PDA

View Full Version : No-twist buns

lillielil
February 26th, 2016, 07:58 PM
Other than the LWB, are there any buns that don't involve twisting? It doesn't seem to agree with my hair, but I'm stuck in a rut and would like to branch out.

sumidha
February 26th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Chinese bun?

lillielil
February 26th, 2016, 10:39 PM
Ooh, good one. Thank you!

parkmikii
February 27th, 2016, 02:08 AM
The nautilus bun ^^

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 02:11 AM
Disc bun, and for variation, 3-strand disk bun.

Hypnotica
February 27th, 2016, 02:16 AM
The everyday bun.

lillielil
February 27th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Nautilus = twisting for me. Maybe I'm doing it wrong, but the initial loop definitely seems twisty.

What is the everyday bun? I don't think I've seen that, though the name implies it is something quite simple.

Disc = two LWBs in 1, right? I need to work on that one. It come out a weird unflattering shape when I tried it last. Time to try again!

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 07:27 AM
Hypnotica has a video of her "everyday bun" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsNJ3j1VSg)

Yes disk bun is sort of like 2 LWB, the other goes anticlockwise, the other clockwise. The 3 strand version looks nice too.

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 07:32 AM
Many twisty buns can become non-twisty when hair is braided, if you have the length.

Hypnotica's lazy french twist might suit your requirements, it doesn't twist much and what it does it's very loose.

Then maybe chinese bun, start it with few stitches of braid instead of a ponytail holder. The stick can be placed between the mini braid and scalp, and then start wrapping the hair.

Hypnotica
February 27th, 2016, 09:03 AM
Come to think about it, the wrapped stick bun is not depending on twisting either.

lapushka
February 27th, 2016, 09:48 AM
If you make a ponytail with an elastic before you bun, you do not have to twist any bun.

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 11:47 AM
Disc bun, and for variation, 3-strand disk bun.
Ooh interesting! How is it done? :) Does anybody have any links for this? :)

There are some great ideas posted here!

I'll add braided buns: once the hair is braided it's easy to fold or wrap around the base and pin without any twisting.
E.g. Braided Tuck, the Masara, Braided Cinnabun, Ellingwoman braided bun, Amish braided bun, French Braided Pinless Bun, Braided Chinese bun, etc...

Also, check out the Knot Bun, Celtic Knot bun and all sorts of "finger-fold" structures for buns:
L-Infinity Bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ
Modified Pha Bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGfOU1OPR1I
Chameleon Bun - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr1gwxHBgRM

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 11:49 AM
Oh, and don't forget Spidermom's bun / double-loop bun: it's super-comfy! ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 11:52 AM
I have no idea if there is a tutorial out there, it's just something I came up with when I played with my hair.

3-strand disc bun

It's done as normal disc bun, but instead of 2 sections, hair is divided into 3. Two were wrapped in anticlockwise direction, each looped over a different finger, the last is wrapped in clockwise direction and looped over thumb. 2 sticks are inserted so that each come out of the thumb loop, and each go in from their own loop opposite side of the thumb. (Feel free to change directions and so on.)

I even tried making this with 4 section and while technically possible, it didn't turn out sturdy on my hair. Might work for longer hair though.

This bun might well be a well know bun, and/or go with different name. I sort of assumed it's a common variation. It doesn't look that much different from the original, I bet no muggle would notice.

I don't really watch hair tutorials other than if I google something specific and a video comes up, so I am clueless what kinds of buns are out there these days. I have forgotten many bun names and how-tos since my last time as a longhair.

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 12:01 PM
I have no idea if there is a tutorial out there, it's just something I came up with when I played with my hair. It's done as normal disc bun, but instead of 2 sections, hair is divided into 3. 2 were wrapped in anticlockwise direction, each looped over a different finger, the last is wrapped in clockwise direction and looped over thumb. 2 sticks are inserted so that each come out of the thumb loop, and each go in from their own loop opposite side of the thumb.

Sounds awesome! :applause I bet a lot of folks would benefit from a tutorial/pictorial/graph if you have the time ( ;) *nudge nudge*) You always come up with great ideas! :thumbsup:
I'd love to see this too :) , because I often try to turn my braided L-Infinity Bun into a bun with 3 loops, rather than 2 loops, and sometimes it holds but other times I can't control the hair wrapped 3 times over different fingers and it falls apart. I think what you are describing might be similar, only it involves splitting hair into 3 sections first. So I'd love to see good ways of folding/pinning this in place.

Do you have the two sticks going in 2 different loops but exiting through the same, third loop, since there are 3 loops available? Or does the second stick exit somewhere else (maybe the stem of the bun)? Or am I missing something? :)

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Oh no, one more tutorial on my growing to do list :run::couch: (LOL)

I'll try to make a tutorial some time, or at least take a photo of the finished product :) I have been putting tutorials and such on backburned because I need to prioritize other things first right now, and for a perfectionist that I am, a simple tutorial can easily take a day or more. I have several on queue, but unless I get a really strong inspiration, they'll just have to wait.

Yes I insert both stick from their own loop (for clarity's sake) from the right side of the bun. Then both come out from the same loop (the thumb loop) at the left side. I'm not familiar with L-infinity, but I can imagine wrapping thigh length hair is a different beast than wrapping APL hair :D

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 12:36 PM
^ Oh thanks a bunch, Arctic! That's really cool! Yes, that's how I imagine the sticks going through loops! Thanks for clarifying! It is actually quite a bit similar to L-Infinity if a 3rd loop is added, only it uses all length for each new loop, rather than sections of hair - but finger-fold structure is similar.

And hey, about that 4th loop... as long as the fingers are long enough and agile enough ;) , if it's possible to hold all those loops down and secure - why not? ;) That would be really cool! :applause

And hey, no pressure about the tutorials, of course, dear Arctic! :flowers: Gotta do what you gotta do with priorities! :D And you know the LHC: we can wait as long as needed (patience and all... ;) )! :D

Arctic
February 27th, 2016, 12:52 PM
Ha ha, yes, we are a patient bunch :D

I googled l-infinity, and yes if done with 3 looks the idea is very similar. I also just learned that L-infinity is some kind of mathematical element, symbolized with ℓ∞, so looks like 3 loops would be the perfect number for that bun :D

meteor
February 27th, 2016, 03:56 PM
Ha ha, yes, we are a patient bunch :D

I googled l-infinity, and yes if done with 3 looks the idea is very similar. I also just learned that L-infinity is some kind of mathematical element, symbolized with ℓ∞, so looks like 3 loops would be the perfect number for that bun :D

Thanks a lot, Arctic! :D I didn't even think of that! I imagined the "L" in L-Infinity stood for "Lazy" :p (since the real Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyc-1cT9_AE) is harder - it takes twisting and is kind of hard to pin down) or maybe for the position of thumb and index finger in "L" shape (though one can certainly use 2, 3 or 4 fingers instead). But I like your version of the story behind the name much better, Arctic! ;)

gthlvrmx
February 27th, 2016, 05:51 PM
Oh, and don't forget Spidermom's bun / double-loop bun: it's super-comfy! ;) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8

There's another variation that I find easy to do too. Here is how to do it (it even works for hair that is around APL):
If your hair is shorter, there's a cheater version of Spidermom's bun that I found to be secure. Bunch your hair in a like making a ponytail, then wrap it all around one or two fingers. Wrap the majority of the hair around the base of the ponytail, tucking your ends in when finished. Then, feel the hair wrapped around your fingers. Split it in half (I use a stick) and push the stick down in the middle of the loop. Wiggle it through the center of the bun, then pull the other half of the hair in your fingers down and stick the stick up through that loop. It's like having a flexi-eight made of your own hair.

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 01:24 AM
There's another variation that I find easy to do too. Here is how to do it (it even works for hair that is around APL):

I know that one! it was around the last time I grew my hair out too. I am sure it has a name but guess if I can remember it now :laugh:

ETA: Sarahlabyrint once wrote she had a similar bun she did around APL, she split the loop in 4 IIRC and the bun had a clover-like cage-appearance.

Arctic
February 28th, 2016, 01:26 AM
Thanks a lot, Arctic! :D I didn't even think of that! I imagined the "L" in L-Infinity stood for "Lazy" :p (since the real Infinity Bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyc-1cT9_AE) is harder - it takes twisting and is kind of hard to pin down) or maybe for the position of thumb and index finger in "L" shape (though one can certainly use 2, 3 or 4 fingers instead). But I like your version of the story behind the name much better, Arctic! ;)

I have seen the name here and the L has always perplexed me too :) I like the mathematical name too, with it's cool symbol ℓ∞ :)

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 09:16 AM
Thank you all for the excellent suggestions! I wore a Chinese bun for a few hours on Saturday (started with a braid), but discovered that I had weird ends sticking out and swapped it for a LWB. I'll definitely add that one to the list, though, provided that I look in the mirror before leaving the house!

I will have to try the rest of the suggestions. I don't want to use an elastic in my hair, but other than that I think most of the suggestions should work either at my current length or in the future. I'm trying out the L-infinity now, but need to do it about a dozen more times before it will look decent, I think. Wrapping over one finger feels weird to me.

meteor
February 29th, 2016, 12:34 PM
^ Sounds great, lillielil! :D
By the way, I should mention that there is no need to tie off braids (they hold very well when they are bunned and pinned); and one can wrap over multiple fingers instead of just one (I tend to use 3-4 fingers on second loop with L-Infinity) - we all need to figure out our own way, and the size of loop(s) and the number of fingers used are pretty YMMV. ;)

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 01:04 PM
My comment about the elastic was meant to be regarding to suggestion to start any style with a ponytail. I definitely do not tie off braids unless they are loose. I just braid to the very end and then tuck them under. In general, though, I tend not to braid my hair very often at all. I'm trying to incorporate more braided styles. Part of my reason for not braiding is the same as my reason for not twisting - I think my hair looks pretty crummy when it has been twisted or braided all day, then taken down in the evening. I really enjoy the 5 minutes I spend every evening with loose bun waves. Since that's the only time it is down, I should get over it.

When I get some more length I will try wrapping over multiple fingers. Right now I'm barely past BSL. I can make (with varying degrees of success) a number of styles that usually require more length because my hair is on the thin side, but I'm just now at the point that I've started wrapping my LWB on 3 fingers instead of 2 depending on the toy I'm using to hold it.

meteor
February 29th, 2016, 01:27 PM
^ :D Oh yes, in that case, all sorts of wrap buns (lwb, disc, spidermom's, l-infinity, chameleon, etc...) are probably a safe bet. ;) Also, if you don't have problems with pulling hair through the loop, you could experiment with such no-twist structures as the Pretzel bun, Celtic Knot bun or Knot bun and variations of those.
And I really agree that the hair toy changes the way it can be bunned and the required tightness of the bun. :agree: For example, the stuff that I do with 1 thin stick would be really tough to pin with a fork and vice versa. In general, it seems that the more prongs, the bigger the loops and more loose the wrapping needs to be. :)

Anje
February 29th, 2016, 01:31 PM
LOL, you can go without tying off braids? I'll end up with about 8 inches more unbraided by the time the bun is formed. :D

neko_kawaii
February 29th, 2016, 01:41 PM
Hypnotica has a video of her "everyday bun" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbsNJ3j1VSg)

Yes disk bun is sort of like 2 LWB, the other goes anticlockwise, the other clockwise. The 3 strand version looks nice too.

I just about snorted tea when I heard the background music on that one.

LOL, you can go without tying off braids? I'll end up with about 8 inches more unbraided by the time the bun is formed. :D
Me too. So I tie off the end, start to put up the bun and when I reach the tie I slip it off and continue bunning.

I've found that very few buns actually require twisting in their construction (the cinnamon bun being the obvious exception). I don't twist, simply because I'm lazy and twisting is an extra step.

meteor
February 29th, 2016, 01:45 PM
Yes, it can unbraid at the bottom a bit during the bunning process, but that's probably just the last one or two wraps, so even if the unbraided tassel is long, it goes nicely in the bun - I find it doesn't really have to be braided to the very end, since that section gets tucked in. ;)

Me too. So I tie off the end, start to put up the bun and when I reach the tie I slip it off and continue bunning.

That's a nice solution! :D

lillielil
February 29th, 2016, 02:27 PM

Absolutely! To achieve this, I recommend bleaching the life out of your hair, dunking it in a highly chlorinated pool twice a week, wearing it down all the time or in a pull-through poof of a "bun", and occasionally twirling it. After a few months it should be good and grippy.

When I get all the damage trimmed out I am going to have to completely re-think a lot of styles.

Christine_O
February 29th, 2016, 04:58 PM
Absolutely! To achieve this, I recommend bleaching the life out of your hair, dunking it in a highly chlorinated pool twice a week, wearing it down all the time or in a pull-through poof of a "bun", and occasionally twirling it. After a few months it should be good and grippy.

When I get all the damage trimmed out I am going to have to completely re-think a lot of styles.

LOL! I wondered about that. I've nick-named my hair 'Slick'. I couldn't even remove the tie at the end of the bunning process, it would just all fall apart. Not that I have enough hair right now for a braided bun, but back in the day...

There are some great suggestions here! Thanks everyone!

Arctic
March 2nd, 2016, 07:36 AM
3-strand disc bun photo and re-written instructions are now in my blog. (CLICK (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=125332))
The photo isn't great, I just snapped it in a hurry and it ended up blurry. I'll re-take the photo when I make the style the next time.

meteor
March 2nd, 2016, 09:09 AM
^ That's so awesome, Arctic! :flowers: Super clear instructions! Your whole blog is really awesome! :applause

Arctic
March 2nd, 2016, 09:31 AM
Thanks Meteor! The 3-strand version might not work for hair as long as you have, but it would be great if someone with thick hair would try it. I have a feeling this version might make bunning doable even earlier than regular disc bun would.

meteor
March 2nd, 2016, 09:54 AM
Thanks Meteor! The 3-strand version might not work for hair as long as you have, but it would be great if someone with thick hair would try it. I have a feeling this version might make bunning doable even earlier than regular disc bun would.

^ Most definitely! :agree: I have a problem with disc buns causing tangling at current length, unfortunately (lots of wrapping at the base/stem in opposite directions does it), but I bet the more sections are created, the shorter/thicker the hair can be for the bun to be do-able. :thumbsup:
So, the length/bun progression is probably something like this:
3-strand disc bun -> disc bun -> LWB -> double-loop LWBs (spidermom's, l-infinity, etc etc) and some variations of LWB for long hair (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sqx1uuCdE, etc...)

Arctic
March 2nd, 2016, 10:05 AM
I can see how the wrapping becomes difficult with very long hair. I'm just barely now able to make LWBs and they are not yet reliable. Hopefully soon! Let's see if I ever get to the lengths where those buns after LWB become possible. :D That's a good reference list of the bun progression, those kind of things often puzzle the new members: "so many buns, where to start?", and" why this popular bun X doesn't work for me?", and "I'm at APL and my hair is too short to do anything with".

lillielil
March 2nd, 2016, 10:42 AM
Thanks so much for writing out instructions and taking a picture, Arctic! At my length/thickness I can make a LWB reliably but not really anything beyond that in the progression that meteor outlined, so adding a few to the repertoire that require less length instead of more is excellent.

Arctic
March 2nd, 2016, 10:49 AM
To add to the braid elastic discussion:

^ Sounds great, lillielil! :D
By the way, I should mention that there is no need to tie off braids (they hold very well when they are bunned and pinned) - -

My comment about the elastic was meant to be regarding to suggestion to start any style with a ponytail. I definitely do not tie off braids unless they are loose. I just braid to the very end and then tuck them under. - -

- - I tie off the end, start to put up the bun and when I reach the tie I slip it off and continue bunning.

Yes, it can unbraid at the bottom a bit during the bunning process, but that's probably just the last one or two wraps, so even if the unbraided tassel is long, it goes nicely in the bun - I find it doesn't really have to be braided to the very end, since that section gets tucked in. ;)

- - I couldn't even remove the tie at the end of the bunning process, it would just all fall apart. - -

I also have the type of hair that doesn't need to be secured with an elastic when I make a braided bun. It's a bit of a mystery. Unbunned my braid unravels almost immediately without an elastic. My hair isn't super grippy although not super slippery either. I also have pretty blunt ends (although also have some layering), so all and all I would assume I wouldn't be a candidate for the no elastics needed group. I need to be careful how I secure the bun though, the spot of the bun where the tassel approx. is, needs something to hold it. If I can't insert my fork or stick at that spot (it being in wrong angle or something), I will need something extra: claw clip, bobby pin, or U-pin.

Arctic
March 3rd, 2016, 04:03 AM
I have heard back for someone who tried the 3-strand disc bun, and it worked for her very well. She has longer and thicker hair than me, so it looks promising that this bun might really work for people with quite different hair stats.

Beezle
March 3rd, 2016, 10:38 AM
Thank you so much Meteor, this variation has solved the lump-in-the-middle sydrome of my minuscule LWB so it's visually stretched out (or so I imagine as I haven't seen it from the back, but it FEELS stretched so I'm happy)
[/quote... (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q ...)[/QUOTE]

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 11:28 AM
Thank you so much Meteor, this variation has solved the lump-in-the-middle sydrome of my minuscule LWB so it's visually stretched out (or so I imagine as I haven't seen it from the back, but it FEELS stretched so I'm happy)
[/quote... (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q ...)

YAY! So happy it worked for you, Beezle! :D
And schmetterlinchen's whole channel has quite a few really helpful hair tutorials! ;)

I have heard back for someone who tried the 3-strand disc bun, and it worked for her very well. She has longer and thicker hair than me, so it looks promising that this bun might really work for people with quite different hair stats.

That's awesome, Arctic! :) I wonder if maybe a new thread would get even more people to see your 3-strand Disc Bun, and so more people will be able to try it out? :) It's such an excellent bun! :applause

SteelRose
March 3rd, 2016, 01:41 PM
^ Most definitely! :agree: I have a problem with disc buns causing tangling at current length, unfortunately (lots of wrapping at the base/stem in opposite directions does it), but I bet the more sections are created, the shorter/thicker the hair can be for the bun to be do-able. :thumbsup:
So, the length/bun progression is probably something like this:
3-strand disc bun -> disc bun -> LWB -> double-loop LWBs (spidermom's, l-infinity, etc etc) and some variations of LWB for long hair (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNK0EPX7G1Q or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08Sqx1uuCdE, etc...)

meteor I have never seen the double loop variations. I am going to have to try them. At knee the LWB is getting very lumpy with all the wraps of the length. Will update on progress! :)

meteor
March 3rd, 2016, 01:55 PM
^ Great! I hope they work for you, SteelRose!
If the long versions of LWB don't work, take a look at these :) :
- Chameleon bun (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr1gwxHBgRM or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo_aDvhm9o4),
- Spidermom's (2 variants) (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCvC_MU0To8),
- L-Infinity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fzn4gNWIVQ),
- Double-wrapped L-Infinity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3EcIu22znA),
- Double-wrapped Alternate L-Infinity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrEha6RhvxA) - Alternate L-Infinity - just switching direction and going from the bottom, but otherwise the same as L-Infinity

Double-wrapped ones require more length than single-wrap ones, but can be more stable (and less lumpy in the middle) for great lengths. ;)

I really hope some of these will work for you! :cheer: