PDA

View Full Version : Trim or no trim?

Of the Fae
March 6th, 2016, 09:54 AM
I'm probably far from being the first with this question. However, I need some advice!
I've been mulling about wether I should trim or not because I have not had a cut since '14 and the front locks had been untouched for 2,5 years even.
The overall quality of my hair is very good, but since it's really fine it breaks easily, and since I've been S&Ding, it's as if I'm noticing more and more splits and white dots..
The issue here is that most of them are not at the bottom of my hair but further up, just below where I tie off my braids, which would mean that trimming is at least two inches or so and even then I would not get rid of a number of them. But I'm not sure if I have the capacity to S&D them all.. it seems almost as if there are more than before, even though I have special scissors just for my hair so it can't be that.
I would prefer not losing too much length, but I'd really like to know wether an amount of splits is normal for BSL+ hair and how far one should go to lose them. Also I might want to even up my hemline, but I fear that the results of that would be ruined by the higher splits (they would still be there with a very small trim). What would be the best course of action in this case?

Thanks in advance!

LoveSnap
March 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM
It sounds like you know you need a trim but are not ready for how much the trim may need to be. If your splits are not traveling, why not trim a little off your ends, grow, then trim again until you have trimmed the portion in question. It may take longer this way but you can keep your length.

lapushka
March 6th, 2016, 09:58 AM
I would just keep doing S&D, and if you do decide to trim, do it minimally and maybe join the microtrimming crowd.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! :)

Of the Fae
March 6th, 2016, 12:47 PM
Thank you both :) Hm it's hard, but I suppose I'll take the middle road and do a microtrim!

Arctic
March 6th, 2016, 01:11 PM
After your trim, maybe you could find gentler way of tying off your braids, if you think they are the culprit.

Of the Fae
March 6th, 2016, 01:17 PM
I use bands without metal pieces, are there any ways to prevent damage apart from avoiding the metal connector-thingies?

Sarahlabyrinth
March 6th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Can you braid and then pin it up in an updo so you don't need to put bands on the end of your braid? The ends will have better protection that way too.

bunneh.
March 6th, 2016, 02:58 PM
Keep doing S&D I think that will help quite a bit in the long run because it prevents any splits from traveling up and breaking off. Perhaps you will see more and more split ends as your hair gets longer especially if you're not taking excellent care of your hair in case it's fragile. Try wearing different hairstyles, don0't just keep braiding it for the rest of your life, perhaps try buns in different locations on your scalp, try different braids (french, dutch, english, in the back, on the left side, on the right side,...) and so on. If you want to wear a braid try tying it off with a silk ribbon or a scrunchie. Perhaps you could braid a scarf in your hair and use the ends of the scarf to tie off your braid.

Of the Fae
March 6th, 2016, 03:07 PM
Oh that's really good advice Sarahlabyrinth and Bunneh!
I have tried not using bands in my braided updo which is a little hard due to the smoothness of my hair, but a scarf braided in might just be the answer! I just signed up to the month updo challenge to see where that will go and will be doing a microtrim tomorrow for evening out :) I have been taking improper care of it for a while, wearing it down too often and getting stuck on my bag and getting wind-tangles. These past weeks I've been treating it like the antique lace that was advised on here and my ends already feel a little bit better, so I hope all of that will help a big deal in aiding my growth!
This is exciting for me, because in my whole life I never made it past BSL- and I haven't had it this long for a long time.. and so I am not used to dealing with hair of this length!

turtlelover
March 6th, 2016, 06:02 PM
Why not trim like an inch instead of 2, and then see if that takes enough splits/white dots off to make S&D more of an option? You could always trim later if it doesn't do that trick.

school of fish
March 6th, 2016, 06:12 PM
In place of elastics I've been cutting the legs off of old opaque lycra pantyhose and cutting 1" rounds off the legs - very stretchy, very hair-friendly :) If you want ties instead of rounds, just snip the rounds to make a stretchy tie - again very hair friendly.

calmyogi
March 6th, 2016, 06:37 PM
I have doen the pantyhose hairties and I liked them. They would'nt hold a ponytail, but they would hold the end of a braid nice.

missmagoo
March 6th, 2016, 09:16 PM
My hair is fine and fragile, and yes I do think that splits are just part of it once your hair gets to be past BSL. I agree that finding another way to tie off braids is probably a good idea. Braids have actually always seemed like a terrible way to protect hair since the most fragile part, the ends, is exposed.

SaraJayne
March 6th, 2016, 10:03 PM
I use Kitsch hair ties - they are little stretchy ribbon bands which come in really cute prints. I have very fine, slippy hair and I thought they might not hold, but they are fine. I now know what to do with my laddered stockings, though :)

emmadilemma
March 6th, 2016, 10:20 PM
Hi! This is my first time ever responding to a question on here so I hope I'm doing it right! I think you should do a dusting. I can send you some youtube links to tutorials but basically, this is a very time consuming method but it works without losing length. there are 3 techniques, and if your splits are really bad, I would do all three. I did, and my hair looked SO much healthier afterwards. but this isnt everyones cup of tea so do your research and see if its right for you :) method one is taking one inch flat sections with your hair and creating like an overlap with three fingers- hair goes under first finger, over second, under third. and you slide your fingers down the hair shaft, and whatever little ends pop up are generally breakage and you just trim them off at the tip which cuts off the dead end. obviously go all around your head and do this. method two is taking small sections of your hair and twisting it backwards in a twist, then going down that twist and cutting off the little ends that split out of the twist. then twist the same twist forward and do the same, and do this all over your head. After I did this I also took all of my hair at once and did a giant twist, just to get any little extra ones i may have missed. method three is called 'search and destroy' which is basically exactly what it says. what I do is sit in front of my laptop while the screen is bright, and take small sections of the ends of my hair and hold it up in front of my eyes in front of the screen, and focus on the strands. then I just cut any splits off I see. I do this casually just for upkeep too, when I'm just chilling watching tv. and of course you could also do the classic just trim a little bit off every month or every other month! :) Someone on youtube, I cant recall her name, described dusting as like wiping the dust off a beautiful piece of furniture. once the dust is gone, the (healthy hair) beautiful piece of furniture is revealed. Hope this helped!

Deborah
March 6th, 2016, 11:14 PM
I think your hair would benefit from a two inch trim. That amount of length change is hardly noticeable visually, but your ends would be more blunt and fresh, and your hair will feel and look overall better. I have never once regretted a nice trim.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

vega
March 7th, 2016, 01:00 AM
I would trim from what you mentioned your hair seems very damaged i would defiently trim before it splits all the way to the top

Jumper
March 7th, 2016, 03:06 AM
I will say as much as I hate the loss of length, I do enjoy freshly cut ends. It feels like a new start.

I don't worry so much about getting rid of all the split ends in my entire head of hair. That would take a pretty significant chop and by the time it grew back there would be new splits.

Of the Fae
March 7th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Okay guys, I did a hair mask with oil, cinnamon and honey last week. This week a CWC for the first in a very long time, did a microtrim on the very longest ends, and S&D'd most of the splits higher up. Most of my splits have not travelled far, they are only about 2 mms luckily. So that did not lose me a lot of length. Here are my results and I am quite amazed by the impact because I thought it would hardly make any difference.
Note that the first picture also has braid waves, but apart from that the ends seem so different and they feel very soft now

BEFORE (though I believe I did do the honey mask here already):
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/faelady2/20160304_174916_HDR.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/faelady2/media/20160304_174916_HDR.jpg.html)

AFTER:
http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i467/faelady2/20160307_104934_HDR.jpg (http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/faelady2/media/20160307_104934_HDR.jpg.html)

Oh and don't mind the dirty mirror haha

Edit: Also, the color seems darker, this is due to the light being indirect in the second pic and direct in the first. My henna varies between these shades depending on the light.

lapushka
March 7th, 2016, 06:57 AM
I think it looks amazing in both pictures. What's clear is you can hardly see a length change, so that is *great*!

Of the Fae
March 7th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Thank you Lapushka :) I'm quite happy with how it looks now. I'm a perfectionist I guess, but it's probably not possible to be entirely split-free all over my length :P
I'll use all of the good advice in this thread for my updo's and microtrims in the future! Off to Waist :D