PDA

View Full Version : Wavy hair lying "flat" against head?

Anya15
March 13th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Hello! I have wavy 2b/2c hair, and I'm growing out my layers. My shortest layer is a little longer than chin length. As the layers are getting longer, the hair near my scalp sort of tends to "lie flat". I am not a huge fan of this. My straight haired friends' hair bounces up when layered, and my curly haired friends have beautiful curls, so they don't seem to have this problem. I love my waves, but how do I deal with this? I'm curious as to what all the wavies on TLHC think about this :)

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 10:34 AM
It's normal that hair pulls down with more weight added to it. Maybe you're just not used to this.

Try blowdrying your hair upside down, if you blowdry.

Arctic
March 13th, 2016, 10:36 AM
It's, at the base level, about the growth pattern. If your hair grow against your head, then your hair tends to be flat. If your hair grows out and up, then it's naturally more voluminous. I also think that coarser hair might be more prone to sticking up from the scalp than fine hair would.

I have always had the kind of hair that grows against my scalp (both when straight and now when wavy), except just recently there has started to be natural volume, especially at the top/crown area. I'm still getting used to this new phenomena!

Curly hair probably is always looking more voluminous because of the structure of each hair.

pailin
March 13th, 2016, 10:40 AM
This flatness is, I think, one major part of why my mother likes short hair on me better than long. I've never figured out a solution that actually worked. Although in updoes this is why I've been experimenting with accent braids; a little less sticking flat to the scalp.

Silverbleed
March 13th, 2016, 10:58 AM
I usually plop the first hour when my hair dries, to give my roots more volume. Then I let the rest air dry. To avoid flat roots the next day I also wear my hair in a pineapple bun at night.

spidermom
March 13th, 2016, 11:53 AM
I don't have this problem, but I've heard that you can use claw clips or beak clips to lift hair away from the scalp as it dries.

lapushka
March 13th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I don't have this problem, but I've heard that you can use claw clips or beak clips to lift hair away from the scalp as it dries.

Oh yeah, totally forgot that's what I do too! :lol: My hair is clipped up at the roots for airdrying time (curly girl method), then when it's time to blowdry, I plop-diffuse (you basically scrunch the entire length into the bowl, hold it there for 30 seconds, move on).

turtlelover
March 13th, 2016, 09:57 PM
I don't have any answers for this either, other than to say that I was trying to grow out my hair to a blunt hemline, but I didn't like how it looks on me, so I added more layering again -- enough to lighten it up for a bit more root lift, but not enough to thin out the hemline too much since I DESPISE see through hemlines. Cone free also seems to be adding a bit more lift when I am diligent about it.

Anya15
March 14th, 2016, 12:54 AM
Hmm, I don't blow dry at all, but perhaps I could use those claw clips? I tried plopping my hair for about an hour yesterday after washing it, it didn't do much for my roots but gave me nicer waves.

My roots don't get much of a lift even when layered. When my layers were shorter I used to do a deep side part to give it the illusion of a lift. :(

lapushka
March 14th, 2016, 06:22 AM
If you think your hair is "heavy" already at chin... that doesn't bode well for growing on and I'm afraid gravity is just that. You could try the duckbill clips and claw clips (curly girl) but other than that - and blowdrying (which you don't do)... I'm out of options. Maybe try and wear your hair in a (loose) pineapple at night or while it's drying?

Wusel
March 14th, 2016, 08:21 AM
I thought it's normal and inevitable that when hair is long it's flat on the head...? Mine is too. Very flat. But it doesn't bother me because i think it's just the way long hair is...