PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying shampoo questions

Persiangirl01
March 6th, 2016, 05:09 AM
Hi there. I'm a newbie to LHC. I've seen a lot of suggestions online about using a clarifying shampoo. I have a few questions:

What are some good Clarifying shampoos available? I only know of the Tresseme one. Is that any good?

How often should I do a clarifying shampoo if I don't use any product in my hair? I have type 2a/b virgin hair and only shampoo and condition 2 times a week, with sulphate-free, Vegan shampoo and conditioner. I never blow dry my hair either.

Does clarifying shampoos fight dandruff causing bacteria? I am extremely prone to dandruff in Winter. :(

Thank you! :)

meteor
March 6th, 2016, 11:47 AM
I liked Neutrogena Anti-Residue, for example, but there are lots and lots of good clarifying shampoos out there. If you can find one that's both clarifying and chelating, e.g. Joico Clarify, Kenra Clarifying, Pantene Damage Detox, etc... it's probably even better, because then you can remove both product build-up and mineral build-up from water.

The frequency of use is determined by your own preference, of course. I use them on ad hoc basis. It helps if you know your hair's standard baseline for feel and behaviour and can identify build-up early on: e.g. grabby, dry, snap-prone, lank, dull, coated, plastic-y, hard to style, etc... - then it's often sign of build-up and time to clarify. :)

Clarifying shampoos are not meant to fight SD type of dandruff (but anti-fungals are!), but they do have higher % of effective surfactants than the more moisturizing shampoos (often marketed "for daily use" or "for dry hair"), and since they have higher concentration of stronger surfactants, they can "degrease" hair better, which is a good thing for those who are prone to dandruff caused by SD. If you are prone to SD, I'd recommend investing in anti-fungal shampoos (e.g. ketoconazole-based Nizoral or Regenepure Dr., selenium-sulfide-based Selsun Blue, etc...) for flare-ups and use a shampoo for oily skin (or more cleansing formulas) at other times, to keep sebum in check.
But if your dandruff is caused by dryness, then I'd go for gentler, more moisturizing and less stripping formulas. And if you can't get dandruff under control with anti-dandruff products, it may be time to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis and to treat scalp with the right treatments. :flower:

gthlvrmx
March 6th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I also like the Neutrogena Anti Residue shampoo. There is also Prell for clarifying and I think Suave has their own clarifying shampoo as well. I haven't checked Tresseme before to see if it's any good as a clarifying. A good clarifying shampoo should be free of many ingredients that cause buildup, and sometimes as an added bonus, sometimes may have a chelating ingredient in it like EDTA to get rid of mineral build up in your hair. Even if you don't use any products in your hair, it is a good idea to clarify once in a while if your hair has shown any signs that it needs to be clarified (conditioners do build up, and many shampoos do build up as well but not as much as conditioners).

Have you seen a doctor about the dandruff?

lapushka
March 6th, 2016, 12:09 PM
I have a simple one, by Pantene, their clarifying shampoo (clear bottle, navy top). I don't even know if they still make this one anymore. My bottles are about a year old. I try and clarify with this about every 2 months / 6 weeks. Sometimes I forget. It doesn't matter that much if all you do is condition and wash with regular shampoo. But sometimes it's a great new kickstart, esp. if you use a lot of silicones like I do.

Persiangirl01
March 7th, 2016, 12:22 AM
Thank you ladies!

Gthlvrmx, I haven't been to a doctor for my dandruff. It only occurs in Winter so I havd just assumed it is frm dry scalp, but I was reading an article about fungi that cause dandruff and I guess I just started over thinking things 😁.

I will keep a look out for the Neutrogena shampoo. I just don't know if it is sold in my country. I definitely think I will go for a gentle clarifier.

reilly0167
March 7th, 2016, 05:29 AM
I just use Suave clarifying shampoo. I use it at least once just to rid of build up.