PDA

View Full Version : 3-Year Progress

kendraf
March 11th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I'm technically on my 5th year here, but I really wasn't actively taking care of my hair or posting here until 2013/2014. My progress is a little boring compared to most, but the quality of my hair has significantly improved.

Mar 2013: I obviously kept my hair very light blonde and regularly got highlights, plus lots of straightening. Needless to say my fine strands were not very happy with me. The longest it ever got was BSL and the ends always felt very dry and brittle.

May 2013-2014: grew out about 6 inches of my natural color and drastically cut back on heat styling

July 2015: I had pretty much all of the bleach gone by that point and was air drying, oiling, not using cones or sls, stretching washes, etc. I also had my bf at the time giving me blunt trims, which ended up getting crooked at some point lol.

August 2015: ...and then I made this fateful decision :rolleyes: I put Pravana Vivids Red over my virgin ends, which actually turned out pretty cool. The problem is it never washed out all the way! I also got a pro haircut after a year of bf trims.

December 2015: With my ends still vibrant red and getting a promotion at work, I decided to get some balayage to kinda blend the ends with my natural color. The hairdresser ended up lightening my ends twice trying to lift out the red :( so the bottom 4 inches of my hair ended up being slightly pink and pretty fragile over time, even with her using Olaplex. My hair just can't really handle being lightened and maintain strength, too fine. Even so, I reached BSL at the end of December.

March 2016: I have finally surpassed BSL for the first time in years!! I'm going to keep growing towards hip and just cut the color out with my normal maintenance trims, no longer actively maintaining.

Hopefully my update post next year will be more exciting :D

https://i.imgur.com/kX4DjBY.jpg

lapushka
March 11th, 2016, 10:55 AM
That is something, for what is called a veggie dye (semi permanent) not to wash out! I've heard this before from people who use vibrant colors, that they hardly wash out. Something to watch out for!

You made good progress once again. Hope you can maintain and happily grow on!

Congrats. :D

kendraf
March 11th, 2016, 11:05 AM
thanks lapushka! Yeah I was shocked that the color stuck so well, even to virgin hair. I don't think I'll be trying that again shudder:

khryz
March 11th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Oh very nice journey! I love your waves!

YvetteVarie
March 12th, 2016, 12:20 AM
Beautiful waves. And I think you have had good progress from all you described.