PDA

View Full Version : Most gentle demi dye brand? So sick of henndigo

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 10:25 AM
Hi everyone! I have been using henna and indigo to dye my blonde hair black for over a year now. While I love the color it's such a pain. I have to do a three step every two weeks to a month. (sometimes four. Indigo application several times after henna) My roots still are always a tad lighter than the rest and indigo gives me headaches.

I think I'm going to try demi dyes again. Hair dye ruined my hair in the past but everything I read says a dark demi shouldn't be that bad.

Does anyone have any brand recommendation? I'm thinking of going to Sally's to get it.

Thanks!

Anje
February 26th, 2016, 10:41 AM
I wouldn't do a demi with a developer if I were you. Peroxide + indigo = green. :P

What about a "vegetable dye" of thing Manic Panic/Punky/La Riche/Adore/Special Effects variety? I'm sure it would fade a bit (though you can and usually would leave those on a lot longer than the 15 minutes the package often calls for), but it wouldn't be damaging and it would probably be easier to handle than a bunch of crumbly indigo is. There's also Elumen, which I believe is a bit different and more permanent, but also is a direct dye.

hennalonghair
February 26th, 2016, 11:52 AM
Hi Sinthia:waving:
I completely agree with anje. Indigo is temperamental and doesn't do well with developer, bleach , chlorine or other harsh chemicals. There is a possibility of your hair turning green.
I'm also not sure what colour would cover black but I've used this brand before and it's very gentle. It does gradually wash out and is quite messy. Not sure if it's as messy as manic panic though.
Mahogany is a very nice colour and will most likely show up.
It fades put to more of a dark henna colour after many washes.

I completely understand wanting to change up an overly laborious hair routine.
That's one reason why I wanted to grow in the greys. Too much maintenance.
http://www.herbatintusa.com/semi-permanentvegetal.aspx

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 11:57 AM
I'm not trying to lighten my hair. My roots are blonde, and the rest of my hair is black from henndigo. Would the demi with a black dye and 10 developer turn my roots green? If some got on the henndigoed hair could it lift it and turn it green?

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 11:57 AM
Sadly the veggie dyes do not deposit on my hair AT ALL :(

missrandie
February 26th, 2016, 12:12 PM
I'm not trying to lighten my hair. My roots are blonde, and the rest of my hair is black from henndigo. Would the demi with a black dye and 10 developer turn my roots green? If some got on the henndigoed hair could it lift it and turn it green?

Sadly, I have heard nothing good about ANY developer when it comes to indigo. Even though your henndigo is dark and the demi dye is dark, I'm afraid you would come away with a greenish cast to your hair.

Unfortunately, I have no solutions for you, but I hope you find something that works!!

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 12:20 PM
Darn I am so sad lol! Guess I'm stuck with hendigo.. Although I wonder if I had a green cast and put blue manic panic over it if it would make a blue black?

Not in the mood to try though right now! So glad I posted here thank you

Anje
February 26th, 2016, 12:32 PM
Darn I am so sad lol! Guess I'm stuck with hendigo.. Although I wonder if I had a green cast and put blue manic panic over it if it would make a blue black?

Not in the mood to try though right now! So glad I posted here thank you

Maybe? I'm not sure. Unfortunately, I think your only real option is to strand-test it. Maybe a 10 volume developer will be mild enough that it won't change the indigo, but I wouldn't want to find that out on my head if I were you. Heck, I wonder if you could dilute developer down further (maybe to 5 volume) and still get an effect?

lapushka
February 26th, 2016, 12:52 PM
I think the trouble with blonde and going black is, there needs to be a filler in between (red pigment). Same goes for indigo & henna. If you go straight black with veggie dyes, it might turn green also. I'm not 100% sure, but strand testing definitely needs to happen.

I'd go for a semi rather than a demi, but that's me.

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 04:21 PM
Good ideas! I will test sometime! For now here I am sitting with gloop henna on my head :p Semis dont show up in my hair at all sadly

ooo
February 26th, 2016, 05:01 PM
Back in my teens I had bleached hair, put pure indigo over it. So it turned a very weird dirty-grey-blonde. very patchy. I ended up just putting a level 2 box dye in dark brown (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91njD1RWPAL._SY355_.jpg) over it and it went fine. You could just let a professional do your roots the first time so there is as little over lap with the indigo as possible.

Kitten1030
February 26th, 2016, 06:00 PM
I hendigo but my roots are completely gray and the henna red roots start popping out too soon for all the trouble of two step. I've tried Adore but it is so messy and kind of flat looking so I don't bother. I have also(in a pinch because my roots were making me look like a hag and I had somewhere to go looking respectable and no time to devote half a day to my hair) just used a chemical box dye on my roots shudder: the horror! I honestly didn't even think about it possibly turning my indigo green. I've done it about 4 times now with no issue though. Feels bad but my hair looked great. Strand test but give it a shot. All hope is not lost.
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/anonymouse24/image_zpsrgwyzvtd.jpeg (http://s742.photobucket.com/user/anonymouse24/media/image_zpsrgwyzvtd.jpeg.html)
http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx65/anonymouse24/image_zpsjn9kcoon.jpeg (http://s742.photobucket.com/user/anonymouse24/media/image_zpsjn9kcoon.jpeg.html)
No greenies! I actually chemical colored last weekend because I had someplace to go and no time to hendigo

spidermom
February 26th, 2016, 07:02 PM
How long did you leave the deposit-only dye on your hair? It takes at least 8 hours for me to get good color from them; none of that 20-minute stuff!

Sinthia
February 26th, 2016, 07:52 PM
Everything I've been reading online says I should be okay using a demi black dye since it's darker.. I'm not lifting hair. Next time I'm going to do a strand test under my hair and try it cause I am just insanely sick of this and hope for no green! . My roots never match and the headaches are such a pain!

I've left on semi like adore and manic panic for over 8 hours and it washed right off my hair

rhosyn_du
February 27th, 2016, 04:11 PM
I can't speak to the interaction with henndigo, but I used to dye my then ash-blonette (it's gotten darker as I've gotten older) hair black with a drugstore demi and didn't have any noticeable damage. I used Natural Instincts, and even though it was a demi, it never faded after my first touch up application, so I only did my roots from there on out. I grew from shoulder to almost tailbone using it with no issue, and this was before I learned about protective updos, so I was even wearing it down most of that time.