PDA

View Full Version : Help! Orange hair

sunnylove
March 4th, 2016, 05:08 PM
So this isn't a long hair question, but I trust the community here, so I was wondering if someone could help (hopefully someone with experience in hair color). I recently touched up my highlights with a new hair stylist who uses ammonia free and organic products. They turned out well but I wanted them more "icy" and less yellow, so he then applied a toner. When I got home and and took a good look at them, I realized that my base color turned orange! The highlights are cooler and less yellow, but my natural hair that wasn't highlighted is orange (natural hair color is light brown/dirty blonde). I bought a well-reviewed blue shampoo, does anyone think that might be enough to neutralize it? I really don't want to have to go back and have everything re-colored, but obviously don't want orange hair. Thanks!!

Quasiquixotic
March 4th, 2016, 05:13 PM
Maybe color oops or color b4 could help?

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
I know you mentioned you don't want to go back to the salon, but I really think that would be the safest bet! :flower: Even if that colorist isn't there or can't help you for some other reason, somebody else (maybe more experienced) will. Salons normally do this for free and knowing exactly what they did wrong and which products they used in your case for color-treatment gives them an advantage on the best color correction route, as well.

Good luck! I really hope you'll get your haircolor to the exact shades you want! :pray:

lapushka
March 4th, 2016, 05:58 PM
I know you mentioned you don't want to go back to the salon, but I really think that would be the safest bet! :flower: Even if that colorist isn't there or can't help you for some other reason, somebody else (maybe more experienced) will. Salons normally do this for free and knowing exactly what they did wrong and which products they used in your case for color-treatment gives them an advantage on the best color correction route, as well.

Totally agree! Don't start experimenting with color and color correcting yourself, please. :) (We all had disasters by doing so, I'm sure!)

turtlelover
March 4th, 2016, 06:02 PM
What you need to do to fix it is different if the base color was LIFTED to an orange color from a darker color vs. darkened from a lighter color w/ no pigment removal. I'd see a good colorist to sort it all out.

pastina
March 4th, 2016, 06:03 PM
Blue shampoo in the meantime might help (eta-- and can't hurt!!). It's not a permanent solution, though. FWIW, my guess is that the toner contained peroxide.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 06:07 PM
Blue shampoo in the meantime might help (eta-- and can't hurt!!). It's not a permanent solution, though. FWIW, my guess is that the toner contained peroxide.

That's exactly my fear, too. :agree: That would explain base color going orange from lifting it a bit. I really think it's important to know which products exactly were used, which is why going back to the salon (even if you want to switch colorists for color correction) would really help. :flower:

sunnylove
March 4th, 2016, 06:49 PM
I think you're right. I'm trying not to cry right now... Shouldn't a colorist know these things, or is this just crappy luck?

Kimberly
March 4th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Don't cry -- they can fix it. Sending you hugs.

meteor
March 5th, 2016, 09:48 AM
I think you're right. I'm trying not to cry right now... Shouldn't a colorist know these things, or is this just crappy luck?

I'm so sorry, sunnylove! :( :grouphug: And yes, they should know it! :agree:

I really hope a simple deposit-only (true semi-) toner will be all that's needed in your case for cooling down the base, counteracting orange, but at this point, since you already have icy, cool highlights in the shade you want that you probably don't want to touch, it may be more complicated than that - maybe it will require putting in low-lights, working on specific streaks in the base to sort out the whole look...
Either way, the salon should be able to correct this - you just need to complain, ask for a more experienced colorist and bring very clear photos. If the colorist you used to go to in the past worked at the same salon or if you can access him/her, that would help get the exact shade right, because they might still keep notes of your formula, if you are their old client.

(Generally speaking, every time one goes to a new colorist and doesn't give them the exact formula to use, there is that risk :( ... because they see your hair for the first time and have to customize something for you and they don't have old notes with the formula for your length and roots that worked well in the past...)

Sweets
March 6th, 2016, 03:12 AM
Another vote for going back to the same salon! I'm sorry your situation is upsetting, hopefully it gets sorted out soon!