PDA

View Full Version : The Hair Friendly Fan Bun Tutorial

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hello all,

I decided to make a tutorial of my Hair Friendly Fan Bun methods (even thought I've been saying I won't be making new videos for time being, I was inspired, so decided to act on it).

I have just seen so many people missing their half-pulled through ponytail buns, and not knowing any hair friendly alternatives/replacements. And I had an alternative, I have been "sitting on it" since late spring 2015. So hopefully by making this tutorial many people will be able to make their old favourite's similar looking, but hair friendly cousin.

This style is also great for those who like bigger buns and cannot lie, yet are lacking in the hair department. :)

And those who are looking modern, fun, easy, hair friendly new styles.

My Fan Bun versions are:

* hair friendly
* damage-free
* elastics-free
* no teasing
* no styling products
* no twisting
* comfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBdhOc3tPA
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBdhOc3tPA)

Link to my blog, where I write some more about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125391

As always, I would love to hear if you try these, and do they work for you. Please also write your hair type and length here (also if it is slippery), so we can start to see patterns, maybe, to whom this style could work. I assume it's best for shorter lengths and not very slippery hair.

Since I'm a big YouTube star with my two hidden hair videos (lol), I want to give credits for someone who inspired me to "just do the video already", our DiddieDaisy. :flowers: I hope these works for you Diddie! And everyone else too!

PS. I think with longer hair one could do a nice chignon with these methods, lower down near the nape of the neck. My own hair is not long enough to test it.

ETA: I made an exprimental left-handed version of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0urpN7FhcY, embedded video posted in THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136761&p=3186206&viewfull=1#post3186206)post (because only one of them is allowed per post).

lillielil
March 7th, 2016, 09:51 AM
:applause

Very nice video tutorial, Arctic! I will give this one a try. My pre-LHC go-to style was a folded pull-through bun (sometimes folded twice when my hair was on the longer side!) that I was not very kind to, and this gives a similar look but much prettier.

Wusel
March 7th, 2016, 09:53 AM
GREAT VIDEO!!!
I need spin pins...!!!
I'm on my way to Aldi to buy lapushka's favorite conditioner and next to Aldi is Rossmann, a drugstore where I can bus spin pins!!!
THANK YOU!!!:happydance::applause:cheer:

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 10:19 AM
:applause

Very nice video tutorial, Arctic! I will give this one a try. My pre-LHC go-to style was a folded pull-through bun (sometimes folded twice when my hair was on the longer side!) that I was not very kind to, and this gives a similar look but much prettier.

GREAT VIDEO!!!
I need spin pins...!!!
I'm on my way to Aldi to buy lapushka's favorite conditioner and next to Aldi is Rossmann, a drugstore where I can bus spin pins!!!
THANK YOU!!!:happydance::applause:cheer:

I'm so happy you liked it! Let me know when you try it, both of you! I hope it works!!! :cheer:

meteor
March 7th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Wow! Great job! :thumbsup: Thanks so much for the video, Arctic! :flowers: Such a nice style! :applause Reminds me a bit of a nice chignon. :)

Though I have problems with working with whole loose length like this, this tutorial makes me wonder if maybe I could start with a few braids and then work with them to create that bun? That would likely create looped braids as the "fan"? :hmm:

MsPharaohMoan
March 7th, 2016, 11:53 AM
This was very easy to watch, your hand movements are so calm. Also (in the first variation) you kept pulling hair utensils out of your mouth and with the music it felt like a magic act: how many pins is she holding in her mouth? -jazz hands-

Adelain
March 7th, 2016, 12:43 PM
Thank you for this tutorial! The half-pulled through ponytail buns never worked for me, but I really like your version and it works even with waist lenght hair :)

Cg
March 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Great tutorial, Arctic, thank you! I often do something somewhat similar but tried your version and it actually worked on my extremely slippery hair (between bsl and waist but fine and thin) with just 6 crinkly u-pins. So happy with a style that depends on no products or elastic yet holds and doesn't look puny.

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 01:09 PM
Wow! Great job! :thumbsup: Thanks so much for the video, Arctic! :flowers: Such a nice style! :applause Reminds me a bit of a nice chignon. :)

Though I have problems with working with whole loose length like this, this tutorial makes me wonder if maybe I could start with a few braids and then work with them to create that bun? That would likely create looped braids as the "fan"? :hmm:

Thank you! I've been meaning to make this tutorial for a looooong time, but always postponed and then decided to not even think about tutorials and so on, but finally after almost a year since I figured these methods out here it finally is :D

I can't quite picture what you mean, but would love to see or hear if you try this, or your own braided version. Some kind of braided fan does sound like it could look great. Like a upside down braided gibson tuck but nothing like it at the same time :D

This was very easy to watch, your hand movements are so calm. Also (in the first variation) you kept pulling hair utensils out of your mouth and with the music it felt like a magic act: how many pins is she holding in her mouth? -jazz hands-

Thank you. I did try to keep my movements calm for clarity's sake. Also, sharing a home with a timid, easily scared rescue dog does that to me, and I have started to avoid sudden movements even when I'm not thinking about it. Animals love it! Maybe my subconscience thought that viewers would be scared with more speed :D

I was lucky to find that music, while it's nothing special in itself, it fit so perfectly with the video without me even trying!

I did take lot of pins from the table, which would be between me and the camera, but I cut those off when I edited :)

By the way it is very weird to see myself doing my hair like this; I have had no idea how I look like from the back when I braid or bun, and it's interesting, nothing like I would expect!

Thank you for this tutorial! The half-pulled through ponytail buns never worked for me, but I really like your version and it works even with waist lenght hair :)

That's wonderful to hear! Thank you!

Great tutorial, Arctic, thank you! I often do something somewhat similar but tried your version and it actually worked on my extremely slippery hair (between bsl and waist but fine and thin) with just 6 crinkly u-pins. So happy with a style that depends on no products or elastic yet holds and doesn't look puny.

That's very encouraging to hear this works on slippery hair too! So you didn't use spin pins or bobby pins to hold the base of the bun at all then? Did it hold well?

lapushka
March 7th, 2016, 01:16 PM
Nice! How long is your hair, approximately? :)

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 01:29 PM
Thanks Lapushka! I just claimed APL last month, so very short on LHC standards :D

Cg
March 7th, 2016, 02:19 PM
Thank you! I've been meaning to make this tutorial for a looooong time, but always postponed and then decided to not even think about tutorials and so on, but finally after almost a year since I figured these methods out here it finally is :D

I can't quite picture what you mean, but would love to see or hear if you try this, or your own braided version. Some kind of braided fan does sound like it could look great. Like a upside down braided gibson tuck but nothing like it at the same time :D

Thank you. I did try to keep my movements calm for clarity's sake. Also, sharing a home with a timid, easily scared rescue dog does that to me, and I have started to avoid sudden movements even when I'm not thinking about it. Animals love it! Maybe my subconscience thought that viewers would be scared with more speed :D

I was lucky to find that music, while it's nothing special in itself, it fit so perfectly with the video without me even trying!

I did take lot of pins from the table, which would be between me and the camera, but I cut those off when I edited :)

By the way it is very weird to see myself doing my hair like this; I have had no idea how I look like from the back when I braid or bun, and it's interesting, nothing like I would expect!

That's wonderful to hear! Thank you!

That's very encouraging to hear this works on slippery hair too! So you didn't use spin pins or bobby pins to hold the base of the bun at all then? Did it hold well?

No spins or bobbies, just six long crinkly u-pins. It's still holding.

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 02:24 PM
That's good to hear, Cg, U-shape hair pins are probably one of the most friendliest hair accessories of all time. I can't see them being damaging even if one tries to! I have to say that I can't get the base of the bun hold on my hair with only U-pins, so that the bun would be sturdy, but maybe that will change with more length. Will be interesting to observe how trusty methods morph when the hair grows.

Silverbleed
Whoa great video :D I'm really looking forward to trying these someday.

lapushka
Thanks Lapushka! I just claimed APL last month, so very short on LHC standards :D

And look at the cute bun (variations) you can do! :D Awesome.

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Whoa great video :D I'm really looking forward to trying these someday.

Thank you! I have many style ideas for shorter hair in my blog, if you want to have a look sometimes :)

And look at the cute bun (variations) you can do! :D Awesome.

Thanks Lapushka! Yes there are surprisingly many hair styles that are doable at this length (and even sooner). I can't do many of those bun styles yet that are LHC staples, but there are still lot of hair friendly styles. I always find myself saying, when someone writes they "only have SL/APL/BSL hair" and they "can't do any hairstyle yet" that I am sure that in most cases they could and can. They may not be same styles that people with waist length and longer do, and they may need to adjust the style to suit their thickness/length/hairtype, but surely there are at least few styles they could do with little nudging to the right directions, little inspiration and little practicing.

lapushka
March 7th, 2016, 03:28 PM
Thanks Lapushka! Yes there are surprisingly many hair styles that are doable at this length (and even sooner). I can't do many of those bun styles yet that are LHC staples, but there are still lot of hair friendly styles. I always find myself saying, when someone writes they "only have SL/APL/BSL hair" and they "can't do any hairstyle yet" that I am sure that in most cases they could and can. They may not be same styles that people with waist length and longer do, and they may need to adjust the style to suit their thickness/length/hairtype, but surely there are at least few styles they could do with little nudging to the right directions, little inspiration and little practicing.

Are you kidding, if you just loop around the fingers at the start and then loop around the base and put the loop down, you have yourself a LWB! :)

Arctic
March 7th, 2016, 03:51 PM
LWB doesn't stay reliably yet on me (at least not without being too tight), but I think it's a matter of few months when it starts working.

I do have lot of styles what I can do, but I admit LWB is one I have been waiting to be able to make for a while now. I think it looks very minimalistically elegant. I loved that bun the last time I had longer hair.

lapushka
March 7th, 2016, 03:57 PM
LWB doesn't stay reliably yet on me (at least not without being too tight), but I think it's a matter of few months when it starts working.

I do have lot of styles what I can do, but I admit LWB is one I have been waiting to be able to make for a while now. I think it looks very minimalistically elegant. I loved that bun the last time I had longer hair.

Well you're almost there! Just a bit more patience. :)

ravenheather
March 7th, 2016, 04:19 PM
I just pulled this off by combining variations. I used one spin pin through the base and used a 4 prong fork to hold the fan part carefully inserted vertically behind the base and pin. My hair is tapered and slippery mbl.

Quasiquixotic
March 7th, 2016, 04:40 PM
Ooh I love this! I bet it would beautiful with flexi upins!

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 06:45 AM
I made as an experiment a left-handed version of the tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0urpN7FhcY

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 06:49 AM
I just pulled this off by combining variations. I used one spin pin through the base and used a 4 prong fork to hold the fan part carefully inserted vertically behind the base and pin. My hair is tapered and slippery mbl.

That's cool! Creativity all the way! It's really good to hear this bun can work for slippery hair types too!

Ooh I love this! I bet it would beautiful with flexi upins!

It sure would!

Mega Moose
March 10th, 2016, 07:11 AM
Spin pins are magical! I'm a huge fan of mine. And now I can look like the other cool kids at the gym without a hair elastic (those things make my hair snap and my head very uncomfortable)! :D Thanks for the tutorial.

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Spin pins are magical! I'm a huge fan of mine. And now I can look like the other cool kids at the gym without a hair elastic (those things make my hair snap and my head very uncomfortable)! :D Thanks for the tutorial.

You are welcome! Yes, spin pins are what cool kids are made of :D

missrandie
March 10th, 2016, 07:54 AM
I may have played it again just for the whimsical music :)

Looking forward to making this one once I have a little more length!

Oh, who am I kidding.. Im gonna try it right now.

ETA: nope, need more length. Lol.

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 07:57 AM
I may have played it again just for the whimsical music :)

Looking forward to making this one once I have a little more length!

Oh, who am I kidding.. Im gonna try it right now.

I started doing fan buns (without elastic) with collarbone length hair last spring. It's good chances you could do it too. Tuck the ends under the base very well, it helps heaps!

missrandie
March 10th, 2016, 08:08 AM
I started doing fan buns (without elastic) with collarbone length hair last spring. It's good chances you could do it too. Tuck the ends under the base very well, it helps heaps!

Maybe it's partly because of my post-pixie layers, but I can't even get a full loop around, let alone try to tuck them. My hair slides free like it was a fish going for freedom.

That's okay, I will try again in a few months.

ETA: post PIXIE, not post processing. Doggone phone.

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 08:09 AM
Maybe it's partly because of my post-processing layers, but I can't even get a full loop around, let alone try to tuck them. My hair slides free like it was a fish going for freedom.

That's okay, I will try again in a few months.

You probably have thicker hair than me, but like you said, it's probably doable very soon for you!

Cg
March 10th, 2016, 08:22 AM
I've found that my slippery hair needs more length than most to make specific styles. I can make this one with ultra slippery hair that is almost waist and straight hemline. Shorter slick hair needs lots more pins if not industrial glue or staples.

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 08:27 AM
Cg LOL :laugh:

mary*rose
March 10th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Oooh, ravenheather, using a fork! That's a good idea!

It's interesting to think about what kind of style works best on hair type/length, Arctic. I like that you requested that people include their kind of hair. I always like looking at the style threads because when a post starts with "This might work best on so-and-so hair," because someone else with a different hair style/length modifies it a bit to make it work for them, so that more LHCers can try it :)

It looks classy and pretty - thanks for sharing!

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Oooh, ravenheather, using a fork! That's a good idea!

It's interesting to think about what kind of style works best on hair type/length, Arctic. I like that you requested that people include their kind of hair. I always like looking at the style threads because when a post starts with "This might work best on so-and-so hair," because someone else with a different hair style/length modifies it a bit to make it work for them, so that more LHCers can try it :)

It looks classy and pretty - thanks for sharing!

You are welcome!

Yes it is interesting, and even though I've been reading and seeing hairstyles that long hair can pull of, I don't have personal experience from hair longer than BSL so it's often difficult to know how different styles might work. And my own hair is not very slippery usually, so I was a bit worried this style might not work for slippery types but I am glad I have been proven wrong!

Beborani
March 10th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Your left handed version is handy--I was able to make a variation and surprisingly my hair 'fanned'--I thought it was too piecey to fan like yours. I uploaded the picture in my album-it feels too formal for everyday style but nice for dressier occasion.

Arctic
March 10th, 2016, 12:45 PM
Your left handed version is handy--I was able to make a variation and surprisingly my hair 'fanned'--I thought it was too piecey to fan like yours. I uploaded the picture in my album-it feels too formal for everyday style but nice for dressier occasion.

This is great to hear - both that the leftie version was useful and that your hair fanned! It looks great on you! Thank you for sharing a photo!

Yes this is one those hair styles that can be both formal and not so formal. I usually wear mine just in everyday life, but might well do it for special occasions too.

languagenut
March 12th, 2016, 05:48 PM
The fan bun fan club! :cool:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K2dyYnyVCj0/VuSzTNPfOCI/AAAAAAAAAZk/3QCC3kivQ3c9dD1hFG_xHXJRfx6fTeu1g/s1600/FanBun.jpg

Arctic
March 14th, 2016, 04:41 AM
The fan bun fan club! :cool:

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-K2dyYnyVCj0/VuSzTNPfOCI/AAAAAAAAAZk/3QCC3kivQ3c9dD1hFG_xHXJRfx6fTeu1g/s1600/FanBun.jpg

Thank you for posting your photo! Like I said in the other thread, this bun looks amazing in your hair! :thumbsup: Now it's proved that even long and thick hair is able to be put into this bun!

Arctic
June 17th, 2017, 07:35 AM
This is a great summer hair style, so bumping the thread up!

rachdun
June 17th, 2017, 07:47 AM
Your bun looks great languagenut.

Arctic
June 17th, 2017, 08:33 AM
Your bun looks great languagenut.

Yes it does, very much like what I think as French chignon (sleek low bun, often a bit dressier).

pandabarrier
June 17th, 2017, 10:11 AM
Arctic thanks for making the tutorial. It's very easy to follow the instructions, I did the first version.
My hair is hip length, tapered, very very slippery. I used 2 spin pins, 2 mini spin pins, 5 U pins. I shook my head and jumped a few times to test the stability of the bun, it's still on my head! And it's very comfy.
DH even commented that I made a new bun in record time (~10 min) instead of half day of frustration. :cheer:

Arctic
June 17th, 2017, 10:15 AM
Arctic thanks for making the tutorial. It's very easy to follow the instructions, I did the first version.
My hair is hip length, tapered, very very slippery. I used 2 spin pins, 2 mini spin pins, 5 U pins. I shook my head and jumped a few times to test the stability of the bun, it's still on my head! And it's very comfy.
DH even commented that I made a new bun in record time (~10 min) instead of half day of frustration. :cheer:

So happy that it worked for you! Also thanks for giving details hair stats, it helps others to gauge whether it'll work for them, too!

diddiedaisy
June 17th, 2017, 12:02 PM
Thanks for bumping this. I'm going to give it another try, last time my hair was a bit thin to get a decent loop going. It's a bit longer now so it might work this time. I think I'll go and get some spin pins on Monday, I miss my looped pony bun, but it's a bit rough on my hair from the band and it does break my hair at the crown. :)

PixieP
June 17th, 2017, 06:56 PM
I can testify that this makes for awesome space buns!

diddiedaisy
June 18th, 2017, 03:52 AM
Woohoo, I actually managed it!!!! The only problem is I can see some of one of the spin pins at the back. Maybe I need a mini or its just down to practise. Either way I'm not starting again and it will give anyone standing behind me something to ponder on haha

Thanks Arctic :)

Arctic
June 19th, 2017, 07:52 AM
Thanks for bumping this. I'm going to give it another try, last time my hair was a bit thin to get a decent loop going. It's a bit longer now so it might work this time. I think I'll go and get some spin pins on Monday, I miss my looped pony bun, but it's a bit rough on my hair from the band and it does break my hair at the crown. :)

Woohoo, I actually managed it!!!! The only problem is I can see some of one of the spin pins at the back. Maybe I need a mini or its just down to practise. Either way I'm not starting again and it will give anyone standing behind me something to ponder on haha

Thanks Arctic :)

I'm happy it work, it was you who inspired me to finally make a tutorial as I had read you miss the looped pony bun!

Oh gosh I would buy mini spin pins in a second if they would be available here! I can see so much use for those, like making spin pin ponytails! They also only come in black here (or at least I haven't seen other colours), but if you can find them in gold or other light colours it would help camouflage them. Or you could maybe insert the spin pins in more shallow ^ shape, so the ends of the pins would be almost covered by the fanned hair.

I can testify that this makes for awesome space buns!

:thumbsup:

pandabarrier
October 27th, 2017, 08:27 PM
Arctic I did your fan bun today, second variation, folded backward. My hair is almost TBL now, I used 4 fingers to make the loop.

I lost some spin pins, so I used only one spin pin for the base, and because I was running out of time, I used a mini spin pin on each side to fan the loop, instead of u-pins. The bun was bouncing back and forth because I didn’t have enough spin pins to begin with, so I inserted a hair stick vertically thru the bun.

It didn’t looked like fan bun anymore and ended up looking very round, but it was a very secure updo, I didn’t have to redo my hair not even once, and stayed sleek even in the end of the day (when my hair usually looks like a fuzzball).

leayellena
October 28th, 2017, 12:03 AM
Hello all,

I decided to make a tutorial of my Hair Friendly Fan Bun methods (even thought I've been saying I won't be making new videos for time being, I was inspired, so decided to act on it).

I have just seen so many people missing their half-pulled through ponytail buns, and not knowing any hair friendly alternatives/replacements. And I had an alternative, I have been "sitting on it" since late spring 2015. So hopefully by making this tutorial many people will be able to make their old favourite's similar looking, but hair friendly cousin.

This style is also great for those who like bigger buns and cannot lie, yet are lacking in the hair department. :)

And those who are looking modern, fun, easy, hair friendly new styles.

My Fan Bun versions are:

* hair friendly
* damage-free
* elastics-free
* no teasing
* no styling products
* no twisting
* comfortable

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBdhOc3tPA
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIBdhOc3tPA)

Link to my blog, where I write some more about it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125391

As always, I would love to hear if you try these, and do they work for you. Please also write your hair type and length here (also if it is slippery), so we can start to see patterns, maybe, to whom this style could work. I assume it's best for shorter lengths and not very slippery hair.

Since I'm a big YouTube star with my two hidden hair videos (lol), I want to give credits for someone who inspired me to "just do the video already", our DiddieDaisy. :flowers: I hope these works for you Diddie! And everyone else too!

PS. I think with longer hair one could do a nice chignon with these methods, lower down near the nape of the neck. My own hair is not long enough to test it.

ETA: I made an exprimental left-handed version of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0urpN7FhcY, embedded video posted in THIS (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136761&p=3186206&viewfull=1#post3186206)post (because only one of them is allowed per post).

I remember my grand-grandma doing the first, the fourth and the fifth variations

ReadingRenee
October 29th, 2017, 09:09 PM
Im so glad that this was bumped up. I didn't have either a hair fork or spin pins when this was first posted. But now I have both, so I tried the fork variation and I liked it.

Then I decided to try a lazy wrap bun with my fork but once I had all my hair wrapped, I realized I was in pretty much the same position as the as the fan bun, so instead of inserting my fork like a lazy wrap, I fanned out the loop and fastened it like Arctic demonstrates in the fan bun tutorial. It came out looking so cool! It is a much more fluffy looking bun than my buns usually look. Of course, I did this at bed time and I have no good picture but I thought I would share in case anyone wanted to try it. I did have to use one bobby pin to pin the top of the bun closer to my head because I feel like I look weird with my bun sticking off my head on top. Really this is basically the same as the fan bun, just positioned differently on my head.

https://i.imgur.com/yAFf758.jpg

Eta: Now I see that Arctic mentioned that in her PS of doing a chignon. That is exactly what I did. I might try lower on my neck tomorrow and with spin pins. :)

Suze
October 30th, 2017, 03:40 AM
Happy this thread was bumped up! Nice tutorial Arctic! Since a LWB still isn't doable for me this might be such angood option for me. Will give it a go tonight, will post back with results.