PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my scalp? dandruff? (pictures)

Chocowalnut
February 28th, 2016, 11:35 AM
I get these white dry flaky patches I think only right on top in the center of my head. I have been getting a big white flaky scab thing there and I picked it off and it looked like this. I've had problems with white flakes plenty before but never like this picture. Anyone else have this? What should i do about this?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12196&attachmentid=21794
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=12196&attachmentid=21794

meteor
February 28th, 2016, 11:45 AM
Hmm, can you see a doctor, either a derm or a family doctor to look at this?
If the area also itches and is inflamed and on the oily side, maybe that could be SD? In that case, it might be worth trying an anti-fungal shampoo (e.g. ketoconazole-based Nizoral).

Chocowalnut
February 28th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Hmm, can you see a doctor, either a derm or a family doctor to look at this?
If the area also itches and is inflamed and on the oily side, maybe that could be SD? In that case, it might be worth trying an anti-fungal shampoo (e.g. ketoconazole-based Nizoral).

Its not itchy and it's very dry. I would like to see a derm and going to try to, wanted to get you guys opinion first though.

meteor
February 28th, 2016, 12:11 PM
^ Personally, I like to have something anti-fungal on hand for those situations - e.g. neem oil or tea tree oil (it needs to be well diluted) or a ketoconazole or selenium sulfide-based anti-dandruff shampoo or something like that. I would still recommend going to a doctor if it doesn't go away fast. :flower:

lapushka
February 28th, 2016, 12:29 PM
Yes, angry red patch, flakes bigger than pin pricks. That is not dandruff, that is SD. I well and truly recognize the redness and the flakes (mine are usually bigger). You need to treat that asap!

Go get yourself some Nizoral 2%, and follow the instructions to the T! I think 2% is prescription in the US (it is OTC in Belgium, we don't have the 1%), so best might be to go see a doctor anyway. Treat your whole head, not just the patch!

If it does not lessen (the redness might go last)... Usually itching and flakes go prior to the redness lessening bit by bit. If it does not go away within the month (give it that), while being consistent with Nizoral and only Nizoral, go see a doctor.

I think Nizoral 1% might be too weak to touch this.

Chocowalnut
February 28th, 2016, 12:41 PM
Alright. I thought SD was prone to oily hair and mine is dry so I thought it might be scalp psoriasis. I will try to make an appointment with a dermatologist and get the medicine.

Swan Maiden
February 28th, 2016, 12:58 PM
Lapushka is spot on (hehe) If you can't make it to a Dermatologist soon, listen to her and get some Nizoral. Use it at least 3x a week until it resolves and let it soak in for about 10 minutes (this is what my dermatologist told me)

Eta: my hair is not oily and I have a confirmed diagnosis of SD. I'm not saying you have SD , but until you can get to a doc, over the counter Nizoral certainly would be okay to try.

lapushka
February 28th, 2016, 01:01 PM
Alright. I thought SD was prone to oily hair and mine is dry so I thought it might be scalp psoriasis. I will try to make an appointment with a dermatologist and get the medicine.

Yes, I'm no doctor. Of course! I can only share my experience. If you don't have oily hair, it might be something else entirely. Safest bet is to go to a doctor, couldn't agree more! Let us know when you've gone, what the doc said.

Beborani
February 28th, 2016, 01:04 PM
A lot of skin conditions look similar to us laypersons--dermatologist is your best bet, even general practioners can get it wrong.

vpatt
February 29th, 2016, 11:03 AM
It could possibly be psoriasis. Aren't you stretching washes? Did you have this before stretching?

maborosi
February 29th, 2016, 11:07 AM
It looks like it could be SD, maybe?

I would see a derm, because that does not look like regular dandruff.

lapis_lazuli
February 29th, 2016, 11:16 AM
Could someone please explain to me what is 'SD'/what it stands for? I have a similar problem of getting big flakes at the front of my head (although it is not red/enflamed) and wonder if it is more than just dandruff. The shampoo I use is supposed to target this but it's not seeming to get better.

Anje
February 29th, 2016, 11:26 AM
Could someone please explain to me what is 'SD'/what it stands for? I have a similar problem of getting big flakes at the front of my head (although it is not red/enflamed) and wonder if it is more than just dandruff. The shampoo I use is supposed to target this but it's not seeming to get better.

I always have to check the spelling, but it's Seborrheic Dermatitis. Big flakes, irritation, and it tends to react negatively to oils. It's pretty common, and people prone to it tend to find that keeping their scalps extra clean is the easiest way to keep it from flaring up. :)

lapis_lazuli
February 29th, 2016, 11:33 AM
I always have to check the spelling, but it's Seborrheic Dermatitis. Big flakes, irritation, and it tends to react negatively to oils. It's pretty common, and people prone to it tend to find that keeping their scalps extra clean is the easiest way to keep it from flaring up. :)

Ah, thank you! :) I'll consider seeing a dermatologist about it if this keeps up...

Wusel
February 29th, 2016, 12:08 PM
Yes... it looks like Seborrheic Dermatitis... Go see a doctor.

Sarahlabyrinth
February 29th, 2016, 07:24 PM
So, how do you get it, or is it an auto-immune thing?

mira-chan
February 29th, 2016, 07:35 PM
It's usually a fungal overgrowth from whatever your scalp is secreting along with sebum (wastes come out in the sweat and mix with it). The fungus/ yeast likes it and has a party to which the scalp responds by trying to produce a lot more skin and flake it off. It can also be from irritation to oils or products used, which again can make the fungi and bacteria naturally living on your skin have a wild party.

yahirwaO.o
February 29th, 2016, 07:43 PM
It's usually a fungal overgrowth from whatever your scalp is secreting along with sebum (wastes come out in the sweat and mix with it). The fungus/ yeast likes it and has a party to which the scalp responds by trying to produce a lot more skin and flake it off. It can also be from irritation to oils or products used, which again can make the fungi and bacteria naturally living on your skin have a wild party.

So thats why I simply turn my back whenever I hear about stretching washes!!! :run:

mira-chan
February 29th, 2016, 08:21 PM
So thats why I simply turn my back whenever I hear about stretching washes!!! :run:

:lol: I depends on body chemistry, diet and stuff you put on your scalp/ skin. Some can swim in oil daily and never use shampoo and they'll be fine, others have the microbe party.

Darkhorse1
February 29th, 2016, 10:26 PM
I've had the same and for me, it's SD. Try head and shoulders---it's fairly mild, though I would condition ends then shampoo, then condition again. Depending on your stress level and if you live in a cold climate, these can contribute to SD break outs. Also, if you don't wash your hair enough, you may be creating an environment that the fungus that is SD loves. It loves dark areas that has excess oils. As a result, it over produces skin cells and viola, dandruff.

Mirabele
March 1st, 2016, 12:44 AM
I am having a similar problem lately, lots and lots of scalp flakes. i do not have red patches though. sometimes mine is itchy sometimes not but those flakes are terrible. i normally do not brush, so it doesn't show that much to others, (but i see it in the deepest layers close to my scalp myself), but the times i do, my hair looks like covered in variuous size of snow flakes. it all started when i started to stretch washes from to to three days. from all i read here it looks like my scalp doesn't like stretched watches and i suspect i am having (at least) mild SD case on my scalp. it is realy a pity, i so wanted to try to stretch. if i am having this SD condition, i have to stop pre-wash oiling my scalp and probably go back to sls shampoos. it is really a pity because i liked oils and no-sls and my hair seemed to like it too.

lapushka
March 1st, 2016, 04:27 AM
I've had the same and for me, it's SD. Try head and shoulders---it's fairly mild, though I would condition ends then shampoo, then condition again. Depending on your stress level and if you live in a cold climate, these can contribute to SD break outs. Also, if you don't wash your hair enough, you may be creating an environment that the fungus that is SD loves. It loves dark areas that has excess oils. As a result, it over produces skin cells and viola, dandruff.

If I have SD pretty bad (and that includes red patches), then only Nizoral helps. Dandruff shampoos don't do anything in that case. If, however, I have tiny flakes at my temples, then yes, that'll fix it, but for something that *angry*. Nope. Not enough strength and oomph to it.