PDA

View Full Version : Do these layers look as bad as I feel they look.

burns_erin
October 14th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Normally I feel pretty good about my hair. And maybe I should not have had someone take a length picture when I know I kinda need to wash. i think sometimes the bight shiny red usually distracts me from other potential flaws. The red really does entrance me. So do the ends/layers look as raggedy as I feel they are starting to get? Would any of you guys trim it up? I have not had a hair cut since Spetember 2007 when i got the vicious stacked bob, I ahve not had so much as a trim, and I do not have any split ends that i can find. Plus I wear my hair up 90+% of the time. maybe I am being to sensitive.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/m_d598267d55a042059f040383edd9f07a.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=382645505&albumID=855221&imageID=10591571)

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/13/m_179eeb9a89ef4df4bd43d4178070347b.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=382645505&albumID=855221&imageID=10591576)

JessTheMess
October 14th, 2008, 12:13 PM
I say keep on with the updos, and let it grow! I don't see raggedy ends anywhere... You have a healthy shiny hemline as far as I can see :D

mugglemomof3
October 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM
I think they look just fine. And I also think we are always far too hard on ourselves about stuff like this - I know I am. You have very pretty hair.

Islandgrrl
October 14th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I'm pretty sure the ends don't look as bad as you think they look.

They do look pretty thick and in good condition. A little uneven, maybe, but not bad in the least.

You have options. Option 1 is to leave it alone and put it up for a few months. It's a good option, and almost always the one I take myself when I'm feeling less than satisfied with whatever hair oddness I'm having.

Option 2, trim it all even. You're going to lose some length if you do this.

Option 3, microtrims, or dusting, or whatever you want to call it. Take the barest minimum off the bottom as evenly as possible once a month or so until it all looks "right" to you.

I'm sure there are other options, too, but this is what my brain is able to spit out right now!

At the very least, take option one for a few weeks and see how you feel. No matter how tempting, never ever cut, even a tiny bit, without careful consideration and mindfulness.

LaurelSpring
October 14th, 2008, 12:34 PM
I am having the same problem with my layers growing out. I dont want to cut them because there are just more layers to grow out so I am just leaving it be. I dont want to loose any length and I want fairytale ends. I am already upset with myself for my last trim and cut off the "tail" back there. I wish I have never done that.

spidermom
October 14th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Yup; if it were me, I'd get it trimmed by about 1/2". It looks pretty good, though. If you like fairy tale ends (an uneven, untrimmed hem), let it grow as is.

Euphony
October 14th, 2008, 01:23 PM
It looks a smidge uneven, but that could be the way it was combed or whatever. You have a U shape going on, I have that as well but my U is much more there if you know what I mean. Now I'm thinking I need to get new glasses or something because I've now seen a few "my hair looks bad, should I trim" threads and the hair looks fine to me. Maybe I'm less critical because I'm used to wavy hair myself and that hides a lot of uneveness unless it's very pronounced.

burns_erin
October 14th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Well most pictures look more like my signature pic and due to the way I tend to keep my hair up, when down, the ends tend to curl strongly under or flip outward. I just saw it though more straight and felt...ughh. I am a little afraid to get a trim around here because everyone wants to chop, and it is not long enough for me to comfortably trim myself, and there is no family member I trust with scissors. I will probably leave it alone because physically texture wise it does not need a trim. And, DH probably would not notice even if I had an extremely assymetric cut. And since i normally can not see it...., well it was just one of those days when I was feeling pretty good, and bam! instant ego crush.

Haith
October 14th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I think your hair looks great and healthy. If it were my hair, I would not trim. But, you have to do what you think is best. In this case, since you are unsure, I vote that you evoke the 2-week rule. Wait 2 weeks, if you still want to trim a half-inch, do so then.

jessie58
October 14th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Your hair looks lovely and healthy to me. I hated my ends last year in photos and thought they looked horrid. I cut them shortly after and then went back to the pictures that I hated and said to myself, WHAT WAS I THINKING? My hair looked great.
Sometimes we just get in a hair hating mood, it will pass though.

DecafJane
October 14th, 2008, 03:06 PM
I think your hair looks fine! :)
I'm in a very similar situation, but possibly more extreme (take a peek at my signature!) as I'm growing out a pixie. My plan is to grow to BSL and then maintain for six months while I even things up. If I were you, and had healthy ends, I would keep it up and do the same thing. :D

burns_erin
October 14th, 2008, 03:34 PM
Thanks everyone for all your kind words and encouragement. I guess everyone has those hair hating days. But, it is nice to have somewhere to go to get opinions without people thinking you are too nuerotic. or worse, saying, "if you don't like it, just chop it of, I think you would look great with a bob."

Chromis
October 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
I think I would let let it grow until it is long enough to self trim since it looks like you're *almost* there to be able to do so comfortably. Then I'd take just a smidge off to even it up. The ends do look nice and thick and healthy though!

ladyshannonanne
October 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I think your ends look fine. I'm in the same boat as you, growing out a stacked bob from last winter. I got my hair cut short in November of 2007, and I had my first cut since then this past Friday. I trimmed because I have wavier hair than you do, and it's probably drier. My ends were not looking quite as happy as yours do.

Pull your hair up and see if you can go for another six months. Especially at the shorter length we're both at, we can pull off a long time between cuts because our hair is so young.

BTW, your hemline is amazingly even for the length of time you've gone since your last trim. My hemline was about an inch and a half longer on one side than the other before I trimmed it. (Of course, I kind of cheated and didn't take off too much, so one side is still noticeably longer. Oh, well.)

Tangles
October 14th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Normally I feel pretty good about my hair. And maybe I should not have had someone take a length picture when I know I kinda need to wash. i think sometimes the bight shiny red usually distracts me from other potential flaws. The red really does entrance me. So do the ends/layers look as raggedy as I feel they are starting to get? Would any of you guys trim it up? I have not had a hair cut since Spetember 2007 when i got the vicious stacked bob, I ahve not had so much as a trim, and I do not have any split ends that i can find. Plus I wear my hair up 90+% of the time. maybe I am being to sensitive.

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/m_d598267d55a042059f040383edd9f07a.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=382645505&albumID=855221&imageID=10591571)

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/13/m_179eeb9a89ef4df4bd43d4178070347b.jpg (http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=382645505&albumID=855221&imageID=10591576)

Have you ever actually seen fried layers? :)

burns_erin
October 14th, 2008, 04:31 PM
Have you ever actually seen fried layers? :)

Yeppers, I used to have them myself, blondeness and curling irons and blowfriers, oh my. And believe you me I am thankful that is not me this time around.