PDA

View Full Version : Constantly changing my mind!

Amenahh
March 4th, 2016, 02:02 PM
I am constantly changing my mind about what I want to do with my hair..

I have been growing it out from a short bob for half a year, it is now collarbone length, and I want it short again. 2 days ago I wanted it long and a week ago I wanted it short. I never know what I want!

That happens for a reason: I love long hair, I think it's gorgeous. BUT I think my face looks better with short hair, and it suits my personality better as well. However, short hair is more expensive to maintain, and I like up-dos as well. The result is constant indecisiveness.

The same happens with hair colour, but now I only do henna or henndigo, which prevents me from constantly changing it, which I like.

I just needed to rant. Words of wisdom are appreciated.
If you are in the same situation, feel free to rant below.

MidnightMoon
March 4th, 2016, 02:11 PM
Not exactly a rant but Im the same about hair colour. I have mood swings which change my perception of myself, who I am, how I want to look, what aspect of myself I want my hair to express, etc.
I have been like this with other things and something that helps is either ignoring the impulse that tends to last the least or to write a note to myself of what I like about myself with the hair Id rather have (long, dyed blue black). I know cutting and dyeing it something else woud set me back many years again so I need to stick to a certain look. Ah, something else that helps is making plans of looking a certain way for an important date in the future. In my case, I hope to get married in some years and Id prefer very long pitch black hair against my light dress. That image encourages me to stay on track.

MadHouseWitch
March 4th, 2016, 02:15 PM
welcome to the club of indecisivitis! I went through a major cycle of chop and grow for a LONG time I would to the "I can do more with it long" but then NEVER DO ANYTHING with it! So I would CHOP then hate that I cut it and miss the length

now to be fair it was never super long aside from the FIRST chop when I was in like 3rd or 4th grade it was long before then I cut to chin, and that cycle started

I've resolved now to grow to "waist when curly" so....
I'm like halfway there though APL when curly I think (could be more, I don't look at my back much) Stretched is a bit around BSL (just had a trim) I feel like I've been at BSL FOREVER though!

Arctic
March 4th, 2016, 02:20 PM
Maybe grow it long(er), see how you like it, and if it's really not your thing, you can always cut it back. I suggest that, because you can't really do it the other way around, if you always hack off your progress because of indecisiveness. If you always follow the whim, you'll never get to reach those slightly (or more) longer lengths, it always takes time.

Collarbone is good length, you are past the most difficult stages. A year from now you are approx at +/-APL. That's starting to be at the medium-long area for most of the people, so you are really very close to getting a taste about how long hair feels.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 02:41 PM
Don't worry, you are not alone! :thumbsup:

I just needed to rant. Words of wisdom are appreciated.
If you are in the same situation, feel free to rant below.

My :twocents: on rant is constantly changing my mind about color, more specifically highlights. I was so addicted to them, and adding a few highlights/lowlights here and there all the time was enough to scratch that itch, since I tend to get bored with my natural hair color easily. Then I decided to grow virgin color out cold turkey, simply because I believe that it's really hard to keep these qualities: length, thickness and shine & great condition - completely intact while using bleach.

My "word of wisdom" is: Wigs! Seriously, if you want a huge change but can't commit, invest in a wig. Who knows, maybe you'll love the look so much that you'll get the same hairstyle on your own hair, too. But if said change isn't even worth investing in a wig, then it's probably not worth taking the plunge will the real hair either! ;)
And if the need for change is about color: temporary deposit-only dyes or even hair chalk can give you that fix without the commitment.
And if you are in a hairstyling style rut - check out YouTube videos for cool braids, updos, etc... or ask here on the LHC about the styles you are looking for. ;)

Oh, and don't forget the 2-week rule if you are considering something that requires serious commitment. :)

Best of luck! :cheer:

Amenahh
March 4th, 2016, 03:37 PM
Not exactly a rant but Im the same about hair colour. I have mood swings which change my perception of myself, who I am, how I want to look, what aspect of myself I want my hair to express, etc.
Yep, same here with what I want my hair to express!

welcome to the club of indecisivitis! I went through a major cycle of chop and grow for a LONG time I would to the "I can do more with it long" but then NEVER DO ANYTHING with it! So I would CHOP then hate that I cut it and miss the length
Haha, exactly! I never did anything with it when I had it long either. Apart from a braid or sth like that.

Maybe grow it long(er), see how you like it, and if it's really not your thing, you can always cut it back. I suggest that, because you can't really do it the other way around, if you always hack off your progress because of indecisiveness. If you always follow the whim, you'll never get to reach those slightly (or more) longer lengths, it always takes time.

Collarbone is good length, you are past the most difficult stages. A year from now you are approx at +/-APL. That's starting to be at the medium-long area for most of the people, so you are really very close to getting a taste about how long hair feels.
Yep, I will probably wait and see. I've had long hair before, so I know how it feels, but I still can't decide haha! I cut it short bob, then grew it to waist. Then short bob, then BSL, then short bob and now I'm at collarbone. I'll try to wait until APL and see how I like it. I have a while to go until then though...

My :twocents: on rant is constantly changing my mind about color, more specifically highlights. I was so addicted to them, and adding a few highlights/lowlights here and there all the time was enough to scratch that itch, since I tend to get bored with my natural hair color easily. Then I decided to grow virgin color out cold turkey, simply because I believe that it's really hard to keep these qualities: length, thickness and shine & great condition - completely intact while using bleach.

My "word of wisdom" is: Wigs! Seriously, if you want a huge change but can't commit, invest in a wig. Who knows, maybe you'll love the look so much that you'll get the same hairstyle on your own hair, too. But if said change isn't even worth investing in a wig, then it's probably not worth taking the plunge will the real hair either! ;)
And if the need for change is about color: temporary deposit-only dyes or even hair chalk can give you that fix without the commitment.
And if you are in a hairstyling style rut - check out YouTube videos for cool braids, updos, etc... or ask here on the LHC about the styles you are looking for. ;)

Oh, and don't forget the 2-week rule if you are considering something that requires serious commitment. :)

Thanks for the advice! If/when I decide to cut it, I will wait for 2 weeks :).
For now, with the colour I'm fine. Alternating between henna and hendigo satisfies me. Unfortunately, my hair is still too short to do anything fun with. I can't even do a high ponytail yet. And wigs make my scalp itch haha!

lapushka
March 4th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I think it is *still* short, and you need to be able to commit to long hair. Short hair comes with many awkward stages that leave you feeling this way and this indecisive. It's called "awkward stage" for a reason. You just need to get past this stage, and a fair few more to come, or you'll never get there.

Arctic
March 4th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Check out my blog for hair style ideas for shorter hair. I have 3 specific posts where I've collected lot of photos for shoulder+ hair (links under my blog's header), but there are other photos too that I've posted over the years.

I daresay your hair is not too short to do lots of fun styles right now. :)

calmyogi
March 4th, 2016, 04:14 PM
This is so me. I want different colors and cuts all the time. So frustrating! I wish it was like Harry Potter where you could just use Your magic wand to change it every time you change your mind lol.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 04:23 PM
^ Oh yes, Arctic's blog is incredible! :D Lots of those amazing, cool styles would be really hard to do on very long hair (especially if it's tangle-prone at all), so I'd recommend trying them now and learning some cool techniques before the hair gets too long (and harder to manage). Some nice examples are crown braid, spiral braid, Dutch/French/lace/waterfall/feather braids... If some complex braid requires too much length for now, you can try it as a smaller accent braid. ;)
Also, check out ladollyvita333's braidictionary for more braid ideas: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H2ifoTyHoA4

battles
March 4th, 2016, 07:23 PM
This is me, and why I've been here for 5 years and never made it past waist. :rolleyes:

khryz
March 4th, 2016, 10:33 PM
I never made it past shoulders because of this... But I'm pretty determined this time now that I'm feeling so comfortable here in LHC.

turtlelover
March 5th, 2016, 01:51 AM
I have this issue with wondering about layers and whether or not I should have them. I swing back and forth between loving them and hating them like every other month. Haha

Wusel
March 5th, 2016, 02:05 AM

Very good idea. Buy a wig.
I have a short (something like a longer pixie), reddish-blonde wig and it prevents me from cutting or bleaching my hair.
My hair is long and virgin since the day of my birth and I want to keep its healthy virginity so, a wig is a good thing.
I know, I CAN have short hair and I CAN be a blonde whenever I desire. So, no need to cut or bleach or color.
But it's important to have a high quality wig with good human hair and a good lace. So that it looks good and natural. Mine was very expensive but before I had a cheaper one and it looked too fake. So it was worth the splurge.

Wusel
March 5th, 2016, 02:28 AM
I have this issue with wondering about layers and whether or not I should have them. I swing back and forth between loving them and hating them like every other month. Haha

I used to have layers for decades. I loved them. But it stopped at my 40th birthday when I realized that layers don't make me look younger but, all of a sudden, older.

restless
March 5th, 2016, 02:52 AM
First thing that comes to mind is maintaining face framing layers and bangs. That way you can enjoy the look of the short, pretty hair framing you face while still growing the rest of your hair to longer lengths.