PDA

View Full Version : Hairstyle for a mud run?

Starfilly
March 3rd, 2016, 09:36 AM
Hi all, it's been awhile!*

I'm tackling my first Spartan Race in 5 weeks, and I'm at a loss for what to do with my hair. It's very thick and about knee-length. For regular running I just braid it, but I'm a little afraid of what might happen during obstacles (climbing walls, jumping fire pits, crawling under barbed wire, and of course, lots of mud). I've yet to find an updo that will hold for more than a couple miles of running. Any obstacle race or mud run fans around here with any brilliant suggestions? I'd be very grateful! :) I don't mind if my hair gets muddy (that'll happy regardless of what I do, I'm pretty sure), I just don't want to get it caught on something.

*I was active around here 2003-2005 and 2010-2011 or thereabouts. Hello to any oldtimers still around from those days!

neko_kawaii
March 3rd, 2016, 09:37 AM
Have you tried interlaced braids? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG4MTltnX7M

Starfilly
March 3rd, 2016, 09:57 AM
Oh, good idea, thank you! I found a tutorial by TorrinPaige that had a good adaptation that would work better for my thickness of hair. I'll try it out this weekend!

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 09:59 AM
^ Yes, Interlaced Braids (if you can Dutch-braid), or if you can only English-braid, try Amish Braided Bun or Hair-taping (coronet/milkmaid braids "taped" to scalp hair with yarn needle): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlwnlfDYzk8 - holds extremely well, especially if it starts with small English braids or Dutch braids at the scalp.

Anje
March 3rd, 2016, 11:04 AM
Hi, long time no see!

I imagine what I'd go for is the normal braid, but maybe double it up and bind it all along its length with string or paracord or whatever you care to use. Maybe drench it in water before the run to reduce the risk of fire damage?

Chromis
March 3rd, 2016, 11:15 AM
I'd suggest covering whatever you come up with with a headtube like a Buff. Then it won't catch on any of the obstacles. That will also help the updo stay in place. I would try a pinned bun, relying on the Buff for support, but the laced braid idea is much better!

Deborah
March 3rd, 2016, 02:29 PM
I'd try a braided bun, set very low on the head, and covered with a Buff or something similar.

Starfilly
March 4th, 2016, 02:16 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to test them out this weekend. :)

Anje, fortunately the fire jump is at the veeeery end after having gone through a bunch of water, so I don't think it'll hurt anything. I hope...

laceyfairy
March 4th, 2016, 03:22 PM
I did a crown braid for my marathon and it held pretty well, all things considered. Have fun!

Stormynights
March 4th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Wearing a buff over your hair is a wonderful idea. It will protect your protected style whatever you decide on.

JadedByEntropy
March 4th, 2016, 09:32 PM
I did a mud run with like a crown braid type of thing, but the excess hair bundled on my head gave me heat exhaustion. I also got it stuck on the barbed wire. So i don't have the answer except maybe a multistrand braid to eat the length and tuck it down your shirt/ sportstop to keep it from swinging. But make sure you have air getting to your scalp!

I also spin fire poi, and the "fire" element is not a big deal for hair unless you leave it loose (not gonna happen). I usually wet my hair before spinning, but that also includes having streams of fire swirling deliberately past my hair/face/shoulders. [so much so that i've burned up the oxygen around me...and had to walk away to breath...yikes] There is no way any run would have That much fire. xD

yahirwaO.o
March 4th, 2016, 11:22 PM
Any type of french-dutch braiding thing with a lot of gel keeps my hair intact and should do the job. Covering with a bandana, headscarf or a something should keep hair very well!