PDA

View Full Version : Hair thickness questions

Curly4Life
March 4th, 2016, 11:53 AM
Hi everyone. First post so I'm a little nervous. Okay so let me give you a brief history of my hair. Since I was a child my hair has always been less than 2 inches long. But often when it grew out my hairdresser would comment I quote "this is the thickest hair I've ever seen"

So I starter growing my hair out in 2011 November. As my hair grew freakishly fast I had shoulder length within 1 year. By late 2013 my hair was bra strap length. It was also the strangest color. Like a dark brown with lots of red and gold and was soft spiral curly, I'll see if I can post a picture.

So anyways I started tying it up into a tight bun at night when it was wet because I couldn't stand the wet hair all over me. Within 6 months my 6.5 inch hair was 4.5 inches. So I layed back on my hair ties. I then started hormonal meds. Fast forward my hair was less than 4 inches.
It was no longer curly and no longer the rich beautiful color it has always been. So I dyed it black hoping it would look healthier. Wrong!! My hair loony stringing and was so dry. So I chopped it all of till it was 10 inches long in the front and 2.5 inches in the back. This was in Dec 2015.

It's now 11.5 inches in the front and 4.5 inches in the back.

Now I had this weird parting/bald spot at the top left side of the back of hair. It doesn't look like a normal bald spot. I noticed this before I dyed my hair black.

Now the hair that had fallen/pulled out of the front of hairline has started growing back and is about an inch long.

My hair is currently 9cm thick.

Is there anything I can do to get my thickness back and to get rid of that damn bald spot? Thanks so much

Sorry for the long post

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2016, 11:58 AM
Yes. There are many things but the first thing that comes to mind is don't ever dye your hair again.
Stop using tight buns. Wash your hair at a different time if you don't like wet hair at night.
Treat your hair as gently as possible and try and find other members who have similar hair types whom you admire and learn from them.
Also changing hormones can have a HUGE impact on hair and can take quite a substantial amount of time to balance out.

Arctic
March 4th, 2016, 12:10 PM
If you bald spot actually a cowlick? People often have one or two hair whorls at the crown, which can - if not styled correctly - make the area look a bit like a bald spot. But it's just a growth patters, where hairs grow which ever way and leaving an area, which sometimes looks like very long part, bare looking.

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2016, 01:15 PM
If you bald spot actually a cowlick? People often have one or two hair whorls at the crown, which can - if not styled correctly - make the area look a bit like a bald spot. But it's just a growth patters, where hairs grow which ever way and leaving an area, which sometimes looks like very long part, bare looking.

Good point Arctic. I have a few cowlicks but none are at the centre of the back of my head. That indeed would cause what would appear to be a bald spot.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 04:47 PM
Curly4Life, have you seen a doctor about this? :flower: Many dietary deficiencies, health conditions could affect this.... The thing is you mention hormonal meds... and many medications can have an effect on growth and thickness, unfortunately. I'd definitely consult a doctor.

I do hope it's just a cowlick, but I wouldn't assume so just yet, since overall thickness (ponytail circumference measurement) shouldn't really be affected by the direction of growth pattern so much... and don't cowlicks stay the same on the same scalp (rather than develop over time)?:hmm:

Arctic
March 4th, 2016, 04:53 PM
meteor my own crown cowlicks (double crown) has definitely gotten worse with time, especially after my hair type change. I've always had cowlicks there but suddenly I had COWLICKS. It was weird.

ETA: It was the word "parting" that caused me to write about cow lick possibility, because they often look like very long, often L-shaped partings. I've seen many members over the years panicing about "bald spots" that turn out to be normal cowlicks.

But definitely thinning of hair should always be taken seriously.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 05:05 PM
^ Oh, sorry, Arctic! :oops: I had no idea cowlicks changed. Good to know! :) I wonder why that happens... :hmm:

Arctic
March 4th, 2016, 05:18 PM
Probably wave pattern affects them, that's my theory. I used to have straight hair which turned wavy, and some time after that the cowlicks exploded :D They are the bane of my hair existence, ha ha!

lapushka
March 4th, 2016, 05:28 PM
Look... losing 2 inches worth of thickness is concerning to the point where you *need* to consult a doctor. Go now! It's never too late, and get some bloodwork done. It is by no means a luxury, certainly not in your case!