PDA

View Full Version : Constant snapping...

CreatureBailey
March 4th, 2016, 11:35 PM
So like, I have pretty fine hair...and like, I don't think they are dry or anything...but like, my hair tangles like crazy...and every time I detangle them it happens a few times that I hear it snap. And it's not like I go super wild and crazy over them...but it's just SO tangled easily and it snaps if I accidentally pull on tangles just out of clumsiness.

Am I the only one? :( Like...what to do to stop it..? I AM careful...I guess I should be EVEN more... -_-

bunneh.
March 5th, 2016, 01:13 AM
Condition and oil your hair lightly, maybe smt once a week to make it softer, this helps me but ymmv. Sleeping on silk or satin pillowcases or scarves or use it on your head to protect your hair from friction, wear protective hairstyles during dax and night and this all will reduce the amount of tangles so you will have an easier time detangling. Perhaps try a wide tooth comb (seamless) or tangle teezer to detangle, start at the ends and detangle towards the roots. That's all I can think of for now.

Wusel
March 5th, 2016, 01:29 AM
So like, I have pretty fine hair...and like, I don't think they are dry or anything...but like, my hair tangles like crazy...and every time I detangle them it happens a few times that I hear it snap. And it's not like I go super wild and crazy over them...but it's just SO tangled easily and it snaps if I accidentally pull on tangles just out of clumsiness.

Am I the only one? :( Like...what to do to stop it..? I AM careful...I guess I should be EVEN more... -_-

Which comb/brush do you use?
Sometimes it's better to detangle with a good quality wide tooth comb or with your fingers. Not with a brush.

Arctic
March 5th, 2016, 03:20 AM
How do you detangle and with what?

ETA: Which one is more accurate: "constant snapping" or "few times" per detangling session?

Has your hair always been very tangly? Is it tangly all the way down/up or just the ends? Some hairtypes seem to be very tangle prone. But if it's something that has started only recently, then there might be a fixable solution (although it's probably unavoidable for most hairtypes, that the more length is gained, the more tangles become a problem).

For example, you might have buildup that makes hairs stick together. You might be in need of trim or S&D session. Your hair might like silicones or different conditioner. Your hair might like different type of detangling tool: some like wide tooths, some like finer tooths, some like detangling brushes like tangle teaser, wet brush, denman's classic brushes, widu brushes. Some only use fingers. Some like to detangle in the shower, some when hair is damp some when hair is fully dry.

And yes, you might want to triple check your method. The basic method being this: Sit down to detangle, take your time and don't be in hurry, go slowly and start from the the bottom and work upwards. Use widetoothed, seamless comb. Test different angles you keep the comb in your hand. As soon as you start to feel resistance, switch to finger detangling and gently work the tangle out. Once you get to know your hair, you'll start to develop your own variation that suits your hair the best.

If your hair immediately after detangling re-tangles (= velcro hair), then I strongly suspect a build-up of somekind.

And last advice is, while snapping is horrible sound, don't over tune your senses to it. When we live in a real world there are going to be some casualties of the hair strand kind. And not all sounds your hair makes are of breakage. If you don't see breakage and your hair looks full and healthy, you might be worrying for nothing. My advice is to avoid obsessing, treat your hair the best you can and enjoy it, don't let it become an obstacle.

Of the Fae
March 5th, 2016, 03:25 AM
I have this problem as well!! I did a honey/olive oil mask to lighten and it actually made my ends feel very very soft and smooth-really stopped the tangling a lot!
Also, always condition. And what Arctic said is true, clarifying can work wonders.
Wearing it up in buns also helps

lapushka
March 5th, 2016, 05:10 AM
If you pay attention to how you detangle (maybe use a conditioning mist (water + squirt of conditioner) to ease the process), bottom to top, then you minimize the snapping for sure. But I get that as well. It is kind of inevitable to a degree. I weekly detangle, and you would think there'd be a lot of tangles and knots, but it's not so bad, because I finger-separate / detangle during the week to get a few sheds out. The sheds are what makes me tangle up mostly.

pailin
March 5th, 2016, 05:38 AM
Artic asks a good question- is this how it has always been, or is it new? If it is new, then have you changed any products lately?
I thought I remembered that too much protein can do this to some people too, in whuch case it probably needs more moisture.

spidermom
March 5th, 2016, 09:51 AM
For me, coney leave-in conditioners make a HUGE difference, also trimming when my hair gets too snarly. Dry damaged ends are like Velcro.

CreatureBailey
March 6th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Artic asks a good question- is this how it has always been, or is it new? If it is new, then have you changed any products lately?
I thought I remembered that too much protein can do this to some people too, in whuch case it probably needs more moisture.

Always been like that

I don't really put products in it except leave-in conditioner from Live Clean.