PDA

View Full Version : Like a jilted lover, my hair is punishing me for straying!

school of fish
March 8th, 2016, 06:43 AM
So... For the past year I've had a firmly established routine that revolves around daily washing (some combination of S&C or CO with Pantene Ice Shine) and weekly henna roots touch-ups + length SMT. My hair has been super happy, which makes me super happy - it's a good relationship ;)

But... last week I gave into temptation. I saw a former lover of mine in the form of Nature's Gate Herbal at the store - I used to use that shampoo and I LOVED the scent so much! I've really truly missed how it smells - I mean REALLY missed it - and thought maybe I could sneak it back into my life, just in a small way, just using the conditioner in my SMT, surely my hair would be okay with a little harmless flirtation... So I did it, I took my old beloved NG home with me, mixed it up into my SMT and basked in that glorious scent for a couple of heavenly hours! Upon rinse-out however, it began to dawn on me that this tryst was going to cost me...

Rinsing out, it felt like my hair hadn't even been conditioned, let alone had a deep treatment. Damp detangling was... challenging... Dry detangling is actually causing traction instead of the smooth glide-through I've become used to. My hair feels tacky, lacks shine, moves stiffly, is tangling more quickly. Even that glorious scent that I love and missed so much is giving me hay fever symptoms!!!

I've got some serious apologizing to do - my hair's just not speaking to me now. Yesterday was CO day and I used my usual Pantene - not enough. The Nature's Gate scent is still there and my hair is still making me suffer. Today is shampoo day (thank God) - hopefully a good S&C will help make my hair feel loved and special again... Hopefully with some time spent recommiting to the old routine my hair will forgive me, but think I may have to buy it some really nice sparkly gift or something though to make up for this indiscretion... ;)

I definitely knew my hair had a temper but I never realized it holds a grudge, haha! Lesson learned ;)

khryz
March 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM
I hope you and your hair patch things up really soon. With lots of baby-ing and love, your relationship can only get stronger :p

Pat Wright
March 8th, 2016, 06:47 AM
So... For the past year I've had a firmly established routine that revolves around daily washing (some combination of S&C or CO with Pantene Ice Shine) and weekly henna roots touch-ups + length SMT. My hair has been super happy, which makes me super happy - it's a good relationship ;)

But... last week I gave into temptation. I saw a former lover of mine in the form of Nature's Gate Herbal at the store - I used to use that shampoo and I LOVED the scent so much! I've really truly missed how it smells - I mean REALLY missed it - and thought maybe I could sneak it back into my life, just in a small way, just using the conditioner in my SMT, surely my hair would be okay with a little harmless flirtation... So I did it, I took my old beloved NG home with me, mixed it up into my SMT and basked in that glorious scent for a couple of heavenly hours! Upon rinse-out however, it began to dawn on me that this tryst was going to cost me...

Rinsing out, it felt like my hair hadn't even been conditioned, let alone had a deep treatment. Damp detangling was... challenging... Dry detangling is actually causing traction instead of the smooth glide-through I've become used to. My hair feels tacky, lacks shine, moves stiffly, is tangling more quickly. Even that glorious scent that I love and missed so much is giving me hay fever symptoms!!!

I've got some serious apologizing to do - my hair's just not speaking to me now. Yesterday was CO day and I used my usual Pantene - not enough. The Nature's Gate scent is still there and my hair is still making me suffer. Today is shampoo day (thank God) - hopefully a good S&C will help make my hair feel loved and special again... Hopefully with some time spent recommiting to the old routine my hair will forgive me, but think I may have to buy it some really nice sparkly gift or something though to make up for this indiscretion... ;)

I definitely knew my hair had a temper but I never realized it holds a grudge, haha! Lesson learned ;)

Take it out to dinner. Ply it with wine and promise to be attentive. It will all work out. Lol

lapushka
March 8th, 2016, 06:48 AM
Sounds about the same to me as when I used cone-free products before BSL and then after reaching that length (or thereabouts) had to switch to heavy conditioners (for dry, damaged hair) and silicones. Natural products and silicone-free ones just aren't for me anymore. All's fine on short hair - it don't care. But when it's long and the lengths are dry and needing attention - no way that is going to work without hiccups.

LongCurlyTress
March 8th, 2016, 08:54 AM
I have strayed too with trying to get fancy and then been punished by my hair. ANY type of leave in, usually tangles my hair like crazy!! My hair is so so picky. :/ :knuckle:

Eastbound&Down
March 8th, 2016, 09:02 AM
Hopefully with a little TLC, your relationship will be restored! I have had something similar happen to me recently, I tried to go back to GVP S/C, my hair was highly displeased. We are going to weekly consoling, I think we're making some good head way.

Deborah
March 8th, 2016, 02:14 PM
Yep. Hair can be so temperamental. I tried the rinse out oil method because it works so well for so many, but my hair ended up full of static, dry and cranky. Go figure. We each have to find what works well for us. It's so fun to experiment, but sometimes those experiments are big failures. I guess that's just life with long hair. :wink:

bunneh.
March 8th, 2016, 02:41 PM
This reminds me of my prom night... My hair laughed at curling iron and a ton of hairspray and went back to it's usual texture within a few hours (wish I could go to prom again, I'd pick a completely different dress and would probably do a waterfall braid hairstyle or something similar instead and DON'T get me started on makeup, ugh...)... I tried curling it a few times overnight using rollers and socks and buns and always ended up looking like a sheep in the morning so I kind of gave up. :p I tried bantu knots once and oh my God it came out gorgeous. But of course I fail at it because I've only tried it once. XD

Back on topic, just spoil it, it likes being spoiled. ;)

lapushka
March 8th, 2016, 02:43 PM
Yep. Hair can be so temperamental. I tried the rinse out oil method because it works so well for so many, but my hair ended up full of static, dry and cranky. Go figure. We each have to find what works well for us. It's so fun to experiment, but sometimes those experiments are big failures. I guess that's just life with long hair. :wink:

Yes, not everything works for everybody. YMMV. My days of experimenting are long gone, these days I stick to my basic routine.

meteor
March 8th, 2016, 03:05 PM

He-he! Just give it some TLC and its favorite S&C libations of course, and I'm sure it will forgive you soon! ;) I loved reading the fun story about your relationship with your hair, kinda reminded me of those Herbal Essences commercials! ;) :lol:

Swan Maiden
March 8th, 2016, 03:40 PM
It has protein in it I think. Is your hair anti-protein?

school of fish
March 8th, 2016, 04:26 PM
Thanks for the support all! It looks like my hair and I are going to be able to save our relationship ;)

Today was shampoo/oil-rinse/condition day and that's put everything right again, although I swear I can still smell some of the Nature's Gate coming through even after the strong Pantene sulphates!

In all fairness, I knew this experiment was going to be a gamble, especially given that the ingredients in the two conditioners are so vastly different. That's why I figured the SMT might be the safest place to try it out - fairly easily remedied if it all went south, haha!

Nature's Gate does indeed have proteins. Since I've been using henna for over a decade and henna kind of behaves like a protein treatment, it's an ingredient that my hair probably doesn't really need. It also has several oils, and my hair is so oil-adverse (outside of light oil rinsing) so strike two. I think perhaps the nail in the coffin though was the second ingredient on the list, quaternium-87. I've wondered in the past if my hair dislikes quats/polyquats and this SMT fail would seem to lend credence to my suspicion. Actually it's kind of what-the-hell-was-I-thinking funny to read the ingredient lists side by side - I should have seen this coming a mile away ;)

The nice thing about all this is that I'm in a position to gamble every so often since I do have such a great routine to return to. Every once in a while I like to try something new, to keep my mind open, and to possibly discover something that I can add to my routine (like oil-rinsing - I never would have thought that would work for me!!). But of course it means sometimes hitting a fail like this one! It's all part of the game :)

hobbitlocks
March 8th, 2016, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear you guys are going to make it work :) If you really like the scent, maybe try using the shampoo as a body wash? I feel like they can't work all differently.

school of fish
March 8th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Glad to hear you guys are going to make it work :) If you really like the scent, maybe try using the shampoo as a body wash? I feel like they can't work all differently.

Excellent idea, but it's conditioner I have :) It was NG shampoo that I used years ago, but this time around I bought just the conditioner for the SMT.

What I might try doing is mixing just a little itty bit with my regular Ice Shine condtioner in the next SMT - I've done that before when trying to use up old unwanted conditioners and had no trouble... although my hair might get jealous again...

spirals
March 8th, 2016, 09:00 PM
Maybe you could make a hair perfume that smells like NG. I don't think it's scented, but the herbs in it make it smell good. Maybe you could diffuse the herbs in alcohol or oil.

spirals
March 8th, 2016, 09:02 PM
Oh, looked up some of the hair care stuff. There is fragrance. Sorry, it's been 20 years since I used that brand and it was lotion.

MsPharaohMoan
March 9th, 2016, 08:19 AM
You can use it to soften skin before shaving!

pailin
March 9th, 2016, 08:36 AM

Yes, I've been doing this recently with conditioner that my hair didn't appreciate, and my skin loved it so much I was tempted to buy the stuff again, intentionally for shaving.

Llama
March 9th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Deleted (deleted)

school of fish
March 9th, 2016, 10:05 AM

I knew this was going to be the next suggestion and it's another excellent one! Except that I epilate... ;)