View Full Version : I seem to lose a lot of hair after puberty?

llamacat
March 9th, 2016, 05:53 AM
I used to have thick, shiny long hair as a child. I knew this because my mom kept my chopped hair for me :) By measuring it I'm sure it was thickness iii.

I went for a pixie during my adolescent years. Now I'm 22 and my hair is again at hip length, but it is a thickness ii, perhaps even on the lower end. I almost lost half of my childhood hair!

Is this normal? Does anybody else have similar issue?

I don't think there's any underlying medical situations and my thickness just reduced gradually. :(

But why?

A pic of my childhood hair
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12701&attachmentid=21940
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12701&attachmentid=21940

lapushka
March 9th, 2016, 06:27 AM
Puberty does crazy things to you. Hormones are out of whack, you name it, it happens, or it can happen.

I went from 1b/c to 2b/c during puberty, after I had my hair come out in clumps (no kidding, I had bald patches) in parts. After a year of supplements and Bioscalin lotion regularly on my scalp, it stopped and grew back gradually. This happened together with getting my menses at age 13/14. When I was 15/16 I was through the worst of it and my long pixie had grown out to a shoulder to APL length cut.

When my mom went through pregnancy, she lost a lot of her thickness. She was a ii, well into the iis and after going through that *and* menopauze, today she is i/ii, more on the i side.

Yeah... hormones!

Do keep track of your health and a well-balanced diet can help you with that.

Kaorin
March 9th, 2016, 06:28 AM
My hair has become alot thinner since my teen years as well. I don't know exactly how thick my hair was, but I had a hairclip I could only do a half up-do with and not even get half my hair into it. The same clip can take all of my hair now. I would also like to know if this is common and why it happened to us.

Wusel
March 9th, 2016, 06:51 AM
It's normal. Yes. Hormones... My hair came out in clumps during and after puberty too. I had to cut it and got a cortisone lotion for my scalp. That's life and growing older unfortunately... But it grows back so don't worry too much.

llamacat
March 9th, 2016, 04:13 PM
Thank you very much lapushka, Kaorin, and Wusel!

I was thinking that I might have male pattern baldness but not quite sure... My mom told me that she had the same problem when she was young. So it was probably a genetic thing.

Its really reassuring to hear that lapushka and Wusel have got your thickness back! I think I'll have an appointment with my doctor soon and perhaps get some kind of topical treatment. (I have a bald patch too)

Again, Thanks for helping out! I really appreciate it!

lapushka
March 10th, 2016, 06:28 AM
Oh gosh, definitely, if you have a bald patch, go and show your doctor!!! Good luck! :)