PDA

View Full Version : Aspartame and hair loss/growth

lapis_lazuli
March 3rd, 2016, 02:36 PM
Hi :waving:
I have a question for you lovely people: can too much aspartame contribute to slow hair growth? I've done a little research and found that it can be a factor in hair loss but I found nothing on it affecting growth rate. I currently do not have a problem with shedding. However, I drink 3-4 cans of diet coke a day. It is bad, I know, but I didn't consider its potential effects on my hair until recently.
So what do you think? I know I should cut back but I'm not sure if I should boycott diet sodas all together. Any information would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you!!!
~LL :blossom:

Nique1202
March 3rd, 2016, 04:14 PM
I don't think diet soda would be related to hair loss or slow growth in particular. We'd see a LOT more hair problems if that were the case, in the general population and probably around here as well. Individual sensitivities to certain ingredients might have some effect, but the chances of that are very slim for each individual person. You could try, but I doubt you'd see any improvements

Besides, diet soda is better for you in the long term than supposed healthy alternatives like fruit juices which are high in acid, high in sugar (even if there's none added, fruit is sweet), and low in the natural fiber that mitigates the effects of the rest in a whole fruit. There's nothing dangerous about artificial sweeteners or we'd definitely know about it by now.

Deborah
March 3rd, 2016, 04:23 PM
It's not good for your body, but I don't think it will affect your hair.

hennalonghair
March 3rd, 2016, 04:46 PM
Diet sodas are definitely NOT better than natural fructose from juices. Too much natural juice isn't good for you either because it's still a form of sugar and will quickly raise your blood sugar and then plummet and can cause lethargy and mood swings.
Aspartame is bad news.

http://m.activebeat.co/diet-nutrition/10-reasons-to-avoid-aspartame-at-all-costs/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=AB_GGL_CA_MOBI&cus_widget=&utm_content=search_usd&utm_term=information%20on%20aspartame

http://aspartame.mercola.com

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

Nadine <3
March 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Hm, well I don't think it could negatively affect your hair growth but t's definitely not good for you.

ChloeDharma
March 3rd, 2016, 04:53 PM
This looks worth a read

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

I'm a T1 diabetic and when I was first diagnosed back in 1990 I did as I was told and used artificial sweeteners, chose "diet" options for drinks etc. I only recently made the link but for a few years in my teens I suffered horrific migranes that would have me laid up in bed vomiting and wishing I was dead just to escape the pain that went on for days and days. I gave up the sweeteners for other reasons (primarily because they taste vile!) and my migranes stopped though as I said, I never actually made the link until recently. That was when I was about 16. For me, that is enough to convince me not to use them but looking around online and seeing the warnings and other people's experiences I view aspartame as some nasty toxic stuff and even as a T1 I would rather take my chances with natural sugar than put that stuff in my body.

That said, when I was drinking diet drinks and using sweeteners my hair was growing very well and looked great so I cant say it effected that for me, however generally hair likes what is healthy and dislikes what isn't so it wouldn't surprise me if it did effect hair for some people.

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 04:56 PM
Hi :waving:
I have a question for you lovely people: can too much aspartame contribute to slow hair growth? I've done a little research and found that it can be a factor in hair loss but I found nothing on it affecting growth rate. I currently do not have a problem with shedding. However, I drink 3-4 cans of diet coke a day. It is bad, I know, but I didn't consider its potential effects on my hair until recently.
So what do you think? I know I should cut back but I'm not sure if I should boycott diet sodas all together. Any information would be greatly appreciated :)
Thank you!!!
~LL :blossom:

I'm with others - I don't know of the connection to hair growth specifically (hair will grow as long as you are healthy), but it's just not the best thing to drink for your overall health, especially in such large quantities... :flower:
If you can start slowly substituting sugary diet sodas with other options that provide that energy boost: e.g. maybe a bit of tea/coffee, water, and, of course, nutritious food..., I bet your body will thank you for it in the long run, and so will your hair, too. :)

LongCurlyTress
March 3rd, 2016, 05:05 PM
I am becoming addicted to herbal teas with a packet of aspartame and a teabag/ in an oversized cup with some nonfat milk in it also. It's not bloating from the carbonation like soda is and the warmth in my tummy and holding the hot cup of tea in my hands is nice. 4 cans of soda a day is also expensive and having to recycle the cans is also a pain. Hope you try the hot herbal/ caffeine free tea solution. It works for me! :soapbox: And... I honestly don't think the aspartame hinders my hair growth at all. It probably is still rotting other body parts! Oh well!! LOL!:rolleyes:

lapis_lazuli
March 3rd, 2016, 05:11 PM
Wow, thank you all for the info and links! Will start reading them now :) I know aspartame's not the best thing for my body so I will make a conscious effort to cut back on it... tea sounds like a nice alternative. I guess I'm just paranoid about it affecting my hair :lol: I appreciate the reassurance :flower:

SteelRose
March 3rd, 2016, 07:07 PM
ChloeDharma aspartame does the exact same thing go me! I get horrendous migranes any time I drink things with aspartame. I found out because I was trying to up my water intake by using Crystal Light and kept getting headaches. When I cut out the Crystal Light the headaches immediately went away. I stay far away from aspartame now.

pailin
March 3rd, 2016, 07:50 PM
I get headaches from aspartame too, and it gives my mom ringing in her ears. So I generally don't trust it. But I agree that if it interfered with hair growth we ought to know by now. And you've certainly managed to grow some amazing hair regardless, lapis_lazuli!

Nique1202
March 4th, 2016, 04:32 AM
Diet sodas are definitely NOT better than natural fructose from juices. Too much natural juice isn't good for you either because it's still a form of sugar and will quickly raise your blood sugar and then plummet and can cause lethargy and mood swings.
Aspartame is bad news.

http://m.activebeat.co/diet-nutrition/10-reasons-to-avoid-aspartame-at-all-costs/?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=AB_GGL_CA_MOBI&cus_widget=&utm_content=search_usd&utm_term=information%20on%20aspartame

http://aspartame.mercola.com

http://www.mercola.com/article/aspartame/hidden_dangers.htm

http://www.sweetpoison.com/aspartame-side-effects.html

None of those sites are scientifically sound. Except for one specific medical condition (a sensitivity to a certain amino acid building up in the body) aspartame is perfectly safe for anyone to drink in moderation. A few cans of soda a day aren't going to come near the limits set by regulatory authorities. No link has ever been proven between aspartame and cancer, allergies, or any other negative reaction, and there have been LOTS of studies done over the years.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/addit/sweeten-edulcor/aspartame-eng.php

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2016, 07:11 AM
None of those sites are scientifically sound. Except for one specific medical condition (a sensitivity to a certain amino acid building up in the body) aspartame is perfectly safe for anyone to drink in moderation. A few cans of soda a day aren't going to come near the limits set by regulatory authorities. No link has ever been proven between aspartame and cancer, allergies, or any other negative reaction, and there have been LOTS of studies done over the years.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/are-artificial-sweeteners-safe/

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/topics/topic/aspartame

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/cancercauses/othercarcinogens/athome/aspartame

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17828671

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/addit/sweeten-edulcor/aspartame-eng.php
Sure you can find links to prove otherwise but you need to consider where the sources are coming from. Companies that have a lot to loose pay for these types of studies and they are often fudged over to support the companies that have the most to lose.
There is far more honest, unbiased information written that supports the fact that aspartame is not a healthy sugar substitute.
Big corporate companies have a LOT to lose and put a lot of pressure on the FDA. Most of these studies are paid for by these companies. It's actually pretty scary stuff.
How do I know? Because I studied it for 7 years (science degree) and became a certified nutritionist.
A much healthier sugar substitute is stevia. Such a minuscule amount is needed. There are those who can be sensitive to it just like anything in life but it is by far a better choice.
If that's not for you then organic sugar cane ( unrefined) maple syrup or honey are better choices.

ChloeDharma
March 4th, 2016, 07:21 AM
ChloeDharma aspartame does the exact same thing go me! I get horrendous migranes any time I drink things with aspartame. I found out because I was trying to up my water intake by using Crystal Light and kept getting headaches. When I cut out the Crystal Light the headaches immediately went away. I stay far away from aspartame now.

It's quite scary isn't it when this stuff is touted as "healthy". I've heard/read of many people finding it worsens or even causes quite a few different types of illness so although the official stance may be that it is safe I choose to keep away from it and all other artificial sweeteners. I'm not saying sugar is great, far from it but if I have to choose I go for sugar every time.

Nique1202
March 4th, 2016, 07:51 AM
Sure you can find links to prove otherwise but you need to consider where the sources are coming from. Companies that have a lot to loose pay for these types of studies and they are often fudged over to support the companies that have the most to lose.
There is far more honest, unbiased information written that supports the fact that aspartame is not a healthy sugar substitute.
Big corporate companies have a LOT to lose and put a lot of pressure on the FDA. Most of these studies are paid for by these companies. It's actually pretty scary stuff.
How do I know? Because I studied it for 7 years (science degree) and became a certified nutritionist.
A much healthier sugar substitute is stevia. Such a minuscule amount is needed. There are those who can be sensitive to it just like anything in life but it is by far a better choice.

It's not JUST the FDA that says that aspartame is safe, though. It's literally every regulatory body in the world, after reviewing hundreds of studies that have been done over the course of many decades. All of that data can't have been falsified. There are no rigorous, controlled studies that say that aspartame is in any way unsafe at reasonable dietary levels (such as having a few cans of soda every day). All you can quote, when it comes down to it, are anecdotes and tenuous but unproven correlations.

Also, I don't disagree that stevia is another good choice of sweetener, if you're not allergic to it or any of its cousin plants. I just don't think that demonizing aspartame or any other sweetener is right either, in the face of overwhelming evidence of their safety records.

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2016, 09:50 AM
It's not JUST the FDA that says that aspartame is safe, though. It's literally every regulatory body in the world, after reviewing hundreds of studies that have been done over the course of many decades. All of that data can't have been falsified. There are no rigorous, controlled studies that say that aspartame is in any way unsafe at reasonable dietary levels (such as having a few cans of soda every day). All you can quote, when it comes down to it, are anecdotes and tenuous but unproven correlations.

Also, I don't disagree that stevia is another good choice of sweetener, if you're not allergic to it or any of its cousin plants. I just don't think that demonizing aspartame or any other sweetener is right either, in the face of overwhelming evidence of their safety records.
Then go for it. I'm not really interested in proving myself right but knock your socks off trying to convince me otherwise. :shrug:

LongCurlyTress
March 4th, 2016, 11:27 AM
I think common sense should prevail here. If something gives you headaches/makes you feel ill, and you stop using it, and then those symptoms go away, then... it doesn't work for you. Done... :lala:

ETA My father died at 81 years of age. In his mid 70's he gave up all fats ie everything that was delicious to him. He had been brought up on eggs, bacon, steaks etc. His cholesterol did drop down but he was miserable. Just miserable. So, he went back to eating his favorite fatty foods, and did pass away from heart problems but he enjoyed his life. Who is anyone to criticize? Just sayin' ...

bunneh.
March 4th, 2016, 11:34 AM
A few cans of soda a day is nuts. I drink soda only about 3 to 4 times a year. Aspartame is an artifical sweetener definitely not healthy and certainly not better than fruit juices. Those scientific researches are a joke.

hennalonghair
March 4th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Those scientific researches are a joke.

Exactly and not a funny one at that.:thumbsup:

Complexity
March 4th, 2016, 11:49 AM
If you can't have/don't like sugar and aren't too fond of the artificial sweeteners, try stevia. You can definitely buy it in stores but it also grows really well (even in a window). Growing it yourself gives you full control over just how 'organic/natural' it really is.

Just keep in mind that it's much sweeter than sugar is, so you'll need to learn to use a lot less.

Kimberly
March 4th, 2016, 12:46 PM
Aspartame gives me a headache, but I had no idea it was so common. Next time I'm visiting my family for a holiday and they all try to pressure me into drinking their foul-tasting diet soda (via disbelieving hypochondria jokes) I'll be sure to point this out.

MadHouseWitch
March 5th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Watched a documentary once called "Sweet Misery: a poisoned world" It is all about the effects that aspartame can have. Now just like "Supersize Me" didn't make me stop eating at fast food restaurants, Sweet Misery didn't make me avoid all aspartame. HOWEVER, I do think my Grandparents WOULD benefit from stopping their diet soda habit. She is diabetic, among some other health issues. Of course, she did have a test of this theory, she went a few weeks without (dental work) she claims she felt better AFTER having her diet coke again. So *shrugs* Myself, I don't avoid light yogurt of that is what it has in it, and I want that flavor LOL. Still have an occasional diet soda, but it is RARE. Sometimes I'm over there and want a cold non water beverage!
I've been in a soda habit, Mt Dew and Pepsi (different times) Mt Dew...... my teeth got jacked
and I got the last filling from that fiasco. Now it is a rare Pepsi (my "out" drink) but at home, coffee, water, iced tea, hot tea are the staples.
Try to just replace 1 soda per day with something else, eventually you'll be off of it (assuming you want to)
a soda addiction isn't quite the same as some others, but it can be easy to fall back into it. That being said having GOOD water is a big help. invest in a filter if you have non yummy water! I hated our city water, way too chlorinated! I was raised on well water so that adjustment was not a happy one

Kimberly
March 5th, 2016, 02:00 PM
Watched a documentary once called "Sweet Misery: a poisoned world" It is all about the effects that aspartame can have. Now just like "Supersize Me" didn't make me stop eating at fast food restaurants, Sweet Misery didn't make me avoid all aspartame. HOWEVER, I do think my Grandparents WOULD benefit from stopping their diet soda habit. She is diabetic, among some other health issues. Of course, she did have a test of this theory, she went a few weeks without (dental work) she claims she felt better AFTER having her diet coke again. So *shrugs* Myself, I don't avoid light yogurt of that is what it has in it, and I want that flavor LOL. Still have an occasional diet soda, but it is RARE. Sometimes I'm over there and want a cold non water beverage!
I've been in a soda habit, Mt Dew and Pepsi (different times) Mt Dew...... my teeth got jacked
and I got the last filling from that fiasco. Now it is a rare Pepsi (my "out" drink) but at home, coffee, water, iced tea, hot tea are the staples.
Try to just replace 1 soda per day with something else, eventually you'll be off of it (assuming you want to)
a soda addiction isn't quite the same as some others, but it can be easy to fall back into it. That being said having GOOD water is a big help. invest in a filter if you have non yummy water! I hated our city water, way too chlorinated! I was raised on well water so that adjustment was not a happy one

Maybe your grandma felt better when she got back to her Diet Coke because she's hooked on caffeine? Usually the people know who can't give up their soda are drinking a type that is caffeinated.

I drink some soda pop sometimes, but usually get more excited about Pellegrino with a fresh slice of citrus fruit. My folks, when I was growing up, served pop as an occasional treat, exactly like candy or cake -- not for everyday, just for special occasions. I'm pretty sure that helped me from getting into it as a habit.

MadHouseWitch
March 5th, 2016, 06:25 PM
Maybe your grandma felt better when she got back to her Diet Coke because she's hooked on caffeine? Usually the people know who can't give up their soda are drinking a type that is caffeinated.

I drink some soda pop sometimes, but usually get more excited about Pellegrino with a fresh slice of citrus fruit. My folks, when I was growing up, served pop as an occasional treat, exactly like candy or cake -- not for everyday, just for special occasions. I'm pretty sure that helped me from getting into it as a habit.

that is something I didn't think of! It prob was the caffeine. I'm an offender in that area too, but coffee and tea not soda. But In my mind a daily coffee habit (in the morning, usually a travel cup full) is better than the nicotine habit I used to have! Some days it is more, but the usual is one travel cup!
But caffeine has a REALLY long half life! in comparison to other things, so it takes forever to get out of your system.

Complexity
March 6th, 2016, 12:35 PM
that is something I didn't think of! It prob was the caffeine. I'm an offender in that area too, but coffee and tea not soda. But In my mind a daily coffee habit (in the morning, usually a travel cup full) is better than the nicotine habit I used to have!

They seem to go hand in hand for me. If I were to quit smoking, I'd very likely also need to give up coffee (and that scares me, because I get wicked caffeine withdrawal headaches). It's just a matter of time though, I suppose (I plan to quit smoking prior to planning children).

Kimberly
March 6th, 2016, 03:10 PM
that is something I didn't think of! It prob was the caffeine. I'm an offender in that area too, but coffee and tea not soda. But In my mind a daily coffee habit (in the morning, usually a travel cup full) is better than the nicotine habit I used to have! Some days it is more, but the usual is one travel cup!
But caffeine has a REALLY long half life! in comparison to other things, so it takes forever to get out of your system.

I quit caffeine for a while to see what would happen, but didn't notice that much difference. But I make see-through coffee that my friends mock and compare to pee, so I probably don't consume all that much caffeine anyway.

They seem to go hand in hand for me. If I were to quit smoking, I'd very likely also need to give up coffee (and that scares me, because I get wicked caffeine withdrawal headaches). It's just a matter of time though, I suppose (I plan to quit smoking prior to planning children).

Oh, that makes it harder! I smoked for a while, and in retrospect it turned out to be in part because I liked going outside for a while from time to time at any hour. If I had known that when quitting, I would have had an easier time of it. As it was, I quit cold turkey as soon as I moved to a place where it was unpleasant to stand around outside (ugly and noisy). I've read about a connection between smoking and caffeine consumption -- they go together for a lot of people. I bet there is specific info online about it somewhere, or your doctor might have some good advice.

ChloeDharma
March 6th, 2016, 03:43 PM

I'm addicted to caffeine and drink loads of tea each day. If I just stop I get awful headaches which I discovered quite by accident. That said, if I just cut down I can give up caffeine painlessly by just reducing the amount of tea over a few days so it's fairly easy for me to stop if I want to. I'm far too keen on my cups of tea to give them up though.
If you do decide to stop smoking maybe deal with the caffeine first as dealing with withdrawel from both ciggies AND caffeine seems like a lot to go through together. I also battle the smoking thing so can very much relate as ciggies with a tea or coffee just seem to go together so well.

VixenWolfMare
March 6th, 2016, 04:12 PM
I use to drink aspartame as a teenager until one of my teachers approached me about stopping. I had been having bad headaches, trouble loosing weight, brain fog and many other problems. She had had the same problems and when she stopped drinking it she felt better. My headaches stopped and i began to loose weight and feel way better. I think their is a lot of truth behind the negative things people say about aspartame and I'm really glad i don't drink it any more. I have gotten into it by mistake a few times and every time without fail I get sick. I don't think it was making my hair fall out but my hair was in really bad shape back then. IF you are looking for an alternative I suggest kombucha. Some Kombucha has as little as 2 grams of sugar per serving. Its fizzy and full of good Bactria for your gut. Its not for everyone but if you're suffering thought diet coke then you might not mind. aspartame taste horrible. give me a glass of water over it any day.

SaucyWench
March 6th, 2016, 04:56 PM
Why are you drinking diet soda and why so many?