PDA

View Full Version : argan oil help?

emmadilemma
February 27th, 2016, 03:35 PM
I just bought a bottle of organic cold pressed argan oil (and I know its 100% actual argan oil, so the reason I'm not liking it so far isnt that..) and I just...dont...get it? I've put it on and let it sit before I washed my hair and I've also tried putting just a little on my ends and lengths for a little conditioning and I just think its...crap? How do you guys use it? What am I doing wrong? I was so pumped for this 'liquid gold'! :(:confused:

lapushka
February 27th, 2016, 03:39 PM
Is it too heavy or too light? As a pre-poo it should basically be alright. Is it hard to wash out?

How do you use it after washing? Just a few drops on damp hair after washing, spread through palms should be enough. It is a quite heavy oil, so you need to be careful with it.

emmadilemma
February 27th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Is it too heavy or too light? As a pre-poo it should basically be alright. Is it hard to wash out?

How do you use it after washing? Just a few drops on damp hair after washing, spread through palms should be enough. It is a quite heavy oil, so you need to be careful with it.

It wasnt hard to wash out, it just basically didnt do..anything. My hair was frizzy after I washed it out, and it wasnt shiny or particularly soft like I was hoping for after all the raves about it, you know? I did put it on dry hair after I washed because I thought, if its an oil and my hair is damp theres no point in putting it on my hair because oil wont penetrate water so it wont be doing anything to my hair? Plus it was pretty heavy on my dry hair. I'll have to try it that way though!

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 03:49 PM
Oils are very YMMV. Maybe another oil will work better for your hair or maybe your hair doesn't need any oiling at all? :) Does your skin like argan oil, though? If it does, you could use it that way, under or over a moisturizer, for example. :)

If argan is too heavy for you as a leave-in, you could try it in pre-poo treatments, in oil rinses (rinse-out oil method) or added to conditioner/mask from time to time.

lapushka
February 27th, 2016, 03:55 PM
It wasnt hard to wash out, it just basically didnt do..anything. My hair was frizzy after I washed it out, and it wasnt shiny or particularly soft like I was hoping for after all the raves about it, you know? I did put it on dry hair after I washed because I thought, if its an oil and my hair is damp theres no point in putting it on my hair because oil wont penetrate water so it wont be doing anything to my hair? Plus it was pretty heavy on my dry hair. I'll have to try it that way though!

Nope. It's better (IMMHO) on damp hair, so it can nicely lock in the moisture.

Obsidian
February 27th, 2016, 04:00 PM
I always put it in my hair damp, it helps control the frizz and isn't heavy at all. You only need a few drops. Using any oil on my hair dry does nothing except make it oily. I'm not a fan of pre poo oiling either, it doesn't do a thing for me.

emmadilemma
February 27th, 2016, 04:16 PM
Oils are very YMMV. Maybe another oil will work better for your hair or maybe your hair doesn't need any oiling at all? :) Does your skin like argan oil, though? If it does, you could use it that way, under or over a moisturizer, for example. :)

If argan is too heavy for you as a leave-in, you could try it in pre-poo treatments, in oil rinses (rinse-out oil method) or added to conditioner/mask from time to time.

I'm gonna try all of your suggestions! Thank you guys!

mira-chan
February 27th, 2016, 09:21 PM
I use a lot less argan oil than coconut oil in applications. It might not work with your body chemistry too. For example sweet almond oil makes my hair and skin feel both oily and crunchy dry, others swear by it.

bunneh.
February 28th, 2016, 07:30 AM
I like rinse out oils like lapushka said as well. That ensures moisture gets locked in the hair and doesn't make it look greasy as you wash it off. With applying oils on dry hair you have to be really careful as it is easy to use too much and make your hair look greasy.

lapushka
February 28th, 2016, 08:37 AM
I like rinse out oils like lapushka said as well. That ensures moisture gets locked in the hair and doesn't make it look greasy as you wash it off. With applying oils on dry hair you have to be really careful as it is easy to use too much and make your hair look greasy.

I didn't actually mention the rinse out oil method. ;) I did mention the LOC method, but it's all in my signature (to be explored) anyway, so... :D