PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another Hair Article...

YvetteVarie
March 10th, 2016, 06:13 AM
This one made me snicker a bit. A few are common courtesy but the rest... I would never stop asking. Especially the trim one

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/beauty/10-things-never-to-say-to-your-hairstylist/

Wusel
March 10th, 2016, 06:43 AM
I can't open it... Is it because I have a MacBook?

bunneh.
March 10th, 2016, 07:00 AM
Try this link: http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/beauty/10-things-never-to-say-to-your-hairstylist/ss-AAgxF8T

Edit: Some of them are pretty silly, others are understandable. I would say that some individuals know more things about hair than certain hairdressers... We all know split ends are bad, yet hairdressers insist cutting 10 inches is the only way to go to get healthy hair, but we're obviously sitting here microtrimming and S&Ding our way to healthy hair.

parkmikii
March 10th, 2016, 07:23 AM
'Don't fret, hair grows' really?
Hair may grow but for quite a few of us it's more than just hair and growing it to great lengths requires a lot of years..

Jorgie
March 10th, 2016, 07:41 AM
'Don't fret, hair grows' really?
Hair may grow but for quite a few of us it's more than just hair and growing it to great lengths requires a lot of years..

Agreed, this one in particular seemed rather flippant and inconsiderate of the client's feelings. It's taken me two years to get to APL, and I can't imagine what it would be like for someone with longer hair to lose so much in one hair cutting session.

browneyedsusan
March 10th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Ya, hair grows, but it grows slowly.
My journey from pixie to shoulder only took a year or so. Another year to APL. Another year to BSL, and another year to waist. (Guess what? Hip is going to take about a year, too!)
It's one thing if you want to maintain a style at shoulder, like 90% of the population; quite another if you want to grow it super-long. :)

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2016, 08:08 AM
A lot of them are very reasonable, but as the others have stated, it is my body (my hair) and I have a right to fret about how much she(he) is going to trim. Hair may grow but mine takes years!
Also, i absolutely want to question what tools she(he) is using. They want to use thinning shears on me all too often. Not happening. Also, what if they want to razor cut or do that thing where they scrape along the ends? Not to speak of the ever problematic use of the comb with tiny teeth that hauls my hair out, the blowdryer comb attachment (the last time a hairdresser used that on me, she was sorry, I'm sure it wasn't good for my hair, but her attachment lost almost all of its teeth lol)

And its not only what tools, its what products. For years and years hairdressers used a super strength relaxer in me because it saved them time with my thick hair and because my hair 'could take it'. Yes, it could take it without me actually going bald, but my hair completely ceased to grow.

the article seems to have two parts, #1 is be polite, on time with your hairdresser. I agree to that.
#2 is , let them do anything they want without question because they know better than you in all respects. And you can assume they have the same goals.

that part is just. not.true.

bunneh.
March 10th, 2016, 08:55 AM
I would say that for whoever wants to grow their hair really really long should consider stop going to hairdressers and learn to cut hair on their own. With long hair, most of people wanting to grow long will want to avoid layers and get some sort of a blunt or U hemline (sometimes V) which is insanely easy to cut, especially with all the tutorials and instructions provided online and on this forum. And even if you want layers, if you're adventurous, there are simple tutorials for DIY layers as well. I can't remember last time I got my hair cut profesionally, my dad always cut my hair for me and I've been cutting it myself for years. You really need to be talented to screw up a basic microtrim, but maybe that's just me. I have a good perception and know at all times, the EXACT spot where each hair strand will fall when I'm cutting it.

Edit: I'm speaking in general for more straighter types, if you have kinky curly hair I imagine it's a lot harder to trim it.

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2016, 12:04 PM
Hey, Bunneh, harder to trim curly or tightly curly hair but it needs it less. I just S & D because a straight hemline is pointless, the curls draw up to different lengths depending on what they feel like doing on that particular day, you know? So it's never going to look even regardless.

I guess that are hairdressers that are supposed to know how to cut curly hair in some particular way (Deva Cut and those people) but none of them are in my area and I don't see the need.

Brown eyed Susan, your hair grows fast, it's taken me four years to get from collarbone to bra strap bottom. And that's not when its curly, that's when it's straightened out.

Silverbleed
March 10th, 2016, 12:38 PM
"Leave the styling to the experts" is exactly one I don't agree on. I'd have to be careful they don't ninja some mousse in my hair or put a straightening iron on there. Not all hairdressers would do that, but I've had a few.

lapushka
March 10th, 2016, 01:22 PM
I'm sorry but I've never read so much rubbish in my life. Awful. Pffff...

Frankenstein
March 10th, 2016, 01:33 PM
I know you're almost done but I don't think blonde is for me!

That gave me a good chuckle :lol:

Anje
March 10th, 2016, 02:26 PM
"If you have to question what your stylist is doing, maybe you shouldn't vist [sic] them."

Truth, that. :) Probably why I've gone to a stylist once in the last decade, and that for a wedding updo.