PDA

View Full Version : Now I know why I couldn't upload a sig/profile picture!

Amoretti
March 21st, 2008, 09:20 AM
I just hit on why I haven't been able to post a sig or profile pic!:)
I wanted to post it here just in case anyone else is having the same issues.

It turns out that the site won't accept .bmp images. They have to be JPEG!:idea:

Some of the images in my laptop are .bmp and others are JPEG but I didn't know that until I clicked on "properties". I had been trying to upload the same image over and over again and getting the "invalid file image" annoying thingy!:o:confused:

So try this out if you've also been having issues.:D

And if this has already been discussed to death, just ignore this post! LOL.
:horse:

harpgal
March 21st, 2008, 12:57 PM
Thanks for pointing this out, Amoretti. .bmps are very big images (files). .jpgs are much smaller and are used almost exclusively for photos in web design.

Amoretti
March 21st, 2008, 03:45 PM
Harpgal, my computer savvy DH says that when I take a picture on my camera it is jpg. but when I resize it using other software it's .bmp, so that's why my resized pics didn't download!

eadwine
March 22nd, 2008, 04:45 AM
You should be able to save them as .jpg as well in that program :)

Amoretti
March 23rd, 2008, 12:38 PM
Ah! I will investigate, thanks!

harpgal
March 23rd, 2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, eadwine is right. You should have a "drop down" menu at the bottom of your "Save As" dialog box. On that list, .jpg should be listed.

Remke
March 24th, 2008, 12:51 PM
I can't see my picture in my signature, just a link :(

eadwine
March 24th, 2008, 01:26 PM
Remke, you need to upload the image in the signature section. Can't be larger than 9.8k. No more linking allowed in siggies here :)

Amoretti
March 27th, 2008, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the tips!

Nynaeve
March 27th, 2008, 09:11 PM
Thanks for that, whereas I have not yet taken any good pics that would qualify for siggy awesomeness, this is helpful. :)

When I resized my pic to get my avatar back earlier, i just used paint and it worked fine for uploading (as a bmp) but I guess that's because it was the avatar, not the siggy.