PDA

View Full Version : Coconut oil and cones

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 04:50 AM
I have really dry damaged hair for chemical dyes. I like to put a good dose of coconut oil on my hair the night before I co wash. But i also use a coney leave in almost everyday to control frizz and dryness. What I want to know is if you guys think the coconut oil can penetrate through the cones. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Nique1202
February 29th, 2016, 05:11 AM
Silicones don't make a coating thick enough over enough of the hair shaft to stop everything going through. It's nearly impossible, without conducting microscope and chemical analysis tests, to tell whether coconut oil would or wouldn't still penetrate.

I'd suggest just leaving off the coconut oil for a few washes and seeing if you notice a difference, and whether it's a positive or negative difference if there is one. If there is a difference without the coconut oil, then obviously it's doing something. If there's no difference without the coconut oil, then either it's not penetrating or it's just not helpful for your particular hair when used pre-wash (lots of folks find oils to be unhelpful at different stages).

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 05:22 AM
Silicones don't make a coating thick enough over enough of the hair shaft to stop everything going through. It's nearly impossible, without conducting microscope and chemical analysis tests, to tell whether coconut oil would or wouldn't still penetrate.

I'd suggest just leaving off the coconut oil for a few washes and seeing if you notice a difference, and whether it's a positive or negative difference if there is one. If there is a difference without the coconut oil, then obviously it's doing something. If there's no difference without the coconut oil, then either it's not penetrating or it's just not helpful for your particular hair when used pre-wash (lots of folks find oils to be unhelpful at different stages).

Good advice. Thank you,Nique1202

khryz
February 29th, 2016, 05:54 AM
The other option is to do the oil rinse method, if you eventually find that the pre-wash oiling doesn't work. It's what I do now for my dry hair that goes through bleaching every other month.

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 05:57 AM
The other option is to do the oil rinse method, if you eventually find that the pre-wash oiling doesn't work. It's what I do now for my dry hair that goes through bleaching every other month.

Yes! I've been reading about oil rinsing. Maybe I could try that. Thank you,khryz.

lapushka
February 29th, 2016, 06:11 AM
If you would like the link to the rinse-out oil method, it's in my signature. Just thought I'd give you the link!

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 06:18 AM
Thank you so much,lapushka! I appreciate it.

diddiedaisy
February 29th, 2016, 07:56 AM
I asked this question a good while ago. The consensus was that at least some of it will penetrate. I put coconut oil on most nights and wash in the morning, i also use silicone products in my morning routine. I think that many silicones can also come off when you touch them so I would say that by the end of the day you would have less product on your hair than when you started. You could however though before you put on the coconut oil dampen your hair which will weaken water based silicone and then add your oil. This would also seal in some moisture at the same time.

Secondly, when I experimented this I couldn't tell a difference in my hair when I used coconut oil on freshly washed hair with no silicone in it, or day old hair with silicone. So in my view coconut oil will definitely penetrate hair with some silicone in it, but it may be at a slightly lower level. My hair is bleached and has a high porosity if that helps.

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 08:00 AM
I asked this question a good while ago. The consensus was that at least some of it will penetrate. I put coconut oil on most nights and wash in the morning, i also use silicone products in my morning routine. I think that many silicones can also come off when you touch them so I would say that by the end of the day you would have less product on your hair than when you started. You could however though before you put on the coconut oil dampen your hair which will weaken water based silicone and then add your oil. This would also seal in some moisture at the same time.

Secondly, when I experimented this I couldn't tell a difference in my hair when I used coconut oil on freshly washed hair with no silicone in it, or day old hair with silicone. So in my view coconut oil will definitely penetrate hair with some silicone in it, but it may be at a slightly lower level. My hair is bleached and has a high porosity if that helps.

I was wondering about something like that. I wondered if I should do a light rinsing first. And yes my hair is very porous. It's very light blonde now,but my length has been through a lot of color changes. Thank you for the info,diddiedaisy.

Winter Fox
February 29th, 2016, 08:13 AM
I use coconut oil as a prewash treatment nearly every wash and am also a heavy cone user - conditioners, leave-ins and sometimes also shampoo. From my experience I can tell that the coconut oil does still penetrate the hair.
At least it seems to me to be so because my hair still absorbs the oil. Also my hair and especially my ends feel much better and more moisturized when I use coconut oil as prewash. :D
I second every word Nique1202 said :)

diddiedaisy
February 29th, 2016, 08:19 AM
You're very welcome, it's nice to be able to help someone for a change :) if you are interested I also use olaplex no3 once a week to help strengthen the hair bonds, and once a week I use Philip Kingsley elastisizer too. I leave both of these products on overnight. The elastizer is a great product and leaves my hair feeling gorgeous. You only need a tiny bit so a tube lasts for ages.

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 08:51 AM
I use coconut oil as a prewash treatment nearly every wash and am also a heavy cone user - conditioners, leave-ins and sometimes also shampoo. From my experience I can tell that the coconut oil does still penetrate the hair.
At least it seems to me to be so because my hair still absorbs the oil. Also my hair and especially my ends feel much better and more moisturized when I use coconut oil as prewash. :D
I second every word Nique1202 said :)

Thank you. I did try the oil rinse thing and ended up a stringy mess and had to rewash. So yes I think the pre-poo way may be best for me.

gthlvrmx
February 29th, 2016, 09:55 AM
You can try looking for information on that through a former member's blog, ktani: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/06/coconut-oil-and-mineral-oil-use.html and this link too http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/04/oils-and-access-to-hair.html
Look through her blog to find more about coconut oil if you'd like, though I think she has more information on mineral oil than coconut oil. There may be old threads here on LHC about similar questions to yours with more coconut oil information if you google for them.

Pat Wright
February 29th, 2016, 10:00 AM
You can try looking for information on that through a former member's blog, ktani: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/06/coconut-oil-and-mineral-oil-use.html and this link too http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2012/04/oils-and-access-to-hair.html
Look through her blog to find more about coconut oil if you'd like, though I think she has more information on mineral oil than coconut oil. There may be old threads here on LHC about similar questions to yours with more coconut oil information if you google for them.

Thank you. I will do that.

maborosi
February 29th, 2016, 11:01 AM
Some will penetrate, but coconut oil penetrates best over freshly washed, unconditioned hair. (IE- after clarifying)

I second that you check out ktani's blog, what a fantastic resource.