PDA

View Full Version : Olive oil not right for my hair?

Lisa-K
February 28th, 2016, 08:07 AM
So I've been oiling the length and ends of my hair with extra virgin olive oil for several weeks now. I don't do a deep oil treatment; just basically lightly moisturize it until it builds up enough to where I have to wash it on my regular washing day anyway.

Now, I don't know if it's the oil that's causing this: but I noticed that when brushing my hair these days, the brush kind of gets stuck at the ends as they are tangled and then some ends break off. I have a nice Tek brush that usually glides through everything just fine, and my hair recently had a trim and the ends were impeccable. So the only culprit I can figure at this point is the oil. Is that even possible? I do find it looks more dry when I wash it now. Which was never the case before I started using olive oil. Now it only starts to feel and look better after I've put oil in. I'm starting to think I've stepped into a vicious circle here.

I've been thinking about trying other oils anyway. The top 3 on my list are: coconut, jojoba and argan. Which of those should I try first? I think jojoba and argan are lighter oils, right?

I'm still puzzled as to how olive oil could be bad in the first place anyway. :confused:

bunneh.
February 28th, 2016, 08:14 AM
Have you tried applying oil on damp hair? That way it has some moisture to lock in instead of just laying there. I usually dampen the ends of my hair in the evening, lightly oil it (only a couple of drops of EVOO), braid it, sleep and in the morning when I take my hair out of the braid it looks moisturized. I don't do this every single night though and I haven't experienced any more tangling this way and satin pillowcase helps a lot.

I've used jojoba and it's okay, it's much much lighter than olive and more forgiving in a sense that it won't ruin the look of your hair if you use a drop too much, but I always go back to olive as it's cheaper and works just as well.

Lisa-K
February 28th, 2016, 08:24 AM
^^ That's a good idea! I'll try that.

I usually pin my hair in a bun on top of my head at night, so I don't think I really need a satin pillow case that way. I've tried satin pillow cases before and hated sleeping on them lol

lapushka
February 28th, 2016, 08:32 AM
You might be using too much oil on it. After washing, just like bunneh. mentioned, use a couple of drops (measure it out!), spread it through your palms and coat the lengths. That's all you need, *after* applying some kind of leave-in product. It is called the LOC/LCO method (link is in my signature).

Pharmacies (in Belgium) might still sell apothecary bottles with droppers, decant your oil into them. These things can be bought online as well. It's the best thing I did for my oil product (MO for me).

Lisa-K
February 28th, 2016, 08:46 AM
^^ Great! Thanks for the advice!

Hairkay
February 28th, 2016, 09:21 AM
I simply got olive oil sold in a spray bottle that way I only spray a little bit into my palm, rub my hands together then pass my hands over my hair ends. Here's what it looks like.

http://www.waitrose.com/shop/DisplayProductFlyout?productId=105640

spidermom
February 28th, 2016, 10:42 AM
I like to use oil the night before washing my hair. I get best results that way. When I use oil after washing on damp or dry hair, it attracts lint and dust to my hair and makes it tangle too easily.