PDA

View Full Version : DIY Leave-in (Deep) Conditioner Recipes

Daydreamer.
March 11th, 2016, 04:20 AM
I know a lot of people mix water and a regular rinse out conditioner to make a leave-in conditioner. I was wondering if you could mix water and a deep conditioner to make a leave-in conditioner? Would it be more moisturizing and/or nourishing? Has anyone tried this? Also, to make this thread a little more interesting, please include your own DIY leave-in recipes.

lapushka
March 11th, 2016, 05:14 AM
I have heard that the HE Hello Hydration (from 2 people now) is a good leave-in. You don't even need to water it down apparently. :)

I don't get the watering down thing. I'd just use the conditioner; if it's a light one it certainly won't hurt.

reilly0167
March 11th, 2016, 05:42 AM
Some of my friends, who are curly girls, water down the conditioner to make a leave in, to put in their mister bottle to freshen curls between washes.

Eastbound&Down
March 11th, 2016, 08:46 AM
I use coconut oil as a leave in, currently doing a multiday experiment. But I've heard Suave and HE make good leave ins. Suave in pretty thin, you probably wouldn't have to water that one down, not sure about HE. Either way, I see you are 3c, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some to your damp hair and let it dry. Is your hair a fan of oils? I find that oils (coconut, JBCO, sweet almond) promote my waves much better than just conditioners.

Silverbleed
March 11th, 2016, 08:48 AM
Some of my friends, who are curly girls, water down the conditioner to make a leave in, to put in their mister bottle to freshen curls between washes.

I do this too. Sometimes I add in a few drops of oil. My hair loves it.

Pat Wright
March 11th, 2016, 08:50 AM

Yep I do this.

YvetteVarie
March 12th, 2016, 12:26 AM
I make my own leave in by mixing Tresemme Naturals conditioner with water, glycerin and coconut oil. My hair stays moisturised for days.

I think for a deep conditionrt it depends. As long as its a moisture rich one, I don't think it will be different from a rinse out one. The ones to be cautious of are the protein ones

PS: I once used a light protein deep conditioner (ORS Replenishing Conditioner) as part of my homemade leave in and it was the same as a moisture deep conditioner. But I am relaxed so maybe that's why I didn't have protein overload

Daydreamer.
March 12th, 2016, 01:30 AM
I use coconut oil as a leave in, currently doing a multiday experiment. But I've heard Suave and HE make good leave ins. Suave in pretty thin, you probably wouldn't have to water that one down, not sure about HE. Either way, I see you are 3c, it probably wouldn't hurt to add some to your damp hair and let it dry. Is your hair a fan of oils? I find that oils (coconut, JBCO, sweet almond) promote my waves much better than just conditioners. Yeah, my hair likes oils. I'm currently using coconut oil and argan oil. I'm considering leave-ins because the weather has been cold and dry lately. My hair feels like it needs more moisture.

Daydreamer.
March 12th, 2016, 01:32 AM
I make my own leave in by mixing Tresemme Naturals conditioner with water, glycerin and coconut oil. My hair stays moisturised for days. I think for a deep conditionrt it depends. As long as its a moisture rich one, I don't think it will be different from a rinse out one. The ones to be cautious of are the protein ones PS: I once used a light protein deep conditioner (ORS Replenishing Conditioner) as part of my homemade leave in and it was the same as a moisture deep conditioner. But I am relaxed so maybe that's why I didn't have protein overload Your recipe sounds good. How much conditioner, water, glycerin, and coconut oil do you use for it?

Totty
March 12th, 2016, 10:20 AM
Your recipe sounds good. How much conditioner, water, glycerin, and coconut oil do you use for it?

I was wondering the same

Nadine <3
March 12th, 2016, 10:23 AM
my leave in is equal parts cocoa butter and whatever oil my hair likes that I have on hand. It does a fantastic job at locking in the moisture from my shower!