).

Frankenstein
March 14th, 2016, 10:56 PM
I think I read here that if the strands are tapered at the end, it indicates newer growth; if the ends are more blunt looking, it could be breakage (correct me if I'm wrong on this one). I have a ton of shorter flyaway hairs at various lengths but they're mostly new growth so I try to just ignore them.

CreatureBailey
March 14th, 2016, 11:37 PM
I think I read here that if the strands are tapered at the end, it indicates newer growth;

Ohhhhh interesting. :3 So maybe I do have new growth! Like actual strands adding up to my mane. :O Like..as in my hair is getting thicker. O.O

Shelley48
March 15th, 2016, 02:05 AM
it's impossible to keep every single hair one length (sadly :() Daily wear and tear will break hair once in a while. and some hairs are just at different growing cycles.

Wusel
March 15th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Sorry. I have nape hairs that never get longer than 6 to 8 inches.

Me too. And the hairs on my front hairline left and right from my nose have a Terminal length of 3 inches or so. But, who cares. I don't.

Arctic
March 15th, 2016, 02:55 AM
it's impossible to keep every single hair one length (sadly :() Daily wear and tear will break hair once in a while. and some hairs are just at different growing cycles.

It's not sad, it's good thing. Otherwise when you would shed, all the heairs would shed at the same time, so every X years you would go bald and start re-growing from the scracth :) Each and every hair has it's own cycle.

Confirming Frankenstein's description: new growth (versus broken hair or cut hair) has very long, finely tapering tip, before the hair reaches it full thickness. They are very easy to recognize. They also feel nice and smooth, where-as breakage feels usually rough and cut hair feels blunt and stops abruptly.

lapushka
March 15th, 2016, 07:43 AM
I just had a look at my hair last night, and it was riddled with tiny hairs of shorter lengths. Tooootally normal! :flower:

Anje
March 15th, 2016, 08:29 AM
Totally normal. Everyone has this to some extent, but you need at least a few inches of hair for it to be noticeable. Hairs coming in to replace ones you've shed have to grow, so they don't reach all the way down yet.

CreatureBailey
March 15th, 2016, 12:19 PM
It does sound like it's new growth. :) Alright new growth of Bailey, I'm sorry I was doubting you. You're welcomed on my head. I love y'all.

Shelley48
March 15th, 2016, 01:51 PM
It's not sad, it's good thing. Otherwise when you would shed, all the heairs would shed at the same time, so every X years you would go bald and start re-growing from the scracth :) Each and every hair has it's own cycle

oh! Never thought of it that way! :) makes sense!