PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to achieve cool beige temporary color

Hopeful65
February 27th, 2016, 12:56 PM
I was wanting to know if anyone has experience in mixing Manic Panic colors to achieve a cool/ash brown tone, that I can then mix with conditioner to achieve a more pastel beige.

My hair is ashy brown with about 75% white (virgin hair). I currently use Fanciful deposit-only rinse in the lightest color 'Sweet Cream', which gives me a slight cool blondish beige color. But I was hoping to try to figure out a way of being able to use Manic Panic the way you do for pastel colors with conditioner (but I want a natural cool beige color).

I do have knowledge of the color wheel. My concern is choosing the right colors, as I have heard that some colors can fade differently.

Any ideas or tips? Would Manic Panic stain my hair long term when used this way?

I also thought that if I could find the right color combination I might possibly be able to add some in my shampoo, so it would be like how you use purple shampoo to deposit slight color to your hair. I just want it to be subtle, not like "oh you colored your hair", but just to give the white hair a cool beige tone. I chose Manic Panic because I can easily get it locally, and I want something totally non damaging (no lift).

lithostoic
February 27th, 2016, 01:55 PM
They have a toner if that's what you're asking. It's called Virgin Snow.

lapushka
February 27th, 2016, 02:15 PM
I think Manic Panic *really* stains and can do so badly. I'd stick to what works. Why change something that works perfectly for you?

In any case, strand test!

Hopeful65
February 27th, 2016, 02:15 PM
Yes, I have used Virgin Snow in the past when I used to tone my bleached ends. I have since grown the bleach out.
Virgin snow on my now white hair only gives it a lavender grayish look now that it's not bleached brassy color.
I would need to add a little color.
I almost wonder if a dab of yellow with the virgin snow could work?
I don't want yellow hair in any way, but yellow+purple = brown.

That's basically my dilemma, I know that for example yellow+purple, or red+green, but there are various purples, or different shades of red. I'm hoping maybe someone has tried doing this before, and could tell me if it worked, or what combinations might be best.

Hopeful65
February 27th, 2016, 02:22 PM
I think Manic Panic *really* stains and can do so badly. I'd stick to what works. Why change something that works perfectly for you?

In any case, strand test!

I'm almost thinking the same thing. I'm a little worried that the colors could stain, or worse, fade to a strange color on my very light hair. I got the idea of trying this by watching youtube videos of people mixing colors with conditioner to get very light pastel colors. But there aren't any 'natural' brown colors to work with.

I just thought I would toss the idea out there in hopes that someone with more know-how might guide me.

lapushka
February 27th, 2016, 02:23 PM
I think MP is bright bright colors. And you're needing to basically look for "natural hair colors" with those "undertones". I think that's the difference.

*Stella*
February 27th, 2016, 02:32 PM
I have found the best way to make blonde shades is to dilute orange (with white silicone free conditioner) and add a smidge of blue, I have never used Manic Panic though as it is really expensive in the UK, especially considering you don't get much longevity. It is not a long lasting brand. Diluted colours are very unlikely to stain.
There is a brand of direct dyes that come in a range of natural shades, Adore. they have browns that can be diluted to make blonde shades.
I have made all shades of blonde, from golden to silver, with just three colours; Mocha (which is a warm brown) Medium Brown (which is very ash toned, dilutes quite green) and Blue Black

Anje
February 27th, 2016, 05:42 PM
I keep using Adore dye, which unlike Manic Panic comes in natural colors as well as fun ones.

Hopeful65
February 27th, 2016, 05:55 PM
I will look into Adore. I have never seen it around where I live. But of course I've never looked either.

MsPharaohMoan
February 27th, 2016, 07:15 PM
I think if you're getting lavendar gray you're using too much of the product and should dilute it more (or so I think I remember from a brief foray into researching white hair color maintenance)