PDA

View Full Version : Water in Cuba?

Spinder
March 3rd, 2016, 02:04 AM
I recently got back from a great vacation in Veradero. My hair immediately went back to normal when we got home - but while we were there, it was an absolute nightmare. Something about the tapwater there severely disagreed with mine and my relatives' hair, and I'm not sure what it might have been. I couldn't really seem to get my hair properly clean - after washing and conditioning, the length would remain very rough, dry, stringy, dull, and difficult to comb out, and my scalp just didn't look or feel very clean no matter how much I shampooed it.

I heard it said that the water down there has a lot of chlorine in it - but I don't think it was chlorine that caused this, because the water where I live has quite a lot of it too. Has anyone ever been to the tropics and experience a similar problem? Or could anyone perhaps provide any other insight? :(

Mullsha
March 3rd, 2016, 04:59 AM
I recently got back from a great vacation in Veradero. My hair immediately went back to normal when we got home - but while we were there, it was an absolute nightmare. Something about the tapwater there severely disagreed with mine and my relatives' hair, and I'm not sure what it might have been. I couldn't really seem to get my hair properly clean - after washing and conditioning, the length would remain very rough, dry, stringy, dull, and difficult to comb out, and my scalp just didn't look or feel very clean no matter how much I shampooed it.

I heard it said that the water down there has a lot of chlorine in it - but I don't think it was chlorine that caused this, because the water where I live has quite a lot of it too. Has anyone ever been to the tropics and experience a similar problem? Or could anyone perhaps provide any other insight? :(

Well I could as my mother in a little bit about it and get back to you she was born in Cuba did not come to the states till she was 18. I wish I could have taken your vacation! ^-^ I have a grandma there who I still have not met.

hennalonghair
March 3rd, 2016, 05:58 AM
Just a guess here but if your hair was difficult to clean it may have been the water conditioning they use. Soft water tanks at a high setting create loads of suds but also leave a film on hair which can do strange things to it. The water you use to wash your hair makes a huge difference.

Complexity
March 3rd, 2016, 08:37 AM
Just a guess here but if your hair was difficult to clean it may have been the water conditioning they use. Soft water tanks at a high setting create loads of suds but also leave a film on hair which can do strange things to it. The water you use to wash your hair makes a huge difference.

Now that you've said that, I almost wonder if my water softener is contributing to my shedding (I grew up on a well without a softener and never had any issues, but just weeks after moving out here with DBF we had a water softener installed). Stress and diet are still major contributors, but I'm wondering if I should put the softener on bypass whenever I shower and just deal with the extra residue on the walls and tub.

Spinder
March 3rd, 2016, 02:14 PM
Hmm, that sounds like a very likely scenario. Was it probably just the water in the specific resort I stayed at then? Hopefully at a different resort, next time I won't have such a hair nightmare!