PDA

View Full Version : New hair or breakage? Weird coarse squiggles?

KittyCatCarrie
March 5th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Hello ladies and gents,
I have 3 questions so I figured I'd bundle them up here.

#1 ~ Not sure when I started to notice, but I suddenly seem to have a bunch of hair around my face. I'm concerned they might be breakage because when pulled back over my head they stop just about where my buns usually are. (I wear my hair in a bun 5 out of 7 days a week, but I try and change up location and bun type) Is there a way to tell new growth from breakage?

#2 ~ My braids (My prefered style when not in buns) seem to have a crazy amount of braid shredding. I have snipped off any ends that are clearly splits but how do I protect the ends that are not split that stick out?

#3 ~ When parting my hair various different ways I always find these squiggly coarse hairs along my part much shorter than all my other hairs. Do these eventually become normal hairs, and if so should I not be plucking them out when I find them?

I will post photos if that would help. Thank you all for reading my long paragraph, and for any insights and answers you have.

lapushka
March 5th, 2016, 04:46 PM
Breakage usually is blunt at the ends. New growth has a fine, slanted tip to it. I wear buns during awake time as well every day. Have done so for years. I have little wispies around my face as well, it's normal. Look at this thread:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131555

Hair can vary in texture throughout your head. Do NOT pluck hair out.

meteor
March 5th, 2016, 05:07 PM
Did your texture change? It happens sometimes and when it does, it can in some cases look like really unusually coarse hairs, some folks have mistaken them for breakage.... :hmm:

If you worry about buns and tension, try different locations for buns or doing sectioned buns from half-ups (the rest wrapped around the half-up bun) or milkmaid braids or other ways of pinning up a braid.

I'd be as gentle as possible with styling, grooming, handling, stick to lowest-manipulation updos, sleep on silky smooth materials, examine combs and brushes for possible snags or bent/worn bristles and maybe experiment with oiling (oil rinses, pre-poo oiling, LOC) for added protection and elasticity?

ALEXIAA
May 13th, 2016, 02:19 AM
The same thing and I also regularly wore my hair in a bun !! What products do you use? Put you in fixing products?

ALEXIAA
May 17th, 2016, 09:58 AM
Bonjour!
other people with those funny hair

lapis_lazuli
May 17th, 2016, 12:07 PM
I get the same squiggly coarse hairs. I just leave them be :)

genlilliana
May 17th, 2016, 12:11 PM
I get the squiggly hairs at my scalp area too...my hairdresser told me they were new growth and just leave them.

Bergelmir
May 17th, 2016, 01:24 PM
As long as there is no visible damage at the ends it is probably new growth and it should be all fine, so i do agree: Simply leave them be.

ALEXIAA
May 17th, 2016, 02:15 PM
As long as there is no visible damage at the ends it is probably new growth and it should be all fine, so i do agree: Simply leave them be.

They appeared suddenly. They are thick thick black root to tip

lapushka
May 17th, 2016, 02:18 PM

A picture would be nice, so we can see. ;) :)

Ingrid
May 17th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Squiggly dark coarse hair can sometimes be caused by hypothyroid. When I went through a period when I was hypothyroid (caused by unintentional undereating), those types of hairs started to appear. Now that my thyroid is back to normal, the hair has grown out so the squggly coarse bits have moved further down the length and the new growth is normal (smooth).

Horrorpops
May 17th, 2016, 06:56 PM
Hi OP I think those squiggy hairs are pretty normal. If you search for 'kinky', 'squiggly', 'weird course' hair etc I think tons of threads come up. The general consensus is that most people get them and they're normal :o

As far as braid shedding is going, yeah its tough. I guess that's the benefit of an updo but personally I love my braids so i just let it go!

Anya15
May 17th, 2016, 10:42 PM
I have plenty of these, most of them are new growth. I have a few long ones that are very coarse and look crimped. Not curly or wurly, but CRIMPED. :lol: I just let them be.

eadwine
May 17th, 2016, 10:47 PM
Normal. I have fine hair and there are coarse hairs in there as well, especially now that I am getting older. They are not gray, same color as the rest, but yeah.. physique changes, so does hair. :)

Bergelmir
May 18th, 2016, 10:57 AM
But is it a homogenous type of hair or can you detect any sort of damage? In term they are even at every spot and pretty black colored it seems to be new growth and not a damaged type, because a damaged type surely would never turn black all of a sudden, it would be the first time i hear about.

When you have lot of hairs it's possible you just was not spotting them until now because the length was simply too short so you simply didn't pay attention.