PDA

View Full Version : I miss the straight hair

M.McDonough
March 7th, 2016, 08:58 AM
Okay so here's the deal. I haven't straightened my hair in 8 months and I don't wanna use heat.
Looking back at some old photos made me miss the straight hair. Do you think I should try this? Do you think it's safe?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IthAGylGvgM

samanthaa
March 7th, 2016, 09:07 AM
I can't imagine that method would produce results similar to a traditional hair straightener. At least on my hair, which is straight, the placement of those elastics would result in waves. I can't imagine it pulling out waves/curls for people with waves/curls, but I could be wrong.

meteor
March 7th, 2016, 09:16 AM
That may work, depending on your natural wave/curl pattern. For weaker wavies, even just combing hair down as it's drying can be enough, but for stronger curlies these "caterpillar" braids would not be enough...

But worth a try. :thumbsup: If you put in and remove the elastics carefully, it should be safe.

Something similar to this that will create a stronger straightening effect (also without heat) is this technique (from Northern Africa) of wrapping a tight cord/ribbon/pantyhose/elastic around the whole damp length and letting it dry (say, overnight). It's called "le kardoune" (http://www.edelweiss-cheveux.com/2014/05/kardoune-lisser-ses-cheveux-sans.html) in French, but I don't know if it has a name in English, sorry. :oops:

Alternatively, hair wrapping (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpG0LaYCMg) (kind of like using your head as a giant roller and pinning hair around) can work, but it can cause tangles on long or thick hair, so be careful. ;)

M.McDonough
March 7th, 2016, 10:13 AM
That may work, depending on your natural wave/curl pattern. For weaker wavies, even just combing hair down as it's drying can be enough, but for stronger curlies these "caterpillar" braids would not be enough...

But worth a try. :thumbsup: If you put in and remove the elastics carefully, it should be safe.

Something similar to this that will create a stronger straightening effect (also without heat) is this technique (from Northern Africa) of wrapping a tight cord/ribbon/pantyhose/elastic around the whole damp length and letting it dry (say, overnight). It's called "le kardoune" (http://www.edelweiss-cheveux.com/2014/05/kardoune-lisser-ses-cheveux-sans.html) in French, but I don't know if it has a name in English, sorry. :oops:

Alternatively, hair wrapping (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CpG0LaYCMg) (kind of like using your head as a giant roller and pinning hair around) can work, but it can cause tangles on long or thick hair, so be careful. ;)

That sounds good, but honestly , I don't think combing or brushing your hair is safe after washing it. The hair is quite fragile when it's wet/damp, that's what I know.

Wusel
March 7th, 2016, 11:24 AM
That sounds good, but honestly , I don't think combing or brushing your hair is safe after washing it. The hair is quite fragile when it's wet/damp, that's what I know.

I always detangle/comb my hair when it's wet after washing with a wide tooth comb. It's necessary because when I detangle when it's dry it's a disaster with velcro-hair like mine. And I never had split ends or breakage. Even at waist. Not even one. It depends on the hair.

parkmikii
March 7th, 2016, 12:52 PM

Is the Kardoune available internationally? :o
I did see the link to the French shop, but sadly I have no one in France :/

meteor
March 7th, 2016, 03:18 PM

Yes, it can be problematic for some hair types, but combing down hair is still possibly the least damaging way of straightening hair, it's just that it's usually not enough for most people, it usually works only for weak, loose waves, certainly not curls (they normally only get poofy from this).
Basically, if you can stretch hair while it's drying (in hair wraps, on jumbo rollers, wrapped a-la "kardoune", in caterpillar braids, etc...), it works like a heatless wet-set. :)

Is the Kardoune available internationally? :o
I did see the link to the French shop, but sadly I have no one in France :/

Oh, no worries, parkmikii :), you don't need to buy anything special! :flower: You just need to use any tight, rigid ribbon/cord, pantyhose/tights... anything of that kind of texture. :)
If you want to see how rigid/soft it is and how it can be placed on hair, here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWnnCejjQY
I know some people do "pigtails" with it instead of just 1 ponytail (it helps to section thicker hair)

parkmikii
March 7th, 2016, 09:54 PM
Yes, it can be problematic for some hair types, but combing down hair is still possibly the least damaging way of straightening hair, it's just that it's usually not enough for most people, it usually works only for weak, loose waves, certainly not curls (they normally only get poofy from this).
Basically, if you can stretch hair while it's drying (in hair wraps, on jumbo rollers, wrapped a-la "kardoune", in caterpillar braids, etc...), it works like a heatless wet-set. :)

Oh, no worries, parkmikii :), you don't need to buy anything special! :flower: You just need to use any tight, rigid ribbon/cord, pantyhose/tights... anything of that kind of texture. :)
If you want to see how rigid/soft it is and how it can be placed on hair, here's a tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBWnnCejjQY
I know some people do "pigtails" with it instead of just 1 ponytail (it helps to section thicker hair)

Thank you a lot! Now I really want to give it a try :D

yahirwaO.o
March 7th, 2016, 10:33 PM
It might be super tight consuming but try all the methods during one day and it should give you very straightish hair.

My suggestion would be big jumbo rollers, let them air dry and then do the cord thingy or wrap it. A lot of relaxed black ladies do this and works very well, like I mention is pretty time consuming but does work!.

Some people can get gorgeous bun waves by putting it up in a tight bun when damp and usually relaxes pulls down the curls and roots a lot which is also a good base for getting straight with a next method.

If I had your texture I would actually enhance and play with it. It's a lot easier for your hair to hold multiple shapes than going smooth straight........ Ugh and humidity pretty much kill all the effort and being hair slave straight is not worth it.

Pat Wright
March 8th, 2016, 07:10 AM
It might be super tight consuming but try all the methods during one day and it should give you very straightish hair.

My suggestion would be big jumbo rollers, let them air dry and then do the cord thingy or wrap it. A lot of relaxed black ladies do this and works very well, like I mention is pretty time consuming but does work!.

Some people can get gorgeous bun waves by putting it up in a tight bun when damp and usually relaxes pulls down the curls and roots a lot which is also a good base for getting straight with a next method.

If I had your texture I would actually enhance and play with it. It's a lot easier for your hair to hold multiple shapes than going smooth straight........ Ugh and humidity pretty much kill all the effort and being hair slave straight is not worth it.

I agree with jumbo rollers. I use large foam rollers. It's the only way my damaged hair looks smooth.

M.McDonough
March 8th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Does anybody here actually straighten their hair with a flat iron or any sort of heat?

YvetteVarie
March 9th, 2016, 03:25 AM
I use a flat iron, but very infrequently. The last time I flatironed is more than a year ago.

I normally straighten using rollers or African threading (which is similar to the North African method).

yahirwaO.o
March 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM
Does anybody here actually straighten their hair with a flat iron or any sort of heat?

I do a couple of times every month. My hair is already pretty straight with a slight wave (siggy and avatar) when air dried so I get a good silky result with just blow drying. Sometimes when I want stick dead straight hair for going out, just pass the straight iron no more than 2 times in random spots at lowest temperature.

Keep in mind I always deep condition-mask after using a straightener and regularly trim my hair every 2 months so I have very little damage. If u want to grow your hair super long, avoiding all type of heat is much better.