PDA

View Full Version : Blowdrying on cool

sarahthegemini
March 3rd, 2016, 12:18 PM
Hi all, I haven't blowdried my hair in years. I used too daily, on high heat as well as flat iron. My hair is healthy now aside from a bit of unavoidable mechanical damage from putting my hair up. It's very fine and due to that, pretty fragile. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and blow drying would be way more convenient as my hair will need washing daily (think chlorine from swimming) Anyway, would blow drying on cool be damaging? I'm thinking if not, I might continue to use the hairdryer for convenience when I get back (usually my hair gets washed every other day or so)

Thoughts?

Chocowalnut
March 3rd, 2016, 12:36 PM
If anything any damage from doing that would be mechanical from brushing it while you blow dry it if you do that. The cool air wouldn't be damaging. I blow dry mine on cool once in awhile. Some on here blow dry theirs on a low warm setting and it's OK. Just be gentle with it and only use cool or low-warm.

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 12:39 PM
It's not damaging on cool setting. :thumbsup: (I'm assuming you are just blow-drying from a good distance and aren't using round brushes or any rough brushing methods with this, of course :) )

The best drying method is both heat-free and fast! So things like cool setting of blow-dryers, floor fans, air-drying outside when it's warm or in a warm room while moving/fanning hair to thoroughly aerate it are all good methods.

Here is an interesting study on hair drying: Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/ - it confirms that blow-drying with heat is damaging (and the higher the heat and the closer the distance from blow-dryer to hair, the more damaging it is) to the cuticle but it also, interestingly, shows that air-drying was damaging to CMC (cell-membrane-complex) inside hair, possibly due to hygral fatique... hair being water-logged for too long.

Sweets
March 3rd, 2016, 01:27 PM
It's not damaging on cool setting. :thumbsup: (I'm assuming you are just blow-drying from a good distance and aren't using round brushes or any rough brushing methods with this, of course :) )

The best drying method is both heat-free and fast! So things like cool setting of blow-dryers, floor fans, air-drying outside when it's warm or in a warm room while moving/fanning hair to thoroughly aerate it are all good methods.

Here is an interesting study on hair drying: Hair Shaft Damage from Heat and Drying Time of Hair Dryer http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/ - it confirms that blow-drying with heat is damaging (and the higher the heat and the closer the distance from blow-dryer to hair, the more damaging it is) to the cuticle but it also, interestingly, shows that air-drying was damaging to CMC (cell-membrane-complex) inside hair, possibly due to hygral fatique... hair being water-logged for too long.

Interesting! Thank you for posting. When I had long hair, I would braid it wet. When my hair is long enough, I might not do that so much now (even though I love the waves it gives me).

lapushka
March 3rd, 2016, 01:35 PM
My hair is diffused weekly on cool/warm, more warm than cool as I have a nice medium setting on my blowdryer. It's a nice "comfy" warmth for my skin, so it's certainly not "burning" heat. My hair's just fine and it's classic length, so the ends are "old". If you were to do this daily for a while... I don't think it would matter.

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 01:40 PM
Interesting! Thank you for posting. When I had long hair, I would braid it wet. When my hair is long enough, I might not do that so much now (even though I love the waves it gives me).

I also wet-bun and wet-braid :) ... but more just out of necessity, since air-drying takes so long and I still have to run out with wet hair, or when do wet-setting for waves/curls (but usually on slightly damp hair), like you do. :D I just try to be careful not to torque, squeeze, stretch wet hair during manipulation, since it's more fragile when wet and it also stretches out a lot when wet, so I try to make sure the styles are loose enough for hair to regain its shape as its drying (since hair shrinks back from its wet state a bit as it's letting go of water). And I do take it down periodically to aerate the length more and speed up the drying process.

I don't think it's a problem as long as it's not done too often, maybe? :D

vpatt
March 3rd, 2016, 02:09 PM
I feel silly asking.....but why is my hair dryer sucking my hair into the opposite end? I tried using very light heat because I get cold (now that there are no hot flashes, yay!). I tried it twice last week and it happened both times. Is there some basic info I am missing or a secret word? :confused:

Arctic
March 3rd, 2016, 02:13 PM
I feel silly asking.....but why is my hair dryer sucking my hair into the opposite end? I tried using very light heat because I get cold (now that there are no hot flashes, yay!). I tried it twice last week and it happened both times. Is there some basic info I am missing or a secret word? :confused:

Is it a new drier or one that you have used before with no problems?

When I was on the lookout for a new dried last summer, I almost bought one Remington model, but after reading reviews decided to pass: many, MANY customers said that particular model sucks ends in from the back - it's a design flaw.

If it's an old, previously trusty drier, then I don't know.

If you are unsure about the technique, watch some youtube tutorials.

Arctic
March 3rd, 2016, 02:21 PM
Hi all, I haven't blowdried my hair in years. I used too daily, on high heat as well as flat iron. My hair is healthy now aside from a bit of unavoidable mechanical damage from putting my hair up. It's very fine and due to that, pretty fragile. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and blow drying would be way more convenient as my hair will need washing daily (think chlorine from swimming) Anyway, would blow drying on cool be damaging? I'm thinking if not, I might continue to use the hairdryer for convenience when I get back (usually my hair gets washed every other day or so)

Thoughts?

This was already answered, but wanted to give my experience too. I have been blowdrying more or less frequently (at least few tmes a week, normally) too, and haven't seen any damage. I use cool to warm settings (usually warm in the winter), and by warm I mean mildly warm. I also use the lowest speed setting normally (unless I am in great hurry), and use my free hand to hold my hair taut, lift it, and keep it from flying around.

I don't use brushes on everyday blowdrying, maybe sometimes to give few finishing touches if I feel fancy. For special occasions I do use brush, but only after I have roughly dried my hair so it's only slightly damp.

lapushka
March 3rd, 2016, 02:23 PM

All dryers do that. The key is to keep your hair *away* from the back of the dryer!

vpatt
March 4th, 2016, 05:55 AM
Is it a new drier or one that you have used before with no problems?

When I was on the lookout for a new dried last summer, I almost bought one Remington model, but after reading reviews decided to pass: many, MANY customers said that particular model sucks ends in from the back - it's a design flaw.

If it's an old, previously trusty drier, then I don't know.

If you are unsure about the technique, watch some youtube tutorials.

It is newer, a Revlon Ionic1875W. Not very expensice, probably cheap. I used to blow dry my hair years ago with no issues.

So I just checked out my old dryer and it does not pull strongly at the back of it. I think I got the new one so I could use a diffuser......the universal size did not fit the old dryer. But I don't use the diffuser, after all. So I guess the problem is solved until the old dryer stops working. :joy:

lapushka
March 4th, 2016, 06:41 AM
It is newer, a Revlon Ionic1875W. Not very expensice, probably cheap. I used to blow dry my hair years ago with no issues.

So I just checked out my old dryer and it does not pull strongly at the back of it. I think I got the new one so I could use a diffuser......the universal size did not fit the old dryer. But I don't use the diffuser, after all. So I guess the problem is solved until the old dryer stops working. :joy:

I got an old Braun with diffuser head. It works and has a nice comfy warm setting (middle setting). I like it a lot. Would be a shame if it quit on me. I have a Babyliss + diffuser head in storage and recently got one for €10 at my local Aldi + diffuser head. I always have a few back-ups on hand so I don't fall short. But my Braun has lasted me 10-15 years now.

JustPam
March 4th, 2016, 07:32 AM
I think new dryers are more prone to sucking hair into the back because they haven't yet collected the blanket of lint over the vent that the trusty old dryer will likely have haha.

Aleahcim
March 4th, 2016, 08:01 AM
I have been actually thinking about this question a lot lately, and Just not gotten around to asking yet.

Lately I have been using the hair dryer on cool and warm (rotating maybe every 3-7 seconds) between the two settings. I also use a diffuser meaning that my hair stays very still while the blow dryer is being used on that section. I might have the blow dryer on a section of hair anywhere from 15-30 seconds before moving on to a different section of hair. Repeating the process until mostly dry. I would need to go over each section several times since I try to not have the dryer on a single spot very long with the warm air used sparingly (and always followed up with a blast of cool air).

I have only started using the hair dryer in the winter when I do not have time to let my hair air dry before I need to leave the house.

Do you guys seems like this is an okay practice? Or should I be only using the cool setting since I am using a diffuser? I know that if this is damaging, it is accumulative and that I won't see damage until months/years down the line, so I would like to be careful about this.

bunneh.
March 4th, 2016, 08:56 AM
I'm using logic here but I think you should be fine as long as drying it this way is uncomfortable. For example I used to blow dry my hair with the hottest setting and keep it in a single spot for a while and after some time my scalp would start burning slightly, that's not okay. But if it feels comfortable it should be fine.

lapushka
March 4th, 2016, 09:12 AM
I have been actually thinking about this question a lot lately, and Just not gotten around to asking yet.

Lately I have been using the hair dryer on cool and warm (rotating maybe every 3-7 seconds) between the two settings. I also use a diffuser meaning that my hair stays very still while the blow dryer is being used on that section. I might have the blow dryer on a section of hair anywhere from 15-30 seconds before moving on to a different section of hair. Repeating the process until mostly dry. I would need to go over each section several times since I try to not have the dryer on a single spot very long with the warm air used sparingly (and always followed up with a blast of cool air).

I have only started using the hair dryer in the winter when I do not have time to let my hair air dry before I need to leave the house.

Do you guys seems like this is an okay practice? Or should I be only using the cool setting since I am using a diffuser? I know that if this is damaging, it is accumulative and that I won't see damage until months/years down the line, so I would like to be careful about this.

I typically am in a towel for 45 min. (cotton T), then airdry for 3H, and *then* I go in with the diffuser. 30 seconds per section. 2 sections on the sides, one on the top of my head, one in the back. That's it. Then after that it's the lengths that get some attention.

I think it's okay, if you let it airdry a bit first so you don't have to blowdry as much. I typically only need 4 min. to diffuse. Well, my mom diffuses for me. I just sit and let her. After that my ends are still a little dampish but my roots are dry.

I don't have issues with it. My air is on warm all the time (comfy enough to hold your hand in it without burning) and my length is classic. This has been my routine weekly for... forever.

meteor
March 4th, 2016, 11:53 AM

I'm using logic here but I think you should be fine as long as drying it this way is uncomfortable. For example I used to blow dry my hair with the hottest setting and keep it in a single spot for a while and after some time my scalp would start burning slightly, that's not okay. But if it feels comfortable it should be fine.

^ I really agree with this. :) Especially if hair is in great condition already, I wouldn't worry about normal blow-drying (at a good distance with constant movement to avoid hot spots).

I haven't seen any research specifically on diffusers. If somebody has, please do share! :flower: I kind of worry that the way hair is pressed into that cup so close to the blow-dryer might be a problem? :hmm: So I would stick to really low temperatures with diffusers, at least because of such short distance and no movement, and I'd check by hand first that the temperature is low enough.

According to The cracking of human hair cuticles by cyclical thermal stresses., Gamez-Garcia M., J Cosmet Sci. 1998; 49:141:

In this figure it can be seen that temperatures lower than 50℃ do not increase the average number of cracks already present in unexposed hair, while temperatures higher than 95℃ lead rather to hair surface and bulk distortion. It is quite plausible, thus, that temperatures lower than 65℃ do not produce the critical rate of water evaporation needed for the top part of the cuticles to contract and become rigid, while temperatures higher than 85℃ might soften the cuticle proteins, releasing, thereby, the mechanical stresses by viscous flow.
(from p. 148, http://journal.scconline.org/pdf/cc1998/cc049n03/p00141-p00153.pdf)

However, this study (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/) showed some cuticle damage even when drying with a hair dryer for 60 seconds at a distance of 15 cm, even at temperature of only 47℃. "In the 47℃-treated group, multiple longitudinal cracks were observed in the cuticle" (see picture (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/figure/F2/)).
Their conclusion was:
Although using a hair dryer causes more surface damage than natural drying, using a hair dryer at a distance of 15 cm with continuous motion causes less damage than drying hair naturally. (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3229938/)

Basically, I wouldn't worry about blow-drying too, too much, because I think the way the study was designed could have had an impact on how damaging the treatments appeared: it was done on tresses not attached to scalp, so they didn't have a chance to get coated by natural oils again between washes, and no conditioning treatments were involved. But yes, only control group (unwashed, untreated tresses) stayed completely undamaged, so if anything, hair-drying studies support the idea not to over-wash and not to over-groom hair. If you don't wash your hair super-frequently, you are probably already saving your hair from a good amount of wear and tear and damage, so I wouldn't worry about normal, judicious use of a blow-dryer that much! :thumbsup:

And if your scalp demands very frequent washes, but washing and drying hair is a pain or your hair is super fragile, consider scalp-only washes in between full washes. ;)

yahirwaO.o
March 4th, 2016, 12:52 PM
So its coool to blow dry in cool setting, right? :p

... and fairly away in order to avoid that awful strand stucked at the back of the dryer.

Complexity
March 4th, 2016, 12:53 PM
I almost never use a blow dryer, but I've always figured that the cool setting was used more for finishing than anything. Does it actually dry hair? Even on hot it takes me forever; I feel like the cool setting would take days haha.

vpatt
March 5th, 2016, 01:56 PM
Ok, how embarrassing is this? I found an object and discovered it is the guard to the hair dryer I complained about eating my hair. I didn't want to own up to it, but since I named the brand I didn't feel right about wrongfully bad mouthing it. At least it shows I seldom use the dryer or I would have noticed that. Sigh....

lapushka
March 5th, 2016, 03:00 PM
I haven't seen any research specifically on diffusers. If somebody has, please do share! :flower: I kind of worry that the way hair is pressed into that cup so close to the blow-dryer might be a problem? :hmm: So I would stick to really low temperatures with diffusers, at least because of such short distance and no movement, and I'd check by hand first that the temperature is low enough.

I always go by this, if the temperature doesn't burn my skin on long exposure, I'm not worried. You have to be able to tolerate the warmth of it, so it doing well next to your skin is key... because you hold that cup up to your roots.

Larki
March 5th, 2016, 03:45 PM
I started blow drying on cool about five months ago and my hair is MUCH smoother and less frizzy than it was when I was air drying.

I almost never use a blow dryer, but I've always figured that the cool setting was used more for finishing than anything. Does it actually dry hair? Even on hot it takes me forever; I feel like the cool setting would take days haha.
It only takes me about 15-20 minutes to blow dry my hair completely.