PDA

View Full Version : How much stress is too much stress for hair follicles?

Wusel
March 9th, 2016, 11:51 AM
Strange question, I know... :confused::shrug:
But I'm pondering about it.
Everyone of us has stressful days, weeks, events that make us angry, sad, confused, desperate... Controversial discussions with the family, an angry boss, annoying neighbors, ill kids...
That's live and it's not a bed of roses.
I don't know a person who says that she/he never has stress.
But stress can cause hair loss, so, you should avoid it...
Therefore my question...
How much stress is too much stress for hair follicles?
Make five sleepless nights, because my child has a bad cold and tears because of a quarrel with the family my hair fall out three months later?
Are three very stressful days too much for my hair to stay on my head? Or a stressful week?
What do you think?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM
I don't know for sure, but I would imagine it would be several weeks of pretty bad stress, or certain drugs, or malnutrition which can cause hair loss. I doubt that 2 or three days would have much effect.

Arctic
March 9th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Probably not. I didn't experience any hair loss when I had extreme, continuing stress for several years. My hair was the best I've had in my life. :) Everyone reacts differently and everyone's situation is different, but if we are not talking about trauma-level of stress, then I doubt few days will cause noticeable hair loss.

But if we are talking about trauma, then it's possible.

Hope you will get relief soon and don't have any ill effects on your hair.

Wusel
March 9th, 2016, 12:00 PM
Hope you will get relief soon and don't have any ill effects on your hair.

Thank you :) I'm fine now. :) Very happy and not much stress but I had some stress 2 months ago for 2 weeks, so, I ask myself if it'll give me hair loss in a month.

Kiiruna
March 9th, 2016, 12:10 PM
I think it depends on how your body usually reacts - some people react to stress by shedding. However, I don't think that even a few stressful weeks are enough to cause much shedding, unless you are prone to that. :)

Anje
March 9th, 2016, 12:31 PM
You'll know it after you hit it. :P Constant worry about grad school isn't doing it to me, but I did hit it when my husband had to move away for work reasons and I was stuck living alone, doing school, and trying to sell the house for 6 months.

Wusel
March 9th, 2016, 01:57 PM
You'll know it after you hit it. :P Constant worry about grad school isn't doing it to me, but I did hit it when my husband had to move away for work reasons and I was stuck living alone, doing school, and trying to sell the house for 6 months.

Oh my. I know what you mean. Being alone and sleeping alone for months without my SO would surely end for me (and him) with complete baldness...

chen bao jun
March 10th, 2016, 03:58 PM
I think it means extreme stress--the sort that Anje describes.
In my case, we had a death and a devastating illness (of one of my kids) at the same time. Six months later, it was like oh wow.
But even then, it wasn't like, I was going to be bald or anything.
And also, I feel its NOT helpful to have people tell you things like, don't be stressed, it might make your hair fall out.
Because hearing your hair might fall out will, uh, put you under more stress.

Anje
March 10th, 2016, 07:26 PM
No, I wasn't balding or anything, but it was bad emotionally for both of us. I suspect I was actually the better off of the two of us; he had a new job in a new city away from all his friends and was not particularly happy about any of it. I started distinctly shedding more heavily a few months into it.

Wusel
March 10th, 2016, 11:06 PM
No, I wasn't balding or anything, but it was bad emotionally for both of us. I suspect I was actually the better off of the two of us; he had a new job in a new city away from all his friends and was not particularly happy about any of it. I started distinctly shedding more heavily a few months into it.

I can imagine how hard that is... Since my SO and I had our first date there was only ONE day that we didn't see each other. And it was because of his two-day business travel. And this one day was hard enough...

Knifegill
March 11th, 2016, 04:19 AM
I'm completely convinced that some people do not experience the kind of stress that makes hair fall out. Maybe they are calm by natural disposition (winner! yay for those!) or completely secure in their life with minimal fears or doubts, I wish I knew. But my friends and I have talked, some people don't feel their faces burning up or feel joint pain or hear what can only be described as screaming in their minds the way others do. So MAYBE those who are able to stay calm and know they should be stressed are not being physically ground down the way some other people can be (shaking, screaming, refusing food and water, breaking everything and being unable to remember what they did) etc.

Just speculation, something I think I've noticed about some people I've known, no broad generalizations applicable - don't read into it or choose to be angry, it's nothing personal. It's not about you.