PDA

View Full Version : 3-Strand Rope Braid

Simsy
March 14th, 2016, 08:21 PM
So I have far too much time to think about hair some days. ;) Driving along one afternoon, I starting thinking about Rope braids, which leads to braids generally having 3 strands, which lands me with the idea of a 3-strand rope braid. 2 days to think it over and work out hair condition, and I am currently wearing a 3-strand rope braid. I have pulled it up into a braided lazy wrap because I only have a fork at work at the moment.

Has anyone ever tried something similar? Is 3-strand Rope braids a thing at all?

Overall, 3-strand looks thinner, but appears to have lots more hair than the 2-strand. I'll try and post a photo later if I can work how.

HeartofHaleth
March 14th, 2016, 08:24 PM
So I have far too much time to think about hair some days. ;) Driving along one afternoon, I starting thinking about Rope braids, which leads to braids generally having 3 strands, which lands me with the idea of a 3-strand rope braid. 2 days to think it over and work out hair condition, and I am currently wearing a 3-strand rope braid. I have pulled it up into a braided lazy wrap because I only have a fork at work at the moment.

Has anyone ever tried something similar? Is 3-strand Rope braids a thing at all?

Overall, 3-strand looks thinner, but appears to have lots more hair than the 2-strand. I'll try and post a photo later if I can work how.

When I first learned about rope braids, it was in the Klutz book of braids, where it was done with three strands. I never tried it, but later on I tried the two-strand variety (once I learned about them).

Simsy
March 14th, 2016, 08:34 PM
That's interesting. Every rope braid I have ever found was 2 strands only. Maybe I was looking in the wrong place.

meteor
March 14th, 2016, 08:39 PM
Sounds very interesting! :D I'm having trouble imagining what technique specifically was used, especially without photos... :) Is it anything like in this video? (from 4:53: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri1CQ68LiLA)

Colochita
March 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
Maybe they're different, but I thought of 3-strand twists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kx6nsbyPMj0

They were popular a couple years ago.

Simsy
March 14th, 2016, 08:50 PM
I think so. I'll have to post a photo when I get home.

Anje
March 14th, 2016, 09:13 PM
When I first learned about rope braids, it was in the Klutz book of braids, where it was done with three strands. I never tried it, but later on I tried the two-strand variety (once I learned about them).

Klutz taught me how to braid! So yeah, I started doing rope braids with 3 stands. They look fuller to me that way, though I don't care for ropes in my own hair that much. They don't like to stay even when I finish them over my shoulder.

lillielil
March 14th, 2016, 09:15 PM
Another vote for Klutz! I rocked so many high, multi-braided side ponytails back in the day.

Simsy
March 14th, 2016, 10:02 PM
Ok, either a photo or a link is below. I now have an album for hair photos. 3-strand rope braid is there if anyone would like to look. Safe to say, I haven't worked out how to comment with photos yet.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12728&attachmentid=22015

Quixii
March 15th, 2016, 01:14 AM
I did a three strand rope braid on my sister once.
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=18283&d=1438315795
It was rather similar to your thought process; "Gosh, rope braids are always two stranded. What happens if I just try to do it with three?"

If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure it looks different enough from a two strand rope braid to warrant the added difficulty, but it was fun to do anyway. :)

Simsy
March 15th, 2016, 06:33 AM
If I'm completely honest, I'm not sure it looks different enough from a two strand rope braid to warrant the added difficulty, but it was fun to do anyway. :)

It made my hair look thinner and longer in the coils, but you are right. Too much work for a reward I can get by other methods. As a fun hair style experiment, and a mental exercise, it certainly entertained me for a while.

Also, the braid in your pic, wow😍, so looking forward to length like that.

Simsy
March 15th, 2016, 06:39 AM
Klutz taught me how to braid! So yeah, I started doing rope braids with 3 stands. They look fuller to me that way, though I don't care for ropes in my own hair that much. They don't like to stay even when I finish them over my shoulder.

I have never heard of Klutz. Mum taught me to plait by tying 3 lengths of wool to a bar and practising while driving into town. I taught myself French and Dutch braids by the tangle method on my own hair. I still have trouble turning plaits over when we pull it over one shoulder to finish, but I can braid the back of my own head easy.

meteor
March 15th, 2016, 11:24 AM
It looks so great: Simsy and Quixii! :thumbsup:

Does it hold a bit tighter for you than the 2-strand rope braid? :) I have these 2 problems with rope braids: 1) they don't hold for long (untwisting), and 2) they tend to tangle up my hair on takedown (possibly from twisting and twirling). So I wonder if a 3-strander would help with that? :)
By the way, it's probably possible to do this also with 4, 5 or even more strands - just a bit more fiddly... :hmm:

Simsy
March 15th, 2016, 04:16 PM
It looks so great: Simsy and Quixii! :thumbsup:

Does it hold a bit tighter for you than the 2-strand rope braid? :) I have these 2 problems with rope braids: 1) they don't hold for long (untwisting), and 2) they tend to tangle up my hair on takedown (possibly from twisting and twirling). So I wonder if a 3-strander would help with that? :)
By the way, it's probably possible to do this also with 4, 5 or even more strands - just a bit more fiddly... :hmm:

I think 4 or 5 strands might be a bit much for me :)

It didn't hold the twist as well as a 2-strand once the end was released. That said, my curl pattern means rope braids work rather well on my hair and I'm using 3rd day hair to try it. Twisting small sections while wrapping might help. When I took it down, I had 3 thick ringlets which is my hair when it decides to behave anyway.

Joys of thick ringlets 😒

Kat
March 15th, 2016, 09:07 PM
Does it hold a bit tighter for you than the 2-strand rope braid? :)

Perhaps?

Here's the thing: I was never able to understand how rope braids work until I learned to spin yarn and then I suddenly "got" it-- oh, you're just spinning and then plying your hair!

In the world of yarn, a yarn made of 3 plies, rather than 2, will be stronger and more "balanced" (as far as the look of it and the amount of twist in it). Applying this to hair... a 3-strand rope braid might have a "smoother" look (the three strands support each other more than 2 would). How strength of the ply would apply to hair, I'm not sure-- unless maybe you're Rapunzel and the prince is climbing up. :)

meteor
March 15th, 2016, 09:15 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Simsy and Kat! :flowers:
And that ply analogy really helps! Thank you, Kat! :D

Kendrix
March 16th, 2016, 02:25 AM

Oh my gosh! Me too. I didn't know you could do 2 strand until I discovered lhc and I could never do 3 strand. Changed my life.