PDA

View Full Version : Question about keeping ends moisturized

Llama
February 24th, 2016, 06:57 PM
What is the best way to keep your ends moisturized when you aren't on a wash day?
I wash my hair 2 times a week usually and they always feel most moisturized on the days I have washed.
Is it bad for your hair to add oils to the ends on day 2, day 3, AND day 4? Would using a serum or leave in conditioner each day cause issues? Should your ends be dampened before applying oils/serums/leave ins?
What works for you?
This has always been a point of confusion for me.

endersworld
February 24th, 2016, 07:04 PM
I sometimes rub a bit of coconut oil on the ends of my hair to help moisturize it! I don't see why doing that or a leave-in on consecutive days would hurt - I usually do it a maximum of every other day, but my hair holds moisture pretty well.

I've also found that deep conditioning before I wash my hair helps a ton! I usually coat my hair in coconut oil, wrap it up in a walmart bag, and leave it alone for an hour or two, then do my normal shampoo/condition routine. It may be worth trying a deep condition, to see if that helps.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
February 24th, 2016, 08:05 PM
I put salve on my ends every day, sometimes twice a day. It hasn't caused any issues for me (although I do wash every other day). Sometimes if my ends are especially dry, I will mist the end of my braid with water first and then put the salve. Other times I don't bother misting it first. I think it really really helps, before I started doing this my ends would be so dry and split all the time. Also, just keeping my hair in a bun helps. Whenever it's in a bun all day the ends tend to feel softer and more moisturized when I take it down later than if it's down or hanging in a braid with the ends exposed all day.

lapis_lazuli
February 24th, 2016, 08:19 PM
I use coconut oil on the last few inches of my hair when it's damp (right after I wash my hair which happens every 7-14 days). I never apply it dry. The oil helps to lock in the moisture into the hair fibres, keeping it hydrated/moisturized for longer. You can use a spray bottle to dampen your ends and then apply it if you feel like you need to oil more often, but I find oiling once every week or two after my shower is enough. :)

Mavi
February 24th, 2016, 08:23 PM
If I feel like my ends are too dry I will damped them and then truck them in a bun. Makes them stay damp for as long as possible.

Islandgrrl
February 24th, 2016, 08:24 PM
I wouldn't oil dry ends myself. That would, in my mind, seal moisture OUT rather than sealing it in. I should probably oil more often than I do. When I bother with it, I've lately been using a blend of argan oil and coconut oil on moderately damp hair which then gets bunned to get the ends out of harm's way.

lapis_lazuli
February 24th, 2016, 08:29 PM
I wouldn't oil dry ends myself. That would, in my mind, seal moisture OUT rather than sealing it in.

^Forgot to mention this. I believe this is the case if you oil dry.

missrandie
February 24th, 2016, 08:41 PM
I'm a personal fan of the rinse out oil method.. That keeps the moisture in my ends for a few days.

Llama
February 24th, 2016, 09:05 PM
Awesome, thanks for the help! Just wasn't sure about build up and whatnot. Sounds like wetting the hair and putting some oil on should be okay though.

Arctic
February 25th, 2016, 01:46 AM
I have different hair type and I wash much more often, and my hair isn't very dry type... but if my ends feel dry I either dampen them a tiny bit and apply leave in (no protein, no silicone), or skip the water and only apply leave in. Hiding the ends in a bun also helps.

I use my rinse out conditioner as a leave in, because after years of searching I didn't find actual leave in that I liked.

I don't use oily products, butters or oils (other than very rarely in deep treatment) because they don't suit my skin.

Complexity
February 25th, 2016, 12:04 PM
If my ends are feeling especially dry (thanks, Canadian winter!), I moisten them with a spray bottle and use a little coconut oil.

I'm currently stretching my washes about 7 or so days, but find that I need to oil the ends at least twice in that time.

meteor
February 25th, 2016, 12:21 PM
I do what I call a mini-LOC: run my hands under tap water, run my wet hands over length and ends, then spread a big dollop of conditioner and a few drops of oil to "seal in" moisture.

I do this on ad-hoc basis (when ends feel dry), either right before putting hair up for the day or before going to bed.
(I should mention that for leave-in purposes, I try to use the kinds of oils that don't solidify at current temperatures, so coconut oil, shea butter, cocoa butter are out for me, unfortunately, during cold winter months.)

Jupiter Jones
February 25th, 2016, 01:04 PM
I can only second the Rinse Out Oil method. I used to give my hair a leave-in oil treatment over night, pre-wash, and it's been alright. And then I tried the ROO method for the first time recently, and it was a huge difference. My ends generally aren't particularly dry, just an "average" amount, but combining water with oil really seems to be a whole new level of moisturizing. (I feel like I'm advertising for a product on TV, haha). I haven't re-oiled since washing it three days ago, and my ends are still soo incredibly soft and strong and (seem) moisturized.

I had never considered that dry oiling might exclude moisture rather than include it. Interesting. Seems to explain a lot for my hair...

Also, I normally use pure avocado oil and have quite fine, slightly wavy hair.

Good luck!:) Beautiful hair, by the way!

Anje
February 25th, 2016, 01:29 PM
I'm known to stick my braid tassel in the sink, smear some conditioner on it, rinse again, and then oil it and stick it in a bun. Call it an itty-bitty mini CO wash. It really does the trick when everything else is fine but the ends just need a bit of a refresh. :)

Llama
February 25th, 2016, 04:10 PM
Thanks again for the suggestions!

I'm known to stick my braid tassel in the sink, smear some conditioner on it, rinse again, and then oil it and stick it in a bun. Call it an itty-bitty mini CO wash. It really does the trick when everything else is fine but the ends just need a bit of a refresh. :)

You are a genius! I never thought about doing this. Definitely another good option :)

meteor
February 25th, 2016, 08:05 PM
^ Oh yes! :agree: Anje, that's such an excellent idea! :thumbsup: