PDA

View Full Version : Help 'untangling' this Oscars updo?

dfotw
February 29th, 2016, 07:45 PM
So, some very clever photographer caught a back-of-the-head shot of lovely Daisy Ridley last night at the Oscars, and I've been trying to work out how this updo was made, with no success.
http://40.media.tumblr.com/0165be9519967dcab9604222e32cc315/tumblr_o3a78t5Nrj1s2791bo3_500.png

Is it a sort of Figure 8? Are extensions involved? What magic holds it together? Help me, LHC, you're my only hope!

(eta: if you want to ask/gossip about any other Oscars hair, feel free to! Personally, I worry Rooney Mara is going to give herself traction alopecia with those super-tight buns of hers...)

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 07:47 PM
I was hoping it would be Daisy Ridley's style when I clicked on this thread! I'm not wild about the tail poking out, but it is otherwise very pretty.

neko_kawaii
February 29th, 2016, 07:53 PM
I wonder if it is something like the Link Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kjaIZBQ-Zc) done vertically?

yahirwaO.o
February 29th, 2016, 07:56 PM
Well most Oscar updos have the default steps of heat style curling as a base and using massive amounts of hairpray-pomade that most LHC would be frightened to try on themselves

I think it's some sort of knot technique going on and mostly extensions as well. Sure someone here is going to tell alot better or some guru youtube would most likely to recreate it.

.... and I loved Julianne Moore sofisticated yet simple look. Simply tucked behind ears down soft waves and classic black dress. Rooney Mara buns were so geled and tight backed it felt painful seeing her...... Chivo lubezki man low bun and the native indian guy with simple down straight hair, yeah! :p

dfotw
February 29th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Ha, lillielil, I knew I couldn't be the only longhair who caught this updo!

Neko, that is a good option! At first I thought there might be three loops in the lower part, but it might be the way the hair is twisted, no?

(btw, I uploaded this pic to my own Tumblr to post it here, is that allowed or should I still have put it as a link? :confused:)

neko_kawaii
February 29th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Ha, lillielil, I knew I couldn't be the only longhair who caught this updo!

Neko, that is a good option! At first I thought there might be three loops in the lower part, but it might be the way the hair is twisted, no?

(btw, I uploaded this pic to my own Tumblr to post it here, is that allowed or should I still have put it as a link? :confused:)

Did you take the photograph yourself? If not then post links to photos. It is explained here: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=35939

dfotw
February 29th, 2016, 08:08 PM
Sorry, yahirwaO.o, we posted at the same time! I agree most celebrity updos are not up to LHC standards of care, that's why this one caught my eye, because it looks relatively simple and easy to do.

So, a vertical Link Bun with the tail out and the top part floppy, held together with... spin pins and magic?
(I tried to replicate that but my hair is braided and I'm all thumbs and it did not look at all Oscar-worthy! :p)

Ah, thank you for the explanation, Neko! I didn't remember if one had to host or own the pic. I will be good from now on. :)

meteor
February 29th, 2016, 08:23 PM
I really have no idea, but this style immediately made me think of 2 knots (with the tail from first knot going into the second knot, because I can see some "chain-link" hair linking the two knots there, I think :eye:).

Basically top area in a knot bun, tail hanging out and then incorporated into the second knot bun (under the first one).
Here is the technique that shows what I mean: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxrTMtPu6K4 (from 4:50 till 5:50) - except it's a half-up in this video, but if it was a full updo, I think it would give a very similar look.

Also, Daisy Ridley's updo most probably started with a ponytail (not loose hair), judging by how tightly and smoothly the scalp hair is pulled into just one spot. ;) So I think the sectioning happened on already ponytailed hair.
It's likely that a lot of product was used (either gel or styling cream or something along those lines to smooth down and hold the style).

meteor
February 29th, 2016, 08:34 PM
OK, so after a bit of googling here's what I found:
From interview with Robert Vetica, hairstylist who created her look for the Oscars:

Since Daisy has shoulder length hair, I incorporated a 22-inch ponytail I made to achieve this style — not only for length, but for extra volume as well. [...]
I took the very top section of hair at the crown and secured it while I began working in [...] gel to the back of the hair, brushing and combing the sides and the back of the hair up to a top knot right at the base of the crown. Then began spritzing [...] spray to the top for a clean tight look and brushing and combing the top knot which was the base of my pony tail. Once this is complete, I took the remaining hair that I sectioned off in the beginning, and backed combed at the root to give the perfect shape at the crown, securing this section into the top knot with pins. I then took my prepped hair piece, and wrapped it around the top knot and secured it with bobby pins.
I used Leonor Greyl Eclat Naturel Nourishing and Protective Styling Cream throughout the ponytail to smooth the hair and increase radiance and shine. I created two ponytails and twisted each section down the length, used a clear elastic to secure the twisted look every six inches. With bobbi pins, I secured the hair at certain points to finish the sculpted parts ensuring you wouldn’t see the elastics, and then sprayed the entire circumference of the style with [...] Hair Spray.
http://www.thequeenofstyle.com/quee/2016/02/how-to-re-create-daisy-ridleys-oscar-updo.html

Not that clear on the specific twisting motions, to be honest ;) , but I figured I should share what the stylist said about his creation. :flower:

EdG
February 29th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Meteor - interesting. The Oscar updo was about as real as anything in the movies. :ponder:

I like our real hairstyles. :)
Ed

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 08:49 PM
Oh I get it! Like a rope braid, but squooshed up and pinned in place.

dfotw
March 1st, 2016, 06:03 AM
Meteor, thank you! It wouldn't have occured to me that there would already be stylist instructions on the internet! And I was right there were two sections...

So, ponytail first.
Then make two sections.
Make a looped topknot with the top section (if long enough, add the remaining tail to the lower section?)
Make a rope braid with the bottom section and pin in place.
... magic? :magic:

I might give it a try, except I don't think it'll look half as good in my curly, frizzy hair. It'll be a lot more real, though! :p

Entangled
March 1st, 2016, 03:10 PM
You know it's not TLHC when it spends almost the entire time describing the "prepping steps" like teasing, this super special hair serum, and blow drying and less than a paragraph on the actual manipulation part of the style. That's all that really matters to most of us!

mary*rose
March 1st, 2016, 03:17 PM
Haha I saw an article earlier today about her dress being made with Lucas' tears x)

papayatree
March 1st, 2016, 03:20 PM
I wonder to myself, "self, would the folks at LHC think this style would be safe to wear or just another Hollywood hairstylist showoff with dangerous techniques" I really have no clue what the name of that style is, so I am clueless compared to y'all.

lillielil
March 1st, 2016, 03:26 PM
I think that with the right amount/type of hair it would be entirely possible to make a safe version.

JadedByEntropy
March 1st, 2016, 03:31 PM
I was sure i'd know how, but not a clue. I do however know most every word in that description was product placement and or bad advice. the I just twist it and this happens thing is a lie. xD

meteor
March 1st, 2016, 04:31 PM
Meteor, thank you! It wouldn't have occured to me that there would already be stylist instructions on the internet! And I was right there were two sections...

So, ponytail first.
Then make two sections.
Make a looped topknot with the top section (if long enough, add the remaining tail to the lower section?)
Make a rope braid with the bottom section and pin in place.
... magic? :magic:

I might give it a try, except I don't think it'll look half as good in my curly, frizzy hair. It'll be a lot more real, though! :p

Yes, that's how I would approach it, personally (everything ponytailed, then top half put in a knot, going into a second (bottom) knot, like in that video up-thread).

Alternatively, I'd check out the Crochet Braid (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L13y7KlPR_Y&feature=fvsr or http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=136207)
Maybe if you can do two stitches of the Crochet Braid on ponytailed hair, it might look like that? You may need to pin it in place though, to achieve something closer to that look... It really depends though, as this is one of those styles that can look *very* different on different hair (you can see that on the pictures posted).

And as for frizz concerns, I'd really do this style on very oily (and heavily oiled) hair. The hair on the picture looked like it had a ton of gel/cream/conditioner in it to create that super sleek and shiny look.

Best of luck! :D I really hope one of the methods will work out for you! :cheer:

dfotw
March 1st, 2016, 04:46 PM
OK, so I decided to give it a try! WARNING: this ain't Hollywood, this is end-of-the-day hair! :silly:

The first attempt had all my hair in a ponytail, then half up in a topknot and the other half in a rope braid '''''pinned in place'''''. Veredict: not even close.
The second attempt had all my hair in a ponytail, then half up in a topknot and the other half twisted into loops that were '''''pinned in place'''''. Veredict: looks like a plate of spaghetti?
The third attempt had all my hair in a ponytail, then half up in a topknot and the other half twisted into loops, which I interwove with each other. Veredict: this feels correct, but my hair is far too curly and limp for the loops to hold like in the pic.

http://41.media.tumblr.com/8095a602e42f7b854c502afd60113c68/tumblr_o3dwkfbxRT1qfmetxo1_1280.jpg

So, I think I know more or less how it was done, it just won't work in my hair without faaaaar more product than I'm willing to use. But the mess in the back of my head now (aka, 3rd attempt) is surprisingly comfortable for all that it's held with only an elastic and 3 bobby pins!

ETA: meteor, I didn't see your post 'til I'd made mine! A Crotchet Braid might do, but my hair does not have the length/thickness ratio to even do one stitch!

meteor
March 1st, 2016, 04:56 PM
^ Dfotw, it looks so great! :applause Your hair has a lot more texture and curl to it and you didn't use a ton of product like in that Oscars photo, so it looks a bit different, but your version looks absolutely amazing!! :D It looks very big, complex and intricate. Great job!! :thumbsup:

dfotw
March 1st, 2016, 05:17 PM
Thank you, meteor! :flower: I'd say my intellectual curiosity about this 'do is satisfied. With my hair, if I want a bun for a function, I'll "settle" for a braided Chinese. :p

meteor
March 1st, 2016, 05:23 PM
^ Very wise, dfotw! :thumbsup: Braided Chinese bun is both very intricate-looking and very hair-friendly - great choice for a formal function without jeopardizing any long-term hair growth goals! ;)