PDA

View Full Version : Clarifying Disaster

SaraJayne
March 5th, 2016, 11:23 PM
Hey folks,

So I clarified for the first time last night. I did it because all the moisturising treatments I've been using don't seem to be making much difference, my ends are a little dry, and my hair is very fine so I don't want build up to be weighing it down. I used Tresemme Deep Cleansing shampoo, which is marketed as being gentle enough for daily use - ideal for my delicate hair and slightly sensitive skin, right? Wrong!!

Hair felt squeaky clean in the shower. I used a new no cone conditioner (Elvive Extraordinary Clay) and no cone leave in (Tresemme Hydrating Mist) after and when it was more or less dry I went to add a tiny bit of jojoba to seal in the moisture. What moisture? It was incredibly static and felt 'too clean', if that's possible! I used to get static a lot as a kid and a bit when I used straighteners, but haven't done for the past 6 months since I quit heat. I used some more of the hydrating mist plus the oil and went to bed. My scalp was itching and I couldn't sleep. So I got up and put some overnight moisture balm on it. This has cones, but I was desperate. I rarely use it as it's too heavy for my hair, but this morning it's not greasy at all it has all soaked in. I also had to get up in the night to put lotion on my hands and legs - that shampoo has left me so dried out!

I've searched and searched regarding clarifying and static but all the results suggest it as a cure, not a cause. My scalp is still itchy and I'm not sure if washing again with my usual shampoo is a good idea - will it get rid of any trace of the Tresemme, or dry my scalp even more? I want to use a scalp oil followed by a pre conditioning mask and deep conditioner that I know make my hair soft. They have cones but I'm past caring about that! So should I wash first or just wet? I'm desperate to cure this itch :( And is there an ingredient I'm likely to have reacted to, or should I just assume all clarifying shampoo will have a similar effect on me? Thanks.

mz_butterfly
March 5th, 2016, 11:42 PM
I suspect it's the clay. Many people have reported very drying results after using clay.

I'd try something else the next time. If I was having that much discomfort after the clay shampoo, I would have rewashed my hair using only conditioner and then applied some leave in, plain conditioner or oil.

SaraJayne
March 5th, 2016, 11:49 PM
Thanks. The conditioner was clay but the shampoo wasn't, although I did use the conditioner all through the back, lengths and ends of my hair to moisturise post clarifying, and now I think about it, the back is more itchy... I suspect neither suit me particularly well.

I did think about trying cowashing, but I would like to use the oil, which would mean shampoo. Not sure which is the best option of the two. It's Ikarov hair stimulant oil, but it feels lovely on and I've had good results with it so far.

ChloeDharma
March 6th, 2016, 01:52 AM
Thanks. The conditioner was clay but the shampoo wasn't, although I did use the conditioner all through the back, lengths and ends of my hair to moisturise post clarifying, and now I think about it, the back is more itchy... I suspect neither suit me particularly well.

I did think about trying cowashing, but I would like to use the oil, which would mean shampoo. Not sure which is the best option of the two. It's Ikarov hair stimulant oil, but it feels lovely on and I've had good results with it so far.

Is that oil in a base of almond oil? I'm going from memory here but almond oil is very softening plus it has scalp soothing EO's in it. Given your hair and scalp are so dried out I would 2nd the advice to do a CO wash even with the oil in. I used to always CO wash and get out heavy oilings just fine with it. At this point you don't want anything drying on your scalp and hair particularly if you are itching that much.
I've also heard that clays can be very drying, I'm prone to dry tangly frizz so haven't risked trying them myself because of this.

turtlelover
March 6th, 2016, 02:01 AM
I would suspect the clay conditioner, personally. I've had similar issues with such products. I'd suggest clarifying again and using a conditioner that you already know and like, and then you will know the culprit for sure.

lapushka
March 6th, 2016, 04:25 AM
What's your usual routine like for washing?

If it is CO-washing, then maybe next time a CWC for clarifying with the first C touching your scalp might be better.

Nique1202
March 6th, 2016, 04:32 AM
If the Elvive isn't your normal conditioner, I would clarify once more (to get the clay out of your hair) then use your regular conditioner/routine and see how your hair feels. Clarifying is drying on its own, and it strips off all the buildup that weighs down the hair and makes it not get static, so it could definitely be at least in part the clarifying.

If the Elvive is your usual conditioner, then maybe it's entirely the clarifying. That doesn't mean that the clarifying was bad for your hair, it means that your hair was getting too weighed down with all the products you'd layered in trying to moisturize it, and the static is its normal state of being. 6 months without a straightener still means your ends are prone to the static they used to get, since not all your ends are fresh growth unless you've got quite short hair and you've had it trimmed out. If you go back to your old routine, the static should go away in a couple of washes, or you can do a deep treatment or leave some oil or conditioner in your hair to weigh it down sooner.

SaraJayne
March 6th, 2016, 04:42 AM
OK, so the Elvive is new. Actually, everything I used yesterday is new. I bought the conditioner and the leave in as they are both no cone to use after clarifying.

My usual routine is cwc with Hello Hydration or Dove, the one with the nutritious oils. I had to go for a long run this morning (I'm marathon training) and I was hoping it would calm down, but it's still itching so I think I will oil, cwc as normal but add in the pre conditioning mask (I know my hair loves that) and if I'm still having issues, clarify again in a day or 2 (leave as long as poss depending on how itchy it is). Thanks so much for all the comments and suggestions. Hopefully I'll be feeling a lot less as though I have head lice in an hour or so!

SaraJayne
March 6th, 2016, 04:44 AM
Oh and I think I'll dilute the shampoo as well - only use as much as I need - and I will effectively use the first condition as though I were cowashing. Hopefully that will all help.

Obsidian
March 6th, 2016, 04:53 AM
I tried a clay mask once, worse thing I ever did to my hair. The clay made it dry and tangled with a ton of flyaway's, took multiple clarifying's to fully get the clay out.

lapushka
March 6th, 2016, 05:09 AM
I tried a clay mask once, worse thing I ever did to my hair. The clay made it dry and tangled with a ton of flyaway's, took multiple clarifying's to fully get the clay out.

Yes, but as I recall that was full-on regular grainy clay that you mixed yourself. I did that once and nearly ruined my hair.

This is a *product* and that is a little different. I have the Garnier "Ultra Doux" clay shampoo and it's one of my favorite ones for prolonging a wash, should I have to.

SaraJayne
March 6th, 2016, 05:58 AM
So glad I didn't go full on clay now!

meteor
March 6th, 2016, 04:59 PM
If the Elvive isn't your normal conditioner, I would clarify once more (to get the clay out of your hair) then use your regular conditioner/routine and see how your hair feels. Clarifying is drying on its own, and it strips off all the buildup that weighs down the hair and makes it not get static, so it could definitely be at least in part the clarifying.

If the Elvive is your usual conditioner, then maybe it's entirely the clarifying. That doesn't mean that the clarifying was bad for your hair, it means that your hair was getting too weighed down with all the products you'd layered in trying to moisturize it, and the static is its normal state of being. 6 months without a straightener still means your ends are prone to the static they used to get, since not all your ends are fresh growth unless you've got quite short hair and you've had it trimmed out. If you go back to your old routine, the static should go away in a couple of washes, or you can do a deep treatment or leave some oil or conditioner in your hair to weigh it down sooner.

^ Very well put. :agree:

SaraJayne, since you mentioned that your regular routine is CWC with heavy cones (Hello Hydration, Dove Nourishing Oil...), and now you've clarified and went for a cone-free conditioner with clay (clay is very absorbent and can be pretty drying), I think it's normal that the hair responded by being a lot more fluffy and static-y. Static is common if the hair is dry. If you need to counter-act it quickly, you can use some oils and/or silicones (e.g. a bit of silicone serum or LOC-routine).

Obsidian
March 6th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Yes, but as I recall that was full-on regular grainy clay that you mixed yourself. I did that once and nearly ruined my hair.

This is a *product* and that is a little different. I have the Garnier "Ultra Doux" clay shampoo and it's one of my favorite ones for prolonging a wash, should I have to.

You are right, it was kaolin clay I mixed up myself. The only other clay product I tried was a dry spray shampoo and it was also awful and drying. Another example of YMMV, I can't use clay on my skin either, dries me up like a piece of old leather.

SaraJayne
March 6th, 2016, 09:51 PM
Nique1202, meteor, I that all makes sense now. I have addressed it as best I can - I used a scalp oil followed by cowashing with Dove, left to sit for a while, then small amount of Dove for a light shampoo, then heaps of Maria Nila preconditioning mask (I love this product!) then Elvive Thicken Hair deep conditioner all over - it's the only deep conditioner that rinses out of my fine hair properly. All of these are tried and tested. I wanted to be less reliant on cones as I don't want to weigh down my fine hair with build up, but it seems they do suit my needs. I am, however, still trying to reduce how much styling product I use. All I added was a tiny bit of Boots Curl Creme (cone free). Incidentally, I have been cone free/CO/air dry before, a long time ago, but my hair was in a short bob then, it's now almost APL. I didn't have any static, but as I didn't clarify properly first, I guess the build up was still there.

Update for future reference, should it help anyone... Hair is now feeling less tangly than before clarifying, ends feel softer and less velcro (haven't trimmed since August last year except S&D) static has completely gone. Scalp is still a little itchy but nothing like before! So overall, kind of positive in the end.

Thanks everyone for your input. It's been a learning experience!