PDA

View Full Version : Hair starts to behave at certain length?

Strawb3rryBlond
March 11th, 2016, 07:13 PM
So does anyone else find that your hair finally starts to behave once it gets to a certain length?

http://i.imgur.com/ajMNpAa.jpg?1

That pic is from about a month ago, and it was around that point in length that my hair actually sits properly. Any shorter than that pic and it tends to just...be knotty and ratty for no reason.

My hair has been around BSL/Mid back length for about the last 5 years (I tend to cut it, let it grow, cut it, let it grow, etc) and this is something that I've noticed a few times, it's like it pretty much changes over night (obviously not, but you know what I mean).

I suppose it has something to do with the weight of the hair, but what do you think?

chen bao jun
March 11th, 2016, 07:33 PM
I have very different hair at shoulder length than I do at brastrap/midback.
I am a curly. Not only does the triangle head go away, but the curl pattern actually changes, for good or for ill.

-Fern
March 11th, 2016, 07:42 PM
Well, my hair is thick and coarse and is super poof-y... til it gets to a certain length and starts to weigh itself down. B) So I feel ya.

irodaryne
March 11th, 2016, 07:50 PM
So does anyone else find that your hair finally starts to behave once it gets to a certain length?

http://i.imgur.com/ajMNpAa.jpg?1

That pic is from about a month ago, and it was around that point in length that my hair actually sits properly. Any shorter than that pic and it tends to just...be knotty and ratty for no reason.

My hair has been around BSL/Mid back length for about the last 5 years (I tend to cut it, let it grow, cut it, let it grow, etc) and this is something that I've noticed a few times, it's like it pretty much changes over night (obviously not, but you know what I mean).

I suppose it has something to do with the weight of the hair, but what do you think?

I was going to come in here and make a little joke about how I don't think it ever truly behaves itself, (just look at how Seeshami calls hers The Naughty Mess and Gossamer talks about hers not behaving when wet in her detangling videos) but I do thing it'll definitely depend on your hair type. I'm glad you're at a length where it wants to play nice!

I have very different hair at shoulder length than I do at brastrap/midback.
I am a curly. Not only does the triangle head go away, but the curl pattern actually changes, for good or for ill.

Oh I'm very curious about this! I knew that the weight of curly hair can make it stop triangle-ing, but I didn't know that it could change the curl pattern itself. I'd always assumed that it was pretty much the same curls up at scalp area just.... stretched from the weight.

Chromis
March 11th, 2016, 08:02 PM
I found my hair generally has behaved better the longer it gets! Once it got near tailbone it started staying behind my elbows better on the rare moment I wanted to take it down and then around classic it got even easier since I can put it in my lap. At knee it stays put nicely in my lap, like a little hair cat. Even my braid will stay nicely like that although I don't like having it down when I am moving around.

Sarahlabyrinth
March 11th, 2016, 08:27 PM
Mine began behaving much better once I got past waist length. Now I can sit it nicely in my lap.

EdG
March 11th, 2016, 08:38 PM
Yes, hair needs length and weight to hold. Coincidentally, hair naturally grows to the right length. :hmm:
Ed

Entangled
March 11th, 2016, 08:58 PM
Waist plus made all buns easier.

Chromis
March 11th, 2016, 09:57 PM
Yes, hair needs length and weight to hold. Coincidentally, hair naturally grows to the right length. :hmm:
Ed

I agree wholeheartedly!

spirals
March 11th, 2016, 10:11 PM
I knew that the weight of curly hair can make it stop triangle-ing, but I didn't know that it could change the curl pattern itself. I'd always assumed that it was pretty much the same curls up at scalp area just.... stretched from the weight.

My curl pattern does change; it gets more spirally with length. That's the hallmark of 3a.

Shelley48
March 11th, 2016, 10:19 PM
Interesting replies. for me, the longer my hair gets, the less it behaves. It just tangles at the ends and at the scalp. Sigh.

picklepie
March 12th, 2016, 09:59 AM
Definitely. It behaves better and better the longer it gets-- I'll never have it shorter than waist, that's for sure. (Unless I cut super short, which is a whole other world with 3a hair). Classic has been easiest yet; it tangle less because it moves less!

Silverbleed
March 12th, 2016, 11:44 AM
I am pretty confident my hair behaves much better when it's longer. Currently it's a disaster because it's so light and jumpy, it flies everywhere, and no matter how I comb, dry or even gel my hair ... it'll fall back in my face. :doh:
I think it needs some more weight to look good.

meteor
March 12th, 2016, 12:02 PM
Well, my hair is thick and coarse and is super poof-y... til it gets to a certain length and starts to weigh itself down. B) So I feel ya.

That's exactly my experience, too. :agree: Also, with hair that poofs out (especially when freshly washed), it can really get in the face a lot, like blinkers, until the length kicks in (for me, I noticed a big positive difference after TBL). My hair was very difficult around APL-BSL in terms of taking up space - so even when I wore hair "down" it was always contained in a half-up, just to get rid of the "blinkers" effect.

I find the longer it gets, the more easily it stays behind shoulders and elbows, and the length/weight relaxes the wave pattern... but added length makes it harder to detangle for me, since the sheer mass and surface area of hair strands are just larger with added length.

spidermom
March 12th, 2016, 01:26 PM
No matter how long my hair has been, which was classic length, it has never-ever stayed behind me. It writhes around me like Medusa's snakes.

lapushka
March 12th, 2016, 02:07 PM
Nope. It behaved when it wasn't BSL yet. Now it needs full-on silicones to behave and for it to get detangled without a hitch or hiccup. Before that it didn't care what products I used.

Short hair don't care! :lol:

lithostoic
March 12th, 2016, 02:40 PM
My hair is kinda wild up until it hits APL

czech it out
March 12th, 2016, 07:25 PM
Interesting replies. for me, the longer my hair gets, the less it behaves. It just tangles at the ends and at the scalp. Sigh.

I came here to say this! I think waist was my magic length. Now at tailbone, my hair gets up to all kind of mischief when I'm not looking! I guess part of my problem is my tendency to wear it down most days, but that's how I like it. :) I do like that longer hair has more heft to it though. And it's much easier for updos!

spirals
March 12th, 2016, 07:58 PM
I guess mine misbehaves at longer lengths in that it tangles more. Well, no, not even that. At shorter lengths it tangled but I never combed until a wash, since I'm a curly. So no length makes it behave.

restless
March 13th, 2016, 05:00 AM
Id say mine starts to behave somewhat around APL. Anything shorter than that and its literally all over the place with crazy and untameable flips and bumps and wurls.

Wusel
March 13th, 2016, 06:04 AM
Same here... My hair starts behaving at APL+. when shorter it's triangle-ish, poofy, wild, unruly...

Eastbound&Down
March 13th, 2016, 01:07 PM
From Shoulder to BSL, my hair is hopeless. About an inch before BSL it started to play nice and the longer it has gotten, the better it's been.

AJNinami
March 13th, 2016, 01:17 PM
"Curtain-Length" is where I really forget it's even behind me, it stays put so well.

trolleypup
March 13th, 2016, 01:31 PM
It just misbehaves in different ways at different lengths...and for different reasons. If my ends weren't 10 years old and mechanically worn I'd have less tangling, but if it was shorter, I might not be able to bun it and it would get tangled from being down. I will say it is less work overall at this length than at BSL.