PDA

View Full Version : Lightening henna with hydrogen peroxide?

parkmikii
March 5th, 2016, 04:32 AM
I'd like to lighten my henna colour a little as I have a ton of shades in my hair. It's all virgin but the ends are a really pretty light orange and from about bsl up to the roots it's more of a burgundy/dark brownish with orange shines just in the sun. I did see nightshade's sun in experiment so that gave me a bit of hope, but as sun in/color oops/ colour b4 and such things aren't available here I've thought of using hydrogen peroxide instead. I have a bottle of 9% concentration lying around but I'd like to ask some questions first.
1. I will stand test since I have some sheds hairs kept but how do I know if it won't show up a lot of damage in time and is there any way to minimise the damage?
2. If it will dry the hair out which would be the best thing to use to remoisturise it and make it manageable again?

I'm just trying to weigh in the pros and cons before actually doing it.
I've also been thinking to do a strand test with 9% hydrogen peroxide only and one with hydrogen peroxide mixed with a bit of conditioner to see of that would alter the results. And feedback is appreciated :D

fiğrildi
March 5th, 2016, 05:01 AM
I have 0 experience with this, but some people said that coating the hair in coconut oil prior the bleaching did reduce the damage considerably.

parkmikii
March 5th, 2016, 05:07 AM
I have 0 experience with this, but some people said that coating the hair in coconut oil prior the bleaching did reduce the damage considerably.

Thank you!

As an update I'm doing the experiment right now :D
Hair sample results will come soon

ChloeDharma
March 5th, 2016, 05:10 AM
I personally would feel very nervous of doing this but that's just because I remember what a nightmare my hair was when growing out chemical damage.
As you intend to strand test hopefully it will go well for you. One thing to remembr though, heat increases the effect which is why when some people try to lighten their hair at home the hair near the scalp goes lighter than some of the lengths, something to bear in mind with the strand testing.

My mother was a hair dresset back in the 60's and she said that a lightening treatment similar to the one you described was popular as a regular treatment then for subtle lightening but the peroxide was mixed with shampoo instead of conditioner. I can't remember the proportions used or how long it was left on though but bear in mind this was not usually done on hennad hair.

If you do try this you could soak your hair in coconut oil before applying the peroxide as it seems to protect it from some of the damage but from what I read it needs to be given quite a long time to soak in, there is a thread on this somewhere. As for aftercare, I'd suggest a DT and something acidic to finish with, maybe honey, yogurt and conditioner would be a good one to try.

parkmikii
March 5th, 2016, 08:06 AM
Aaaand it was a failed experiment XD
I left the hydrogen peroxide on the hair for only 10 minutes and it made no change.

Before:
http://s13.postimg.org/fl2h1huqv/DSC_0467.jpg

After:
http://s23.postimg.org/ep4m07oez/DSC_0471.jpg

bunneh.
March 5th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Since they are samples I'd definitely try bleaching again for a longer time to see what happens. Henna is hard to get out though, it's possible that you will never truly get rid of it.

parkmikii
March 5th, 2016, 01:38 PM
Since they are samples I'd definitely try bleaching again for a longer time to see what happens. Henna is hard to get out though, it's possible that you will never truly get rid of it.

I'm not trying to get rid of it, I love the orange, it's just that I'd like it a little bit lighter since the top if my head is pretty dark compared to my ends :D

fiğrildi
March 5th, 2016, 02:37 PM
Is there no way to purchase Sun-In to Europe? (I assume you live in Europe, but maybe I'm wrong). Or maybe someone could buy it for you?

bunneh.
March 5th, 2016, 02:49 PM
I'm not trying to get rid of it, I love the orange, it's just that I'd like it a little bit lighter since the top if my head is pretty dark compared to my ends :D

Oops sorry. In that case perhaps experiment some more to see how long you need to leave it on or how many applications you need to do in order to get the shade you like? And to answer your questions, oil should help with minimizing damage (you could also test this on a sample and have another one to compare the condition of the hair with) and do some mask afterwards like SMT or something similar.

fiğrildi
March 5th, 2016, 02:53 PM
Also, have you considered the possibility of using honey? (Link to the honey thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148).

Be aware though, that it's raw honey you want to use, not any kind will do. And also be aware that even if it's natural, it still has a concentration of hydrogen peroxide and can cause damage (any kind of lightening will do).

Anje
March 5th, 2016, 09:35 PM
9% is pretty strong stuff! I think that's comparable to 30 volume bleach/developer. (The stuff we usually get from the pharmacy in the US is 3%, by comparison.) I'm not certain what Sun-In is, but I'm pretty sure it's less potent than yours.

Upside Down
March 7th, 2016, 01:38 PM
I did do a strand test (on my head) of 3% peroxide in pursue of a lighter shade.

Left it on for 30 min or so and it lightened veeeery lightly but dried it out epicaly.

It was not worth it for me.

I also think that maybe a better way to go about it would be to do coconut oil the night before, then spray 3% peroxide on hair and dry with a blow dryer.

At least that is what I'd do if I had the guts.

Upside Down
March 7th, 2016, 01:42 PM
Do you see the lighter strands? It is barely noticeable and one would mistake it for a play of light. My ends are slightly lighter anyways, but you can see some strands start higher up, well that bit was peroxided (it's a verb, shut up :p )

http://i1067.photobucket.com/albums/u439/mackanaopacka/Mobile%20Uploads/05EEAD8A-32AB-4E1F-97BE-A68F34851189_zpssj5h5hti.jpg

browneyedsusan
March 9th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Yay!
I love when it works out. :)

parkmikii
March 10th, 2016, 07:35 AM
Lovely hair, Upside down! I'm still thinking if to actually do it. Currently I'm sitting with henna mud on my roots. Can't wait to see it it turns out more like what I want. I mixed the henna with cassia in 1:1 proportion.

jaquelines
April 12th, 2016, 03:29 AM
I do this occasionally when my henna gets to dark for me ( I like the orange/reddish tone). Coconut oil over the night, 9% (which I always use) for about 10- 15 min depending on how much lighter I want to have it and I get the desired shade, which is bright orange. I only do this at my hair dresser's saloon. Used to use that sun-in and/or similar products, but they damaged my hair more than the 9% ever did, and the color was not good.
Depending on how much lighter you want your color to be and how quick your hair reacts to peroxide, I assume you can also let it sit for 10 min, for smaller changes.

PixieP
April 12th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I bought Sun-In from Amazon UK, fwiw. I live in Norway. No problems getting it shipped here.

reilly0167
April 12th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I was trying for awhile to lighten my hair. I did vitamin c and shampoo and honey. It helped a little bit but I was growing tired of how long and how many treatments it takes, so I decided to do a hydrogen peroxide with baking soda. Seen tutorials on utube and read the thread here. I oiled my hair with coconut oil and let it soak in my hair for two hours( special attention to my ends), the mixed the peroxide and baking soda, I eyeballed it to I thought it was enough for my hair, I even added conditioner for ease of application, without it its runny. Applied to my damp hair, put on a plastic cap then applied warm heat from my blow dryer for about ten minutes then wrap a towel around to keep it warm for another five minutes. I only did it a short time because I was nervous. I rinsed in cool water, add conditioner to remove the oil, then shampoo then condition again. For a quick deep treatment I used Aussie 3 minutes miracle; and let air dry. Results? It worked, I'm very pleased, no damage that I can see or feel, feels and looks great. Its light enough that the color is noticeable, a coppery tone. A week later I did a lite henna gloss and I'm very happy with overall end results:)

reilly0167
April 12th, 2016, 11:37 AM
http://s1078.photobucket.com/user/reilly0167/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160403_182502_zpsmsoez5je.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Results after henna gloss.

parkmikii
April 12th, 2016, 11:59 AM
I was trying for awhile to lighten my hair. I did vitamin c and shampoo and honey. It helped a little bit but I was growing tired of how long and how many treatments it takes, so I decided to do a hydrogen peroxide with baking soda. Seen tutorials on utube and read the thread here. I oiled my hair with coconut oil and let it soak in my hair for two hours( special attention to my ends), the mixed the peroxide and baking soda, I eyeballed it to I thought it was enough for my hair, I even added conditioner for ease of application, without it its runny. Applied to my damp hair, put on a plastic cap then applied warm heat from my blow dryer for about ten minutes then wrap a towel around to keep it warm for another five minutes. I only did it a short time because I was nervous. I rinsed in cool water, add conditioner to remove the oil, then shampoo then condition again. For a quick deep treatment I used Aussie 3 minutes miracle; and let air dry. Results? It worked, I'm very pleased, no damage that I can see or feel, feels and looks great. Its light enough that the color is noticeable, a coppery tone. A week later I did a lite henna gloss and I'm very happy with overall end results:)

Thank you for the input! I'm really happy it worked for you ^^

reilly0167
April 12th, 2016, 01:26 PM
Your welcome:)

TabSpo
June 28th, 2019, 06:53 AM
I just purchased some Sun In ( the pink bottle) to try to lighten my henna. Wish me luck!♡

Genne
June 28th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I just purchased some Sun In ( the pink bottle) to try to lighten my henna. Wish me luck!♡

Good luck!!

Hexana
June 30th, 2019, 12:57 AM
TabSpo Be aware that lightening products like Sun-in can still damage you hair. There are several videos on Youtube of girls saying that they didn't have immediate damage,but noticed severe damage after a couple of months of "light" usage (like 2x a week).

Genne
July 7th, 2019, 10:10 PM
TabSpo Be aware that lightening products like Sun-in can still damage you hair. There are several videos on Youtube of girls saying that they didn't have immediate damage,but noticed severe damage after a couple of months of "light" usage (like 2x a week).

Really thank you. I just realized that my own lightening conditioner has some peroxide in it. I definitely do NOT want to overuse that at all! :)

Jen

Genne
July 10th, 2019, 06:04 AM
Really thank you. I just realized that my own lightening conditioner has some peroxide in it. I definitely do NOT want to overuse that at all! :)

Jen

Hello again,

Update on the blonde shampoo and condition and then the spray highlighter.

I'm an idiot, basically. What worked wonderful for me was the John Frieda "highlight activating" shampoo and I was using the go blonder conditioner and "thought" that was helpful. I next bought the go blonder spray on and used it twice.

It does have peroxide and wouldn't you know it, it took out the beautiful highlights I'd liked and just did was peroxide does and made it lighter but bland.

I also have hair loss, since I'd last posted. I'm not sure if it is because a couple weeks ago I used "WEN" conditioning shampoo, (and last time I used that I also had alopecia which never recovered.)

So this is not a pleasant update. Possibly being overdue for my henna touch up is making my light roots exaggerate my alopecia already and the wen shampoo seems to have killed all the one inch new growth I was just starting to have but, I'm in a stunt month for July.

Plan is to not use the go blonder spray for a good long while and if I use it again, to wash it out relatively quickly. I will use the shampoo again though, if I feel the oxidized henna is getting too dark, after I do it next.

Jen

Genne
July 13th, 2019, 06:18 AM
Quick reply to update again:

Thankfully the lightening spray with peroxide has 'settled' in and my hair isn't acting shock anymore. However my roots that were over a half inch seem to have blended because they are affected by it. My ash blonde roots look a little reddish blonde, (from the peroxide lightening 'go blonder' spray I used.)
On one hand my henna is definitely lightened to a more blonder red but, it seems like something to use only sparingly or not at all.
Jen