PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety induced hair snapping

CreatureBailey
March 11th, 2016, 12:41 AM
So when I comb my hair, a lot of times it snaps. Not like a big ''CLIC!'' but little sounds, like...''tic'' or ''tuhk'' and when it happens I start thinking about the fact that a few minutes ago my hair was not snapped, omg, that I just ruined it more, that some hairs lost some length... It always causes me some kind of anxiety. EEK!

I don't HAVE anxiety. It's just when I snap my hair I just get VERY bummed out and down. It's not like I have the thickest hair in the world...so when they snap...I feel like I ruined the bit of thickness even more...I feel insulted by the universe...I think about the months it will take to grow this specific hair back...I think of the difference it makes after a while with all that snapping... :boohoo:

Like..I want all my hair to be super long hair all equal... ugh... :(

Shelley48
March 11th, 2016, 12:48 AM
I wanted to make a thread exactly like this to find out if I was alone!!!!

I'm trying to keep my hair in braids so I don't even have to brush my hair or worry about it. But whenever I get those sounds you described, I get really discouraged, tell myself to give up on maintaining long hair, that I'm going to go bald... anxiety sufferer here, thus the irrational thoughts.

I'd love to hear advice on this topic from people with really long hair (which to me is anything past waist lol)

Please help us stop worrying about stuff like this! :( no matter how gentle and slow I am, these things still happen.

bunneh.
March 11th, 2016, 01:02 AM
CreatureBailey you have hair on the finer side which means you have to be careful in order for it not to snap. That said I believe there will be times when it will snap, don't worry it happens to everyone, just keep your hair well moisturized with conditioners or oils or whatever you prefer using and detangle slowly and gently from bottom to top (roots) with a wide tooth comb or boar bristle brush or tangle teezer, whatever works the best for you (i use wide tooth comb and it works great but I do hear one or two hair snap, but that's A LOT less than when I was using ordinary plastic brush vigorously. Keep your hair in a braid or bun all day and night, use satin pillowcase/scarf/whatever to reduce friction. Also hair will never be all the same length. Hair falls out and starts growing from the scalp again so having all the hair at the exact same length all the time is impossible. Bluntest hemlines are as even as you can get. Humans have about 100.000 or more hairs on their head, it's not the end of the world if one gets pulled out or damaged accidentally. In case your hair starts fairytaleing and you want a blunt hemline (this can happen from regular growth as hair grows uneven and not from breakage) let it grow for a long time before trimming as thickness travels down.

lapushka
March 11th, 2016, 02:11 AM
The only thing you can do is use a good moisturizing conditioner (I know, I know, I repeat myself :lol:) and if that's all okay, then what remains and does snap is... kind of... inevitable. You could always use a conditioning mist (distilled water, squirt of conditioner) to mist in your hair prior to detangling.

I get that too, you know; I think we all do. It doesn't mean hair breaks off, just that it is tangled and loosening itself from the sheds it's gnarled up with.

Arctic
March 11th, 2016, 02:34 AM
Hey not worry about these things. As wonderful as hair is and as important as it is to many, having few hairs snap is not a big deal. Hair is amazingly tough material, but there is nothing in the universe that wouldn't be subjected to wear and tear, corrosion and decay. Universe is not out to get you or your hair, I promise. There is just no way of never getting any damage to your hair. Even if you would sit still in a vacuum all your life, simply the passing time would disintegrate the cells and fibres slowly.

Hair makes sounds when you handle it. The coarser the strands, the louder the noises. Not all sounds are snapping or breakage or signs of damage.

Have you tried some of the advice in your previous hair snapping post? It might be you could be able to get your hair less tangly which would help with combing. If you can reduce the tangliness it would help with your problem. If you can't reduce tangliness and sounds your hair makes, then just do your best to handle your hair gently and carefully, and take good care of it. That's really what any of us can do.

Try not to obsess with your hair. It's something that can easily start to consume your mind and even your life, and prevent your from enjoying your hair and your time. :flower:

lapushka
March 11th, 2016, 03:23 AM
Try not to obsess with your hair. It's something that can easily start to consume your mind and even your life, and prevent your from enjoying your hair and your time. :flower:

Very good advice, especially if you've mentioned it before on this board! You really can't afford to obsess with long hair. Try and wear it up as much as you can, then when detangling pay good care to how you detangle and if that's all okay, the rest is just... inevitable.

CreatureBailey
March 11th, 2016, 06:15 PM
Thanks guys... :-)

By the way, I think I'm gonna try co-wash for the next few weeks. :)

mindwiped
March 12th, 2016, 03:44 PM
I'm a wavy wurley, and I started doing my combing in the shower, while I've got conditioner in my hair. Much less snappage, and happier wurls

spidermom
March 12th, 2016, 04:46 PM
I think many of us become overly concerned with our hair after joining LHC - "why this and why that and does this freak anybody else out?" Although you can learn good techniques for keeping your hair in good condition, you can't control everything. Hair has to go with you and do what you do; it's not like you can put it under glass and keep it in a darkened room. If you could, what kind of life would that be?