PDA

View Full Version : ii hair: long hair, thick hemline?

Magalo
March 13th, 2016, 10:50 AM
How do people with ii hair get long hair with a thick hemline? I feel like the thicker haired folk can easily grow to tbl/classic with a thick hemline but my hair just can't. Past hip the new growth is so scraggly. Got it cut blunt last october, but the growth is see through. How do you people with normal thickness do it? Is microtrimming the answer, or do you grow longer then chop?

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 10:57 AM
My mom grew to BSL+ with i/ii (more like i actually, now at least) and I don't think she had much growth beyond that.

About picture taking. It also depends on *how* you take a picture, and how it gets combed out, I guess. ii is a big category as well, and there are some on the iii side, some on the i side. So it can be different depending on who answers.

fiğrildi
March 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I think microtrimming is the answer, yes. Along with genes, but unfortunately we can't control that :wink:

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 11:27 AM
Yes, genes are important too, but I don't buy into what to me is a myth that most people can't grow long hair; that superlengths are the exception. I happen to think most can grow to classic, at least to BSL. I obviously don't have my mom's hair. I have my dad's fine thicker hair.

parkmikii
March 13th, 2016, 11:33 AM
Oh, I fit in here. I too am frustrated with ends getting see through (my ponytail circumference was 8.5 cm a few months ago when I measured it). I basically kept my hair at waist/almost tbl for the past few years in hope the hemline will get thicker but no chance. So now I'm trying to go the no trimming way and see how the ends will look at longer lengths. Maybe they thicken up, maybe they get even thinner, not sure but I'll find out XD
So yes I guess you could try microtrimming and wearing it up a lot in order to minimise the damage, but for some of us it is just the way our hair grows, with a big taper :)

school of fish
March 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Microtrimming is working well for me, very slowly but very surely :)

I'll keep a long story short - I've been microtrimming for a little over 2 years now and my hemline has thickened up considerably. The hemline is now quite blunt (started with a rather scraggly V-ish hem, I foolishly had layers razored in). The see-through ends have gradually traveled downwards, and if my growth continues to progress the way it has been I should be at full 1-length blunt by around the end of 2017 :) To stay sane I've been trying to focus more on how far I've come, rather than how far I have yet to go ;)

For reference, my pony circumference is about 3-1/4" and my length is BCL at 36". When I started microtrimming I'd guess I was somewhere around 32", and my growth rate is 1/2" per month.

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I'm iii, but I chose to have layers, so my ends are a "thinned-out V". I like it that way. Depends on what you want, I guess, but I suppose it's hard when you don't want it that way and are desperate for a blunt even cut.

school of fish
March 13th, 2016, 12:22 PM
^^ Yes to this, depends on what you want :)

In my case, I learned the hard way that blunt ends are more protective for me. My hair is very much a case of 'strength in numbers' - individual strands are really very delicate but the collection of strands altogether is remarkably resilliant, especially given how fine my texture is. When I have layers, especially graduated ones, there aren't as many strands at the ends to protect each other, so they suffer the ravages of damage much more quickly.

So in my case a blunt hemline isn't just a matter of aesthetics, I consider it a type of protective styling as well ;)

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2016, 12:37 PM
It is funny you mentioned that, because I am in your shoes....i/ii - hip, and have been pondering my hemline recently.

Sometimes it seems to be see- through, and I am more aware of it when I do half ups now.

The thought to cut back to waist/MBL has crossed my mind a few times lately, but I quickly cleared my head of them each time:p

I am now micro-trimming to maintain at HIP, so time will tell if it makes a difference.

Subscribing :popcorn:

Good luck :cheer:

maskedrose
March 13th, 2016, 12:39 PM
For me it's a question of damage and layer grow-out. My circumference is 3.5" and I'm a finey. I've been stuck in the midback-hip range for YEARS because I kept having to cut back due to thin, damaged ends. I've cut out all of the bleach damage and now trimming out Sun-In, harsh east coast winter damage, and the remainder of layers, but the quality of my hemline has already improved dramatically. I'm now about 2" from BCL and my hemline is holding up pretty well. I'm going to maintain once I get to BCL, but I fully expect to have a relatively thick, blunt U shaped hemline in another year or so.

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 01:52 PM
maskedrose, judging from your signature, your hemline is just fine and very thick at that. :flower:

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 01:54 PM
^^ Yes to this, depends on what you want :)

In my case, I learned the hard way that blunt ends are more protective for me. My hair is very much a case of 'strength in numbers' - individual strands are really very delicate but the collection of strands altogether is remarkably resilliant, especially given how fine my texture is. When I have layers, especially graduated ones, there aren't as many strands at the ends to protect each other, so they suffer the ravages of damage much more quickly.

So in my case a blunt hemline isn't just a matter of aesthetics, I consider it a type of protective styling as well ;)

I find it so hard to get my darn blunt ends in updos well, that and the weight of the blunt cut, at waist, made me decide to layer it up. Everyone's mileage varies on that.

And depending on how it laid, even my ends could be see through (when it was blunt still).

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2016, 01:58 PM
maskedrose, judging from your signature, your hemline is just fine and very thick at that. :flower:

I find it so hard to get my darn blunt ends in updos well, that and the weight of the blunt cut, at waist, made me decide to layer it up. Everyone's mileage varies on that.

And depending on how it laid, even my ends could be see through (when it was blunt still).

I agree with Lapushka....and seeing your wurly ends, perhaps like me....you are just seeing normal curl parting?
Plus being fine, my hair doesn't lay in a thick heap ....lol......I don't know how to explain it!

LongCurlyTress
March 13th, 2016, 02:58 PM
I really share your wanting a nice thick even hemline!! I have layers growing out in the last 4ish inches of my length and it does get frustrating that those thinner old layered ends do have holes and seem thinner then the rest of my length. I am often sectioning off my length, Faye's Trimming style and tempted to just chop off the thinner part of the hemline... but then my rational self starts talking... lol.. and I realize I would be chopping off about a year's growth so then I just put it back into a bun and try to forgetaboutit. I feel for you as I am also experiencing the same thing and I am a iii 4 inch thickness and still share your frustrations!! :blossom:

@Groovy Granny... put down those scissors!! :eyebrows:

maskedrose
March 13th, 2016, 03:33 PM

Thank you :flower: It really depends on the day. My siggy is a freshly washed, so lots of body and fluffiness, which lends to a nice looking hemline. My day 7 hemline looks entirely different. But, like I said, I think once the rest of the damage is trimmed out it really will be fairly thick to the ends, rather than the optical illusion that it currently is!

Anje
March 13th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I'd love to know myself. My hair is about 3" in circumference, having thickened up after being about 2.5" for ages, but it still tapers substantially. Years of maintaining at tailbone or trimming back to TB a few times a year never really changed that. I finally decided just to let it grow and fairytale, and I'll bet it's thicker now at tailbone with wispy ends reaching past classic than it was when I was maintaining at TB.

LongCurlyTress
March 13th, 2016, 04:58 PM
I'd love to know myself. My hair is about 3" in circumference, having thickened up after being about 2.5" for ages, but it still tapers substantially. Years of maintaining at tailbone or trimming back to TB a few times a year never really changed that. I finally decided just to let it grow and fairytale, and I'll bet it's thicker now at tailbone with wispy ends reaching past classic than it was when I was maintaining at TB.

Great encouraging advice based on experience!! Thanks Anje! :cool:

Groovy Granny
March 13th, 2016, 06:19 PM
I really share your wanting a nice thick even hemline!! I have layers growing out in the last 4ish inches of my length and it does get frustrating that those thinner old layered ends do have holes and seem thinner then the rest of my length. I am often sectioning off my length, Faye's Trimming style and tempted to just chop off the thinner part of the hemline... but then my rational self starts talking... lol.. and I realize I would be chopping off about a year's growth so then I just put it back into a bun and try to forgetaboutit. I feel for you as I am also experiencing the same thing and I am a iii 4 inch thickness and still share your frustrations!! :blossom:

@Groovy Granny... put down those scissors!! :eyebrows:

LOL no worries...I am not going shorter, and I may even edge a bit longer.
Shhhh....don't tell anyone :wink:
I'll see once I am solidly into/coming out of hip this Summer.
My curls explode in the humidity; that and the weight will determine my final length.
I have been struggling with a lot of headaches recently, and it has been hard containing my hair in a way that puts no tension on my scalp :shrug:

Saige
March 13th, 2016, 06:27 PM
I'm a ii and my hair is about 2 inches away from classic right the moment. I have found that microtrimming helps me keep my ends on the thicker side. I don't bother growing then chopping it off, I don't have the patience to wait for it to grow! I also think genetics has a lot to do it, unfortunately. I am fairly tough on my hair but it doesn't seem to matter. I rarely put it in updo's and I'm rough with it when I comb it. Microtrimming has been my friend!

Silverbrumby
March 13th, 2016, 11:41 PM
How do people with ii hair get long hair with a thick hemline? I feel like the thicker haired folk can easily grow to tbl/classic with a thick hemline but my hair just can't. Past hip the new growth is so scraggly. Got it cut blunt last october, but the growth is see through. How do you people with normal thickness do it? Is microtrimming the answer, or do you grow longer then chop?

I joined this forum about 4 years ago near BSL. Now after trimming only a little, good care and having medium strand hair I, just past BSL. About 1 inch past. And very see through from arm pit length down. With 3.2 ponytail now.

Genetics plays a part and I think most people can grow to BSL. I say probably 90% of women. I think hip is possible for most.

There are these odd ducks with ii hair right in the middle like me who can't seem to even get to waist. It's so odd. A braid that starts thick for the first two bumps. After that it disappears till the last three inches are tiny and then disappears.

I always chime in because I want the odd woman out there with the short terminal to feel okay. It does happen and you aren't always doing something wrong.

Arctic
March 14th, 2016, 12:47 AM
I joined this forum about 4 years ago near BSL. Now after trimming only a little, good care and having medium strand hair I, just past BSL. About 1 inch past. And very see through from arm pit length down. With 3.2 ponytail now.

Genetics plays a part and I think most people can grow to BSL. I say probably 90% of women. I think hip is possible for most.

There are these odd ducks with ii hair right in the middle like me who can't seem to even get to waist. It's so odd. A braid that starts thick for the first two bumps. After that it disappears till the last three inches are tiny and then disappears.

I always chime in because I want the odd woman out there with the short terminal to feel okay. It does happen and you aren't always doing something wrong.

It's good that you do chime in. It's been sad to sometimes see members wrapping their mind around that their hair just does not grow, tapers severely after certain length every time -- dispite trying and trying for years and years. It's sad to see the mental stuggle, frustration and disappointment in their hair. Suggesting a possible terminal is like insulting, it seems. It's good to be reminded that shorter terminal is not the end of the world (even on Long Hair board) and beautiful hair that one can enjoy comes in all shapes, sizes, colours, textures and lengths.

Your hair is very pretty and I always love to see your photos. I think BSL is rather long, that's approximately my goal length too, if I'd be forced to name goals.

(I have no cotribution to the original question, I've never grown longer than BSL myself.)

Silverbrumby
March 14th, 2016, 01:07 AM
Awww thanks Arctic. ;)

yahirwaO.o
March 14th, 2016, 01:21 AM
Me too!. Im on the lower side of ii and for about a year of micro trimming, keeping at APL and seeing a huge improvement, I've just realized my hair likes to taper and be medusa tentacles. For me growing very long hair would mean an unpleasant ratty mess, that's why, for now I prefer that limbo area between APL and BSL. Sure its great to see my ponies-braids get thicker and such but I feel kinda bored and I want more length to match my body and behave better to sit down my back.

I will continue with micro trimming for another year but thickness can take the longest to reach the ends however it can be done for your hair!

... and somehow I have trained myself that longer than mid back would be a pain for me to keep because of the fairy tails going on, my terminal lenght is about there to make me feel confident!

Theobroma
March 14th, 2016, 07:18 AM

I'll let you know when I find out. :)

I've always had taper, and growing longer and chopping has never, ever worked for me. So now I'm trying the microtrimming route. I actually think it's working, but I'm at classic and growing out massive taper from losing 40% of my thickness to a disastrous CO-washing infatuation, so I expect it'll be at least three or four more years before I can tell for sure.

Agnes Hannah
March 14th, 2016, 03:38 PM
My hair is very fine, it is currently almost TB if I include my racer hairs! I have taper. My plan is to grow down to classic, then maintain until the hemline thickens up. It might take a while, but that's ok as I will have reached my goal length. (Disclaimer, I may change my mind and grow longer with fairytale ends!!)

Magalo
March 14th, 2016, 04:25 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. I see that I'm not the only one with this dylemma. :) I guess I should just ignore the feathering until I get to TBL then maintain for a year or so. Because I've been chopping and growing for almost 2 years and it barely seem to get better!

lithostoic
March 14th, 2016, 05:28 PM
I hope I can achieve this as well. 3" ponytail circumference and my ends tend to be much thinner.

Theobroma
March 15th, 2016, 03:51 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I see that I'm not the only one with this dylemma. :) I guess I should just ignore the feathering until I get to TBL then maintain for a year or so. Because I've been chopping and growing for almost 2 years and it barely seem to get better!

If it's any comfort, I find that in the real world, nobody but me cares about my taper anyway. My hair is usually up so not many people even know how long it is, but everyone who has seen it down has been impressed by the length and totally indifferent to the thinness of the ends. I once actually pointed it out to someone and their only response was to give me a look that seemed to say "what on earth are you talking about?"

In general, the idea that good hair equals non-tapering hair is a phenomenon confined to online hair forums. So I wouldn't let it bug me too much. :)

lapushka
March 15th, 2016, 07:35 AM
I don't think it honestly matters too too much, if you don't wear your hair down a lot. I don't mind my taper at all, but that's because my hair is only down at night and it's up in a bun during my waking hours. Nobody sees my ends, not even me. :lol:

Theobroma
March 15th, 2016, 09:58 AM
My point was that, in my experience, nobody outside the longhair forums seems to think that taper is any reason to hide your ends at all.

Arctic
March 15th, 2016, 10:04 AM
My point was that, in my experience, nobody outside the longhair forums seems to think that taper is any reason to hide your ends at all.

I agree with you to a point. The exception I had in mind are cultural beauty standards. I have heard, that for example in Russia an untapered braid is something to be pursued and valued. Probably similar cultural preferences can be found elsewhere too.

turtlelover
March 16th, 2016, 01:24 AM
I do not mind taper unless the ends get visibly see through. Then I would have to trim. Fairytale ends do not appeal to me, sadly.

LongCurlyTress
March 16th, 2016, 10:12 AM
LOL no worries...I am not going shorter, and I may even edge a bit longer.
Shhhh....don't tell anyone :wink:
I'll see once I am solidly into/coming out of hip this Summer.
My curls explode in the humidity; that and the weight will determine my final length.
I have been struggling with a lot of headaches recently, and it has been hard containing my hair in a way that puts no tension on my scalp :shrug:
So sorry! I didn't see your response, GG until just now... Sorry to hear that you are getting some headaches... no fun.. I seem to get them if I wear a higher bun than nape or a bit higher, but yours might be from a cold? Do you ever just do a nape length english braid or a low side braid without a part? That seems to help distribute the weight a bit better. I hate it when individual hairs pull on my scalp and have to adjust my buns/braids until that doesnt happen. All kinds of strange things start to happen as our hair grows...

Happy to hear you have no intentions of cutting. Good job. Keep on grow'in!! ;)

Caraid♫
March 16th, 2016, 10:37 AM
My hair is ii thickness- my hair used to be tbl and I was able to keep a pretty thick hemline. microtrims are good for keeping things in check, but slowly after a while (just because some hairs grow faster than others and other factors) the ends still get thinner over time because your microtrims are only cutting a small amount of the hairs (because the majority of your hairs are shorter than you are trimming). So I found that once in a blue moon, it's really important to trim back a good solid 2 or 3 inches or so so that your hemline is reset at a thicker point. It will slowly thin out again as you continue to microtrim, but the next time you do a "re-set" trim it'll still be at a longer point than the last one. That was my most successful strategy at least!

school of fish
March 16th, 2016, 10:47 AM
My hair is ii thickness- my hair used to be tbl and I was able to keep a pretty thick hemline. microtrims are good for keeping things in check, but slowly after a while (just because some hairs grow faster than others and other factors) the ends still get thinner over time because your microtrims are only cutting a small amount of the hairs (because the majority of your hairs are shorter than you are trimming). So I found that once in a blue moon, it's really important to trim back a good solid 2 or 3 inches or so so that your hemline is reset at a thicker point. It will slowly thin out again as you continue to microtrim, but the next time you do a "re-set" trim it'll still be at a longer point than the last one. That was my most successful strategy at least!

^^ Yes to this!! I find exactly the same thing, and you've articulated it so well! Every so often I seem to need a larger cut to 'reset' the bluntness of my hemline, even in spite of monthly microtrims. The whole appearance of my hair benefits from this, not just the hemline :D

Of course it means a longer road to goal, but honestly I want my own road to feel pretty along the way, not just at the finish line ;)

morrigan*
March 16th, 2016, 10:52 AM
I have tapered hem, and try to accept is as it is. With regular trims i didn't gain a lot of length since joining, so i decided to leave it alone for a while since ends seem healthy and rather maintain when i reach goal. It also helps that my hair is wavy so it's not so noticeable when down.

Groovy Granny
March 16th, 2016, 11:11 AM
So sorry! I didn't see your response, GG until just now... Sorry to hear that you are getting some headaches... no fun.. I seem to get them if I wear a higher bun than nape or a bit higher, but yours might be from a cold? Do you ever just do a nape length english braid or a low side braid without a part? That seems to help distribute the weight a bit better. I hate it when individual hairs pull on my scalp and have to adjust my buns/braids until that doesnt happen. All kinds of strange things start to happen as our hair grows...

Happy to hear you have no intentions of cutting. Good job. Keep on grow'in!! ;)
No problems; I haven't been around much anyway ~

Yes I often wear loose/nape ponies, or braids...especially to sleep...then I just flip it over my pillow was I turn.
I must say that in spite of 10 hours at the ER and 3 scans, my low pony held well, was comfy, had no snarls!
The only issue with braids is that mine aren't all that thick, and in my 'wear hair down seasons' they leave weird waves underneath when I'd like to do half ups.
But it has been very well behaved this week; I was even thinking of skipping my micro trim this weekend (but won't), and certainly won't be cutting :wink:

That makes perfect sense :thumbsup:

How often is (or was lol) your BLUE MOON for a 2-3 inch snip?

LongCurlyTress
March 16th, 2016, 12:08 PM
No problems; I haven't been around much anyway ~ was sick all last week with the headaches and then got progressively worse with weakness and shortness of breath.
My blood pressure was through the roof as was my pulse, so I went to the ER and was busy at the hospital having tests the past 2 days.
They ruled out heart failure and pulmonary embolism thank God; It seems I am having an atypical asthma flare :shrug:
With all these weather fluctuations here in the Northeast, and there must be some lung changes to have triggered this, because after 30+ years of asthma with serious hospitalizations, I thought sure this was my heart.
But I am home now.....resting with steroids and my nebulizer treatments 4 times a day and am starting to see hints of improvement.
The headaches went and never returned; not sure if they were connected.

OMG!! I am so glad you are well enough for them to send you home, but how frightening for you!! I am glad the nebulizer treatments are working and your headaches left. Good to hear! I am so glad it wasn't your heart. Good!! Get well soon!!!

To answer you....yes I often wear loose/nape ponies, or braids...especially to sleep...then I just flip it over my pillow was I turn.
I must say that in spite of 10 hours at the ER and 3 scans, my low pony held well, was comfy, had no snarls!
The only issue with braids is that mine aren't all that thick, and in my 'wear hair down seasons' they leave weird waves underneath when I'd like to do half ups.
But it has been very well behaved this week; I was even thinking of skipping my micro trim this weekend (but won't), and certainly won't be cutting :wink:

Well that is good that your hair is behaving with all the health stuff you have going on. Obviously, you have trained it well! :cool: I am sure fresh ends will make you feel better. How often do you microtrim? And how much do you trim?

Good question GG. I was wondering myself. Thanks Caraid for sharing your hair growing secrets! :magic:

Groovy Granny
March 16th, 2016, 12:16 PM
OMG!! I am so glad you are well enough for them to send you home, but how frightening for you!! I am glad teh nebulizer treatments are working and your headaches left. Good to hear! I am so glad it wasn't your heart. Good!! Get well soon!!!

Well that is good that your hair is behaving with all the health stuff you have going on. Obviously, you have trained it well! I am sure fresh ends will make you feel better. How often do you microtrim? And how much do you trim?

Good question GG. I was wondering myself.

Ha....you caught my post before I could edit out all the boring/non hair related details :o
Thank you (((hugs)))

I started back in December with the season changes then decided to do it monthly starting last month with each full moon as a reminder ....or restraint lol; just a 1/4 inch.

It was tempting this month to cut back a wee bit as I mentioned before, but I really want to see what hip length looks this Summer with my 'triple volume curl explosions' in the humidity lol
If a bigger snip is decided on I would wait until Fall...I think....at the moment :wink:

ETA: changed my mind possibly overnight :p

New plan I am considering: #2369 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468&page=237&p=3190650&viewfull=1#post3190650)

In doing the braid bump count I realized my fringe is a few inches from my hemline, and possibly the reason why I have been trying to discern if my ends were thinning because they looked a bit 'see through'.

I had begun micro trims monthly to reach a full hip/tailbone length, but am now considering a seasonal 'snip' (1 inch+) beginning with Spring.

A 3 inch snip will take me back to waist and really thicken my hemline.

I have a short torso, so hip will be in reach again by the end of Summer if I just dust my ends going forward.
My fringe is my last layer; the other new growth will just blend in.

My new protocol would be seasonal 'snips' (1+ inches) and monthly dustings on the full moon ~ regrowing to and maintaining @ hip.

Hmmmm decisions lol

ETA: 2 hours later I am back at waist and HAPPY (snipped 2.5") :joy:
The very last layer (fringe) is GONE ....and my hemline is THICK :happydance:

I plan continue to do monthly dustings and maintain between waist and hip; that seems to be the perfect length/method for ME. :thumbsup:

Caraid♫
March 17th, 2016, 12:08 PM
^^ Yes to this!! I find exactly the same thing, and you've articulated it so well! Every so often I seem to need a larger cut to 'reset' the bluntness of my hemline, even in spite of monthly microtrims. The whole appearance of my hair benefits from this, not just the hemline :D

Of course it means a longer road to goal, but honestly I want my own road to feel pretty along the way, not just at the finish line ;)
I agree, it's worth the "setbacks" in the long run for sure! It's what I plan on doing as I re-grow all over again!

I would say once a year (while having been microtrimming every 2 months along the way)
I'm a bit scissor happy I guess! but I swear my hair gives the allusion of growing faster this way! (I think it's just an illusion because to me my hair looks longer with a thicker hemline, I'm sure it doesn't actually grow faster) And I found I was discouraged with my hair's appearance whenever I would try to get away with minimal trimming. :)

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2016, 12:33 PM
I agree, it's worth the "setbacks" in the long run for sure! It's what I plan on doing as I re-grow all over again!

I would say once a year (while having been microtrimming every 2 months along the way)
I'm a bit scissor happy I guess! but I swear my hair gives the allusion of growing faster this way! (I think it's just an illusion because to me my hair looks longer with a thicker hemline, I'm sure it doesn't actually grow faster) And I found I was discouraged with my hair's appearance whenever I would try to get away with minimal trimming. :)

I see :thumbsup:
Well as you can see in my post before yours....I decided to 'snip' ....2.5 inches worth lol; my last fringe layer, and it feels GREAT :D
Now I will dust monthly while I hover around hip again...if it doesn't need it I won't.... and will do 'snips' at the seasonal changes to freshen my hemline IF it is starting to bug me.
Now that I see what a 'snip' does while keeping a nice length...I'm a happy camper :joy:

Your hair is gorgeous at ANY length girl :thud:

MsBubbles
March 17th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I concur. Nothing but fine hair here - no medium strands - and a ii circumference. I seem to have a hemline at waist (30 ish inches - long torso), but by hip (36 ish inches), it's all in bits! I might be able to get it more hemliney-looking at hip if I were super diligent about avoiding mechanical damage and wearing it up all the time, but I don't want to wear it up all the time, and I'm kind of over the full-hemline thing and am embracing the fairy tale ends. Also, my hair is SO flyaway, it never stays down in a collective hemline anyway!

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2016, 12:49 PM
I find rosewater and glycerin spritzes add a wee bit of texture and it tames my flyaways.

Caraid♫
March 17th, 2016, 12:55 PM
I see :thumbsup:
Well as you can see in my post before yours....I decided to 'snip' ....2.5 inches worth lol; my last fringe layer, and it feels GREAT :D
Now I will dust monthly while I hover around hip again...if it doesn't need it I won't.... and will do 'snips' at the seasonal changes to freshen my hemline IF it is starting to bug me.
Now that I see what a 'snip' does while keeping a nice length...I'm a happy camper :joy:

Your hair is gorgeous at ANY length girl :thud:
I can't believe your hair is that long now! I remember when it was so much shorter! :D it's crazy how time flies when you take a little time away from the board!
And I totally agree with what your saying- my trimming schedule is just a rough guideline of how it tends to work out. I dont have a strict schedule or anything; if a year is up since my last big trim but I'm totally happy with it I wouldn't necessarily trim just from the heck of it! sounds like your hair is coming along great!! :D
thank you!!
ETA, just visited your profile to see iif I could catch a glimpse of how much it's grown- WOW! it looks incredible!! (refering to your profile pic)

Groovy Granny
March 17th, 2016, 01:01 PM
I can't believe your hair is that long now! I remember when it was so much shorter! :D it's crazy how time flies when you take a little time away from the board!
And I totally agree with what your saying- my trimming schedule is just a rough guideline of how it tends to work out. I dont have a strict schedule or anything; if a year is up since my last big trim but I'm totally happy with it I wouldn't necessarily trim just from the heck of it! sounds like your hair is coming along great!! :D
thank you!!

ROFLOL...I know right?!
When we met I was at CHIN length :p
I have a short torso, so even with trims and small cuts of layers it grew very fast!
It does feel great to be happy and have a plan in place; take it or leave it as you see fit.
Every day is a treat using a pretty hair toy with a different style....no bad hair days :thumbsup:
My hair toy collection became a hobby; I have a bit of everything and it is complete...but I will buy something real special for my 65th birthday in January!
Long hair is such a joy; I never imagined I'd see this at 64+ :joy:
I doubt could have done it without your support and inspiration......and the other great gals here too :flowers:

LongCurlyTress
March 19th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Ha....you caught my post before I could edit out all the boring/non hair related details
Thank you (((hugs)))

I started back in December with the season changes then decided to do it monthly starting last month with each full moon as a reminder ....or restraint lol; just a 1/4 inch.

It was tempting this month to cut back a wee bit as I mentioned before, but I really want to see what hip length looks this Summer with my 'triple volume curl explosions' in the humidity lol
If a bigger snip is decided on I would wait until Fall...I think....at the moment :wink:

ETA: changed my mind possibly overnight

New plan I am considering: #2369 (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=75468&page=237&p=3190650&viewfull=1#post3190650)

ETA: 2 hours later I am back at waist and HAPPY (snipped 2.5") :joy:
The very last layer (fringe) is GONE ....and my hemline is THICK :happydance:

I plan continue to do monthly dustings and maintain between waist and hip; that seems to be the perfect length/method for ME.

ROFLOL...I know right?!
When we met I was at CHIN length :p
I have a short torso, so even with trims and small cuts of layers it grew very fast!
It does feel great to be happy and have a plan in place; take it or leave it as you see fit.
Every day is a treat using a pretty hair toy with a different style....no bad hair days :thumbsup:
My hair toy collection became a hobby; I have a bit of everything and it is complete...but I will buy something real special for my 65th birthday in January!
Long hair is such a joy; I never imagined I'd see this at 64+ :joy:
I doubt could have done it without your support and inspiration......and the other great gals here too :flowers:

Wow GG!!! I am so happy for you that your fringe is now a part of your even hemline!! Woot! Woot! Woot! That calls for a huuuuuge congratulations!! Now to grow!! It seems like those with very long hair do just this... grow to a goal length, then cut out layers, grow to a new goal, then cut out layers until their hemline looks all even. Congrats again! You did it!! :joy: I bet your hemline feels so thick and healthy!! Yay!! :cheer:

maborosi
March 19th, 2016, 10:18 AM
My hemline is considerably thick for ii, I think (see sigpic). I make sure to do a hemline trim at least once a year to keep it straight.
I do regular S&D to make sure that my hair doesn't become difficult to manage at the ends.

Groovy Granny
March 19th, 2016, 11:43 AM
Wow GG!!! I am so happy for you that your fringe is now a part of your even hemline!! Woot! Woot! Woot! That calls for a huuuuuge congratulations!! Now to grow!! It seems like those with very long hair do just this... grow to a goal length, then cut out layers, grow to a new goal, then cut out layers until their hemline looks all even. Congrats again! You did it!! :joy: I bet your hemline feels so thick and healthy!! Yay!! :cheer:
Thank you ~ you are very sweet :flowers:
Yes I am so very happy....3+ years ago I was so unsure I could grow it out at my age and look right, be accepted etc etc etc......such silly insecurities :o
Now I am at goal and am thrilled; it is so much fun styling....and more importantly ...at almost 65 I AM HAPPY TO BE ME AND EXPRESSING MYSELF IN THIS WAY :happydance:
I will gravitate toward hip again (only a couple inches away) and float in between that and waist.
Longer lengths are not for me..... that I am sure of by the 'feel' I get when at waist/hip.
Thanks for your support (and all the LHC gals) ; it means more than you could ever know!

My hemline is considerably thick for ii, I think (see sigpic). I make sure to do a hemline trim at least once a year to keep it straight.
I do regular S&D to make sure that my hair doesn't become difficult to manage at the ends.

Your hair is gorgeous :thud:

maborosi
March 20th, 2016, 01:24 PM
Thank you, GroovyGranny!!
(also I love your new avatar!!)

MsBubbles
March 20th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Just curious...several of you have f/m listed as your hair types. What is that like? How much of your hair is M? Do you have a mix of fine and medium strands?

Mine are all F. Perhaps if I had some medium strands I wouldn't have this ratty hemline problem as much.

Groovy Granny
March 20th, 2016, 02:39 PM
Thank you, GroovyGranny!!
(also I love your new avatar!!)
LOL Thank you :wink:

Just curious...several of you have f/m listed as your hair types. What is that like? How much of your hair is M? Do you have a mix of fine and medium strands?

Mine are all F. Perhaps if I had some medium strands I wouldn't have this ratty hemline problem as much.

My silver is very fine (80%+), and whatever dark blonde hair I have left is more medium.

It's not always easy having both....they each have a life of their own :p

The silver is more curly and flyaway/whispie, while the dark is heavier and sleek.

It is what it is...we just do the best with what we have been given :shrug:

Moonfall
March 23rd, 2016, 02:54 PM
I would love, love to have a thick hemline. It is what I've been wishing for ever since I was little. Unfortunately, I've always had trouble keeping it thick. When I was younger, my mom used to make sure the ends didn't get too thin by making me visit a stylist who always cut my hair back to BSL. I hated being thrown back to that length every single time, and as I got older, I decided not to go there anymore. It has been about four years since my last visit. Only my partner is allowed to trim off some of the ends every now and then, and I make sure to S&D every week.

I am not proud of how my ends look right now Because I have never been :( able to get past BSL without getting tapered ends despite taking good care of my hair, I am worried this could be my terminal length. I really hope this is not the case. I am now trying to see whether this is true by not trimming for some time. I have also started to wear my hair up some time ago, which is something I do every day now. Besides protecting my hair, it is also an excellent way to hide my ends. :D

http://s10.postimg.org/4i0q1yn6x/20160319_223616_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Oh, and I saw some of you mentioned having fine hair which could be the reason for a relatively thin hemline. My hairs are all very coarse (I got it tested). So I guess that even with coarse hair, a thick hemline doesn't always come naturally. :(

Groovy Granny
March 23rd, 2016, 03:27 PM
Your hair color and wave is very pretty :)

While you do have some taper it is gradual.... and seems more 'fairy tale' to me.

But I know how even a little thinness can feel, having to cut out my own thin ends from layers.

Monthly micro trims may be the way to go .....and we can hope that thickness travels down :cheer:

maborosi
March 24th, 2016, 12:48 AM

I would say mine are probably like 3/4 F and 1/4 M, or closer to 1/2 and 1/2. My hair used to be pretty much all F. But I always have to maintain my hemline or it gets really stringy looking/ very fairytaled.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Slightly offtopic, but statistically we have "too many" members with Fine hair as their hair type here at the LHC. And way too little Coarse haired members. It's highly likely that lot of people are mis-hairtyping themselves, and quite a few of the F-members shouls be in the M camp, and some M members should be in C camp. (I did not take the inbetween types into account, but I think it would still imply the same.)

fiğrildi
March 24th, 2016, 07:40 AM
Slightly offtopic, but statistically we have "too many" members with Fine hair as their hair type here at the LHC. And way too little Coarse haired members. It's highly likely that lot of people are mis-hairtyping themselves, and quite a few of the F-members shouls be in the M camp, and some M members should be in C camp. (I did not take the inbetween types into account, but I think it would still imply the same.)

I think you're right about the mis-hairtyping. Most of my hair (maybe close to 70-ish%) is M, while the rest is F. Then, I have a small percentage of C hairs (3-5%). I guess I could include myself into the M camp, but then I would be ignoring lots of F strands I have. And my M hairs lean more towards the thinner side of M.

Arctic
March 24th, 2016, 07:58 AM
I think you're right about the mis-hairtyping. Most of my hair (maybe close to 70-ish%) is M, while the rest is F. Then, I have a small percentage of C hairs (3-5%). I guess I could include myself into the M camp, but then I would be ignoring lots of F strands I have. And my M hairs lean more towards the thinner side of M.

Yes, that's why I didn't count the inbetween types. Many people do have mixed hairtypes. I am "mistyped" or "misleadingly typed" too, I have M in my profile but I have M, C and some F too.

Yet still, there should be a Gaussian bell curve of members, whereas now the membership is leaning heavily on the F side of things.

Laur
March 24th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I've struggled with taper as long as I've been growing my hair - though it seems worse at longer lengths, and is particularly bad right now as I'm growing out the layerered cut I had in 2014. But I'm trying the no-trimming club for this year, to see if I can get down past TBL or close to Classic. I never seemed to have a problem with my ends as a child - great hemlines - but I was much shorter, and receiving regular haircuts to keep my hair at around BSL back then. I could probably maintain at BSL or Waist with a decent hemline now, but I want it to be longer!

My hair is just past hip right now, and the ends are very thin compared to the part next to my head. My hair is mixed F/M, and right in the middle of ii (just under 3" ponytail ... at my head).

Zebra Fish
March 24th, 2016, 02:46 PM
First: WOW maborosi! That hair! I remember the pics when it was half!

And then: I'm also here (6,5 cm) and have troubles with hemline. I was maintaining at waist for over a year, then cut back sth during fall. In the end I'm doing the no trimming chalenge coz, as my SO said, I tried it all, cant hurt to try sth different. Will see how it looks after a year. My ends are in a deep V atm. Quite sure other ppl don't notice it, but to me it is too thin :p

Silverbrumby
March 24th, 2016, 02:50 PM
I would love, love to have a thick hemline. It is what I've been wishing for ever since I was little. Unfortunately, I've always had trouble keeping it thick. When I was younger, my mom used to make sure the ends didn't get too thin by making me visit a stylist who always cut my hair back to BSL. I hated being thrown back to that length every single time, and as I got older, I decided not to go there anymore. It has been about four years since my last visit. Only my partner is allowed to trim off some of the ends every now and then, and I make sure to S&D every week.

I am not proud of how my ends look right now Because I have never been :( able to get past BSL without getting tapered ends despite taking good care of my hair, I am worried this could be my terminal length. I really hope this is not the case. I am now trying to see whether this is true by not trimming for some time. I have also started to wear my hair up some time ago, which is something I do every day now. Besides protecting my hair, it is also an excellent way to hide my ends. :D

http://s10.postimg.org/4i0q1yn6x/20160319_223616_1.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Oh, and I saw some of you mentioned having fine hair which could be the reason for a relatively thin hemline. My hairs are all very coarse (I got it tested). So I guess that even with coarse hair, a thick hemline doesn't always come naturally. :(

Moonfall. I think we might be close to hair twins. I've been here 5 years and I've stopped cutting as well. My hemline looks almost exactly the same as yours. I've never grown to a solid waist in my life despite letting it grow for years.

Moonfall
March 24th, 2016, 03:47 PM
I think we might indeed be hair twins! I just took another picture and it looks more like the lovely picture in your signature than the previous one I posted. :o In the other picture, part of my hair was wet from washing. Here it is fully dry:
http://s28.postimg.org/l163xhcst/IMG_5407.jpg (http://postimage.org/)

Kimberly
March 24th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Yes, that's why I didn't count the inbetween types. Many people do have mixed hairtypes. I am "mistyped" or "misleadingly typed" too, I have M in my profile but I have M, C and some F too.

Yet still, there should be a Gaussian bell curve of members, whereas now the membership is leaning heavily on the F side of things.

Seems there should be a bell curve, unless more fine-haired people are attracted to LHC for some reason. For example, maybe there would be more fine-haired members becaause fine hair is more prone to damage? I would guess we would have more fine-haired members than other types, though probably not as high a percentage as reported.

Groovy Granny
March 24th, 2016, 04:29 PM
I think we might indeed be hair twins! I just took another picture and it looks more like the lovely picture in your signature than the previous one I posted. :o In the other picture, part of my hair was wet from washing. Here it is fully dry:

Oh my goodness girl....your hair is gorgeous :thud:

julee
March 24th, 2016, 05:36 PM
I've been trying to work this out myself. Maintaining has worked ok, but I don't know if I've done it for long enough for it to make a real difference. However I've had several health/stress related sheds so I don't fully know how my hair grows with good health and good care. So this year I'm just letting it grow, with some S & D and we'll see.

Wusel
March 24th, 2016, 05:39 PM

WONDERFUL hair! The waves and curly ends... :crush:

Silverbrumby
March 25th, 2016, 01:28 AM

Oh my goodness. You have beautiful, shiny, wavy hair. It's longer than mine has ever been. Thank you for posting this. I'd love to have that as my hair future.

Moonfall
March 25th, 2016, 02:18 AM
Thank you all so much :blossom: :o I never expected those compliments! All people tell me in RL is how damaged it looks and how tapered the ends are, so you really made my day (if not my week). Silverbrumby, I got a hair analysis done about a month ago, and since our hair seems quite similar, would you like me to share my results? The analysis was quite extensive and had some really specific advice. It would be great if it could help you as well :D (not that I don't think your hair already looks very good!)

Caraid♫
March 25th, 2016, 06:19 AM
Thank you all so much :blossom: :o I never expected those compliments! All people tell me in RL is how damaged it looks and how tapered the ends are, so you really made my day (if not my week). Silverbrumby, I got a hair analysis done about a month ago, and since our hair seems quite similar, would you like me to share my results? The analysis was quite extensive and had some really specific advice. It would be great if it could help you as well :D (not that I don't think your hair already looks very good!)
People in RL say your hair looks damaged? They are so wrong!! It's absolutely flouncy, shiny and beautiful looking! The ends look to be in great shape, and as we all know here, a bit of taper does not equal damage
:D

Moonfall
March 25th, 2016, 06:51 AM
Unfortunately that's what I've always been told :( For instance, some time ago, I was stupid enough to ask a stylist's opinion on the condition of my hair. She frowned and told me that she thought it would be best to cut back to APL (APL! :boohoo:). According to her it looked very unhealthy and only that could save my hair (of course, I made sure to get out of that salon asap)! It is only one of the many examples. It's frustrating sometimes but I try to remind myself of the fact that the common beauty standards are just different from mine. Still, it really makes me happy to read you all don't think it's unhealthy. Thank you again!

Groovy Granny
March 25th, 2016, 10:37 AM

Unfortunately that's what I've always been told :( For instance, some time ago, I was stupid enough to ask a stylist's opinion on the condition of my hair. She frowned and told me that she thought it would be best to cut back to APL (APL! :boohoo:). According to her it looked very unhealthy and only that could save my hair (of course, I made sure to get out of that salon asap)! It is only one of the many examples. It's frustrating sometimes but I try to remind myself of the fact that the common beauty standards are just different from mine. Still, it really makes me happy to read you all don't think it's unhealthy. Thank you again!

:suspect: They are :crazyq: